Are we downsizing too much?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jackson12

Are we downsizing too much?

Post by Jackson12 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Please help with perspective, we’re in a 3000 sq foot home and only bought a home this big, many years who, because we got a great deal...and because we had 3 kids and the home worked perfectly for us. We used every inch.

The kids are now grown and we’re ready to move on. We’re now wondering how much home would be fine and what might seem cramped for a couple who has visiting grandkids and who also hosts dinners with friends once in awhile.

We’ve considered homes in the 1700 to 1800 sq foot range, most with 3 bedrooms, which would be ideal.. The last one we saw had 3 small bedrooms and a decent open concept living room and dining room. It had a nice fireplace ( a priority) and the bathrooms were well maintained and neutral ( a clean palette to work with).

We could easily afford it based on the comps for our home...which does match sales prices for neighborhood homes.

Is this a good size for downsizing or could it feel cramped? Please don’t judge me. I have no perspective about how that size space would feel, how it would “ live”...would it feel small, or adequate?

bloom2708

Re: Are we downsizing too much?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 pm

Doesn't seem that small. Still 1,800 sq ft and 3 bedrooms.

Do you have family gatherings where all 3 kids, their spouses/significant others and future kids stay for the long weekends?

3,000 sq ft might feel small when that happens. All is relative. You can downsize and up-price. Or downsize and down-price. Or downsize and same-price.

The other considerations are do you want to keep doing yard work, maintenance on the exterior, landscaping type stuff?

My in-laws in their mid 70s recently downsized to a 1,600, 3/2 on slab. The one issue was the yard is huge and mowing and snow removal was not included. No condo association. They are fretting about the yard and landscaping and mowing and sprinkling and it is stuff I wish (told them) to avoid at this stage. Neither can shovel snow or want to mow.

Take your time and I think you will know.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

student

Post by student » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 pm

What is the main reason for downsizing? Financial or too much upkeep, or both. Moving and adopting to a new environment is always tough. It seems rather pointless to downside to a 2500 sq ft home, so in order for it to be worthwhile to me, it has to drop to below 2000. I don't think you are downsizing too much. Having said that, I live in a 1,400 sq ft unit by myself and sometimes I wish I had more space.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm in a 2400 sq ft home. Had two kids. Really when the kids move out the only space unused is their bedrooms.

I don't see much upkeep difference with 2 unused bedrooms, and they are handy for occasional sleepover visitors. We would save a bit downsizing, but really not enough to make a material difference financially.

If I do decide to downsize it would be to get into a single story house that is more elder friendly.

I am also looking at ways to make the existing house more elder friendly for the end game. A converting a half bath to a full bath downstairs one of the ideas on the table.
Last edited by Ged on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Family of 4 here in 1700 sf. Open layout. 3/2. Works great for us.

For your situation, 1800 sf sounds ideal. My parents are in your boat and have 2400 sf. 400-600 sf is never used when we all get together....it's a front room/office and a 4th bedroom.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 pm

With visiting grandkids, do you mean a couple times a year or most weekends?

If it is a couple times a year, you can make do with almost any size. If it is most weekends, then it seems that you’d want a specific space for them. But keep in mind that they’ll grow and visit less often, but take up more space when they do. :)

It also depends on how much space you need for your personal activities and whether the space can be dual-purpose. If one of you needs an office, but a sofa bed in it can be used for guests than you’ve killed 2 birds with one stone.

We are retiring to a home that allows us to live on one floor, but has a 2nd floor with 2 bedrooms for guests.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:23 pm
We’ve considered homes in the 1700 to 1800 sq foot range, most with 3 bedrooms, which would be ideal..
We are a family of 3 and our 1892 square foot house is excessive in size.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Is this a good size for downsizing or could it feel cramped?
There are a lot more factors than square footage that will affect how the house feels like;

1) Do you have too much stuff for the house? This is a biggie.

2) How tall the ceilings are and if the house has lots of light.

3) Is there extra usable space that does not count in the square footage, like a large patio or unfinished basement?

4) Halls and stairways count towards square footage but they are not real usable. The general layout of a house will make a huge difference since some homes "flow" a lot better.

5) Your frame of reference. A 1,800 square foot condo in a major city would be humongous.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Currently a family of 3, soon will be 4 in our 1100sqft home. 1800sqft seems too big to me, but 2ba sure would be nice albeit more toilets to scrub.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

MP123

Post by MP123 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:05 pm

What's the prospective neighborhood like compared to the old one?

Downsizing to a more convenient or preferred location might be worth giving up some space and might live "larger" if there were more amenities closer by.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Please help with perspective, we’re in a 3000 sq foot home and only bought a home this big, many years who, because we got a great deal...and because we had 3 kids and the home worked perfectly for us. We used every inch.

The kids are now grown and we’re ready to move on. We’re now wondering how much home would be fine and what might seem cramped for a couple who has visiting grandkids and who also hosts dinners with friends once in awhile.

We’ve considered homes in the 1700 to 1800 sq foot range, most with 3 bedrooms, which would be ideal.. The last one we saw had 3 small bedrooms and a decent open concept living room and dining room. It had a nice fireplace ( a priority) and the bathrooms were well maintained and neutral ( a clean palette to work with).

We could easily afford it based on the comps for our home...which does match sales prices for neighborhood homes.

Is this a good size for downsizing or could it feel cramped? Please don’t judge me. I have no perspective about how that size space would feel, how it would “ live”...would it feel small, or adequate?
It depends.
You've grown used to 3000 square feet.
And, bedrooms can be turned into home offices, dens, exercise rooms, memory rooms for the kids and grandkids to visit, etc.

We retired and upsized greatly to a 4500 s.f. 3 story home, "because I got a steal on it."
We use all of it. Not a room wasted.

You won't know till you try it. The tough thing is if you find out it seems small after awhile and "make do".
Also, it's not just size, but location and "feel" of the home and area that matters as well.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:26 pm

I've never lived in a house bigger than 2K sq. ft., so I don't think 1800 seems too small. As far as putting up guests, I'd happy pay for my kids to stay in a hotel near me rather than spend too much on a bigger house that they visit only a couple of times a year or so.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 pm

1. Most people use a house far less for visitors than they thought. Don't let the tail wag the dog. Children may be perfectly happy sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

2. You will enjoy a larger master bedroom with attached bath. A house for two with three small bedrooms makes no sense.

3. Spare bedrooms will likely be used as studies or hobby rooms. It is helpful to be able to close the door on disorder.

4. A well-laid out 1500 square feet will be very comfortable for most couples. Inefficiently designed and used 2000 square feet may be unsatisfactory.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:33 pm

In retirement we went from 4 bedroom 3800 with tons of closets, to 4 bedroom 2500 with much less closet space. Much smaller yard that takes 30 minutes to mow and blow front and back which is great.

We still have 4 bedrooms (rooms with a closet) which was more important than total size. In addition to our master bedroom, my wife and I each need a bedroom to use as our individual office/hobby/music space. And we wanted one additional bedroom for visitors for a total of four bedrooms.

Frankly 2500 sq ft feel small to us - mostly because messy hobbies/toys/etc take up a lot of space. But as others have posted downsizing can be a little bit of a shock depending on how you are accustomed to living. We lived in a 4800 sqft house for a few years in one city and that house felt a little too big for us, but we loved the extra space especially when kids were young teens.

I'd not like to go much below 1800 at least until I am forced by age to be less active and have fewer hobbies/interests (and get rid of all the stuff associated with those activities). At some point most of us get downsized to about a room and a half. Want to delay that as long as possible.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Jeeez as an unmarried person w/o kids, I’m starting to feel self conscious in my 4/3 2300 sqft place :shock: . Honestly I don’t know what I’d do without a dedicated room for my ironing board, office and guest room, where will the kids go? :D

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:25 pm

mrspock wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:17 pm
Jeeez as an unmarried person w/o kids, I’m starting to feel self conscious in my 4/3 2300 sqft place :shock: . Honestly I don’t know what I’d do without a dedicated room for my ironing board, office and guest room, where will the kids go? :D
You forgot the gift-wrapping room.
Not kidding.

(Not me/us, ever. But a friend, ages ago...!)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Can you maybe find an air B and B with about the same dimensions that you can rent for a week or two and see how it feels?

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:01 am

On the surface, the sf seems fine to me. Depends on how often the entire family stays over, you have large parties, what you've been used to, how much sf you can afford to heat/cool/pay taxes for, etc. I think the area you'd be buying into is much more important, we've downsized to a home smaller than what you're considering and we're just fine.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:36 pm
Can you maybe find an air B and B with about the same dimensions that you can rent for a week or two and see how it feels?
This is what I was going to suggest.

We are currently four people in a 2100sqft 4/2.5 and it’s just right. We have been looking to a future downsizing to a 2/2....the 1400sqft felt great and the 1200 sqft was the smallest we would go, so with an extra bedroom 1800 doesn’t sound too tight to me.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:42 am

Jackson12 wrote:

Downsizing (or "rightsizing") is less about square footage, and more about finding a home that works for you.

Nobody except you can possibly decide what would feel cramped and what would take too much of your time to keep up with. Only you can determine that.

When we raised our two sons, we lived in a 1650 sq ft home with a big yard. It was great.
Now that we are retired and on our own, we live in a 2450 sq ft home in an HOA and a small yard. It is great.

Find a home that works perfectly for you again. I guarantee that 1700 sq ft could do it, if it's the right home in the right location.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:46 am

Jackson12 wrote:
...We’ve considered homes in the 1700 to 1800 sq foot range, most with 3 bedrooms, which would be ideal.. The last one we saw had 3 small bedrooms and a decent open concept living room and dining room. It had a nice fireplace ( a priority) and the bathrooms were well maintained and neutral ( a clean palette to work with).

...would it feel small, or adequate?
What is your aim in acquiring a smaller home? Write it down, along with a list of priorities (you've told us one: fireplace). Talk about day to day living. Cooking. Together time. Apart time. Guest time. Etc. This whole project will be a swirl unless you are clear on your priorities.

Our personal experience: Kids out of house. 4200 sq foot home. No mortgage. Priorities for new home: Single level, with few stairs leading up to house and garage. Affordable, paying cash. Guest room (grandkids and other frequent visitors, we live in a very nice location and people want to visit). "Office" for each my wife and I (consider how much semi-private space you'll need so you are not on top of each other all the time). A view of something nice (a mountain, water, a golf course). No yard work. Oversized garage for kayaks and a workshop. Found a 4 bed/3 bath house that checked all the boxes at 2700 square feet. Could have gone a bit smaller or larger, but needed to check the boxes.

Start with your list of priorities, your aim.
Retired 2018 | Every day I choose how I spend my energy | One Vanguard TDF except for bunch of individual stocks...still recovering from my Fidelity AUM days years ago | Now sleeping well at night

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:52 am

As you are ready to downsize and move, consider renting an 1,800 square foot home for awhile to see if it suits. Buy when you are ready.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 pm
1. Most people use a house far less for visitors than they thought. Don't let the tail wag the dog. Children may be perfectly happy sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

2. You will enjoy a larger master bedroom with attached bath. A house for two with three small bedrooms makes no sense.

3. Spare bedrooms will likely be used as studies or hobby rooms. It is helpful to be able to close the door on disorder.

4. A well-laid out 1500 square feet will be very comfortable for most couples. Inefficiently designed and used 2000 square feet may be unsatisfactory.
+1. I don't understand why people would plan for visitors. You see it all the time on HGTV. House Hunters....where the couple will say, "But Susie and Johnnie will be coming home from college to visit our new place in this Greek island in the middle of nowhere." (Yeah, no)

We own a full time airbnb property and I would say fully 60 or 70% of our guests are people coming into town to visit family. They actually want to have their own space.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:01 am

As you can see its all relative and everyone has a different idea. The DINK city couple who lives the "experience" lifestyle and eats every meal at a restaurant may consider a 1000sq ft apartment "BIG"... Whereas the suburbanite with lots of kids and expensive hobbies may consider anything under 2500 small and want spaces for craft rooms, outdoor gear, home workshops, theater rooms, garden sheds and so on.

You need to find out what works for you... and also think about whether its going to be your forever home? Do you expect to need one level living at some point? proximity to family, culture, healthcare? etc...

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:35 am

A functional layout is just as important as square footage. Your 1,800 square foot goal seems like the sweet spot for size, particularly if has the open concept space that you are seeking. Some bogleheads take a lot of pride in saying they live in that size house (or smaller) with 4-5 people but that seems too small to me, but seems ideal for 2 people plus guests. (Just my opinion...)

Downsizing from 3K to 1.8K seems realistic, although so much about real estate is location specific. I never have/likely never will live in something smaller than 3 bedrooms because I want a home office, master, guest/workout/storage room. All of these bedrooms are used, so I recommend you consider how you will use the 3 bedroooms, etc. so that you don't downsize too much. Make sure you have adequate storage.

It WILL be an adjustment to downsize, so focus on the positives (less to clean!) rather than on what you are giving up. Plus consider it a great opportunity to purge. Good luck!

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 am

1800 sqft sounds good for your plans. i definitely recommend a one level ranch style home. So many people have to move from 2 story homes as they age because they have difficulty with stairs. The layout is as important as the size. I like the idea of a large master BR and 2 smaller BRs for guests and an open living area like you described. Take your time looking and you will quickly learn what you want.

Arabesque

Post by Arabesque » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:47 am

I think there are more factors than footage. For example I’m moving from a 1700 sq foot, suburban 3 BR with a big yard in a LCOL area to a 600 sq condo in a HCOL city. Every body in my family is planning to visit and/or live in my well located condo, even my kids. I’m thrilled with the new location even as I give car fulls of things to relatives and friends

This wasn’t a plan. I just had 2 pieces of property left at 68 and decided to go with a return to my urban self. One more remake!
Last edited by Arabesque on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am

student wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 pm
What is the main reason for downsizing? Financial or too much upkeep, or both.
+1 Unless it is for financial or too much upkeep, why bother downsizing? Many of my peers live in houses with plenty of unused rooms from when the kids moved out but still keep the same house because they can afford to financially. Generally what seems to dictate a move is more too many stairs and going to a place that has fewer of them, not necessarily smaller though.

ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:58 am

Good Morning.

I am curious as to why you designate a fireplace as priority. I will appreciate your thoughts.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 am

I have a 1400 ft2 for myself and am not using 2 of the 3 bedrooms nor the finished basement rec room. It depends on your life style. I don't accumulate stuff. I buy clothes when it wears out in the wash and only enough for about 2 weeks of rotation. If I am not using it it goes into storage in the crawlspace or I get rid of it. It is amazing how many people buy conditioned housing space for useless inanimate objects. At the very least pay $40 a month for a storage locker rather than too much house. As for guests if they are coming once or twice a year a hotel room is cheaper than owning a bigger place and not using it.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 am

renue74 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 am
adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 pm

+1. I don't understand why people would plan for visitors. You see it all the time on HGTV. House Hunters....where the couple will say, "But Susie and Johnnie will be coming home from college to visit our new place in this Greek island in the middle of nowhere." (Yeah, no)

We own a full time airbnb property and I would say fully 60 or 70% of our guests are people coming into town to visit family. They actually want to have their own space.
I suppose it depends on how many house guests you have. We are selling the small home we've lived in for 25 years. We were born and raised here, and since we're the last remaining family in this location, we have frequent house guests of siblings and their families (every month of the year). 1375 sq ft 3x2 seems more like 900, even though the floor plan is good, which is one of the reasons we are moving to a different State and upsizing, doubling the size of what we have now at a minimum.

Since we live in a HCOL area, relatives don't visit if they have to rent. Since we will be buying a lake house with a dock and all of the toys, and since none of our relatives own a home with such diversions, we expect to have house guests at the new home too. The difference is being able to spread out, rather than being right on top of each other. We have specific requirements that include separation of the master from the additional rooms, oh, and my own half bath in the back 40 somewhere. :wink:

In that regard, we have the opposite concerns than the OP, in that we've always wanted a bigger house. I guess you'd call us bizzaro retirees. To each his/her own.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:49 am

ADAMNOGGI wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:58 am
Good Morning.

I am curious as to why you designate a fireplace as priority. I will appreciate your thoughts.
It’s a priority but not an “absolute need”, true, but fireplaces are common where we live and we’ve always had one and enjoyed relaxing, reading, playing board games, and hanging out with friends and family while sitting near a nice fire.

Some people insist double sinks are a priority in their master bedroom. My spouse and I don’t care a bit about that and our schedules don’t require that we share a sink at the same time.

But a fireplace? Fits our lifestyle. It gets cold and snowy here in the winter and sometimes we’re actually stuck inside.It would certainly be a pleasant and familiar feature and easy enough to find a home with a fireplace....and we’d prefer one .

ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 am

Thank you. There was no criticism intended in my question. When I remodeled I had mine removed and wondered what your thinking is.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 am

lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am
student wrote:
+1 Unless it is for financial or too much upkeep, why bother downsizing? Many of my peers live in houses with plenty of unused rooms from when the kids moved out but still keep the same house because they can afford to financially. Generally what seems to dictate a move is more too many stairs and going to a place that has fewer of them, not necessarily smaller though.
We keep running the numbers on keeping the house. We love our home but there is lots of upkeep. We’ve been able to afford it. We may always be able to afford it. But do we want to spend that much money on that much house?

Also, we’re getting older and this is a multi- level home and there’s no room to put in a stair lift. My spouse also has a congenital breathing issue that has been mild and controllable but will worsen with age.

So those stairs are likely to be a problem. We’ll need a 1 level home at some point, not sure how soon. And then we’ll be facing the “ how much space do we need “ question.so we bought we’d better start to explore it and get feedback .

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:49 am
Some people insist double sinks are a priority in their master bedroom. My spouse and I don’t care a bit about that and our schedules don’t require that we share a sink at the same time.
A sink in a bedroom? That's weird.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:19 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 am
lthenderson wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am
student wrote:
We keep running the numbers on keeping the house. We love our home but there is lots of upkeep. We’ve been able to afford it. We may always be able to afford it. But do we want to spend that much money on that much house?

Also, we’re getting older and this is a multi- level home and there’s no room to put in a stair lift. My spouse also has a congenital breathing issue that has been mild and controllable but will worsen with age.

So those stairs are likely to be a problem. We’ll need a 1 level home at some point, not sure how soon. And then we’ll be facing the “ how much space do we need “ question.so we bought we’d better start to explore it and get feedback .
This is the way to approach the current decision, by looking down the road to how your needs are likely to change.

Given what you said about one level living, why not make that a priority now? There is no downside to it, and in fact is likely a plus.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am
Jackson12 wrote:
Master suite bathroom :happy

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 am

Prior to my divorce I lived in a 3100 square foot house with my now ex and son. I now by choice rent a 1800 square foot house that I live in with my son who is around 50% of the time. This place is still huge to me. Once my son graduates high school I intend a further downsizing. I don't miss the 3100 square foot house and one acre yard at all.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:
In our development, one of the models has the master bath sink separated by a door from room containing the master shower and toilet. The idea is that both occupants can use the facilities at once. But there is no door separating the sink from the bedroom itself— not ideal if you want to brush your teeth after your spouse has gone to bed, for example.

I’ve seen hotel rooms set up the same way.

Not well thought out...

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 am
I have a 1400 ft2 for myself and am not using 2 of the 3 bedrooms nor the finished basement rec room. It depends on your life style. I don't accumulate stuff. I buy clothes when it wears out in the wash and only enough for about 2 weeks of rotation. If I am not using it it goes into storage in the crawlspace or I get rid of it. It is amazing how many people buy conditioned housing space for useless inanimate objects. At the very least pay $40 a month for a storage locker rather than too much house. As for guests if they are coming once or twice a year a hotel room is cheaper than owning a bigger place and not using it.
So why don't you move into a 600 sq ft place? Why are you paying for all that space you don't need? The hotel sounds great but it is a much different experience when your guests have to drive (or be driven) somewhere versus just walking down the hall. You pick what you prefer and obviously costs matter (i.e. paying 2k/year versus 20k/year).

In the end people tend to go to large because 100 sq ft too small is very annoying while 400 sq ft too big is ignorable. And space is very personal. I tend to hate how much space is wasted in master bed rooms. I don't need 250 sq ft for a queen bed and some dressers. Other people love it cause you can put in a chair, tv and other stuff and make another space. You need to know who you are. If in your current house you can say there are 2 bedrooms and baths that I only go into clean, it is easy to get rid of that space. Things like making kitchens smaller (i.e. maybe you go from an eat in one to using that dining room for all eating) are tougher.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:40 am

delamer wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Jackson12 wrote:
In our development, one of the models has the master bath sink separated by a door from room containing the master shower and toilet. The idea is that both occupants can use the facilities at once. But there is no door separating the sink from the bedroom itself— not ideal if you want to brush your teeth after your spouse has gone to bed, for example.

I’ve seen hotel rooms set up the same way.

Not well thought out...
My bathroom is setup similar to hotel setup, but it’s door and wall separating the bedroom. Separating the sink from toilet and tub was very useful with kids visiting.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:44 am

OP, Thin out your furniture and other “stuff”. Then move to smaller home. It will be fine. 1800sqft is NOT small.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:59 pm

According to Google, the average new single family home size in the U.S. = 2,600 square feet. So I would suggest that 1,800 is small. Also, it is 1,200 feet smaller than OP's current house, so it will feel small. Too small? Only the OP can determine that...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:59 pm
According to Google, the average new single family home size in the U.S. = 2,600 square feet. So I would suggest that 1,800 is small. Also, it is 1,200 feet smaller than OP's current house, so it will feel small. Too small? Only the OP can determine that...
Right: "Only the OP can determine that..."

OP would be well advised to consider some of the specifics, such as "what you need the bedrooms for" or "how much private space you each need", etc.

But OP should IGNORE *ALL* of the "We only have A,BCD sq ft, and that should be good enough for you, too."
It's just not helpful. Full Stop.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Jackson12 wrote:

We downsized to small home in the mountains 7 years ago.
1400 sq ft.
With the passage of time,
I could see living in smaller quarters.
Less to manage
Sidenote-We do not accumulate "stuff"
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am
So why don't you move into a 600 sq ft place? Why are you paying for all that space you don't need? The hotel sounds great but it is a much different experience when your guests have to drive (or be driven) somewhere versus just walking down the hall. You pick what you prefer and obviously costs matter (i.e. paying 2k/year versus 20k/year).
I was limited by the housing stocks. If you buying an existing house you have to choose between what is available and even if you build your own house, it can't be too customized/unique or you will never be able to sell it. That was the smallest size house that had a reasonable sized bedroom, was in decent shape and had a good layout.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 am
. I don't need 250 sq ft for a queen bed and some dressers. Other people love it cause you can put in a chair, tv and other stuff and make another
Oh I absolutely want space in my master bedroom for a desk and computer with big screen monitor so I can lie in bed and watch stuff streaming before bed or when I am not feeling well. That was one thing that drove me crazy was the amount of houses with 9'x9' bedrooms.

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:57 am

Everyone has a different preference and different situations (family size, etc). That being said, I started out in a 2000sqft condo - which I was concerned would be too small - with just me. After adding a wife, and living there, we later realized just how much time we were spending on upkeep/cleaning/etc and how easy it was to just fill it up with crap. It was way too big, so we're downsizing to 1100sqft. We hope to realize benefits from having less space in terms of - 1) having more quality free time not spent on maintenance/cleaning/upkeep and 2) helping maintain a more minimal lifestyle.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Stuff tends to expand to fill up the space that you occupy. I think it would be hard to downsize too much. People who live in far smaller spaces can entertain their friends and grandkids just fine.

My personal preference is small but luxurious, and with high ceilings. I have very anal OCD cleaning standards and I hate having to clean big spaces. Choose something that is easy for you to maintain, especially as you get older. And take the opportunity to declutter.

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I read all of the discussions about downsizing and the best state to live in. They all make me think and wonder.
Growing up, my parents moved to a bigger and nicer place every few years. I really liked the first places that we lived because of the great neighbors. From the day we moved in, neighbors and their children were in our house, and we were in theirs. After moving to the bigger and nicer places, that no longer happened. It was like living on an island.
We've lived in the same house for 44 years. The neighbors are great; I hope to stay here as long as the magic keeps working.