Can't open links in Thunderbird

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

Can't open links in Thunderbird

Post by newbie003 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:11 am

A few months ago (just getting around now to investigating) Thunderbird on my wife's computer stopped opening URLs. She gets this error:

Thunderbird has been updated several times since then. Windows has Chrome as the default browser (I tried changing it to Firefox and IE and the error persisted).

I've tried fixes such as making sure these (and I think some others I looked at as well) are all true in the Thunderbird config editor:

network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.https
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ftp

Aside from completely uninstalling/re-installing Thunderbird (which is my next step if nothing else works), any thoughts/suggestions?

She has a somewhat old Sony AIO (6 years old maybe) running Win 10 Home.

Thank you!

whodidntante

Re: Can't open links in Thunderbird

Post by whodidntante » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:23 am

Did you do the thing that is mentioned in the error message? You didn't say you did.

Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Yes. Windows default app for browser is already set to Chrome. I also tried Firefox and IE.

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 pm

I found this: Hyperlinks in Messages Not Working

Next step after verifying default browser is:

Check that no application is specified for the HTTP content type
In Thunderbird, you can specify an action that occurs when you click on various types of attachments and inline content. If the action for the HTTP / HTTPS content type is set incorrectly, this will prevent links from opening correctly.

If the operating system's default browser is specified correctly as described above, it is not necessary to specify an action for the HTTP / HTTPS content type. To check this setting, select Tools > Options and click on the Attachments panel. If HTTP and/or HTTPS are listed in the Content Type column, either delete the action or ensure the specified action is correct.

Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:39 pm

So the fix was to go into Tools, Options, Attachments, click on html content and change it from Chrome to Always Ask.

Then, click a link in an email, navigate to Chrome.exe, click save for future use, and continue.

That worked!

I think Thunderbird was trying to use an old location of Chrome (or something like that). So it was correctly following Windows instructions to use Chrome as default browser, it was just trying to open a bad/old/non-existing chrome.exe.