Gillette Fusion razors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Gillette Fusion razors

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm

Are all the Gillette Fusion razors pretty much the same or is the pro glide better than the regular version - https://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusion- ... way&sr=8-3

Also, are they interchangeable? Will a regular cartridge blade fit on a pro glide handle?

And if I decide to try something else, any recommendations?

aristotelian

Re: Gillette Fusion razors

Post by aristotelian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Cartridge razors are all ripoffs as far as I am concerned.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm
Traditional DE razor and soap or shaving cream. Way better shave and costs just a few dollars a year.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:52 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Are all the Gillette Fusion razors pretty much the same or is the pro glide better than the regular version - https://www.amazon.com/Gillette-Fusion- ... way&sr=8-3

Also, are they interchangeable? Will a regular cartridge blade fit on a pro glide handle?

All of the fusion blades will fit into any of the fusion handles. Fusion is the best shave out there.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Traditional DE razor and soap or shaving cream. Way better shave and costs just a few dollars a year.
Also consider shave oil. I use it while traveling and recently I've switched to it at home as well. You only need a few drops per shave so a 15ml bottle will last you a few months. I like Somerset personally.

CABob

Post by CABob » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:06 pm

I used the Fusion razor for several years but went back to the Mach 3. I find that the 3 blade is easier to use than the 5 blade. I also have tried the Costco Kirkland competitor to the Mach 3 and like it.
There is a chat function on the Gillette website that I have used in the past for questions such as yours regarding cartridge interchangeability.
I recently bought the Gillette =Skinguard razor but have not had a chance to use it yet.
Bob

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Have been using Dorco for years. Much cheaper and no issues.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm

I've tried them all, including DE razors. Mach 3 is the best balance between convenience and cost. Completely dry the blade after every shave to increase longevity. Can even keep it in oil. Some people enjoy shaving like others enjoy golf and invest the time and money. I enjoy a nice slow shave once in a while but 95% of the time, I'm just trying to get out the door.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:57 pm

I do what The Wirecutter tells me to do.
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-manual-razor/

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm
Have been using Dorco for years. Much cheaper and no issues.
I'm a DE shaver and love Dorco blades. I bought a pack of 100 and it will last me years and years (and years and years and years).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm

I buy the Schick Hydro5 blades from eBay. I usually buy a bulk pack with free shipping.

First tried the Hydro5 from a Costco bundle. 5 blades.

I can shave with just water. Never could do that with the Fusion. The Hydro5 blades don't clog as easy for me as others I've tried.

If you pay full retail, none of the blades are very reasonable. Look for deals.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:34 pm

generic cheap disposable razors are what i've been using the past decade or so. The piece cost is like $0.10 if you get them on sale and you don't even need to buy them in bulk. I spend maybe $2-4 per year on razors.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks all. I thought about the Mach 3, but think I'm going to stick with the ProGlide again as I've been happy with it and it gets great reviews.

I'm more concerned about comfort and ease of use than saving money as I get probably about a month out of the cartridges so I figure ~$36 / year on razors isn't bad.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bogle7

Schick Extreme 3

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm

I buy "Schick Xtreme3 Disposables Razors Sensitive Vitamin E & Aloe, Green - Lot of 30 - Bulk Packaging - $23.95".
That is 80¢ each.
I shave in the shower. I rinse the razor thoroughly and hang it up.
One razor = one month.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm

protagonist wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:57 pm
Thanks for the link.
I always enjoy reading opinions and forums on shaving.
BTW, I don’t particularly care for the Fusion....I think the Schick Hydro5 is better.
The Mach 3 is OK, but just OK.
I also like using my Merkur and my Parker....both very nice razors IMHO.
I also like Astra blades; and when I am very daring, the Feather blades.
I use Proraso bowl and also Proraso tube with my brush.
Thanks again.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:07 pm

safety razor all the way!!! dirt cheap.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:16 pm

I have used most razor brands and styles. Bought a Harry’s razor about 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. Better shave and blades are less than $2 each. They recently came out with a woman’s line called Flamingo. Got for my wife and she loves it.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:49 am

bondsr4me wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thanks for the link.
BTW, I don’t particularly care for the Fusion....I think the Schick Hydro5 is better.
Thanks again.
Wirecutter is a metareview site. I trust them more than I trust any other (for what that is worth). When I want something and don't know what to buy I usually just buy what they tell me to. I have gotten burned a few times but my success rate has been very high.

I prefer the Mach 3 over all other razors I have tried, including those with 4 and 5 blades. To my surprise I like the vibrating one more than the regular one. The blades last a long time.

If anybody knows a better, more honest metareviewer, I would like to know about it.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:44 pm
I have found them to be a better value than disposables (especially in Costo packs), because of the poor initial sharpness and rapid dulling of the latter. At best, I only ever got mediocre shaves with lots of skin irritation from disposables, and could only use each 3-4 times before it was unbearable. With cartridges, even after several dozen uses (your mileage may vary), I get better shaves than brand new disposables.

The consensus seems to be twin-blade safety razors are significantly better and cheaper than cartridges, but require more time. Time isn't something I have much of right now, especially not when the savings would be only around a $1 per month.

I've also heard that, both for cartridges and disposables, different brands work better or worse for different people, so you're probably best off trying them yourself.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 pm
aristotelian wrote:
I have found them to be a better value than disposables (especially in Costo packs), because of the poor initial sharpness and rapid dulling of the latter. At best, I only ever got mediocre shaves with lots of skin irritation from disposables, and could only use each 3-4 times before it was unbearable. With cartridges, even after several dozen uses (your mileage may vary), I get better shaves than brand new disposables.

The consensus seems to be twin-blade safety razors are significantly better and cheaper than cartridges, but require more time. Time isn't something I have much of right now, especially not when the savings would be only around a $1 per month.

I've also heard that, both for cartridges and disposables, different brands work better or worse for different people, so you're probably best off trying them yourself.
You should be spending a lot more than $1/month on cartridges. Aren't they usually about $15 for a 4 pack? Even if you stretch them to two months that is $7.50/month.

I am a dual edged safety razor guy. Only extra time commitment is I need to do an extra pass. That takes maybe 10 seconds.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:55 pm

protagonist wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:49 am
bondsr4me wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Thanks for the link.
Thanks again.
Wirecutter is a metareview site. I trust them more than I trust any other (for what that is worth). When I want something and don't know what to buy I usually just buy what they tell me to. I have gotten burned a few times but my success rate has been very high.

I prefer the Mach 3 over all other razors I have tried, including those with 4 and 5 blades. To my surprise I like the vibrating one more than the regular one. The blades last a long time.

If anybody knows a better, more honest metareviewer, I would like to know about it.
Good to know. I've used both the Mach 3 and Fusion and was happy with both. I decided to just pick up a Mach 3 and compare them side by side for myself. I guess shaving half my face with one of each will be the deciding factor for me :)

Toons

Re: Schick Extreme 3

Post by Toons » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:50 pm
I buy "Schick Xtreme3 Disposables Razors Sensitive Vitamin E & Aloe, Green - Lot of 30 - Bulk Packaging - $23.95".
That is 80¢ each.
I shave in the shower. I rinse the razor thoroughly and hang it up.
One razor = one month.
Ditto
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:20 pm

yeahman wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm
I've tried them all, including DE razors. Mach 3 is the best balance between convenience and cost. Completely dry the blade after every shave to increase longevity. Can even keep it in oil. Some people enjoy shaving like others enjoy golf and invest the time and money. I enjoy a nice slow shave once in a while but 95% of the time, I'm just trying to get out the door.
Another Mach 3 user here.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:40 pm

I've been using a Fusion for about 7 months, really like the shave, three more payments, I'll own the razor.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 pm
iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 pm
aristotelian wrote:

You should be spending a lot more than $1/month on cartridges. Aren't they usually about $15 for a 4 pack? Even if you stretch them to two months that is $7.50/month.

I am a dual edged safety razor guy. Only extra time commitment is I need to do an extra pass. That takes maybe 10 seconds.
I think it was $30 for a 20 pack at Costco. Those without Costco memberships can get them for close to that price from online sellers. I get over a month per cartridge (I can get away with shaving a couple times a week), which seems ridiculous, but they're still shaving fairly well when I throw them out - only a moderate improvement with the replacement cartridge.

As far as time, everything I've read before indicated you really want to be more careful with safety razors than cartridges. I'm already a bit prone to nicking myself, and shaving cuts take forever to stop bleeding.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:55 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:49 am
bondsr4me wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Thanks for the link.
Thanks again.

Good to know. I've used both the Mach 3 and Fusion and was happy with both. I decided to just pick up a Mach 3 and compare them side by side for myself. I guess shaving half my face with one of each will be the deciding factor for me :)
Funny.
I'm sure it has a lot to do with personal preference, face shape, thickness of beard, etc....

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Big fan of the Gillette Atra Plus for probably the past 30 years or so. I've been using the Personna blades for the past several years. I find them every bit as good as the Gillette blades. Around $20.00 for 50 blades on Amazon. Or you can get 10 of the Gillette blades for $18.00. Either way, a great shave every time.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Where can I get Mach3 for a good price?
Costco doesnt sell them anymore.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 pm

yeahman wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm
+1. Tried the Dorco versions, 3,4,5 blade, but the issue is that the spacing between blades is smaller than Mach 3, and the more blades, the tighter the spacing. Spacing matters - the cut hairs need to fit between the blades and exit the rear or the blades clog up quickly. After trying a buncha different brands, and grumbling about Gillette's insane markups, I just suck it up and buy Mach 3 blades at Costco. Oh well, life's' too short to worry about a cup of coffee's profit when running sharp blades over your face.
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:46 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm
As far as time, everything I've read before indicated you really want to be more careful with safety razors than cartridges. I'm already a bit prone to nicking myself, and shaving cuts take forever to stop bleeding.
It's all a matter of finding the technique that works for your combination of face, handle, and blade. For me what works perfectly and results in very very rare nicks is to use a pretty sharp blade (Gilette Platinum Black--maybe an 8/10) in a razor with a pretty aggressive comb and a fairly heavy handle (Muhle R41 Grande), and then applying zero pressure with my hand. Just let the weight of the handle do the work, and I'm just responsible for dragging it along. Result is a very smooth shave with very little irritation.

Other people have completely different setups that work amazingly well for them, and would tear my face right off. :mrgreen:

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:38 am

Cycle wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:34 pm
generic cheap disposable razors are what i've been using the past decade or so. The piece cost is like $0.10 if you get them on sale and you don't even need to buy them in bulk. I spend maybe $2-4 per year on razors.
A friend of mine's father (He told me that he had to go swimming twice when the aircraft carriers Hornet and Wasp were sunk.) used the single edge and had the razor strap to sharpen it with. My friend said that the razor strap spoke to him many times.

I started in the 60s with the old fashioned safety razor....they worked ok. When the Gillette Trac 2 came out, I switched. I haven't used a safety razor since. A gentleman born in 1915, said that the Gillette Trac 2 razor was the best invention known to man. He also told stories about getting wet twice on the invasions of Africa and Southern France.

I tried some of the 3-5 blade models...top of the line...they worked fine....possibly a faster shave.

I compared them with inexpensive 4 per pack Wilkinsons Trac 2 style from Walmart...they worked fine.

I tried even cheaper per razor maybe Bics (Trac 2 style)...12 or 20 per pack..they worked fine. These may be my favorite...sometimes I think that they are sharper than the others.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:50 am

I shave my head regularly, so I have been through some razors.

Tried the Head Blade, was not impressed. It is too small also cut my head a few times with this device.

Have settled in to the Gillette Fusion razors, bought a refill pack from Sam's that was expensive but should last awhile. The Fusion razors work well, rarely cut myself with them. So far I have not found a comparable shave to the Fusion to include quality of shave, ease of use, safety etc.

Ok, so just saw this and I must admit it is a bit over the top! When will it end?

https://ondemand.gillette.com/en-us/sho ... lsrc=aw.ds
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:51 am

I like Harry's. Reasonable cost and close shave. I am a fast shaver, and I'm not sure how forgiving a DE razor is for someone who rushes through their shaves; anyone have any insight on that?

smectym

Post by smectym » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am

Gillette Sensor 2. They come in 3 plastic bags of 10 from Amazon for $17.82. Cheap, and they look and feel cheap. But deliver a smooth shave.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:50 am
Ok, so just saw this and I must admit it is a bit over the top! When will it end?
https://ondemand.gillette.com/en-us/sho ... lsrc=aw.ds
Wow :shock:
That is outrageous. Can't wait for someone to give a review.
Bob

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:06 pm

My dad still shaves with a single blade, blue, plastic handle disposable.

I tried one a few times and it was like shaving with a butter knife. Looked I got shot with bird shot. :shock:

I bought him a Schick Hydro 5. He wouldn't even try it.

Whatever blades, 1,2,3,4,5 that works for you works. I remember when the Mach 3 were new and shockingly good.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

yousha

Post by yousha » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Basically, they are all the same. Perhaps, psychologically it might appear better or worse.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:26 pm

1. Been using Harry's (5 blade) for about a year, after using Fusion a couple years. IMO it is NOT "just as good" as Fusion, but Im willing to take 90% of the performance for half the cost. Recently got a sample Fusion ProGlide in mail and that is the best cartridge shave Ive ever had, period.

2. What a lot of 5 blade critics don't get is that you get a lot more shaves per cartridge, I assume because the forces are spread across the added blades.
So the per shave cost is much lower than sticker shock might make you think.

3. Other BIG benefit of 5 blades w the leading edge hinge design (where you pull razor rather than scrape with it) is almost impossible to cut yourself. I routinely shave by touch in the shower, no mirror. That saves real time so worth $$ to me.

FIREmeup

Post by FIREmeup » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:37 pm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gillette-Fus ... t/14071268

Walmart is cheaper by a few bucks. I love the gilette fusion 5. Mach 3 is good. Schick did awful things to my face. Looked like I used a cheese grater. Obviously this is more expensive than other options but I am like you and they last at least a month. Less than $2.75 a month is a luxury I'll enjoy and after 7 years still haven't cut myself once.

vshun

Post by vshun » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm

I went from Fusion to Dorco (cheaper but blade was flimsy so plastic kept breaking) to Kirkland (in Costco) which is like 12 cartridges for $20 and they seem to do the job and last the long time.

CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:58 pm

I won't give a dime to this company.....for reasons outside the scope of this thread.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:07 pm

I tried them side by. The Fusion is heavier and feels higher quality. I also like how it has the single (6th) blade on the back which is great for side burn and beard lines. I also like the swivel head and am impressed at how it goes through 2-3 day old stubble.

But when I tried the Mach 3 it also performed extremely well. I'm going to grow out some longer stubble to see how the Mach 3 compares. That's where I think having the extra 2 blades will help but we'll see.

I'll probably stick with the Fusion for the benefits described above but I've been quite impressed with both

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:29 pm

When I do shave, which is very, very, very rare (family weddings/funerals) I use a Merkur double-edge safety razor using the fifth blade of the ten blade pack I ordered at the same time as the razor, February 25, 2014. (Amazon order records are sweet).

So, about a blade a year works for me.

I would feel right at home with the men in the Duck Dynasty TV show. My beard is much better trimmed.

I had a beard when my oldest daughter was born, and I shaved it off for some reason. She was clearly confused, and a bit standoffish as well. Though, technically she wasn't old enough to be standing at the time.

If I shaved regularly, I think the multi-blade razors might work fine, but when I do shave, a multi-blade razor would be painful, and a hassle, probably clogging a lot.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:43 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:58 pm
I won't give a dime to this company.....for reasons outside the scope of this thread.
Same here, brother. I remember.
Funding secured

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:02 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:43 pm
CobraKai wrote:
I’m curious why. I googled Gillette boycott and seems like it has to do with the 2 minute ad which I personally feel indifferent about.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:05 pm

mancich wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:51 am
I like Harry's. Reasonable cost and close shave. I am a fast shaver, and I'm not sure how forgiving a DE razor is for someone who rushes through their shaves; anyone have any insight on that?
I rush with a DE razor and rarely cut myself. About the same as when I used multiblade razors.

Buy a pack of 100 blades for 10 bucks. Lasts me two years.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Do folks use shaving cream or gel or something else with their razors? I find the cream/gel to me seems to clog the fusion blades or are more difficult to wash out.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:52 pm

drzzzzz wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm
Do folks use shaving cream or gel or something else with their razors? I find the cream/gel to me seems to clog the fusion blades or are more difficult to wash out.
I actually use shaving soap with a brush.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm

drzzzzz wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:37 pm
Cremo. https://cremocompany.com/mens-shave (available reasonably on Amazon)
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:49 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:02 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:43 pm
CobraKai wrote:
I’m curious why. I googled Gillette boycott and seems like it has to do with the 2 minute ad which I personally feel indifferent about.
That's pretty much why. Some people were more offended tyan others (and, obviously, some people cheered on the ad).