Moderately Priced Hotel by Great Lakes within 3 Hours Drive of Detroit?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Moderately Priced Hotel by Great Lakes within 3 Hours Drive of Detroit?

Post by Kennedy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 pm

I'm looking for a resort or hotel in the Great Lakes area within perhaps a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive from Detroit. Maybe can spend up to $250/night near the mid or end of August. A nice (or at least decent) pool is a must. Any suggestions?

Ace1

Re: Moderately Priced Hotel by Great Lakes within 3 Hours Drive of Detroit?

Post by Ace1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Kennedy,
Check out Sawmill Creek in Sandusky.
Plus there is a Kalahari in the area as well.
Ace

Post by 123 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:59 pm

Google maps says Niagara Falls is a 4 hour drive away. Quite a few options there.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

tetris55

Post by tetris55 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:02 am

Check out Traverse City, the Grand Traverse is great as is the entire city and region. 4 hours from Detroit.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:54 am

Grand Haven, Mi is a nice area. The Holiday Inn Grand Haven-Spring Lake may fit the bill.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 am

123 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:59 pm
Google maps says Niagara Falls is a 4 hour drive away. Quite a few options there.
The best thing that can be said about Niagara Falls, ONT is that it is not Niagara Falls NY.

The Falls themselves are great. Neither town is at all attractive, particularly not from a cheaper hotel. Stop, see the falls, get out.

Niagara on the Lake ONT is beautiful, but expensive.

I have no reason to think that this is of direct concern to the OP, however to state the obvious. One should always be aware of different legal rules. Canada strongly restricts personal firearms. The US [edit - DHS agents] are not in any way tolerant of legalized MJ.

I believe one will need an American passport or proof of other legal status to secure reentry into the USA. Not sure what Canada requires for entry, now.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 am

Kennedy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:12 pm
I'm looking for a resort or hotel in the Great Lakes area within perhaps a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive from Detroit. Maybe can spend up to $250/night near the mid or end of August. A nice (or at least decent) pool is a must. Any suggestions?
Mid or late August is peak tourist season.

However the advice to go upstate in MI Is good, subject to accommodation. There may be Air BnB type options, or renting a cottage for a week? These could prove to be significantly cheaper, and better accommodation, than a lower priced hotel in peak season.

Upstate MI is lovely.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:15 am

Sandusky was mentioned above, I will vote for staying at the Breakers at Cedar Point. you have a nice beach, walking distance to the amusement park too. We did that a couple of times for a few days with my kids as the boys and I are roller coaster hounds. My wife spent her time on the beach and was very happy. It has been about 8 years, so I can't say that $250/night will still work, but we were under that in July and August on previous trips. Of course Cedar Point will cost you more.

If you want more quiet sedate, my cousin lives in Huron (20 minutes east of Sandusky) and there are some small beach rental places there. I really like that town. It is sort of like a half bedroom suburb, half beach town vibe. Also access to fishing (including charters, etc.)

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 am

Anything in Cleveland; check out Put in Bay too.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 am
However the advice to go upstate in MI Is good, subject to accommodation. There may be Air BnB type options, or renting a cottage for a week? These could prove to be significantly cheaper, and better accommodation, than a lower priced hotel in peak season.

Upstate MI is lovely.
+1
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 am

Kennedy wrote:
Pretty much any west michigan tourist town from St. Joe in the south end up to Traverse City on the north end.

St Joe, South Haven, Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Holland, (all 3 hours or less) Pentwater, Manistee, Ludington, Traverse City (3.5 to 4 hrs)

Peak tourist season when you are looking to go, but if you act fast you can probably find something. Lots to do, lots to see on the west coast of Michigan

I'm biased but those are much more scenic and pleasant areas that most anything along Lake Erie in Ohio. The water in Lake Michigan is blue, rather than green with a chance of toxic algae blooms on Erie. Depends on what you're looking for though so YMMV

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 am

David Jay wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 am
Valuethinker wrote:

Upstate MI is lovely.
+1
I am from Ontario but would call Upstate MI as a bit of an undiscovered gem - outside the region, anyways. Unfortunately it probably won't feel that way in late August ;-).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 am

MI_bogle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:55 am
Kennedy wrote:
Pretty much any west michigan tourist town from St. Joe in the south end up to Traverse City on the north end.

St Joe, South Haven, Saugatuck, Grand Haven, Holland, (all 3 hours or less) Pentwater, Manistee, Ludington, Traverse City (3.5 to 4 hrs)

Peak tourist season when you are looking to go, but if you act fast you can probably find something. Lots to do, lots to see on the west coast of Michigan

I'm biased but those are much more scenic and pleasant areas that most anything along Lake Erie in Ohio. The water in Lake Michigan is blue, rather than green with a chance of toxic algae blooms on Erie. Depends on what you're looking for though so YMMV
The Algae problem in Lake Erie is quite real - it's really just too small a body of water for the load the surrounding drainage basin puts on it - agricultural waste etc. Lake Huron or Michigan are much better bets.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am

Yes, Tawas City would be a good spot on Lake Huron. The best resorts there fit your price range, but no pool. Have to swim in the lake.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:42 pm

The Doubletree by Hilton is on the St. Clair river in Port Huron. Beautiful place! I don't know what price you can get for your dates but it looks very moderately priced this time of year. Lake Huron is very near the hotel as that is where the St. Clair river goes.

Website says they have indoor and outdoor pools.
Last edited by Vanguard Fan 1367 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 pm

David Jay wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 am
Valuethinker wrote:

Upstate MI is lovely.
+1
+2

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Is OP looking for best beaches, outdoor activities, historical? Here is my general advice:

Mackinac area- Outside your drive time, but good for local history and general tourism
Traverse area- Has Sleeping Bear and a bunch of wineries, shuts down insanely early at night.
West MI- great beaches, tons of nationally prominent breweries, bike trails, decent amount of events in GR, etc.
Lake Huron- Admittedly, I don't know as much as the west side but the reviews of the beaches aren't as good and there are fewer populated areas.
Lake Erie- As covered by others, its gross, just gross.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:25 pm

detroitbabu wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am
Mackinac Island.
https://www.mackinacisland.org/

Grand Hotel
https://www.mackinacisland.org/lodging/grand-hotel/
Mackinac Island is 4 1/2 hours drive, plus ferry time. The Grand Hotel is probably $900 a night, though that includes food. It is really cool, though.

Traverse City is almost four hours but lots of lodging options. Farther south, Saugatuck, St. Joseph, Grand Haven, Holland should all be < 3 hours.