Refrigerator Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wolf359

Refrigerator Advice

Post by wolf359 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 pm

So, our refrigerator died recently. We are currently using our freezer as a refrigerator, because it only cools to about 30-40 degrees F. Our refrigerator only cools to 60 degrees.

It has been 16 years since we last bought one. The marketplace is completely different. For one thing, Sears is gone, and I am doing a lot of the shopping both in person and online.

My criteria are: energy efficiency, longevity, and reliability.

My wife's criteria are: French door style, bottom freezer, in-door ice machine/water dispenser, stainless steel, and stylish.

Obviously, my wife wins. Our current unit is a side-by-side. Our budget maximum is $2K, which puts almost all but the high end of the market in reach.

Which brands do you like? Who should we stay away from? Is it true that newer eco-friendly units are too noisy? Anything features we should avoid? Any new features that are must-haves?

psteinx

Re: Refrigerator Advice

Post by psteinx » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:38 pm

A basic problem is that noisiness is very hard for a shopper to evaluate directly, since many of the places you shop won't have them plugged in, and even if you did find such a place (that had fridges plugged in), the place itself would likely be noisy.

Given the difficulties of self-evaluating certain attributes, perhaps it would be a good idea to peruse Consumer Reports?

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 pm
My wife's criteria are: French door style, bottom freezer, in-door ice machine/water dispenser, stainless steel, and stylish.
Have you used a bottom freezer before? I know it is all the rage, but we hate it. Our current house came with a brand new one and we are considering moving it to the basement and getting a regular top freezer. But it is hard to find a good sized one in stainless, which is what the rest of the appliances are. If we get too frustrated, we might just get a mismatched white one. Everything is in a basket in the bottom freezer and you can't see what's on the bottom of the baskets. You end up unloading half the freezer to find or retrieve something on the bottom. And the ice cubes keep falling on the floor or behind the lower baskets. Plus top freezer seems more efficient - the cold air from the freezer naturally falls down into the refrigerator.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm

We have a stainless steel French door bottom freezer. The ice maker and water dispenser are inside. It is a GE. We like the unit, but it has been unreliable. I would not buy another GE appliance. We are also dissatisfied with the GE range and microwave we bought.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:46 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm
wolf359 wrote:
Have you used a bottom freezer before? I know it is all the rage, but we hate it. Our current house came with a brand new one and we are considering moving it to the basement and getting a regular top freezer. But it is hard to find a good sized one in stainless, which is what the rest of the appliances are. If we get too frustrated, we might just get a mismatched white one. Everything is in a basket in the bottom freezer and you can't see what's on the bottom of the baskets. You end up unloading half the freezer to find or retrieve something on the bottom. And the ice cubes keep falling on the floor or behind the lower baskets. Plus top freezer seems more efficient - the cold air from the freezer naturally falls down into the refrigerator.
I agree. I have a side by side. In laws have a bottom freezer. I get frustrated with it when visiting. And I thought it seemed like a good idea at the time it was ordered.

mb2016

Post by mb2016 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:51 pm

I purchased the LG LFXS26973S from Lowes about 6 months ago and paid for the extended warranty...a fridge is just about the only thing I will spring for a warranty on and Lowes was best deal. I am happy with it so far. The filters are also a little less expensive than the ones on my last model. This model seems to fit your wife’s criteria.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:08 pm

We have a GE stainless-look French door refrigerator with bottom freezer. DW can find things in the freezer, and I hate trying. Its main downfall is the ice maker and stock drainage system. The ice maker has been replaced three times in the last 10 years and is presently inoperable, again; this time due to freezing up. As soon as I buy a huge Yeti cooler to move everything into while I defrost the darn thing we're freezing ice cube trays in the garage freezer and dumping them into a bin in the GE drawer (works so go I've not ordered the Yeti). The drainage system received an upgrade to fix a known defect. If the defrost does not work, I dream of a solution involving Tannerite for it and a bunker for me. :twisted:

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm

We bought a Samsung french door, bottom drawer freezer about 5 years ago. Next time, we will go with LG bc salespeople told us that they receive far more calls about Samsung repair than LG repair. The Samsung is very quiet. But the ice cube maker has frozen up twice. If we had a choice, we would not even bother with an ice cube maker -- we can fix it ourselves but it's a huge pain and we'd rather have the extra space -- but there ice cube maker was standard in this model, no choice. The Samsung also has a cracked bottom shelf -- the glass is not broken, but the plastic frame has cracked and it sags into the drawer below, so you need two hands to open the bottom drawer. It's not worth the $200+ for a replacement frame.

Good luck hunting for your new refrigerator.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pm

wolf359 wrote:
So, our refrigerator died recently. We are currently using our freezer as a refrigerator, because it only cools to about 30-40 degrees F. Our refrigerator only cools to 60 degrees.
I know you plan to replace that refrigerator, but your problem sounds like a classic auto defrost failure. Typically can often be DIY repaired, at a very low cost. Usually involves replacing either the defrost thermostat or heater coil(s).

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Talk to your wife at about the side by side style versus the bottom freezer style. Lots of people we know are not happy with their bottom freezer setups. The ice makers do not work very well. And they are so poor people end up putting store ice in the freezer and making drinks from there. It is hard to find stuff in the freezer because all the packages are stacked on top of each other. The extra shelf width up top is not more useful than the old style smaller shelves. They are more expensive.

Good Luck.

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

We have a side by side and a french door, I much prefer the side by side. I feel like the french door, though bigger size, feels smaller. I believe it's more efficient with the freezer at the bottom, but I don't like it. It's a Kenmore, I believe it's a Whirlpool rebranded. I don't hear it. We have cabinet space for it, so it's covered on 3 sides, not sure if that's why I don't hear it or if it's quiet.

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm

wolf359 wrote:
So, our refrigerator died recently.

Which brands do you like? Who should we stay away from? Is it true that newer eco-friendly units are too noisy? Anything features we should avoid? Any new features that are must-haves?
Ok, not a popular strategy, but here is what we did. We went to a bunch of people's houses that had refrigerators and just went out and bought the one we liked the best. Between open houses (we were house shopping) and friends, almost everyone had a near brand new fridge. It was a little creepy opening their fridges, but I told them what we were up to and ask them questions. We ended up with a Whirlpool french door model because it was pretty quiet, had lots of room and I could get a decent price on it. But I was not married to it (many other good options).

Reliability is obviously a big question mark. I have never had a problem with anything other than the ice makers over say 20 years (my old fridges are relegated to garages but still working). If you are an ice lover, be sure you are aware that modern French door units typically have tiny ice storage areas, so you will run out frequently. In contrast my old side by side had a huge container that never ran out (could fill a cooler).

Side question, does energy efficiency even matter? Rough guess, fridge uses maybe $5 per month in electricity. If it uses $7, does that matter? I would just pick what you like.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Buy what looks good and pray that it lasts. Nobody can tell you which brand is actually reliable, not even consumer reports.

Most people say to avoid LG and Samsung because finding parts and people to work on them can be a nightmare. I didn't heed that advice and so far so good but its only been 10 months.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:56 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 pm
Buy what looks good and pray that it lasts. Nobody can tell you which brand is actually reliable, not even consumer reports.

Most people say to avoid LG and Samsung because finding parts and people to work on them can be a nightmare. I didn't heed that advice and so far so good but its only been 10 months.
You know, this is exactly my thinking.

With perhaps the additional suggestion...stick to the middle of the price/ features range...and look for one that more or less matches.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 pm

wstrdg wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 pm
We bought a Samsung french door, bottom drawer freezer about 5 years ago. Next time, we will go with LG bc salespeople told us that they receive far more calls about Samsung repair than LG repair.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The repair guy who came to diagnose my pain in the $##* Kenmore Elite (aka LG-made) fridge assured me that I chose the WORST model possible. (Thank you Consumer Reports :oops: ) He said any other brand would be a better choice...he gets a ton of LG calls and they're often out of stock for multiple months on parts. Several of his customers gave up and just bought new fridges. (And no, he doesn't sell appliances - no dog in this fight.)

When I was fridge shopping, I couldn't find a single brand that wasn't blasted. I miss the old Sears days when Kenmore was gold.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 pm

wstrdg wrote:
We bought a Samsung french door, bottom drawer freezer about 5 years ago.
Yeh. So did I. Next fridge will not be Samsung. Next fridge I will research the model before I buy it. Too late now, but the model I bought (RF197ACRS) had a reputation . . .

Also, the bottom freezer is bigger than I need. That part isn't Samsung's fault, but I will look for a top freezer and more room inside next time. Like the open down the middle design though; not going back to the old side opener.

spooky105

Post by spooky105 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:37 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 pm
wstrdg wrote:
We bought a Samsung french door, bottom drawer freezer about 5 years ago. Next time, we will go with LG bc salespeople told us that they receive far more calls about Samsung repair than LG repair.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: The repair guy who came to diagnose my pain in the $##* Kenmore Elite (aka LG-made) fridge assured me that I chose the WORST model possible. (Thank you Consumer Reports :oops: ) He said any other brand would be a better choice...he gets a ton of LG calls and they're often out of stock for multiple months on parts. Several of his customers gave up and just bought new fridges. (And no, he doesn't sell appliances - no dog in this fight.)

When I was fridge shopping, I couldn't find a single brand that wasn't blasted. I miss the old Sears days when Kenmore was gold.
This was a trend item when I talked to multiple sales folks prior to our fridge purchase two years ago. Sounds like not much has changed.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:54 am

megabad wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:31 pm
wolf359 wrote:

Ok, not a popular strategy, but here is what we did. We went to a bunch of people's houses that had refrigerators and just went out and bought the one we liked the best. Between open houses (we were house shopping) and friends, almost everyone had a near brand new fridge. It was a little creepy opening their fridges, but I told them what we were up to and ask them questions. We ended up with a Whirlpool french door model because it was pretty quiet, had lots of room and I could get a decent price on it. But I was not married to it (many other good options).

Reliability is obviously a big question mark. I have never had a problem with anything other than the ice makers over say 20 years (my old fridges are relegated to garages but still working). If you are an ice lover, be sure you are aware that modern French door units typically have tiny ice storage areas, so you will run out frequently. In contrast my old side by side had a huge container that never ran out (could fill a cooler).

Side question, does energy efficiency even matter? Rough guess, fridge uses maybe $5 per month in electricity. If it uses $7, does that matter? I would just pick what you like.
On energy efficiency.

A 1985 fridge burned as much as 2000 kwhr pa. That's $220 pa (10.5 c/ kwhr was the average US retail electricity price, although it's higher than that now) or say $18 pcm.

Post 2003 that fridge (which was also larger) burned c. 550 kwhr pa or say $4.50 pcm. In energy conservation research this is known as the "Art Rosenfeld Effect" for the physicist and California energy commissioner who persuaded Jerry Brown (he was governor in the 1970s - whatever happened to him? ;-)) that new nuclear plants could be postponed/ cancelled if CA embraced energy conservation. We are still (globally) reaping the benefits that Art Rosenfeld unleashed - a hero of the 20th century.

So if you have a 20+ year old fridge out in the back, it could well be using 2x the energy of your main fridge (the efficiency changes really gained momentum post 1992). It's something to check. If you happen to live in New England, NY, Southern California or other high electricity cost jurisdiction, this could really hurt.

Old fridges are one of the biggest energy burners in a house. That's why some utilities give (gave?) a credit to scrap them.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 am

Make sure that you pay attention to the depth of the models you are considering. The newer ones are much deeper than what was around 16 years ago, and if your space isn't up to snuff, your choice may be limited to a "counter depth" model.

When we redid our kitchen a while back, we left plenty of room on top and to the side of the 'frig for someone to put in a newer model. But there was not room to pull the cabinetry forward even more, so we hope the "counter depth" options will still be available for a while.

Topic Author
wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. They were helpful.

- To solve the reliability issue, we bought from Costco. We have no idea if the unit we get will be a lemon or not. However, Costco automatically doubles the manufacturer's warranty period to 2 years. If I buy with the Costco credit card, it gets doubled again to 4 years. If I buy a Square Trade warranty, it goes to 5 years. Even if the manufacturer doesn't repair their product, Costco and Square Trade both have good reputations and a replacement option. The Costco combined extended warranties don't even require additional cost. This beats buying from anywhere else, where you get the standard 1 year warranty, and pay $200-$500 for a poorly rated store-sponsored extended warranty.

- Our research showed that the most reliable units are the traditional models with freezers on top, and no ice maker or water. The rage these days is the French door style. We ended up with the French door style, because my wife wants to show it off.

- We combined reviews from online sites, Consumer Reports, and online reviews to get a feel for models, brands, and features.

- The best time to buy seems to be associated with holiday sales. Memorial Day was one of those. Black Friday appears to be one of the best, but we can't wait that long.

- Nothing beats going to see a unit in person, so you see what you get. We ended up ordering one unit, then cancelling it when my wife finally saw it in person and could see the tradeoffs.

- The French door units can have REALLY small ice makers. The ones that don't have an extra freezer unit in the refrigerator section, which reduces refrigerated space. It's a trade-off with that style.

Now we are playing the waiting game until the unit finally arrives.

Thank you!

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm afraid that your wife's desire for french door, especially with ice in the door, and your desire for reliable, are mutually exclusive.

I also have a Samsung French door. Never again.

BTW, there's an ongoing class action lawsuit about ice makers freezing up in Samsung French Door fridges.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm too late to the party but I always buy the old reliable basic top freezer model with no fancy addons. I like to keep appliances simple so there are less things to break.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Lewis Clark

Post by Lewis Clark » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Before buying a refrigerator (or an air conditioning unit), I recommend contacting your power company. Some power companies offer discounts or rebates for buying energy efficient appliances. It would be worth the call to see what is available from your power company before making a decision.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:25 pm

legio XX wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 pm
wstrdg wrote:
We bought a Samsung french door, bottom drawer freezer about 5 years ago.
Yeh. So did I. Next fridge will not be Samsung. Next fridge I will research the model before I buy it. Too late now, but the model I bought (RF197ACRS) had a reputation . . .

Also, the bottom freezer is bigger than I need. That part isn't Samsung's fault, but I will look for a top freezer and more room inside next time. Like the open down the middle design though; not going back to the old side opener.
I have a Samsung and have had issues with water leakage...not sure I'd rebuy this brand.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Topic Author
wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:48 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:41 pm
I'm afraid that your wife's desire for french door, especially with ice in the door, and your desire for reliable, are mutually exclusive.

I also have a Samsung French door. Never again.

BTW, there's an ongoing class action lawsuit about ice makers freezing up in Samsung French Door fridges.
I know those two are mutually exclusive. :(

We apparently dodged a bullet by not getting the Samsung French door fridge. We liked the fact that it had much greater ice capacity, then found out about the lawsuit and complaints. It might be water leakage, or it could be insufficient insulation causing condensation on the wall. Either way, we decided against Samsung.

We lhave a lot of experience with Samsung products. They have great features and generally make good quality products, but they don't honor their warranties. If something goes wrong, they do nothing about it. Their lack of responsiveness is partly why we decided not to go with Samsung this time around.

Topic Author
wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Lewis Clark wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:25 pm
Before buying a refrigerator (or an air conditioning unit), I recommend contacting your power company. Some power companies offer discounts or rebates for buying energy efficient appliances. It would be worth the call to see what is available from your power company before making a decision.
This is a good idea. I quickly checked, and unfortunately our utility doesn't offer these programs. Just an energy audit service.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Which brands do you like?
We have a Kenmore Elite model that meets all your requirements. Even has great reliability reviews. Then a stray bolt of lightening fried the circuit board. The repairman said it may be six months to a year to get a replacement board since it was made by LG. He totaled the refrigerator and gave me the brands and models of refrigerators to stay away from at that time because they either had parts that failed frequently or hard to quantify things like the availability of replacement parts. Since them before any major appliance purchase, I always call up my local repairman and ask him if the models I am contemplating are on his list to not buy. He has been happy to help me out.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Since you bought the french-door style I have two pieces of advice

1) Get a fridge bin for raw meat - if you eat meat - to absolutely prevent cross contamination
2) Place boxes in the freezer on their sides, as if you were filing them in a filing cabinet.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:16 pm

I am also shopping for a new refrigerator, although I think I will try to change out the evaporative motor fan first. I think the top freezer is likely the safest option.

IMO

Post by IMO » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Absolutely. It's all really a crap shoot.
Don't overspend because it's all really a crap shoot.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:14 am

IMO wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 pm
Absolutely. It's all really a crap shoot.
Don't overspend because it's all really a crap shoot.
My anecdotal 26 years of experience with Sub-Zero refrigerators says "not true".

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:27 am

btenny wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:06 pm
Talk to your wife at about the side by side style versus the bottom freezer style. Lots of people we know are not happy with their bottom freezer setups. The ice makers do not work very well. And they are so poor people end up putting store ice in the freezer and making drinks from there. It is hard to find stuff in the freezer because all the packages are stacked on top of each other. The extra shelf width up top is not more useful than the old style smaller shelves. They are more expensive.

Good Luck.
+1

I hate bottom freezers. French doors are a gimmick to me. It takes as much effort to open one normal door as one French door and you need two hands to open both doors so I don't get it. You're really not saving any energy unless you are keeping the door open forever.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:30 am

I'd get one with the least bells and whistle possible. Less to go wrong. That is, if you don't want it to need repair frequently.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:57 am

wolf359 wrote:

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:27 am
btenny wrote:

Good Luck.
I hate bottom freezers. French doors are a gimmick to me. It takes as much effort to open one normal door as one French door and you need two hands to open both doors so I don't get it. You're really not saving any energy unless you are keeping the door open forever.
I LOVE my French door fridge w/bottom freezer.

I can see everything in the fridge, and reach anything without bending. No: you do not need to open both doors at all times, and two hands are not required to open two doors. BTW More often than not, I am only opening one door, because I know on which side my target dwells. And the door swing is half the distance.

The freezer holds sooo much more than my previous top freezer. And it's sooo much easier to find things. On two shelves that pull way out, there are total four compartments. Mine are organized: veggies, fish, poultry, meat. I "lose" less in this freezer than used to get "lost" behind and under stuff in the back of my cramped old top-freezer.

My needs do not require in-door water. (Our delicious water comes out of the tap fridge-cold 365 days a year.) And I had the ice maker removed the day is was delivered. One bonafide French door gripe is limited capacity to hold gallon-sized jugs, but I never have any.

Where I live, nobody will repair Samsung or LG, so I did't even consider those.

My kitchen has space constraints because of floorpan and cabinetry. I now have more "chill" capacity, with easier physical and visual access to all the foods, in the same footprint.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 am

barnaclebob wrote:

Hmm, while one cannot predict the reliability of a single appliance I would think the feedback from tens of thousands of consumer reports readers is useful.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Flobes wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:57 am
wolf359 wrote:

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:27 am
btenny wrote:

Good Luck.
I LOVE my French door fridge w/bottom freezer.

I can see everything in the fridge, and reach anything without bending. No: you do not need to open both doors at all times, and two hands are not required to open two doors. BTW More often than not, I am only opening one door, because I know on which side my target dwells. And the door swing is half the distance.

The freezer holds sooo much more than my previous top freezer. And it's sooo much easier to find things. On two shelves that pull way out, there are total four compartments. Mine are organized: veggies, fish, poultry, meat. I "lose" less in this freezer than used to get "lost" behind and under stuff in the back of my cramped old top-freezer.

My needs do not require in-door water. (Our delicious water comes out of the tap fridge-cold 365 days a year.) And I had the ice maker removed the day is was delivered. One bonafide French door gripe is limited capacity to hold gallon-sized jugs, but I never have any.

Where I live, nobody will repair Samsung or LG, so I did't even consider those.

My kitchen has space constraints because of floorpan and cabinetry. I now have more "chill" capacity, with easier physical and visual access to all the foods, in the same footprint.
To each his own. I wouldn't have a top/bottom fridge either. I prefer side by side.

Every refrigerator has something low to the ground. It is just the way it is. It is a matter of what is low (fridge/freezer/combo) and what you put there.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Post by fortfun » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9: ... wrong.....

OP - The above is almost the same advice my appliance repair person gave me a couple of months ago. He suggested Whirlpool or Frigidaire with as few bells and whistles as needed.

Good luck!

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:10 pm

Broken link on Fortune.

MIL's 20 plus year GE fridge's ice was not defrosting. She would like to have a new one. Short story, replaced the defrost heater assembly (plug-and-play) using cheap parts for $25, by following instructions on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BG ... UTF8&psc=1

American part was $80. Even bought a timer as a backup for $17, just in case. eBay could be bought for much less but she wanted them fast. Vacuumed the back (old coils are on the back, not on the bottom - a perfectly new design for things to go wrong since heat goes up) also.

As someone said that the less bell and whistle the better; French door might not be in style but it works. Sub-zero might be great, like GE and others in the past, but the newer batch all had expensive repairs. I know at least 3 friends who could afford the fridges but loathed their frequent repair costs.

Ours have no ice maker on the front. If I need ice, make them the old fashion way or go to the supermarket for a bag or two. Our small bare bone fridge in the basement (Frigidaire) has been running fine for over 15 years now.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:27 pm

I bought LG LFXS 30766S standard depth, french door, lower freezer, stainless steel model 2 months ago.
Meets all your wife's criteria and 1/3 of yours. (energy efficient).

We find the door in door more useful than we thought at the time of buying.

Reliability and longevity: yet to be decided. But anticipated to be poor (compared to my honda/toyota cars) and so bought a long term warranty.
Ram

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:21 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm
wolf359 wrote:
We have a Kenmore Elite model that meets all your requirements. Even has great reliability reviews. Then a stray bolt of lightening fried the circuit board. The repairman said it may be six months to a year to get a replacement board since it was made by LG. He totaled the refrigerator and gave me the brands and models of refrigerators to stay away from at that time because they either had parts that failed frequently or hard to quantify things like the availability of replacement parts. Since them before any major appliance purchase, I always call up my local repairman and ask him if the models I am contemplating are on his list to not buy. He has been happy to help me out.
I am quite certain we have the same refrigerator. lol. My 3-year warranty expires this year and I'm expecting it to break or die within the next year, especially with all the lightening strikes in this region. Even if the warranty went longer, I was told any fixes would require 3-6 months, due to lack of parts. So what good is it? I don't have space for a backup fridge while I wait. It's going to drive me nuts to toss a $1500+ fridge like it's a cheap $20 toaster. :annoyed

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 am

I like the new technology.

My fridge locks me out if it suspects I am overeating.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 am

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:21 am
My 3-year warranty expires this year and I'm expecting it to break or die within the next year, especially with all the lightening strikes in this region....
Plug the fridge into a surge protector, such as https://www.tripplite.com/protect-it-su ... les~TLP4BK . Do the same for any appliance you have that uses electronic controls, such as dishwasher, clothes washing machine, etc, as well as electronics such as cable modem, wireless router, TV, etc.) Cheap insurance. You can even add a whole house surge protector to make that the first line of defense, and keep the ones at the outlets as a second line of defense.
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:23 am

BogleFanGal wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm
wolf359 wrote:
I am quite certain we have the same refrigerator. lol. My 3-year warranty expires this year and I'm expecting it to break or die within the next year, especially with all the lightening strikes in this region. Even if the warranty went longer, I was told any fixes would require 3-6 months, due to lack of parts. So what good is it? I don't have space for a backup fridge while I wait. It's going to drive me nuts to toss a $1500+ fridge like it's a cheap $20 toaster. :annoyed
Before installing our replacement fridge, I put in a power surge outlet (replacing conventional outlet that was there) where the refrigerator plugs into to prevent future occurrences. It also comes with a built in speaker so if it trips, it will play a noise to get our attention to reset it before things start spoiling in the fridge. We've had it two or three years now and it hasn't tripped.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:37 am

TimeRunner wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 am
BogleFanGal wrote:
My 3-year warranty expires this year and I'm expecting it to break or die within the next year, especially with all the lightening strikes in this region....
Plug the fridge into a surge protector, such as https://www.tripplite.com/protect-it-su ... les~TLP4BK . Do the same for any appliance you have that uses electronic controls, such as dishwasher, clothes washing machine, etc, as well as electronics such as cable modem, wireless router, TV, etc.) Cheap insurance. You can even add a whole house surge protector to make that the first line of defense, and keep the ones at the outlets as a second line of defense.
even better, put in a whole house surge protector like this
https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider ... B00CONA1OQ

I got mine for $70

Next time you have any electric work have the electrician do this as well, won't be much more, installs fairly easily at the panel. Much simpler than protecting everything one by one

Topic Author
wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 am

ram wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:27 pm
I bought LG LFXS 30766S standard depth, french door, lower freezer, stainless steel model 2 months ago.
Meets all your wife's criteria and 1/3 of yours. (energy efficient).

We find the door in door more useful than we thought at the time of buying.

Reliability and longevity: yet to be decided. But anticipated to be poor (compared to my honda/toyota cars) and so bought a long term warranty.
Thank you.

This is actually the specific model my wife liked. Unfortunately, almost everybody had sold out of it for the Memorial Day sale. We ended up getting the model without the door-in-door, in favor of a lower price and a 7 year warranty.

It turns out that almost everything these days meets my energy efficiency standard. They're all about twice as efficient as my 16-year-old unit. They cluster in the range of $80-$88/year to operate.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 am

Blueskies123 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 am
barnaclebob wrote:

Hmm, while one cannot predict the reliability of a single appliance I would think the feedback from tens of thousands of consumer reports readers is useful.
By the time Consumer reports has enough longevity data on a product, it will already be out of production. So unless they are doing detailed teardowns to compare parts (and their duty cycles) of the current models to the past models I don't believe the can have accurate ratings for new models. Then there are considerations of how to weigh ease of repair with reliability.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:18 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:23 am

Before installing our replacement fridge, I put in a power surge outlet (replacing conventional outlet that was there) where the refrigerator plugs into to prevent future occurrences. It also comes with a built in speaker so if it trips, it will play a noise to get our attention to reset it before things start spoiling in the fridge. We've had it two or three years now and it hasn't tripped.
If a reset is required, it's probably not the best idea if you travel as much as we do. Unless someone is stating in your home.