New refrigerator noise is driving us nuts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dazed

New refrigerator noise is driving us nuts

Post by Dazed » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Recently purchased a Whirlpool counter-depth side by side refrigerator at Home Depot. Unfortunately, after the installer left, I realized it is an unacceptably loud unit. Noisy compressor seems to run almost constantly. Open concept kitchen, sound permeates to living area. We're miserable.
Would like to return it as defective, but Whirlpool tells me there is most likely nothing wrong with it and that the newer, environmentally friendly compressors are just noisier. ("It's all in the manual") They are sending someone out to look at it but, from I have read online, the outcome will most likely be that it is deemed "normal", they won't take it back, and I am stuck with a product I can't live with..
Am already working to accept my probable impending defeat on this issue (though I will try to fight to the death- haha.)

So.. Anyone to commiserate with or confirm as true that Whirlpool refrigerators are ridiculously noisy?
And if a relatively quiet unit is now the most important feature to me, suggestions? I hear LG and Samsung may fit the bill?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

bob60014

Re: New refrigerator noise is driving us nuts

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Return it to H.D. and search for a refrigerator that suits you. Our LG is fine, though has a different sound from a GE or Kenmore, but certainly not objectionable.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:07 pm

1 Perhaps continue to press on the noise issue. Insist on an exchange for equal unit or better vs refund citing the original is defective.

2. Contest the issue on your credit card sale as purchase of a defective product.

3. Contact the vendor as well as the manufacturer to press the issue.

4. Keep moving up the chain of command of each organization until you are "listened and responded to".
Keep calling and talking, go back to Home Depot, until you find the right person that has the power to help you.

5. Document all contacts and responses.

6. Don't give up.

7. Do not take "No", "Maybe", "Later", "Wait", "Give it Time", etc, for an answer.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 pm

There have been recent similar threads on this topic. Apparently it is a the new normal?

Post by 123 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 pm

We have a similar eight year old counter-dept side-by-side Kenmore Elite (made by Whirlpool). The only difference is the nameplate (owner's manual is an exact page-for-page copy of the Whirlpool manual). When we got it it seemed to run more than our prior refrigerators but it's not particularly noticeable. The most noticeable noise it makes is the sound of ice cubes dropping into the storage bin. We bought it after a kitchen remodel, we had considered an "open" design for the kitchen but instead decided on keeping the traditional closed kitchen. We have one of those "quiet" Kitchenaid dishwashers and it i produces more noise than our refrigerator.

FWIW we are very happy with our Kenmore/Whirlpool. No repairs and no issues with it at all. The only annoying thing is when you change the water filter cartridge it takes a long time to "burp" the air bubbles out of the system so that the water dispenser shuts off immediately without a continuing dribble.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Is it the compressor making the noise or could there be a loose panel vibrating?

Topic Author
Dazed

Post by Dazed » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:18 pm
There have been recent similar threads on this topic. Apparently it is a the new normal?
Unfortunately was not able to find the threads. Help in finding them?

Bogle7

Re: Whirlpool refrigerator noise is driving us nuts

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Our counter-depth Whirlpool frigo made “too much noise”.
We replaced with it with an almost silent Sub-Zero.
Of course it meant remodeling 1/2 the kitchen for $51K. But, hey, LBYM (Live Beyond Your Means).
We do have a modern, open concept house and love it.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stan1

Re: Whirlpool refrigerator noise is driving us nuts

Post by stan1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:07 pm
Our counter-depth Whirlpool frigo made “too much noise”.
We replaced with it with an almost silent Sub-Zero.
Of course it meant remodeling 1/2 the kitchen for $51K. But, hey, LBYM (Live Beyond Your Means).
We do have a modern, open concept house and love it.
I figured Boglehead LBYM answer would be over the ear headphones not a kitchen remodel!

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Here is one of the previous threads similar to your issue:

viewtopic.php?t=251858

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 pm
Here is one of the previous threads similar to your issue:

viewtopic.php?t=251858
That was the thread I was recalling. There were also a few comments in this older thread:

viewtopic.php?t=176860

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:44 pm

+1 on SubZero. Very quiet. Replaced a 14 year old noisy GE Profile refrigerator.

AtlBoglehead

Post by AtlBoglehead » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 pm

We refurbished with an LG fridge and range. Both are junk. Wife and I are now avoiding LG products.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Is there a shipping bolt securing the compressor that was supposed to have been removed when the refrigerator was set in place but wasn't? (Compressor may be suspended on springs,shipping bolt prevents damage to springs from compressor bouncing around when unit is moved or turned on its side
leveling legs properly adjusted after unit placed in its location?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Recent model fridges are awful.

I can commiserate with OP. My new French door Samsung is noticeably louder than my 20 year old Maytag was.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:22 pm

I have a counter depth KitchenAid (same brand as Whirlpool), 3-4 years old, and it has never been noisy. My kitchen is right in the middle of the house and I'd know if it was noisy at all.

Something's not right with yours. Replacing it with a new fridge is a gamble. Maybe try appliance repair first?

I had the water line replaced a year ago when the water filter replacement, which was always difficult, last year was impossible. The appliance guy took out the old line, replaced with new, and suddenly the filter was easier to remove and replace than ever. So the original manufacture was messed up somehow.
16% cash 48% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:16 am

AtlBoglehead wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 pm
We refurbished with an LG fridge and range. Both are junk. Wife and I are now avoiding LG products.
Agreed. Bought a house 4.5 years ago with an LG fridge, LG double oven, LG dishwasher, and LG microwave. Microwave and dishwasher already died and were replaced by Bosch and Samsung, respectively. Double oven had multiple issues early on but after several costly repairs finely seems to be OK. Fridge is holding on, so far, but ice maker has been acting wonky.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:27 am

dB ratings are worth looking at when buying appliances.
Perhaps review what they say it should be, then get a meter to test yours.
4nursebee

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:24 am

Have you measured the sound level? Most items sold have specifications published.

Addendum: Nursebee, just noticed you basically said the same thing.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 am

Our new SubZero is louder than our decades old SubZero, but not to the point of being objectionable. They are pricey, but are well built.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:36 am

AtlBoglehead wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 pm
I would voice the same for Bosch Frig and Mirco. Both have had numerous failures in first 3 years of ownership. Luckily, I purchased and extend warranty for Frig, so $2.5K in repairs were covered (Not something I normally do, but it paid off :happy ). Now five years later, the vent hood motor failed and the dishwasher fascia (services as a handle to open) broke. Luckily, I am pretty handy, so I was able to fix both for $<400 total in parts. You think you are being sold high end appliances, but not sure that term exists anymore. :oops: Interesting note: I have both LG Washer & Dryer and both have been working flawlessly for +5 years. I guess it's luck of the draw......
Last edited by AllMostThere on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:02 am

Our Samsung French door makes noise, but not unacceptably so.

I'd return it or sell it. Life is too short to deal with noise (I hate noise).

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am

After a while you probably won't even notice it.
Slow and steady wins the race.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:53 am

I'll say that our 10 month old LG has nearly zero noise. I'm hoping it lasts because its an awesome fridge.

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 am

is it the compressor itself or some kind of vibration/rattle caused by it? When we got our lower-end Whirlpool fridge, the vibration caused a very loud rattle down by the floor of the fridge. I simply stuffed some strategically-placed styrofoam in there and it's been quiet for the past 2.5 years.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:43 am

Luckily home depot will take back anything. I love our Samsung appliances. They were cheap too. I never hear our fridge. It is 1 year old.

danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 am

We bought a KitchenAid refrigerator a few years ago, which is a Whirlpool brand. Worst appliance I've ever owned. Made an intermittent sound like a rusty chain saw running its teeth over a metal pipe. Then it broke (compressor failed) and made the same noise after the repair.

Bottom line: purchase Whirlpool appliances at your own peril.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.

Post by 123 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Abe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am
+1 Kinda like a noisey spouse, after awhile you just learn to tune the noise out :happy
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:12 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 pm
Nate79 wrote:

I can commiserate with OP. My new French door Samsung is noticeably louder than my 20 year old Maytag was.
My 4 door Samsung is extremely quiet.

The plural of anecdotes is data. :mrgreen:

The noisiest appliance in my kitchen/living room is the wine cooler. But after a couple of bottles you forget about it.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:12 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:07 pm
Nate79 wrote:

My 4 door Samsung is extremely quiet.

The plural of anecdotes is data. :mrgreen:

The noisiest appliance in my kitchen/living room is the wine cooler. But after a couple of bottles you forget about it.
Our new Samsung 4 door/drawer counter-depth refrigerator is extremely quiet, as is our Samsung dishwasher. Our old refrigerator is doing garage duty and was way noisier. We had replaced the compressor motor with a much cheaper after market item, and we knew going in that the replacement would be much louder. Our repair guy warned us it was good, but noisy. He was truthful. After a while we just didn't notice the noise.

I have found our wine cooler works best when there are few bottles in it. So I do my best to keep the bottle count low. Responsible folks go that extra mile! :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Dazed wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm
Recently purchased a Whirlpool counter-depth side by side refrigerator at Home Depot. Unfortunately, after the installer left, I realized it is an unacceptably loud unit. Noisy compressor seems to run almost constantly. Open concept kitchen, sound permeates to living area. We're miserable.
Would like to return it as defective, but Whirlpool tells me there is most likely nothing wrong with it and that the newer, environmentally friendly compressors are just noisier. ("It's all in the manual") They are sending someone out to look at it but, from I have read online, the outcome will most likely be that it is deemed "normal", they won't take it back, and I am stuck with a product I can't live with..
Am already working to accept my probable impending defeat on this issue (though I will try to fight to the death- haha.)

So.. Anyone to commiserate with or confirm as true that Whirlpool refrigerators are ridiculously noisy?
And if a relatively quiet unit is now the most important feature to me, suggestions? I hear LG and Samsung may fit the bill?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
I have a Whirlpool (I think maybe 4 years old). If yours truly is "loud" (completely subjective but I assume you mean far noisier than your old one) than I think there is something wrong with your unit. For comparison, my fridge runs maybe a few minutes per hour and I can't even hear it at all more than 15 feet away. My old fridge (also Whirlpool) from 20+ years ago, could barely be heard at the couch (maybe 25 ft away). The ice maker is actually much louder than the compressor (when it fills). Make sure the compressor is not vibrating into something and that all the dampeners/fasteners are still in place. My HVAC is maybe 10 times more noticeable than my fridge sound wise.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Abe wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am
I noticed the noise from my GE refrigerator when it was new, and a thump my Maytag washer makes when it stops. They drove me crazy at first, but now I don't notice the noise. I will pay more attention to that when I replace them, however.

Topic Author
Dazed

Post by Dazed » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:27 am
dB ratings are worth looking at when buying appliances.
Perhaps review what they say it should be, then get a meter to test yours.
Interestingly enough, even in my overzealous research, I could not find dB ratings for refrigerators.
Quite odd, me thinks.