New Camry Questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anonenigma

New Camry Questions

Post by anonenigma » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:54 pm

Getting ready to replace my 2000 Camry with a 2019 Camry SE. My wife prefers the look of the SE over the LE, and beyond the aesthetics (she cares, me not so much), the small price difference ($1K) buys a tire pressure monitor, fake leather (Softex) upholstery that might be longer lasting/easier to keep clean than the fabric on the LE, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

The outstanding question is whether to spend an additional $1,200 on a package that includes the blind spot detector and smartkey/push button start. The money isn't significant to me, but are these worthwhile additions? I don't want to do anything that will require monthly charges at the end of a trial period - assume smartkey won't?

Should I care about wheel locks? Carpet floor and trunk mats (I'm in So. Cal so don't need all-weather)? Any other options of any value?

decapod10

Re: New Camry Questions

Post by decapod10 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:59 am

anonenigma wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:54 pm
Getting ready to replace my 2000 Camry with a 2019 Camry SE. My wife prefers the look of the SE over the LE, and beyond the aesthetics (she cares, me not so much), the small price difference ($1K) buys a tire pressure monitor, fake leather (Softex) upholstery that might be longer lasting/easier to keep clean than the fabric on the LE, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

The outstanding question is whether to spend an additional $1,200 on a package that includes the blind spot detector and smartkey/push button start. The money isn't significant to me, but are these worthwhile additions? I don't want to do anything that will require monthly charges at the end of a trial period - assume smartkey won't?

Should I care about wheel locks? Carpet floor and trunk mats (I'm in So. Cal so don't need all-weather)? Any other options of any value?
I personally like the blind spot detector and smart key ignition. There shouldn’t be any monthly charge for it.

I also personally like parking sensors and keyless entry.

I would say most people probably would disagree with me though.

Edit: forgot to mention, I have Honda rather than Toyota, But I imagine the systems are similar

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:10 am

The blind spot detector is a great safety feature. The other options you mentioned are less important in my view.

If you can easily afford this, I would go for it.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:59 am

Well, I don't know what your circumstances are, however, if it was me and my wife wanted to spend +/- $1K to have something a bit nicer, I would just do it and not even give it much consideration. I don't mean to imply that $1K is nothing-----however, in the big scheme of things and considering the length of time you likely will keep the vehicle-----it is insignificant.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:11 am

The best option you can go for is to get an accord or Mazda 6 instead.

Both of those vehicles have better interior design, better interior quality, better ergonomics, better refinement, better suspensions, better performance, better handling, better exterior styling, less road noise. They’re so close to Toyota in reliability you’ll never notice the difference in that regard which is basically the only thing Toyota has a perceived advantage in (Toyota ranked #2 brand in consumer reports Mazda is 3)

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 am

The only thing that will need a subscription is satellite radio and possibly the Entune infotainment system. Toyota tried to sell me an Entune subscription after the first 3 years were up. No one signed up and they ended up giving it out for free. Entune 3.0 is significantly updated.

Leather is easier to clean. It is not longer lasting. The leather in my garaged 2009 vehicle is markedly worse looking than my 2005 with fabric. It is cracked in places and will soon tear.

Tire pressure monitor or TPMS is standard on all vehicles 2008 and up. You're paying for it no matter what trim level you buy. Consider it ~$500 replacement at 10 years after the batteries run out. They don't service the sensor battery. You replace the entire sensor at each and every wheel. Yes. The low tire pressure warning light is permanently on in my 2009 vehicle. I refuse to pay this tax. I cannot use a piece of tape to obscure the warning because it is not an idiot light but a warning sentence across my instrument gauge.

I think you'll like the smart key push button start system. Toyota uses one of the more intuitive systems. Along with push button start, you can lock and unlock your car and trunk without pushing a button or taking the keys out of your pocket. This is really useful after shopping or raining as you can just grab the handle and it unlocks. You can even set the interior lights to turn on as you approach the car.

Wheel locks are useless and cause more problems than it solves. You can look up the amount of theft going on with the Honda Acord Sport rims. They are a popular target and no amount of wheel locks have deterred dedicated thieves. All wheel locks do is make it hard for you to change tires as you suddenly forget you placed them back at home or should it be in the glove box where thieves can find it?

Oh and the leather steering wheel already ripped on my 2009. The plastic on steering wheel on my 2005? Looks fine. Yeah, I don't like leather. They certainly feel and look nice when new but they are not good for the Long haul.

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:54 am

One thing I never liked the rare times that I've considered Toyotas is that figuring out what to add to which level is too complicated. Honda keeps it simple with their levels (LX, EX, EX-L, Touring), and you don't have to study much more than that before buying. Plus I believe all of Honda's safety features may be on all of their vehicles. So, if you're just buying a Camry now because you've had one for 18+ years, an Accord might be worth a test drive.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:22 am

I can't imagine buying a new car in 2019 that didn't have blind spot detector or a smart key at a minimum.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 am

blind spot detector - 10000%. I'm not a gimmicks person and tend not to spend on higher trims, but now that I have it, I'll never buy another vehicle without it. I'm on the short side - not sure if your wife is - but the blind spots in almost every car nowadays makes it much more difficult for me than the older models. It's extremely helpful for shorter people. I love this feature.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

mick-madden

Post by mick-madden » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:39 am

Recently rented a new Camry for the weekend and was extremely impressed with the added cruise control features: sensors for road line and car in front, it automatically slows down as you approach an unsafe distance to the car in front.. so great for long highway driving. Do those features come as standard now?
No fear, No envy, No meanness

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:53 am

One thing to consider on the SE is if you are OK with the ride compared to the LE or XLE. The SE has bigger wheels and a different suspension so it may ride a little rougher.

I would definitely get BSM. Toyota's option packages drive me nuts. Recently test drove a Camry LE hybrid but BSM only comes with a $2,000+ option package and it is hard to find. Not sure what I will get yet.

mokaThought

Post by mokaThought » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:54 am

I don't trust the push-button start systems. There's nothing wrong with just a key.

As for blind spot monitors, consider whether installing convex mirrors ("blind spot mirrors") would do the trick. Wife and I had considered a car purchase for the blind spot monitoring, but I installed some convex mirrors on her car, and she said it was a "game-changer." I would know since I'm a truck driver. :)
October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February. —Mark Twain

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:00 am

Car decisions fit into a category I think of as cost-per-use analysis. For something that one uses daily and which affects daily health and well being, I'm always willing to spend more to get quality and additional helpful features.

So I would pay the small premium for the additional features. Then again I drive my cars at least 10 years so on a cost per use basis the extra thousand or two is negligible. Especially features like the blind side assist or smart cruise control--my husband drove with our daughter from SoFla to DC to move her up there in a new Camry a couple of years ago and he still talks about what a great feature that one is :D

I do the same with mattresses, I won't cheap out on the piece of furniture that literally affects how I feel every single day. Kitchen tools, shoes etc. I try not to emulate my username as it were.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:01 am

Car decisions fit into a category I think of as cost-per-use analysis. For something that one uses daily and which affects daily health and well being, I'm always willing to spend more to get quality and additional helpful features.

So I would pay the small premium for the additional features. Then again I drive my cars at least 10 years so on a cost per use basis the extra thousand or two is negligible. Especially features like the blind side assist or smart cruise control--my husband drove with our daughter from SoFla to DC to move her up there in a new Camry a couple of years ago and he still talks about what a great feature that one is :D

I do the same with mattresses, I won't cheap out on the piece of furniture that literally affects how I feel every single day. Kitchen tools, shoes etc. I try not to emulate my username as it were.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:21 am

I'd pass. Blind spot monitoring is worthless at best in a sedan, and at worst usually just becomes a crutch for bad drivers. I'm tired of being cut off by people I'm overtaking who can't judge relative speeds, and think they can just change lanes whenever they want because some stupid light on their mirror is off.

Push button start is mainly useful in winter so it likely has little value to you in SoCal. Not very effective for cooling down a hot car using the A/C.

Personally I'd take around half of the $1200 and get a professional window tint done on the car which will keep it much cooler in the summer.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:40 am

Winston19 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:53 am
One thing to consider on the SE is if you are OK with the ride compared to the LE or XLE. The SE has bigger wheels and a different suspension so it may ride a little rougher.

I would definitely get BSM. Toyota's option packages drive me nuts. Recently test drove a Camry LE hybrid but BSM only comes with a $2,000+ option package and it is hard to find. Not sure what I will get yet.
+1

We bought a 2018 Camry last July. We test drove the SE and the XLE over the same bumpy roads. We quickly realized that we did NOT want the SE. Ride was just too bumpy. This was a little unfortunate because we both really liked the bright blue color which only came on the SE.

We have the blind spot monitoring and also the push button start. Never had these before. BSM has been useful a couple of times. Push button start is not something we have to have but it is nice.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 am

decapod10 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:59 am
anonenigma wrote:

I personally like the blind spot detector and smart key ignition. There shouldn’t be any monthly charge for it.

I also personally like parking sensors and keyless entry.

I would say most people probably would disagree with me though.

Edit: forgot to mention, I have Honda rather than Toyota, But I imagine the systems are similar
+1

I have 2018 Camry XLE. Love the above.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:24 am

TPMS I guess you are saying it provides visual access to the data on a screen.
Lots of Toyotas have TPMS but you cannot access the data unless you have a reader tool.
I have a 2006 Prius with TPMS, but most Prius do not give easy readout of the tire pressure data, which is an inconvenience.
Camry candidate here too as we look to replace the '06.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:34 am

On the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I have had two cars, including a Toyota with the idiot light. I had a rental with a full monitoring system showing the pressure of each tire on the screen. This car also had a slightly leaky tire. I found getting the actual pressure of each tire on the display to be worthy. I have often had slow leaking tires, and it was much, much better with the display system to both identify which tire was low, and monitor it while driving, and know when to add air.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:05 am

"$1,200 on a package that includes the blind spot detector and smartkey/push button start."

Blind spot monitoring will not be useful most of the time, but it might be useful the 2% of the time when it matters. I'd say it's worth a couple hundred dollars easily; even for people who won't always rely on this feature, it is not useless.

What is Toyota's Smart Key feature? Is it the kind that locks and unlocks the door automatically based on proximity to the car? If so, that is really useful. You can just put your key in your pocket or purse and never take it out - that's $1000 value for sure. If it's the weaker type where you must press the button to unlock the car but not to start the engine, that's still pretty useful though not as much.

What are the other options in this package, in addition to those two things?

"Should I care about wheel locks? Carpet floor and trunk mats (I'm in So. Cal so don't need all-weather)?"

Wheel locks are not useful unless you go to really crappy places... Floor mats should be mandatory. I don't know how you could not buy them. If you don't want the expensive dealer ones, you can probably buy $30 mats on Amazon which are find but just don't have Toyota logos. Trunk mat is less useful, but I can see how some kind of tray would come in handy.

flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am

Archimedes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:10 am
The blind spot detector is a great safety feature. The other options you mentioned are less important in my view.

If you can easily afford this, I would go for it.
Agree, the blind spot detector is a great safety feature. The rest are meh... TPMS could be useful for leaks/punctures but if you maintain the tires well (rotation/replacement) and drive on decent roads, you won't have to worry about it much.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 am

My wife keeps her key in her purse. When you approach the car it unlocks.

Your wife might appreciate the keyless entry. Blind spot is a good feature. I've caught myself ready to change lanes many times and see the yellow indicator for a car in my blind spot.

I would go up in package until you no longer have the money to spend. The automatic braking would be another feature I would spend the money on. Lane departure and adaptive cruise are also nice if you spend a lot of time driving at interstate/highway speeds.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

junior

Post by junior » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

I would definitely get blind spot detection- but it's actually not just blind spot detection. On the Camry that blind spot detection package includes " Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) " which mean it beeps if you are about to back up into someone. There's no monthly charge for either feature you mentioned.

Edited to add: I bought the SE and the package I wanted was only available with a moonroof and the all weather mats (or so the dealer said). I hope to keep the car for over 10 years, maybe even for 20 years if it holds up, so I don't think spending 3,000 for the SE plus the push to start/ blind spot monitoring/ moonroof was a big deal.
Last edited by junior on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am

anonenigma wrote:

I'd pass on the blind spot detector. It's worthless in my opinion. Also, pass on the smartkey as it is a gimmick. You'll find the old fashion turn key work flawlessly. Pass on wheel locks and mats as well. Those are money makers for the dealership. You can get better and cheaper mats on amazon.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 am
Blind spot is a good feature. I've caught myself ready to change lanes many times and see the yellow indicator for a car in my blind spot.
:shock: Maybe it's time to turn in that driver's license?

Blind spot monitoring frequently fails with motorcycles.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 am
Blind spot is a good feature. I've caught myself ready to change lanes many times and see the yellow indicator for a car in my blind spot.
:shock: Maybe it's time to turn in that driver's license?

Blind spot monitoring frequently fails with motorcycles.
I think you are reading too much into my statement. Ready to change lanes is not "in the process of changing lanes". It means you are checking if a lane change is an option.

You check your mirrors and look behind and the blind spot indicator is a nice option to look at.

I'll keep my license for now. Thanks for caring. :wink:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 am

I am in the airport waiting for a flight after just turning in a 2019 Camry SE. It had 5 miles on it when I started. Very nice car with attractive styling. I liked the adaptive cruise control once I got used to it a little. It did not have keyless ignition or blind spot detection. I did not miss it but I am used to not having it and normally drive a car with much less visibility than the Camry. I still have a 2005 Camry SE that my son now drives and it’s been very solid mechanically and still looks very nice.

I don’t think I’d worry about the wheel locks either; they’ll just take the whole car most likely. You can potentially buy nice floor and trunk mats after market. I have Lloyd mats for my Camaro and they are much nicer than the factory mats.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:15 am

H-Town wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:56 am
I'd pass on the blind spot detector. It's worthless in my opinion.
At least on my 2008 RAV4, a blind spot monitor probably would not add any value. If I position the mirrors correctly I can see everything. I have this discussion with my spouse from time to time but I haven't been able to convince her that one doesn't need to see the back of the car with the side mirror - we know where the back of the car is.

Her car has BSM and full camera and some kind of cross tracking sensor in the rear - those latter features are quite handy in parking lots.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:16 am

We have a car that has a smartkey, and one that doesn't. It annoys the heck out of me that mine doesn't have it after I spend a weekend driving with my wife in her that does have it. I'd spend the $1,200 for that alone, and none of it would be a monthly charge. BSM would be a nice addition.

I've always gotten wheel locks and all-weather mats for no extra charge. With the current state of sedan sales, I'd say you have pretty good bargaining power to do the same. We like all-weather mats for the beach, for instance, since you mentioned So Cal.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am

Blind spot monitoring is completely useless if you adjust your mirrors properly. Most Americans are not taught the proper way to adjust mirrors...for some reason they think you should see the rear of the car. This is not correct.

AAA has a guide that describes how to properly set mirrors:
https://seniordriving.aaa.com/improve-y ... r-mirrors/

Car and driver also has a nice visual describing it
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ind-spots/

If you follow these guides there will be no blind spot and you don’t need blind spot monitoring which may miss smaller objects like motorcycles.
Last edited by FireSekr on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:33 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am
Blind spot monitoring is completely useless if you adjust your mirrors properly. Most Americans are not taught the proper way to adjust mirrors...for some reason they think you should see the rear of the car in the mirror. This is not correct. If you adjust properly there will be no blind spots on most cars.

I agree; the chance that the rear of your car is not where you think it is is zero.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm

You may want to check out the XLE. Leather, blind spot monitoring and push button start are included and it will probably ride better.

My guess is that the cost will be similar to the SE with the options added.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:15 pm

anonenigma wrote:

I have a 2011 Camry smartkey/push button start. Service is free and I personally like it. You should know that you may be at a higher risk of car theft.

Never had a blind spot detector. Sounds nice.

Wheel locks you can get aftermarket for a better price.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:18 pm

mokaThought wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:54 am
I don't trust the push-button start systems. There's nothing wrong with just a key.

As for blind spot monitors, consider whether installing convex mirrors ("blind spot mirrors") would do the trick. Wife and I had considered a car purchase for the blind spot monitoring, but I installed some convex mirrors on her car, and she said it was a "game-changer." I would know since I'm a truck driver. :)
My 2006 camry had push button start. Never failed. Traded it last year -still working.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:34 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:33 am
ssquared87 wrote:
Blind spot monitoring is completely useless if you adjust your mirrors properly. Most Americans are not taught the proper way to adjust mirrors...for some reason they think you should see the rear of the car in the mirror. This is not correct. If you adjust properly there will be no blind spots on most cars.

I agree; the chance that the rear of your car is not where you think it is is zero.
Pretty over confident attitude. You might be distracted, look away for one milisecond while a car moves behind you, someone else might be driving improperly, or any other reason. A safety aid with auditory alerts and just flashes to become more visible only helps you. 80% of drivers think they are above average. Don't be those guys.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:38 pm

jebmke wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:

And if that's not the case, you probably have bigger things to worry about!

Topic Author
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm too tall for the moonroof, which is standard on the XSE and XLE.
Winston19 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm
You may want to check out the XLE. Leather, blind spot monitoring and push button start are included and it will probably ride better.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

ohai wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:34 pm
jebmke wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:

Pretty over confident attitude. You might be distracted, look away for one milisecond while a car moves behind you, someone else might be driving improperly, or any other reason. A safety aid with auditory alerts and just flashes to become more visible only helps you. 80% of drivers think they are above average. Don't be those guys.
If you're not paying attention while changing lanes you deserve to get hit. If you're paying attention to driving, there should be an extremely low potential for a driver next to you swerving in your lane because you should be monitoring your speed and not driving with a car next to you...speed up or slow down so there's a clear lane to your side.

The blind spot monitors beep so much with false alarms most people don't even act anyway when they hear it. Put the phone down and check your mirrors.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:54 pm

anonenigma wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:44 pm
I'm too tall for the moonroof, which is standard on the XSE and XLE.
Winston19 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:20 pm

The moon roof is not standard on the XLE 4 cylinder just the 6 cylinder.

:sharebeer

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm
ohai wrote:
jebmke wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:

If you're not paying attention while changing lanes you deserve to get hit. If you're paying attention to driving, there should be an extremely low potential for a driver next to you swerving in your lane because you should be monitoring your speed and not driving with a car next to you...speed up or slow down so there's a clear lane to your side.

The blind spot monitors beep so much with false alarms most people don't even act anyway when they hear it. Put the phone down and check your mirrors.
You're saying you're capable of watching all parts of the car and all mirrors simultaneously. No matter how careful you are, you are only human and will have gaps in your attention or visibility. Safety aids are not meant to replace, but augment good driving habits. I don't know why so many people are opposed to technology that reduces the chance of accidents in real life.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm

For a car that I intend to keep a long time, I would definitely want the keyless system. Not having to fumble for a key at least a couple of times every day for years is well worth the price--to me. And not having to wait for DW to dig a car key out of her purse is worth even more :happy

Blind spot detection is a nice feature as well. I would pay up for it also but the price would depend upon how easy it is to set the mirrors to eliminate blind spots. I wish I had it on my current car. DW's car has it, but it is far more useful to her than it is to me as I can easily set her mirrors to practically (!) eliminate blind spots. She refuses to accept suggestions as to how to set her mirrors correctly.

Wheel locks are a PITA. I would pay extra to avoid them. I really like floor mats, but you may be able to get a better deal on aftermarket mats if you want to scrimp a little.

nvambith

Post by nvambith » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:12 pm

This thread seems to be focusing mostly on the blind-spot-monitoring. :) So, let me add to that. :D

I do use properly adjusted side mirrors which eliminate the blind-spot, and that's definitely great, but I have still found the blind-spot-monitoring to be useful on rental cars (my regular car does not have it). It really doesn't hurt to have an extra pair of "eyes". In multi-lane highways, you can be planning to move into an empty spot in the adjacent lane, but someone may start moving into it from the other side, or people may suddenly speed up or slow down. You can drive without it for sure, but it is still useful to have it.

I find the rear-backup-camera (which, again, I don't have in my car, but have used in rentals) to be even more useful than BSM. It's very handy all the time in parking lots. Do try to get that if you can.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm

When I have 2001 camry, never have extra blind spot mirrors.
Always shoulder check

Now in 2018 CR-V, blind spot monitor is very useful for me still i do shoulder check always.
In few instances, it really saved me especially during rain....

For sedan, i dont prefer but for SUV, i prefer blind spot.

So no for camry from my end....
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm

ohai wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm
ssquared87 wrote:
ohai wrote:
jebmke wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:

You're saying you're capable of watching all parts of the car and all mirrors simultaneously. No matter how careful you are, you are only human and will have gaps in your attention or visibility. Safety aids are not meant to replace, but augment good driving habits. I don't know why so many people are opposed to technology that reduces the chance of accidents in real life.
The problem is over reliance on the blind spot monitor. The people who are most likely to get it are the ones who think they no longer have to check the mirrors anymore because they can rely on the blind spot monitor 100%. They're the ones who are going to clip a motorcyclist splitting lanes and kill them. People are more ignorant than you think, I know doctors who think they can read books and fill out paper work while their Tesla is on autopilot. Relying on systems that are meant as aids to driving not replacements for proper driving will negate any benefit they'd have in the hands of a capable, well trained and aware driver. That pretty much describes the majority of people on the road in America. Simply look at how many morons sit in the left lane without passing for an example of how poorly behaved and unskilled our drivers are.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:17 pm

nvambith wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:12 pm
I find the rear-backup-camera (which, again, I don't have in my car, but have used in rentals) to be even more useful than BSM. It's very handy all the time in parking lots. Do try to get that if you can.
The backup cams are great, especially the ones supplemented with 360 degree radar and guidelines to show where the car will end up and highlight obstacles. Hard to see out of rear windows in the newer cars

srt7

Post by srt7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm

My recommendation is to get it. You keep your cars for a couple decades it seems so on a cost/use basis it works out to be a good value.

I don't know about you but BSM is totally worth it for me. I may not need it for 99.9% of the times but it can be a life saver for that 0.1% of time where it saves mine or my family members or someone else's life.

Love the look of the current Camry. Enjoy your new ride!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:52 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
The blind spot monitors beep so much with false alarms most people don't even act anyway when they hear it.
I don't mind the one in my wife's Camry too much - it is a flashing light on the side mirror which I need to look at anyway -- no sound. I do worry about all the flashy things on her dash. I find that it is very distracting and often hit the OK button which turns off a lot of warning systems because I am so distracted by the light and beeps I stop looking out the front.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm
ohai wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm
ssquared87 wrote:
ohai wrote:
jebmke wrote:

The problem is over reliance on the blind spot monitor. The people who are most likely to get it are the ones who think they no longer have to check the mirrors anymore because they can rely on the blind spot monitor 100%. They're the ones who are going to clip a motorcyclist splitting lanes and kill them. People are more ignorant than you think, I know doctors who think they can read books and fill out paper work while their Tesla is on autopilot. Relying on systems that are meant as aids to driving not replacements for proper driving will negate any benefit they'd have in the hands of a capable, well trained and aware driver. That pretty much describes the majority of people on the road in America. Simply look at how many morons sit in the left lane without passing for an example of how poorly behaved and unskilled our drivers are.
There is also an issue (at least for me) transitioning from driving DW's vehicle (equipped with BSM) for several days to my vehicle (no BSM--but could really use it). As I posted upthread, I don't really need the BSM when driving DW's vehicle, but I do tend to look at it. After getting back in my vehicle it takes me a little time to realize I don't have BSM any longer so I need to be more cautious when changing lanes.

Maybe it is just me as I have a similar problem transitioning from the adaptive cruise control in her vehicle to the "regular" cruise control in mine. I haven't had any close calls due to either yet, but it would not shock me if I did at some point in the future.

I agree with the poster upthread who praised the back up monitoring system. Again, DW's vehicle has it; mine doesn't, but I sure wish it did.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm

If you’re keeping the car for another 19 years, get any option your wife wants. A 2019 car without push button start is like a 2000 car without power windows or locks.

I personally would get every safety feature offered. We all think that our driving skills are above average, but statistically, they’re not. Especially as we age.

I would also get a Honda or Mazda, but that’s just personal preference.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

multiham

Post by multiham » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Keyless entry and start (smart key) is a very nice feature to have. If you are approaching your car with your hands full, and have the key fob on you, the doors will unlock and you don't have to fumble around to find your keys. I also like the push button start. I can leave my key in my pocket or in a backpack in the car and the car will start.

As far as blind spot monitoring, I'm going to provide the advice I received last year from a group of retired State Troopers. I had a company car so I was required to attend behind the wheel training every 18 months. This class is taught by a group of retired State Troopers. They always say that you can eliminate about 95% of your blind spots by properly adjusting your seat and mirrors and also by scanning ahead, behind, and side to side. They also said that blind spot monitors will really help get you to close to 100%. Do not use them in lieu of proper adjustment and scanning. They are just additional technology to improve your safety. If they only help me once, they are worth it to me.