iPad vs. iPad Pro vs. 2-in-1 laptop ...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
srt7

iPad vs. iPad Pro vs. 2-in-1 laptop ...

Post by srt7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 pm

I am in the market for a secondary device to use for entertainment consumption (Netflix etc.) but also some light productivity (email etc.) in a pinch. I am currently using a Thinkpad T430 (non-work machine) which is starting to show its age so looking to replace it. I am debating between iPad vs. iPad Pro (11 inch) vs. one of those 2-in-1 laptops.

iPad is probably more than sufficient for my needs but is not future proof.
iPad Pro is future proof to quite an extent but is at least twice as expensive as the iPad. i could add a keyboard and pencil to it so takes me closer to a laptop.
2-in-1 laptops are all windows based and function as both tablet and laptop. I tried out a few at my local BestBuy and they don't have the style or grace of an iPad but they do have that twin advantage. I'm sure it does a great job as a laptop but I question its function as a tablet. Primarily because of lack of apps.

If anyone here has any inputs on the above three devices I would love to hear it!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Afty

Re: iPad vs. iPad Pro vs. 2-in-1 laptop ...

Post by Afty » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 pm

The new iPad Air is a good compromise between the base iPad and the Pro. You can also add a keyboard and pencil to the Air.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 am

At the price you can now get a new iPad (~$250), is the future-proofing a big deal?
Secondary device. Mostly entertainment consumption. The new iPad does work with the pencil (version 1). Not sure about available keyboards.

Disclaimer: I just bought the iPad a few months ago to supplement my iPad Mini 2 (which cost me $250 refurbished 2+ years ago). Mini for out-and-about; iPad mostly for home.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:25 am

srt7 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 pm
I am in the market for a secondary device to use for entertainment consumption (Netflix etc.) but also some light productivity (email etc.) in a pinch. I am currently using a Thinkpad T430 (non-work machine) which is starting to show its age so looking to replace it. I am debating between iPad vs. iPad Pro (11 inch) vs. one of those 2-in-1 laptops.

iPad is probably more than sufficient for my needs but is not future proof.
iPad Pro is future proof to quite an extent but is at least twice as expensive as the iPad. i could add a keyboard and pencil to it so takes me closer to a laptop.
2-in-1 laptops are all windows based and function as both tablet and laptop. I tried out a few at my local BestBuy and they don't have the style or grace of an iPad but they do have that twin advantage. I'm sure it does a great job as a laptop but I question its function as a tablet. Primarily because of lack of apps.

If anyone here has any inputs on the above three devices I would love to hear it!
Unless the productivity column has too many things besides emails, I would stick with the cheaper version. I am all for spending on the best machine you can buy but from what you have described iPad would do the job well and save you some $$. The price isn't that high of a new iPad that you should worry about future proofing it.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:11 am

Just got the new 2019 iPad Air including some extra storage. Very happy with it. My prior iPad was 4.5 years old but got noticeably worse after the iOS 12.3.1 upgrade.

Note that the iPad Air only supports Apple Pencil 1. Not pencil 2. Not an issue for me.

Topic Author
srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 am

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like the iPad with a Pencil (version 1) will work best for me.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc