iPad for notetaking with stylus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GreenGrowTheDollars

iPad for notetaking with stylus

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:48 pm

We're looking at options for using an iPad to take notes while meeting with clients. Using a stylus and the iPad like a pad of paper seems friendlier than typing with a keyboard.

The Apple Store rep was fairly clueless when it came to answering questions related to business use. (And, for the first time ever, it was a rep who kept checking her phone, looking elsewhere, and generally annoyed with us because we didn't want to do art on the iPad. Or we were old. Or she had better things to do. :annoyed )

What we want:
1. Use a template set up in Pages or a google doc (template would have space for writing in the client's name, date, topic, time) along with the rest of the page blank for notes. When a client comes in, grab a copy of the template, update with that client's info, and start taking notes.

2. Save the notes in a folder tagged with that client's name along with other notes for that client.

3. Ability to dictate notes on the page post-meeting and have those show up as text.

4. Ability to subsequently edit/annotate the pages. (She kept suggesting saving the pages as a pdf, but that seems like it would be harder to edit.)

5. Ability to print wirelessly to our printer.

6. Ability to switch between note-taking and a web browser.

The mini is clearly too small. Are there any differences with the other models for the purposes we're focusing on that would incline you to one version or the other? Any gotchas that would make you wary of this approach?

bondsr4me

Re: iPad for notetaking with stylus

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 pm

I use Apple’s own Notes. I like to jot down ticker symbols and other info when I read Barrons or WSJ or Apple News.
All my Notes go to iCloud so I can see/edit on my MacBookPro or even my iPhone 6S Plus.

I would think Notes would work well for you.

Maybe try it out using staff members to see if it is suitable.

Good Luck

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 pm

There are many devices that can use styli. You might look at the android devices, plus a large part of the functionality you want could be found in third party apps.
https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-c ... ng-1282824
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-note-taking-app

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:20 pm
I would think Notes would work well for you.
If you want to know what Notes can do:
https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/notes

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Fintechnick

Post by Fintechnick » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Check out Notability or GoodNotes

capwrmt

Post by capwrmt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:04 pm

+1 for Goodnotes

Howie

Post by Howie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Evernote.

turbospey

Post by turbospey » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:30 pm

An iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil and Notability are my suggestions. Goodnotes is another option, but I'm more familiar with Notability.

A template can be imported to Notability (from Pages, Docs, etc) as a PDF and is easy to annotate. The annotated PDF is easily saved to Drive or iCloud, emailed, printed etc. Sounds like this could meet your needs.

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:48 pm

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:48 pm
We're looking at options for using an iPad to take notes while meeting with clients. Using a stylus and the iPad like a pad of paper seems friendlier than typing with a keyboard.

The Apple Store rep was fairly clueless when it came to answering questions related to business use. (And, for the first time ever, it was a rep who kept checking her phone, looking elsewhere, and generally annoyed with us because we didn't want to do art on the iPad. Or we were old. Or she had better things to do. :annoyed )

What we want:
1. Use a template set up in Pages or a google doc (template would have space for writing in the client's name, date, topic, time) along with the rest of the page blank for notes. When a client comes in, grab a copy of the template, update with that client's info, and start taking notes.

2. Save the notes in a folder tagged with that client's name along with other notes for that client.

3. Ability to dictate notes on the page post-meeting and have those show up as text.

4. Ability to subsequently edit/annotate the pages. (She kept suggesting saving the pages as a pdf, but that seems like it would be harder to edit.)

5. Ability to print wirelessly to our printer.

6. Ability to switch between note-taking and a web browser.

The mini is clearly too small. Are there any differences with the other models for the purposes we're focusing on that would incline you to one version or the other? Any gotchas that would make you wary of this approach?
Something like this might work, since would be used by various people. https://www.opennotes.org

I, personally, use an iPad Pro (12 inch), apple pencil and Goodnotes 5. My college-age daughter also uses the same.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet. If you're willing to switch operating systems, I recommend looking into that.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:01 am

Latest iPad Air supports Apple Pencil 1
iPad Pro supports Apple Pencil 2
iPad Pro significantly more expensive

Apple Pencil 2 supports magnetic charging, double tap to change writing modes. Pencil 1 charges with (per my son) male lightning port which plugs into iPad (confirm this) which seems fragile to me.

Evernote has an excellent reputation.