New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm

I live in a 2000 sq foot single story house - very comfortable and quiet - lots of shade. Never had any roof issues - we are in Prescott AZ.

We are doing a front project to include new deck and facia, and gutters. The current roof (asphalt) I've been told over and over is showing fiberglass and will soon (couple years) need to be replaced (house built in 2001.)

I had a company DaBella (GAF Master Installer) come out - and the quote for Timberline HD was 27K - but after some negotiation we got him down to 21.7 - but that was for some product they had - that they could give us a deal on. This included ridgeline venting along with replacing the facia.

I have a second quote from a local company that I found out about from GAF's website (Find a Master certified installer..). Their quote was:
11.1 K. They said the ridge vent wasn't necessary and would really pump up the price. They did agree that the heat under the roof has caused the current shingle to wear. They will be installing more vents to combat that. Their price doesn 't include the fascia as they also said you don't want a roofer to do your facia - you want a carpenter to do that - so they provided a bid from another company for 2800 on the facia.

I have another quote coming from another GAF (Claims to be master installer) but doesn't show up on the GAF website - he seems legit and says the ridge vent is necessary. I'll get his quote tomorrow - I'm sure his quote will be more inline with the first quote as he used the same terms and knew of the first company when they first entered Arizona.

I like the no-nonsense attitude of the middle bid guys and they are listed on the GAF product website. They have great reviews there - though the reviews are very strange as there are no comments - just 5 starts A.J Prescott AZ,,,, on local google they have 6 5 star reviews.

I'm also not sure this is our forever house - the GAF roof comes with a 50 year warranty.

Wish this was a bit easier.

Thanks as always.

curmudgeon
Posts: 1829
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by curmudgeon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:46 pm

I'll be interested to see others comments on this. Just because there is a bit of fiberglass showing in the shingles doesn't mean the roof is needing replacement. Some of this is location dependent as well. My current house had fairly weathered asphalt shingles when we bought it, but they held up fine for another 12 years (this is coastal CA, though).

For an older place like ours (built in 1958), the original attic venting doesn't meet current building code. To do a permitted roof replacement requires adding either ridge venting or a bunch of "eyebrow vents". Cost wasn't much different between the options, so we are going with the ridge vent. I want the additional venting because I'm also planning to add a whole house fan which will require more vent area for the exhaust.

One thing that can make a difference in re-roof costs is whether they are doing a tear-off of the old roof, or just putting a second layer on top of the old. If you are adding venting, I'm not sure you could go the second layer route. Adding a 2nd layer is generally acceptable practice, but not necessarily as reliable (a 3rd layer is against code most places).

gmc4h232
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by gmc4h232 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Roof ridge vents are pointless if you dont have any soffit vents to allow air in at the bottom. Proper ventilation will get you the longest life out of your shingles.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:56 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:46 pm
I'll be interested to see others comments on this. Just because there is a bit of fiberglass showing in the shingles doesn't mean the roof is needing replacement. Some of this is location dependent as well. My current house had fairly weathered asphalt shingles when we bought it, but they held up fine for another 12 years (this is coastal CA, though).

For an older place like ours (built in 1958), the original attic venting doesn't meet current building code. To do a permitted roof replacement requires adding either ridge venting or a bunch of "eyebrow vents". Cost wasn't much different between the options, so we are going with the ridge vent. I want the additional venting because I'm also planning to add a whole house fan which will require more vent area for the exhaust.

One thing that can make a difference in re-roof costs is whether they are doing a tear-off of the old roof, or just putting a second layer on top of the old. If you are adding venting, I'm not sure you could go the second layer route. Adding a 2nd layer is generally acceptable practice, but not necessarily as reliable (a 3rd layer is against code most places).
Thanks - yes the roof needs to be replaced as the fascia has completely failed- it is rotting (particle board junk) and to replace it and the drip edge will require more work if we keep the old roof vs installing fresh. Also we are adding a gable/front door entrance - so the new roof will help in that area too vs trying to match the gable's roof with the old roof.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:00 pm

gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm
Roof ridge vents are pointless if you dont have any soffit vents to allow air in at the bottom. Proper ventilation will get you the longest life out of your shingles.
Yes - that is what I've read as well. Also - our old side vents (stucko on each side of the house) would need to be closed off (which no roofer has mentioned)

Both installers have both covered the soffit piece. The high bid doesn't include soffit changes- the end of the shingles will have a special air gap that will allow air for the ridgevent. The other quote which I'm waiting on will not use that - he will add some soffit vents.

capsaicinguy
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:00 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by capsaicinguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Parents built a house in the Carolinas and the builder specd the house to only use the ridge vent with soffits for roof ventilation. It was grossly underventilated to the point they couldn't get the top floor to maintain a reasonable temp in the summer. They got a thermostat controlled BIG powered ventilation fan installed, their top floor was finally able to maintain temp. They have an entire separate HVAC system for the top floor and it was never able to keep up. Once they were able to move the heat out of the attic space everything finally worked. I'm a big proponent for lots of roof ventilation. Like others posted will help the roofing last longer too.

megabad
Posts: 2189
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by megabad » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
I'm also not sure this is our forever house

Wish this was a bit easier.
I think it is pretty easy. There is no way in heck I would pay $17k more for a new roof when this is not your forever home. You got 20 years out of your old roof so why do you need more shingle life? Gosh, in my area, you are bound to get a major storm in that period and insurance would cover most of the roof. Now, I would question that contractors price and get another quote, but if the cost is 2.5 times the other and they are both license local legitimate companies, than I would clearly go with the 11k option. You could replace the roof multiple times over the next 50 years and still come out ahead.

Globalviewer58
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by Globalviewer58 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 pm

An attic ventilation system requires both intake and exhaust to function well as another poster noted. The challenge to getting this done right is that the typical roofing crew will not look at soffits or inside the attic to address the intake issues. It is more common to find a roofing crew install a ridge vent without assessing the intake. To get an idea of the considerations you can find Planning the Job videos on YouTube that review the basic building code requirements and illustrate the calculations a roofer should perform to determine the amount of intake and exhaust required and then compare to what is in place. You must know the Net Free Area ratings of the vents, the attic square footage and whether a vapor barrier (like Kraft faced insulation) is in place in the attic.

Current code requires half or more of the total ventilation as intake and half or less as exhaust. But this ratio was put in place in 2012 so homes built prior were likely built to the code that allowed up to 80% of total Net Free Area as exhaust. This is the source of many vent system challenges as you will need to add significant intake to convert from 20/80 to 50/50.

A good place to find this type of detail is on the AirVent website. I have no connection to them.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone I’ll review the latest responses.

I just received the 3rd quote (GAF Master Installer + ridgevent etc). 11.9K. Seems like a great option - I’ll ask in regards to intake and exhaust ratios.

Unbelievable that quote 2 & 3 came in at the same about 13k with the fascia included. Pretty happy about that.

z0r
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by z0r » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 pm

I've done two roofs myself, one with regular vents and one with ridge vents. The ridge vent roof was easier by far, literally you just shingle to the peak and then cut the vent channel in one pass with a regular circular saw, shingles and wood at once. Regular vents kill you with tons of detailed trimming around each vent. Ridge vents are simpler and more effective and all future roofs I do will have them.

I suspect if your ridge vent quotes are higher then the installer just doesn't want to do them. I have noticed, while traveling, that some areas of the country have adopted them more quickly than others. Mainly areas that might get humidity into the attic where effective venting means your wood isn't rotting.
gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm
Roof ridge vents are pointless if you dont have any soffit vents to allow air in at the bottom. Proper ventilation will get you the longest life out of your shingles.
Our local code addresses this: if ridge vents are used by themselves without soffit vents, code expects double the non-soffit vent area per roof area. I think that's closer to the truth than "pointless". Do install soffit vents though, and make sure they're not obstructed by insulation, they're part of the system.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 am

We had a new roof put on about 5 years ago...no ridge vents; soffits are vented.
The roofer didn't recommend one; leak issues.
Our old roof had one and we had leak issues.
Not anymore since new roof w/o ridge vent.
What do all your neighbors have?
What are their experiences?
May help to talk to others.

mpnret
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by mpnret » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 am

This may vary by what part of the country you are in but in the NE ridge vents are very common and done on almost all new roofs. My previous roof had 2 powered attic fans with decent soffit venting. On my new roof I had the attic fans removed, soffit venting increased slightly and ridge venting added. Attic is now cooler with just ridge vent and no powered fans. I'm very pleased. I have never heard of ridge venting leaking and did a lot of research before making this change.

mpnret
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by mpnret » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 am
We had a new roof put on about 5 years ago...no ridge vents; soffits are vented.
The roofer didn't recommend one; leak issues.
Our old roof had one and we had leak issues.
Not anymore since new roof w/o ridge vent.
What do all your neighbors have?
What are their experiences?
May help to talk to others.
Something sounds very wrong here. Soffit vents are just for intake. You must have some vents for exhaust somewhere.

FI4LIFE
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by FI4LIFE » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am

This is just a trick by the one roofer to appear cheaper than his competition. Throw his bid in the garbage. You need soffit and ridge vents. Any roofer without a carpenter on hand to make rake/fascia repairs is a hack. Just had my roof done plus all trim boards. Roofers handled everything and did a fantastic job.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am
This is just a trick by the one roofer to appear cheaper than his competition. Throw his bid in the garbage. You need soffit and ridge vents. Any roofer without a carpenter on hand to make rake/fascia repairs is a hack. Just had my roof done plus all trim boards. Roofers handled everything and did a fantastic job.
Yeah - it certainly came off that way ... "we know best - you don't need. they like to jack up the price..." I was pleasantly surprised that the bids came in just a couple hundred bucks apart. Only the middle roofer came on that way - the one that didn't spec out the ridgevent.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:08 am

mpnret wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 am
This may vary by what part of the country you are in but in the NE ridge vents are very common and done on almost all new roofs. My previous roof had 2 powered attic fans with decent soffit venting. On my new roof I had the attic fans removed, soffit venting increased slightly and ridge venting added. Attic is now cooler with just ridge vent and no powered fans. I'm very pleased. I have never heard of ridge venting leaking and did a lot of research before making this change.
Thank you - that is very good to hear.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 am
We had a new roof put on about 5 years ago...no ridge vents; soffits are vented.
The roofer didn't recommend one; leak issues.
Our old roof had one and we had leak issues.
Not anymore since new roof w/o ridge vent.
What do all your neighbors have?
What are their experiences?
May help to talk to others.
Thanks - we will take a look around - the ridgevent solution is a lifetime roof system with a 50 year transferable warranty - so we should be covered - and will know likely soon if it leaks. I've read really good things about the GAF Cobra ridgevent solution.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:11 am

z0r wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 pm
I've done two roofs myself, one with regular vents and one with ridge vents. The ridge vent roof was easier by far, literally you just shingle to the peak and then cut the vent channel in one pass with a regular circular saw, shingles and wood at once. Regular vents kill you with tons of detailed trimming around each vent. Ridge vents are simpler and more effective and all future roofs I do will have them.

I suspect if your ridge vent quotes are higher then the installer just doesn't want to do them. I have noticed, while traveling, that some areas of the country have adopted them more quickly than others. Mainly areas that might get humidity into the attic where effective venting means your wood isn't rotting.
gmc4h232 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm
Roof ridge vents are pointless if you dont have any soffit vents to allow air in at the bottom. Proper ventilation will get you the longest life out of your shingles.
Our local code addresses this: if ridge vents are used by themselves without soffit vents, code expects double the non-soffit vent area per roof area. I think that's closer to the truth than "pointless". Do install soffit vents though, and make sure they're not obstructed by insulation, they're part of the system.
Thank you - very helpful - pretty much leaning towards the Ridge vent.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 am

Globalviewer58 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 pm
An attic ventilation system requires both intake and exhaust to function well as another poster noted. The challenge to getting this done right is that the typical roofing crew will not look at soffits or inside the attic to address the intake issues. It is more common to find a roofing crew install a ridge vent without assessing the intake. To get an idea of the considerations you can find Planning the Job videos on YouTube that review the basic building code requirements and illustrate the calculations a roofer should perform to determine the amount of intake and exhaust required and then compare to what is in place. You must know the Net Free Area ratings of the vents, the attic square footage and whether a vapor barrier (like Kraft faced insulation) is in place in the attic.

Current code requires half or more of the total ventilation as intake and half or less as exhaust. But this ratio was put in place in 2012 so homes built prior were likely built to the code that allowed up to 80% of total Net Free Area as exhaust. This is the source of many vent system challenges as you will need to add significant intake to convert from 20/80 to 50/50.

A good place to find this type of detail is on the AirVent website. I have no connection to them.
Thank you - I'm compiling questions - and intake/exhaust will be something I'll ask about.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:14 am

megabad wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 pm
rebellovw wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
I'm also not sure this is our forever house

Wish this was a bit easier.
I think it is pretty easy. There is no way in heck I would pay $17k more for a new roof when this is not your forever home. You got 20 years out of your old roof so why do you need more shingle life? Gosh, in my area, you are bound to get a major storm in that period and insurance would cover most of the roof. Now, I would question that contractors price and get another quote, but if the cost is 2.5 times the other and they are both license local legitimate companies, than I would clearly go with the 11k option. You could replace the roof multiple times over the next 50 years and still come out ahead.
Agreed - it is a relief that the 3rd bid came in at such a reasonable price point - beat the 12K I had in my head.

For the 11K price tag - I get a ridgevent - and a very good warranty - that is transferable.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 am

capsaicinguy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:02 pm
Parents built a house in the Carolinas and the builder specd the house to only use the ridge vent with soffits for roof ventilation. It was grossly underventilated to the point they couldn't get the top floor to maintain a reasonable temp in the summer. They got a thermostat controlled BIG powered ventilation fan installed, their top floor was finally able to maintain temp. They have an entire separate HVAC system for the top floor and it was never able to keep up. Once they were able to move the heat out of the attic space everything finally worked. I'm a big proponent for lots of roof ventilation. Like others posted will help the roofing last longer too.
Thank you - I'm definitely going to make sure the ventilation is good. We do live in a very nice climate - not too hot- but does get quite cold.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks again everyone - very helpful.

I'm leaning towards bid #3.
11K
Master certified GAF installer
Gold Warranty (50 years + transferable 1 time)
Documented use of GAF products - tiger claw under "stuff", Cobra ridgevent, GAF end whatevers, Timberline HD and really confident at the fascia which I really want the Roofer to completely integrate into the new roof.

The 2nd bid was good - also at 11K - but the GAF warranty they provide is "Support +" which is GAF 3rd place warranty (good, better, best) below Silver and Gold. No ridge vent. Seems kinda like a hodgepodge of different products they would use - vs using all GAF. Only product mentioned in the quote was the GAF shingles.

And as Monty Python would say - Bid 1 - is "just out" (Holy Hand grenade)

3rd bid was good as the roofer wasn't coming off superior to other roofers (you don't want this you don't want that..) - seemed pretty down to earth.

All seem to have very good reviews.

brandy
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by brandy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:21 pm

I live in a 2000 sq foot single story house -... in Prescott AZ.
I'm a few hours south of you.
We are doing a front project to include new deck and facia, and gutters. The current roof (asphalt) I've been told over and over is showing fiberglass and will soon (couple years) need to be replaced (house built in 2001.)
I'm guessing my single story ~2000 sq feet house was re-shingled about that time-give or take a few years. An addition was built in 1995, and I don't have any records re the roof, It looks like the same shingles. Starting ~ 2 years ago I was told mine would need a new roof in a few years,. I decided to do it now, as a neighbor who has no financial interest in it says this year or next, he'd probably wait to next year. I'm doing it now.

I had a company DaBella (GAF Master Installer) come out - and the quote for Timberline HD was 27K - but after some negotiation we got him down to 21.7 - but that was for some product they had - that they could give us a deal on. This included ridgeline venting along with replacing the facia.

I got 5 estimates: one from an unlicensed roofer for about $8250. The others were $8,300, $8350, $9840, $15,985. I have insurance info from 2, the 16K and the one I chose--$8350. The unlicensed man said he would sign an independent contractor agreement (google it re AZ) which would provide me some protection. I'm using owens-corning shingles with double layer of 15lb paper under. Of course, any wood to be replaced is extra--$50-60 depending on contractor. All but one would haul away as part of price. That one was $575 more.
I demanded and got a completion date. They kept telling me they would not give me one. I finally said, this is May 25, put a completion date prior to August one. That gives plenty of time. He did then, and now must be done before the end of June 2019. It probably would have been a deal breaker. I have 3 whirlybirds and some openings along the north side, as well as peak ends.


I have a second quote from a local company that I found out about from GAF's website (Find a Master certified installer..). Their quote was:
$11.1 K. They said the ridge vent wasn't necessary and would really pump up the price. They did agree that the heat under the roof has caused the current shingle to wear. They will be installing more vents to combat that. Their price doesn 't include the fascia as they also said you don't want a roofer to do your facia - you want a carpenter to do that - so they provided a bid from another company for 2800 on the facia.
I had go-rounds about that. I hope I finally have that straight: If facia is in bad shape, these roofers will replace it. He said they would not roof over bad facia. (no need for carpentors. My facia problem was between roofers and painters—I was being given differing info, and or I was misunderstanding.... In fact, I had a gallon of paint the dude took, they will paint the facia at their facility so it is ready to put up. NOW I want to know if I'm getting lumber or sawdust...

I have another quote coming from another GAF (Claims to be master installer) but doesn't show up on the GAF website - he seems legit and says the ridge vent is necessary. I'll get his quote tomorrow - I'm sure his quote will be more inline with the first quote as he used the same terms and knew of the first company when they first entered Arizona.
Call the GAF 800 number and ask them. My installer is not listed on OC's, but their phone rep said she has him listed. My pamphlet does not give an 800 number, here is the GAF Southwest office: 972-851-0500
I like the no-nonsense attitude of the middle bid guys and they are listed on the GAF product website. They have great reviews there - though the reviews are very strange as there are no comments - just 5 starts A.J Prescott AZ,,,, on local google they have 6 5 star reviews.

I'm also not sure this is our forever house - the GAF roof comes with a 50 year warranty.
Ask if that warranty is for just the shingles, or are they using all GAF products under them? Is your warranty transferable? Does the roofer guarantee his work?
My co will come back once a year to check the roof if I call, for a few years. If I have (hail) damage, they will come back, and if I add solar they will come to check that the roof integrity is intact. Mine is a 50 year roof too, but the fact rep said in southern AZ, reality may be ~40-45 years

Wish this was a bit easier.
Me too. But that would probably mean we do it more than once every so often, and I don't want that, either. It's good to have a place to ask questions.

criticalmass
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:17 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 am
We had a new roof put on about 5 years ago...no ridge vents; soffits are vented.
The roofer didn't recommend one; leak issues.
Our old roof had one and we had leak issues.
Not anymore since new roof w/o ridge vent.
What do all your neighbors have?
What are their experiences?
May help to talk to others.
An outlet vent is definitely needed. I would find a roofer that knows how to install a ridge vent properly that doesn’t leak water, proper installations are quite common. Ridge vents and soffit vents are common practice and code compliant. In some cases, the ridge is too short to ventilate properly (e.g. hip roofs) so other methods or vents may b used to ensure adequate ventilation. Ridge vents are also preferable to powered fan vents.

unstartable
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by unstartable » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:30 pm

I would recommend this plastic ridge vent instead of the roll.

theplayer11
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:17 pm

new roof with ridge vent a few year ago and noticeable cooler on second floor..no soffit vents

Saving$
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by Saving$ » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Recommend a ridge vent and proper soffit venting. Hire one of the $11k companies. If the first $11k company won't do a ridge vent hire the second one.

Hire the carpenter to install the facia - the roofer is correct about that. Have them use non-rot material such as Hardi or PVC board.

theplayer11
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm

new roof with ridge vent a few year ago and noticeable cooler on second floor..no soffit vents

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8039
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:43 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
I live in a 2000 sq foot single story house - very comfortable and quiet - lots of shade. Never had any roof issues - we are in Prescott AZ.

We are doing a front project to include new deck and facia, and gutters. The current roof (asphalt) I've been told over and over is showing fiberglass and will soon (couple years) need to be replaced (house built in 2001.)

I had a company DaBella (GAF Master Installer) come out - and the quote for Timberline HD was 27K - but after some negotiation we got him down to 21.7 - but that was for some product they had - that they could give us a deal on. This included ridgeline venting along with replacing the facia.

I have a second quote from a local company that I found out about from GAF's website (Find a Master certified installer..). Their quote was:
11.1 K. They said the ridge vent wasn't necessary and would really pump up the price. They did agree that the heat under the roof has caused the current shingle to wear. They will be installing more vents to combat that. Their price doesn 't include the fascia as they also said you don't want a roofer to do your facia - you want a carpenter to do that - so they provided a bid from another company for 2800 on the facia.

I have another quote coming from another GAF (Claims to be master installer) but doesn't show up on the GAF website - he seems legit and says the ridge vent is necessary. I'll get his quote tomorrow - I'm sure his quote will be more inline with the first quote as he used the same terms and knew of the first company when they first entered Arizona.

I like the no-nonsense attitude of the middle bid guys and they are listed on the GAF product website. They have great reviews there - though the reviews are very strange as there are no comments - just 5 starts A.J Prescott AZ,,,, on local google they have 6 5 star reviews.

I'm also not sure this is our forever house - the GAF roof comes with a 50 year warranty.

Wish this was a bit easier.

Thanks as always.
Coincidentally . . . .
Also in Prescott.
I live in Williamson Valley.

My roof has 6 very large roof vents that have flashing and tile around it. The roof is patterned concrete tile.
There are also very large gable vents on each end of the roof, and tons of soffit venting around the perimeter. And, the attic still gets pretty hot in summer!

I assume your home as adequate soffit venting?

As you know, we don't have summer highs like Phoenix (thank goodness), but on the hottest days the attic still "cooks".
Since Prescott is a mile high, the UV does a number on roof material. Also, hail (recent ones were bad) and high winds during monsoons (coming up).

Since you're going through the trouble and expense to do a good job, including replacing the fascia boards, etc, I would vent the roof as much as possible. Also, since it is an asphalt roof.

OTOH: since you say this is not your forever home, you'd save a lot of cost by not putting in ridge vents. But, be sure your end gable vents are adequate. If you have a hip roof, then the ridge vents might be a good idea.

It is difficult to find good roofers, and carpenters, in Prescott. And, very easy to find marginal ones.
I recently had a new shop building roofed and it was tough chasing down good contractors.

I am a retired G.C. and have a couple of roofing contractor contacts I can give you if you want. But, know that they are usually very very booked out and hard to schedule as most good contractors are. If you've already got some good ones, then great!

I worked with Allied on EZ street by Foxworth Gailbrith. Prices were great. Service was excellent.
You can get the "Square" estimate for quantity of roofing you need. Then talk to them about price and various products. They will take as much time as you need to get you a good product. Also great for roofer referrals.

PM me if you need more info.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JBTX
Posts: 5247
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by JBTX » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 pm

Last roof was replacement due to hail. I specifically told the roofers not to do ridge vents, because

1. Having had rodents in the attic before, I didn't want to add any potential new entry points
2. I was skeptical due to the potential for water blowing in, leaks etc.

I didn't have a lot of hard facts on these issues, but was a game time judgment call.

Our roof has turtle vents and a couple of power fans. I've read a lot of negatives on power attic fans. One is now broken, and the other is set to a fairly high temperature.

Where we live chances are hail will take out the roof before excessive attic heat wear and tear.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:43 pm
rebellovw wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm
I live in a 2000 sq foot single story house - very comfortable and quiet - lots of shade. Never had any roof issues - we are in Prescott AZ.

We are doing a front project to include new deck and facia, and gutters. The current roof (asphalt) I've been told over and over is showing fiberglass and will soon (couple years) need to be replaced (house built in 2001.)

I had a company DaBella (GAF Master Installer) come out - and the quote for Timberline HD was 27K - but after some negotiation we got him down to 21.7 - but that was for some product they had - that they could give us a deal on. This included ridgeline venting along with replacing the facia.

I have a second quote from a local company that I found out about from GAF's website (Find a Master certified installer..). Their quote was:
11.1 K. They said the ridge vent wasn't necessary and would really pump up the price. They did agree that the heat under the roof has caused the current shingle to wear. They will be installing more vents to combat that. Their price doesn 't include the fascia as they also said you don't want a roofer to do your facia - you want a carpenter to do that - so they provided a bid from another company for 2800 on the facia.

I have another quote coming from another GAF (Claims to be master installer) but doesn't show up on the GAF website - he seems legit and says the ridge vent is necessary. I'll get his quote tomorrow - I'm sure his quote will be more inline with the first quote as he used the same terms and knew of the first company when they first entered Arizona.

I like the no-nonsense attitude of the middle bid guys and they are listed on the GAF product website. They have great reviews there - though the reviews are very strange as there are no comments - just 5 starts A.J Prescott AZ,,,, on local google they have 6 5 star reviews.

I'm also not sure this is our forever house - the GAF roof comes with a 50 year warranty.

Wish this was a bit easier.

Thanks as always.
Coincidentally . . . .
Also in Prescott.
I live in Williamson Valley.

My roof has 6 very large roof vents that have flashing and tile around it. The roof is patterned concrete tile.
There are also very large gable vents on each end of the roof, and tons of soffit venting around the perimeter. And, the attic still gets pretty hot in summer!

I assume your home as adequate soffit venting?

As you know, we don't have summer highs like Phoenix (thank goodness), but on the hottest days the attic still "cooks".
Since Prescott is a mile high, the UV does a number on roof material. Also, hail (recent ones were bad) and high winds during monsoons (coming up).

Since you're going through the trouble and expense to do a good job, including replacing the fascia boards, etc, I would vent the roof as much as possible. Also, since it is an asphalt roof.

OTOH: since you say this is not your forever home, you'd save a lot of cost by not putting in ridge vents. But, be sure your end gable vents are adequate. If you have a hip roof, then the ridge vents might be a good idea.

It is difficult to find good roofers, and carpenters, in Prescott. And, very easy to find marginal ones.
I recently had a new shop building roofed and it was tough chasing down good contractors.

I am a retired G.C. and have a couple of roofing contractor contacts I can give you if you want. But, know that they are usually very very booked out and hard to schedule as most good contractors are. If you've already got some good ones, then great!

I worked with Allied on EZ street by Foxworth Gailbrith. Prices were great. Service was excellent.
You can get the "Square" estimate for quantity of roofing you need. Then talk to them about price and various products. They will take as much time as you need to get you a good product. Also great for roofer referrals.

PM me if you need more info.

j :happy
Thanks Sandtrap - very much appreciated.

Your are dead on regarding contractors here in Prescott - very tough to find good ones. The roofer I found is solid - even did the police dept's roof according to Seemless Gutters - when I asked their opinion. I'm doing the ridgeline vent and they will make sure there is adequate intake.

As for my forever home? I mighta been wrong about that - it is possible- we love the area - house is so comfortable and quiet - house completely paid for (boglehead way) and the tax is only 1500 a year - so cheap to be here I really cannot beat it. We do travel quite a bit and are always glad to come home. I love the weather.

But finding contractors is really tough - I have I think a good one - keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:50 pm

JBTX wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 pm
Last roof was replacement due to hail. I specifically told the roofers not to do ridge vents, because

1. Having had rodents in the attic before, I didn't want to add any potential new entry points
2. I was skeptical due to the potential for water blowing in, leaks etc.

I didn't have a lot of hard facts on these issues, but was a game time judgment call.

Our roof has turtle vents and a couple of power fans. I've read a lot of negatives on power attic fans. One is now broken, and the other is set to a fairly high temperature.

Where we live chances are hail will take out the roof before excessive attic heat wear and tear.
Thanks - yep critters can be a major problem - I've dealt with them at last two houses. The GAF ridgevent - should be just fine at preventing them from getting in.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:50 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm
new roof with ridge vent a few year ago and noticeable cooler on second floor..no soffit vents
Thanks- I'm definitely sold on it.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:54 pm

brandy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:21 pm
I live in a 2000 sq foot single story house -... in Prescott AZ.
I'm a few hours south of you.
We are doing a front project to include new deck and facia, and gutters. The current roof (asphalt) I've been told over and over is showing fiberglass and will soon (couple years) need to be replaced (house built in 2001.)
I'm guessing my single story ~2000 sq feet house was re-shingled about that time-give or take a few years. An addition was built in 1995, and I don't have any records re the roof, It looks like the same shingles. Starting ~ 2 years ago I was told mine would need a new roof in a few years,. I decided to do it now, as a neighbor who has no financial interest in it says this year or next, he'd probably wait to next year. I'm doing it now.

I had a company DaBella (GAF Master Installer) come out - and the quote for Timberline HD was 27K - but after some negotiation we got him down to 21.7 - but that was for some product they had - that they could give us a deal on. This included ridgeline venting along with replacing the facia.

I got 5 estimates: one from an unlicensed roofer for about $8250. The others were $8,300, $8350, $9840, $15,985. I have insurance info from 2, the 16K and the one I chose--$8350. The unlicensed man said he would sign an independent contractor agreement (google it re AZ) which would provide me some protection. I'm using owens-corning shingles with double layer of 15lb paper under. Of course, any wood to be replaced is extra--$50-60 depending on contractor. All but one would haul away as part of price. That one was $575 more.
I demanded and got a completion date. They kept telling me they would not give me one. I finally said, this is May 25, put a completion date prior to August one. That gives plenty of time. He did then, and now must be done before the end of June 2019. It probably would have been a deal breaker. I have 3 whirlybirds and some openings along the north side, as well as peak ends.


I have a second quote from a local company that I found out about from GAF's website (Find a Master certified installer..). Their quote was:
$11.1 K. They said the ridge vent wasn't necessary and would really pump up the price. They did agree that the heat under the roof has caused the current shingle to wear. They will be installing more vents to combat that. Their price doesn 't include the fascia as they also said you don't want a roofer to do your facia - you want a carpenter to do that - so they provided a bid from another company for 2800 on the facia.
I had go-rounds about that. I hope I finally have that straight: If facia is in bad shape, these roofers will replace it. He said they would not roof over bad facia. (no need for carpentors. My facia problem was between roofers and painters—I was being given differing info, and or I was misunderstanding.... In fact, I had a gallon of paint the dude took, they will paint the facia at their facility so it is ready to put up. NOW I want to know if I'm getting lumber or sawdust...

I have another quote coming from another GAF (Claims to be master installer) but doesn't show up on the GAF website - he seems legit and says the ridge vent is necessary. I'll get his quote tomorrow - I'm sure his quote will be more inline with the first quote as he used the same terms and knew of the first company when they first entered Arizona.
Call the GAF 800 number and ask them. My installer is not listed on OC's, but their phone rep said she has him listed. My pamphlet does not give an 800 number, here is the GAF Southwest office: 972-851-0500
I like the no-nonsense attitude of the middle bid guys and they are listed on the GAF product website. They have great reviews there - though the reviews are very strange as there are no comments - just 5 starts A.J Prescott AZ,,,, on local google they have 6 5 star reviews.

I'm also not sure this is our forever house - the GAF roof comes with a 50 year warranty.
Ask if that warranty is for just the shingles, or are they using all GAF products under them? Is your warranty transferable? Does the roofer guarantee his work?
My co will come back once a year to check the roof if I call, for a few years. If I have (hail) damage, they will come back, and if I add solar they will come to check that the roof integrity is intact. Mine is a 50 year roof too, but the fact rep said in southern AZ, reality may be ~40-45 years

Wish this was a bit easier.
Me too. But that would probably mean we do it more than once every so often, and I don't want that, either. It's good to have a place to ask questions.

Wow - thanks very much Brandy - very thoughtful response - much appreciated. Very helpful.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm
Recommend a ridge vent and proper soffit venting. Hire one of the $11k companies. If the first $11k company won't do a ridge vent hire the second one.

Hire the carpenter to install the facia - the roofer is correct about that. Have them use non-rot material such as Hardi or PVC board.
Thanks - definitely doing the ridgevent. As far as facia- not doing any composite - that is what I currently have and it is falling apart. He will be using primed solid wood.

mpnret
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by mpnret » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Hardi is a fiber cement board that requires paint. Without it it will absorb water and delaminate. Take a small piece of Hardi and soak it in a container of water and try the same with PVC trim board or a polymer siding material like Everlast composite siding. The Hardi will soak in all the water and eventually fail. The other 2 will not. Hardi is a decent siding material when painted and all of the many installation restrictions are followed. Hardi sort of looks like real cedar but the new comers are much better at looking like real wood and don't have all the installation restrictions. For facia board PVC trim boards have become the standard. No paint required, the color goes all the way through and they are impervious to everything. Wood will require some maintenance (painting) and should last a acceptble amount of time when this maintenance is kept up.

Topic Author
rebellovw
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by rebellovw » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:45 pm

mpnret wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm
Hardi is a fiber cement board that requires paint. Without it it will absorb water and delaminate. Take a small piece of Hardi and soak it in a container of water and try the same with PVC trim board or a polymer siding material like Everlast composite siding. The Hardi will soak in all the water and eventually fail. The other 2 will not. Hardi is a decent siding material when painted and all of the many installation restrictions are followed. Hardi sort of looks like real cedar but the new comers are much better at looking like real wood and don't have all the installation restrictions. For facia board PVC trim boards have become the standard. No paint required, the color goes all the way through and they are impervious to everything. Wood will require some maintenance (painting) and should last a acceptble amount of time when this maintenance is kept up.
Awesome info - I'll consider the PVC stuff - I've read that somewhere else as well.

Thanks everyone!

Saving$
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by Saving$ » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:37 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm
Saving$ wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm
Recommend a ridge vent and proper soffit venting. Hire one of the $11k companies. If the first $11k company won't do a ridge vent hire the second one.

Hire the carpenter to install the facia - the roofer is correct about that. Have them use non-rot material such as Hardi or PVC board.
Thanks - definitely doing the ridgevent. As far as facia- not doing any composite - that is what I currently have and it is falling apart. He will be using primed solid wood.
Sorry for the late response - I just saw this. Yes, many of the older composite materials can decay, particularly if they get or stay wet. Masonite was infamous for this. However Hardi is a cementitious material, and PVC board is, well, PVC. You will not have a problem with either of them falling apart, rotting or holding paint. You may, however have a challenge with solid wood holding paint and/or rotting.

mpnret
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by mpnret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:27 am

Saving$ wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:37 pm
rebellovw wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm
Saving$ wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm
Recommend a ridge vent and proper soffit venting. Hire one of the $11k companies. If the first $11k company won't do a ridge vent hire the second one.

Hire the carpenter to install the facia - the roofer is correct about that. Have them use non-rot material such as Hardi or PVC board.
Thanks - definitely doing the ridgevent. As far as facia- not doing any composite - that is what I currently have and it is falling apart. He will be using primed solid wood.
Sorry for the late response - I just saw this. Yes, many of the older composite materials can decay, particularly if they get or stay wet. Masonite was infamous for this. However Hardi is a cementitious material, and PVC board is, well, PVC. You will not have a problem with either of them falling apart, rotting or holding paint. You may, however have a challenge with solid wood holding paint and/or rotting.
You are correct about PVC board but not Hardi. I see failed Hardi installations often. Bottom line it retains mositure and falls apart. If you keep it away from moisture you stand a chance. This includes painting and sealing it and keeping paint on it, keeping it away from gutters, downspouts, shingles, etc. Put a small piece of unfinished PVC and Hardi in a glass of water and notice the difference. Google failed Hardi installations.

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1548
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: New Roof - to RidgeVent or to not RidgeVent

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:11 pm

I have Miratec Trim fascia from Weld Jen and am happy with its performance
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Post Reply