Buying Burial Plot in advance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Re: Buying Burial Plot in advance

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:47 am

ionenergy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 am
Hi,
Has anybody had any experience with buying burial plots? Would it really be cheaper to buy it earlier than later?
I’m 39 years old male with a wife and two children.
I’ve heard about burial plots as an investment.
I don’t have any plans to use it as an investment vehicle, but rather buy the plots in advance for my family and generations to come.
Is that a good idea money wise?
I live in los angeles btw
Thanks
I would wait until you know where you will retire.

My parents bought in their 70’s and prepaid most funeral costs. It was a real gift to my brother and me. We had much less to do during a difficult time.

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am

We built our home 15 years ago as our "forever" home. We plan to retire and live out the rest of our lives here. We have a small cemetery near us on the way to town that we pass often. We decided we wanted to be buried there, so my wife and I bought a couple of plots. We did it to ensure we would have a place before the cemetery ran out of space, and so we would both know in advance where we'll end up. We did not do it as an investment (is that even a thing?).

When my dad died 30 years ago, I discovered he had purchased a burial plot for me back in my home town. I have no intention of ever going back to that town, let alone being buried there. So I contacted the cemetery and asked that it be donated to someone. They were fine with that. They may have sold it to someone else, that's fine, doesn't matter to me.

My mom and her husband purchased burial plots over 40 years ago. He drowned at age 39 and was buried in his reserved plot. She later remarried and purchased a third plot on the other side of hers. He died from a stroke and was buried in his reserved plot. Her plot is in the middle, waiting for her time...

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:09 am

gd wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 am
SrGrumpy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm
I do a lot of work on Findagrave, and see that often. The sad cases are where the spouse's headstone has a blank space for the surviving spouse's name and details, but that spouse decides to be buried elsewhere. So Spouse 1 spends eternity being stood up.
In my town's cemetery, it's not unheard of for people to have their names and birthdays already inscribed. I've got one neighbor who tends her own grave. :shock:
I love that lady! Pre-buying the stone or plaque might be a good compromise for OP. You don't want people to mess up the name or birth dates, and you can supply your own witty inscription. It will be a conversation piece in the living room.

Topic Author
ionenergy

Post by ionenergy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:20 am

Update:
I've done some research myself and found out that burial plots here in Los Angeles could be very lucrative. They actually have licensed burial plot brokers here (just like real estate) that facilitates the buying/selling of plots. The rate of return are from 8%-15% per year. I actually called some of the brokers asking for pricing just to learn more about this.
A private-type family plot here (with 4 slots) can cost from 400k to $600k depending on the location. Some family plots could reach the $millions if they are bigger or have a very nice location.
Also, some cemetery offer buy back programs after a certain number of years.

This is much crazier than I thought.