Bee removal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
shell921

Bee removal

Post by shell921 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am

I just paid $200 to have a bee hive removed from an irrigation valve box.
The bee remover lady was nice and was here about an hour. She cleaned the box and put a piece of screen over the opening. She told me there would be forager bees returning and they would die. This bothers me. I guess they can not join other hives. Anyway, I wonder why irrigation valve boxes are not sold with screens
covering the openings? I have 2 other valve boxes on my property and am thinking I should do something
about screening the openings on these so I don't have to pay for move hive removals and feel sad about foragers
dying! Anyone have experience with this?

whodidntante

Re: Bee removal

Post by whodidntante » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 am

You can go to the hardware store and buy a huge roll of screen for very little money, to prevent future deaths of foragers. It is easy to cut and to work with, but you should wear leather gloves because you might poke your fingers. Perhaps you should print out a map to the new location of the hive and mount it nearby, so at least the returning foragers have a fighting chance at life.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am

shell921 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am
Anyone have experience with this?
You seem to have experience with this because you just saw it done. Why can't you yourself copy what just happened with your other irrigation valve box?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 am

shell921 wrote:
I just paid $200 to have a bee hive removed from an irrigation valve box.
Shell921, that is cheap, I brought a vacant derelict house and as caution in order to prevent injury or scaring away contractors it cost me $2000 for the bee remover to take siding away and wax.

Since I was not there, not sure if they killed bees or not, but it was hard finding labor, the area in question was approx 4ft x 8 ft. This was most expensive honey ever, embedded between plaster and fiberglass insulation, and possibly lead paint and asbestos.

Bruce T

Post by Bruce T » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:23 am

If they are honey bees, many county ag extension educators maintain a list of local bee-keepers that will collect natural hives/swarms.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 am

retire2022 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:12 am
it cost me $2000 for the bee remover to take siding away and wax.
Hmmm. I would strongly consider offering the bees a lease.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:03 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 am
retire2022 wrote:
They probably wouldn't be interested. Lead paint gives them hives.

yuk yuk
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:03 pm
whodidntante wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 am
retire2022 wrote:
They probably wouldn't be interested. Lead paint gives them hives.

yuk yuk
There were also three squatters on the property as well, gave two of them a happy meal and they left.

I wanted to hire beekeeper to remove bees, told them in July 2016 I'm not ready since I did not close. The bee keeper told me I need to remove them by August/September since they will begin to move indoors around that time. By the time I was ready to hire them, her husband passed away probably from drug over dose, opioid. The beekeeper later gave me a phone number of her future son-in law, I'd google his phone number, got his name from Spoeko.com, and found out he was arrested for opioids.

more on this story:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=276265&hilit=land#p4447032

Post by 123 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm

May and June are peak honeybee swarming months in many parts of the country (depends on weather and temperature). When bees swam they sometimes temporarily alight in a tree or bush until they pick a permanent home. Of course sometimes they just stay at the first spot. If you get them removed it's possible a subsequent swarm would pick the same attractive spot so screening areas off, where feasible, can be a very good idea. Of course there are some areas, like under eaves above any entry door, that you may not be able to screen off. I've had some success preventing recurrence of bee and wasp nests under eaves by using that wasp and hornet spray as a preventative in those areas after they were favorited by wasps year after year. It seemed to work its charms better in dry weather.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:27 pm

4nursebee says:
Don't worry be happy.
Never heard of a valve box being home to bees.
4nursebee

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:50 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:05 am
shell921 wrote:
Anyone have experience with this?
You seem to have experience with this because you just saw it done. Why can't you yourself copy what just happened with your other irrigation valve box?
+1

OP, why even post this. Go get some screen and get it done on your other boxes. This thread should be locked as other recent ones were. I can't say it, but a moderator can.

Topic Author
shell921

Post by shell921 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone - I was just wondering if any of you bought irrigation valve boxes with screened over openings. I too had never heard of bees making a hive in an irrigation valve box until now! I can send you a link to the photos that were taken if you PM me. The box was nearly FULL of honeycomb.
I am not complaining about the cost-yes $200 is cheap but I think I may have at least 2 more [ possibly 3] valve boxes on my 2.2 acre property and I do not want to have to go through this again. Yes, I can go to the hardware store and buy the screen and do it myself. Thanks again.
@shallowpockets - sorry if my post was too "stupid" for you and "not worth posting". Feel free not to read stupid posts. :confused

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:49 pm

My parents were beekeepers and in my youth, I helped them capture hundreds of colonies of bees that made homes in just about anything you can think of that is big enough to store several pounds of honeycomb. When a colony becomes to low on space, the queen lays eggs for a new queen, takes about half the hive and departs, looking for another empty space to inhabit. Beekeepers become pretty adept at providing enough space for them so this doesn't happen often. It isn't rare but it isn't common. So the chances of another swarm of bees inhabiting your irrigation box is probably pretty slim.

As an adult who designed equipment for a living, protecting it from bees is not something we would even consider. Perhaps if we were designing something to be used in the beekeeping industry, we would but not for the average joe. If you are worried that lightening, or in this case bees, might strike in the same place twice, like others suggested, some tape and wire mesh can prevent it.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Over the years, various pollinators have made a home community in my irrigation control box.

Wasps, by far, the most nasty.

I too have experienced a honey-combed irrigation control box.

Each year now, in the spring, I do two things.

First: I seal the hole with chewing gum. It lasts all summer, then degrades all winter.

Second: I hang a paper nest from the irrigation box, which is a nest deterrent. Here's a sampling from Amazon:
Wasp Nest Decoys

I've not had any nests nor hanger-outers since I begin this gum and paper program.