Are we downsizing too much?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kaudrey

Re: Are we downsizing too much?

Post by kaudrey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 pm
My in-laws in their mid 70s recently downsized to a 1,600, 3/2 on slab. The one issue was the yard is huge and mowing and snow removal was not included. No condo association. They are fretting about the yard and landscaping and mowing and sprinkling and it is stuff I wish (told them) to avoid at this stage. Neither can shovel snow or want to mow.

Take your time and I think you will know.
My parents are in their 80s - they hire a landscaper and a snow removal company.....they don't do any of that stuff themselves anymore.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm

kaudrey wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
My in-laws in their mid 70s recently downsized to a 1,600, 3/2 on slab. The one issue was the yard is huge and mowing and snow removal was not included. No condo association. They are fretting about the yard and landscaping and mowing and sprinkling and it is stuff I wish (told them) to avoid at this stage. Neither can shovel snow or want to mow.

My parents are in their 80s - they hire a landscaper and a snow removal company.....they don't do any of that stuff themselves anymore.
Yes. They hire out both services. It is an interesting switch for them. When I look outside and see the grass is long, I go mow. They have to wait 2 sometimes 3 days for the mowing service. ("The grass looks scragly..."). They have a lot of clients and they come when they are able.

For snow removal, the people come if there is more than 2" of new snow. This means that if there is no new snow, but it is windy and the driveway drifts in, there is no snow removal. They drive over the drift a few times and it packs down.

We might get 4 1" snows in a row. None qualify for snow removal, but collectively it adds up. Then my father-in-law is out there shoveling.

I help with shoveling. I help with pulling weeds and some yard work. But, I can't be there all the time. (this work thing gets in the way).

I showed them some condos with underground parking. There is green space, but not their green space. It is a different mindset.

Part of it is just having to adjust and part of it is the imperfectness of relying on others/services. Part of it is we live in a harsh climate with complicated seasons that overlap. If you have mowed one week and shoveled snow the next week, you know what I'm talking about. :oops:
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I haven't read all the replies, but that doesn't seem small to me. I think the layout becomes more and more important though as you go smaller in size. I moved from a 3600 sq ft home to a 1800 sq ft townhome. 2 people, no kids in either. The 3600 sq ft was way more space than we needed (5 beds, 3.5 baths, 2 family rooms). The 1800 sq ft is still really more space than we need. We have 2 extra bedrooms and a den that we use but don't have to have. The main thing I miss from my house is a walk in closet and bigger master bath. We entertain frequently and though we won't be having 50 people life we did a handful of times in the last place, we have hosted 20+ for holidays.

kaudrey

Post by kaudrey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:21 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 pm
kaudrey wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

Yes. They hire out both services. It is an interesting switch for them. When I look outside and see the grass is long, I go mow. They have to wait 2 sometimes 3 days for the mowing service. ("The grass looks scragly..."). They have a lot of clients and they come when they are able.

For snow removal, the people come if there is more than 2" of new snow. This means that if there is no new snow, but it is windy and the driveway drifts in, there is no snow removal. They drive over the drift a few times and it packs down.

We might get 4 1" snows in a row. None qualify for snow removal, but collectively it adds up. Then my father-in-law is out there shoveling.

I help with shoveling. I help with pulling weeds and some yard work. But, I can't be there all the time. (this work thing gets in the way).

I showed them some condos with underground parking. There is green space, but not their green space. It is a different mindset.

Part of it is just having to adjust and part of it is the imperfectness of relying on others/services. Part of it is we live in a harsh climate with complicated seasons that overlap. If you have mowed one week and shoveled snow the next week, you know what I'm talking about. :oops:
:P

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:24 pm

An 1,800 sf house is 1/3 smaller than your current home. Do you like your current home? Is there a genuine desire to downsize? We have recently downsized from a home that was larger than 3,000 feet to one that is approximately 20% smaller. It is an adjustment for sure. Not one we cannot make, just a change if you are used to your present home. A key issue for us has been storage. Long-term marriage with the various items accumulated, even though we have taken a very large number of items to Goodwill and sold a number of furniture items. We didn't "need" the previous house or one as large as the current one, but our "wants" are important to our quality of life when finances support the purchases. Yard and landscape care are issues unless you have them tended by someone.

Tim

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:24 pm
An 1,800 sf house is 1/3 smaller than your current home. Do you like your current home? Is there a genuine desire to downsize? We have recently downsized from a home that was larger than 3,000 feet to one that is approximately 20% smaller. It is an adjustment for sure. Not one we cannot make, just a change if you are used to your present home. A key issue for us has been storage. Long-term marriage with the various items accumulated, even though we have taken a very large number of items to Goodwill and sold a number of furniture items. We didn't "need" the previous house or one as large as the current one, but our "wants" are important to our quality of life when finances support the purchases. Yard and landscape care are issues unless you have them tended by someone.

Tim
Downsizing for me was a push to get rid of stuff we didn't need. I wish I had gotten rid of more. I try to be more careful buying things now thinking "is this going to be thrown in the trash next time I move."

RedRose

Post by RedRose » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:40 pm

With regard to fireplaces, there are some very nice electric ones on the market. Just flip a switch, poof; instant flame.
It's not the same as a real fire, but there's no firewood or clean up required.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:56 pm

It’s all relative. My goal in life is to live in a 120 sq ft “tiny house”, and I’ve lived in my car before. So my current 1800 sq ft is overkill — I use less than half of it.

But my folks are looking to move into their retirement home, and insist on something bigger than the 2400 sq ft they've lived in for more than 20 years.

My advice would be to Airbnb a house the size you’re considering for a week, and see how it feels.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:56 pm
It’s all relative. My goal in life is to live in a 120 sq ft “tiny house”, and I’ve lived in my car before. So my current 1800 sq ft is overkill — I use less than half of it.

But my folks are looking to move into their retirement home, and insist on something bigger than the 2400 sq ft they've lived in for more than 20 years.

My advice would be to Airbnb a house the size you’re considering for a week, and see how it feels.
I don't see how a week in a place furnished with someone else's stuff is going to be a helpful test.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:09 am

hudson wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:19 pm
I read all of the discussions about downsizing and the best state to live in. They all make me think and wonder.
Growing up, my parents moved to a bigger and nicer place every few years. I really liked the first places that we lived because of the great neighbors. From the day we moved in, neighbors and their children were in our house, and we were in theirs. After moving to the bigger and nicer places, that no longer happened. It was like living on an island.
We've lived in the same house for 44 years. The neighbors are great; I hope to stay here as long as the magic keeps working.
If your neighbors in the previous house were bad, you would have loved the island:) Neighbors are a big wildcard but you just need 1 bad one to hurt your quality of life. And they don't even really need to be "bad" as much as doing things that dont match how you want to live.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:13 am

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:56 pm
I would like to live in this for at least a few years:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-L ... 5007842360

My wife is not so much on board. :(
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Bogle7

Think small

Post by Bogle7 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 am

https://www.curbed.com/2019/6/7/1865583 ... chitecture
Tiny home in Japan shows how little space we really need

"When architect Takeshi Hosaka and his wife left their home in Yokohama, Japan, for Tokyo, they traded one tiny home for an even tinier home. Their new abode, a compact 204-square-foot nook called Love2House, is an exercise in seeing just how much space you can squeeze out of hardly any space at all."

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 am

Watty wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 pm
Jackson12 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 pm
Is this a good size for downsizing or could it feel cramped?
There are a lot more factors than square footage that will affect how the house feels like;

1) Do you have too much stuff for the house? This is a biggie.

2) How tall the ceilings are and if the house has lots of light.

3) Is there extra usable space that does not count in the square footage, like a large patio or unfinished basement?

4) Halls and stairways count towards square footage but they are not real usable. The general layout of a house will make a huge difference since some homes "flow" a lot better.

5) Your frame of reference. A 1,800 square foot condo in a major city would be humongous.
Spot on - I have a house under 1400 sq. ft with 3 BR/2BA. It also has an open floor plan and 10 ft ceilings. When people ask me the square footage of my house most are surprised it is as small as it is. The master bedroom and bath is spacious. I have a decent sized guest bedroom and a futon in my small office. I'm single so this is ample space for me. I do have too much stuff, but I need to get rid of stuff not get a bigger house. :wink:

One thing to consider if you are downsizing is whether the furniture which you are keeping will fit. Unless of course you want an excuse to get new furniture. :happy

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Is one of your kids in a position to step up and become the new family homestead for larger gatherings?

I found that a major factor in getting my mother to agree to downsize was the fact that my wife and I moved back to the area and bought quite a large house and basically turned ourselves into family central for all the Thanksiving and Christmas and other celebrations for when my other brothers and family come into town. Now everyone just stays at our house for the holidays and we have all the events here and my mother just drives up and takes over the kitchen like she always has.

The fact that my parents no longer have to host larger family gatherings or really host much at all made it much easier for them to downsize and move into an over 55 commmunity. It was a big weight off my mom knowing that she could still do all the holiday family entertaining that she wanted, just at my house.

In any event, the size of house you are talking about would have been above average for a family two generations ago.