Do you drive old cars for long distance travels?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

Do you drive old cars for long distance travels?

Post by flyingaway » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am

If your car is at least 10 years old and with 100k miles, do you still use it for long distance travels (more than 5 hours of driving)?

jacksonm

Re: Do you drive old cars for long distance travels?

Post by jacksonm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am

Just returned from a trip to New Orleans and back (from Tampa) in my 2006 Dodge Caravan with about 130k miles on it. Was a good test for the cracked engine block I fixed with some liquid stuff at the auto parts store. No problems at all.

Also, I have driven all the way to Alaska and back with the check engine light on.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:44 am

I do.

I keep a good track of what's going to be needed and how important it is to fix. If it's something that really should be fixed before a long trip, I'll do it.

For example, the sway bar end links on my car are worn out. They clunk over bumps. Not something that's really anything more than annoying. I do have some on order but I wouldn't be out till midnight installing them before driving a long distance.

If my brake pads were down to 1 mm, that's something I would be up till midnight replacing.

If my tires were worn out....I happen to have another set in my shed on wheels. I'd swap them.

For 5 hours, I might throw my OBD scanner and some basic tools in a tool bag in the trunk. Maybe pull out the donut spare and put 2 real tires on wheels back there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:47 am

wife and I debated this have a 19 year old car with 155K miles on it, but it gets 32MPG, wife has 5 year old car with 55K miles on it and is a SUV so more room, but only gets 17MGH, so when we travel the bigger car is nice to have extra room, but then only getting half the gas mileage and that adds up. everytime we have taken the bigger car. We don't really pay for vacations, we drive up to our vacation house on the Cape, or drive down to the jersey shore for the day, so not paying flights or hotels we figure having the bigger car is worth the cost.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:52 am

Not so much anymore with my 21 year old Civic but it isn't due to concerns about it breaking down. The reason I don't do much long drives in it anymore is because it is a stick shift without a cruise control and as I age, I find I like my cruise control especially on long trips over four lane roads. Back when it was younger, say 10+ years old, I drove it on many the long trips and never worried, especially in today's cellphone in every pocket era when I can readily call a tow truck. I've only had one problem occur where I couldn't drive it home and that was when I got a 5 foot long metal spike bounce off the road in front of me and stab my fuel tank. :shock:

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 am

Yep. Heck for most of my driving life I haven't ever owned a car younger than 10 years or with less than 100K on the odometer. One of my vehicles is 20 years old and 196K miles and I'd drive it long distance tomorrow

Just because it's old or has some miles doesn't mean it's mechanically unsound. Cars have come a long way from the days when they were lucky to reach 100K

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:54 am

Yes, 2 of our 3 vehicles is over 10..the other is nearing 10. We travel over the country with them and even to Canada (we live in TX). However, we bring tools and my husband can fix just about any car (currently rebuilding a transmission in one of them), does ABS systems, replaced the core battery in the Prius, etc. and last trip we had to do an emergency brake repair in the campsite so we recognize things can happen. If it was just me (I can't repair cars) or we didn't take tools, the manual, etc., or we had strict timelines, we wouldn't travel like this and would not use older vehicles. We also have AAA for any situation we can't handle...and we do have to call once a year or so (like when the RV got stuck in a mud pit in the middle of the night and it was so deep that even with pushing and boards we couldn't get it out). However, for right now, it works for us. We do try to repair any known repairs or anything that we think might go out prior to a long trip although in TX 5 hours isn't all that far away as you are usually still in the state, LOL!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:59 am

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:38 am
If your car is at least 10 years old and with 100k miles, do you still use it for long distance travels (more than 5 hours of driving)?
Yes - on occasion. In semi-retirement and with our son's grandparents deceased, we do not make as many long car trips as we once did. However, we made one such trip last December and plan one this summer in our 2002 Toyota Camry - with just under 100k miles.

Years ago, we drove our 1985 Dodge Caravan 170,000 miles and 17 years. Many such long trips were when it was over 10 years old and over 100k miles. On such trips, the only time we had any problems was when it was nearly new. Not a big deal - and the problem was easily fixed by a dealer at one of our destinations.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Peace of mind is important. If you feel uncomfortable, I suggest just rent a car/SUV with unlimited mileage for the trip. Life is short.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:36 pm

If you asked me a few years ago, that would be an absolute no way. However, cars are impressively well made these days and do last longer and longer.

Up to about 200k miles, time is worse on a vehicle than mileage on my opinion. I used to drive my Prius up and down CA between San Francisco and San Diego, 9+ hours 3-4 times a year. With that kind of driving, it was over 100k miles before its 4th birthday. I felt just as confident in it completing the trip as I did a rental.

I just got back from a 6.5 hour trip to Atlantic City on Memorial Day and an 8 hour trip to DC last Thanksgiving in my trusty 2009 Ford Escape. I recall thinking how comfortable it felt for a 10 year old vehicle. I had a 10 year old hooptie when I was in high school and I would never have trusted it go more than 2 hours away. So either my Escape is indeed a hooptie and I have my old man glasses on or cars are just more reliable these days.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Depends entirely upon the car: comfort and history of reliability/maintenance.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm

I don't, but my millennial son does because it is the only car he has.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Current vehicles don't meet your criteria, but we regularly drove our '98 Camry on lengthy trips when it was over 10 years and 200k miles. Like others here I did almost all of the maintenance on that car and carried tools.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't have to, so I don't.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:19 pm

I drive my 2008 silverado with 213k miles on it 5hrs round trip pretty regularly on the weekends.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:22 pm

jacksonm wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:42 am
Just returned from a trip to New Orleans and back (from Tampa) in my 2006 Dodge Caravan with about 130k miles on it. Was a good test for the cracked engine block I fixed with some liquid stuff at the auto parts store. No problems at all.

Also, I have driven all the way to Alaska and back with the check engine light on.
See I think there is a big difference between driving a car with high mileage but no know issues and one where you are using glue to hold the engine block together.:) The odds of a car breaking in 20 (or 40 or 100) hours of driving is low enough that I can live with it. If those are odds are high, time for a new car. Now some of it also depends on where your driving. Going up and down the east coast where you are never more than 15 mins from a service station? Much less risk that if you are driving some western state where you are 100 miles away and your cell service is sketchy.

Personally 10 year/100k cars are still sweet spot of ownership for me where the cars are reliable. Bump it to 15/150k (and you can argue more like 200k) and then I might start feeling sketch about long distance drives.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes. We have driven our 1999 SUV with 130K miles on it for the last 3 years to the coast. 800 miles round trip (about 6-hours each way with stops).

Heading out again in 3-weeks with the same vehicle.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:39 pm

In 2007 I was about to do my second round-the-country drive and my car was about 10 years old. (Same car I'd driven on the first trip 7 years earlier.) My dad wanted me to get a new car but I decided against it. Had my mechanic do a health check and followed up on maintenance recommendations.* Then I hit the road and enjoyed the next 2 months driving northly route from Oregon to Florida and southerly route back again. No problems. Of course, my cars are never high-mileage. When I finally sold it at about 15 years old, it had maybe 120k miles on it -- even after those two long drives. My current car is approaching its 9th birthday and I expect to hit 50k miles this month. Only a few long drives on this one.

With regular maintenance and a pre-trip checkup, you can make an informed decision about the advisability of hitting the road in an older car.

* One thing I did not bother to get fixed was the failing trunk hinge. Had a broom stick in the trunk to prop the lid open so it did not fall on me as I loaded and unloaded at each overnight stop.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:54 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Over the last 40 years I have had the following happen while driving higher mileage cars when I was on road trips when I was younger, but I tend to take longer road trips than most people.

1) Clutch fails on a Friday afternoon the first weekend of elk hunting season in a small town. No way to get it fixed until Monday since all the mechanics are out hunting.

2) Fuel pump gives out the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving on my way to Yosemite. I was meeting people there and was able to have someone pick me up on Thanksgiving.

3) Water pump fails at Crater Lake. I was able to keep adding water to get into a town.

A common theme of these was that they happened when I was driving in mountains which I normally don't drive in.

The problems would have happened sooner or later but the harder mountain driving caused them to show up when I was on a road trip.

Where you are driving probably matters as much as how far you are driving.

I've also had minor things like a couple of flat tires, headlights burning out, and windshield wipers falling off when I have been out of town but I have been able to fix those myself.

Another surprising theme is that when I had to use some random mechanic in a small town they never really gouged me. I may have been lucky but I suspect that a lot of it is that you won't last long as a mechanic in a small town if you are the type of person that gouges people.

Anyway, once I became more financially secure I started replacing my cars when they got to be about 10 years old or have 120K miles. Cars are so much more reliable now that I rarely have non-routine maintenance. A ten year old Honda or Toyota that is is good shape will still sell for a surprising amount so that makes replacing them with a new car more affordable especially when you drive lower end cars like a Corolla or Civic. That is not the cheapest way to own a car but when you can drive a moderately priced car for ten years and pay for little if any non-routine maintenance then sell it for a good price it is not terribly expensive.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Before any such trip, we get a quick checkup from our local auto repair/maintenance place.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Of course we do. What's the problem if the car runs right? Then again maybe the BH philosophy does not intersect very well with the oft stated fears here of safety of older vehicles.
A true BH would have AAA or Good Sam towing insurance with unlimited towing. If you car doesn't make that 500 miles, you get it towed, access the repairs, maybe take your stuff out of the car and fly, or rent a car and go home.
Once I drove from NY (1970) to Colorado in a 1954 Dodge. It died on the road in Kansas. I took the license plates, put out my thumb and made it to my destination. Could be the same now, except I do have the Good Sam tow insurance.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Yep. We have a 2001 Dodge Stratus with 185,000 miles and a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 205,000 miles. We drive the Corolla on a 10-hour (one-way) trip at least once a year. I would have no qualms about driving the Stratus that far, either, but its backseat seatbelts aren't great so I don't like to put our kid's carseat back there unless there is literally no other option.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:31 pm

No, because if we go that far, we either fly or drive the motorhome. We take the 15 year old cars for 3-4 hour trips pretty regularly, though. They run fine and have been maintained.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Yes. Just driving back to Maine from Philadelphia in our 2004 Toyota Sienna with ~145k miles. Keep it well maintained and good quality cars should remain reliable for a very long time - 200k miles perhaps. At our current rate that should last us another 5 or 6 years.
De gustibus non est disputandum

flyphotoguy

Post by flyphotoguy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:37 pm

yup Accord with 150K now and will be driving it when we go out of town. Tahoe, Vegas, Sand Diego, driving to LA soon to enjoy the beach. I also drive our Pontiac Vibe (pretty much a toyota matrix) with 195K now for long distance but it's less comfortable than the accord so less use on long drives. Both cars are well maintained so until something shows up we'll continue using them till the wheels fall off. Of course if flying + uber is easier/cheaper and we don't need to bring gears/bikes/etc. we'll fly instead of driving.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:05 pm
If you car doesn't make that 500 miles, you get it towed, access the repairs, maybe take your stuff out of the car and fly, or rent a car and go home.
You need to change your username to Mario Andretti......or Ed Bolian (current record holder of the Cannonball). 500 miles in 5 hours is....well....you do the math for the average mph.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:48 pm

200k miles is the new 100k miles.

My 15 year old Toyota Highlander has 105k miles. I'd drive it anywhere tomorrow and assume the same will be true 5 years from now. The worst thing that happens is it breaks down and we have to rent a car. This is incredibly unlikely to happen but is not a big deal if it does. Cars tend to die slowly so you should know if it is reliable enough to drive.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:06 pm

dbltrbl wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:03 pm
Peace of mind is important. If you feel uncomfortable, I suggest just rent a car/SUV with unlimited mileage for the trip. Life is short.
+1 We sometimes rent for a longer road trip.

We carefully maintain our cars and regardless of what we drive, we take appropriate precautions: check A/C, fluids, brakes, tires, hoses, etc., and we bring an emergency kit.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:13 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm
Depends entirely upon the car: comfort and history of reliability/maintenance.
This I have driven cars up to 18 years old with up to about about 180k miles long distance without reliability issues. If it is a car I have owned for a sometime and I know its history then no worries. I would have no worries doing that with even older or higher mileage cars that I knew this history of.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:14 pm

2010 Volvo XC60 with 173K miles on it. It loves long road trips.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm
Before any such trip, we get a quick checkup from our local auto repair/maintenance place.
Could you elaborate on anything major that has been found that you fixed before long trips?

We do that as well for long trips and most ever was a brake job which we knew was coming up anyways. But fortunately we have not had a breakdown or major findings on before such trips. (we only do one a year though)

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:38 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:05 pm
If you car doesn't make that 500 miles, you get it towed, access the repairs, maybe take your stuff out of the car and fly, or rent a car and go home.
You need to change your username to Mario Andretti......or Ed Bolian (current record holder of the Cannonball). 500 miles in 5 hours is....well....you do the math for the average mph.
Oops. I meant 5 hours. I can do 85 easily out west here, but that seat gets me sore enough to take a break well before 500 miles. And, I need gas.
I reckon back east you could do 5 hours and only get less than 300 miles. If your car cannot even be reliable enough to go a tank of gas without stopping, better think about that.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:41 pm

2009 GMC 1500 4 door PU, over 130K, drives like brand new, we make a 6 hour trip once a week.Take it in next week for the 4th 30K service.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:45 pm

These threads are unique to BH and always hilarious. Do people not maintain their cars? Make sure you're up to date on routine maintenance (ie. oil & filter changes), check the tire pressure, oil level and coolant before you go. That's it!

Waiting a number of people chiming in to say "You should rent a car to avoid wear and tear on your daily driver." :wink:

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:07 pm

New contest...
(Mileage on car * miles driven on trip)/(trip time in hours)

Highest miles and fastest wins.

154,000 on odo

1021 miles

15.5 hours.

What do I win?

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:16 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:45 pm
These threads are unique to BH and always hilarious. Do people not maintain their cars? Make sure you're up to date on routine maintenance (ie. oil & filter changes), check the tire pressure, oil level and coolant before you go. That's it!

Waiting a number of people chiming in to say "You should rent a car to avoid wear and tear on your daily driver." :wink:
A car can be fine to drive 20 miles to work, but not up for the long road-trip - not mechanically, but comfort, road feel, amount of space for luggage, etc.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:22 pm

I plan to drive my 2002 BMW 330 cic to Colorado this summer (From NY). Wish me luck ;)

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Not me. I only use my old car (2002) for local driving, no more than a 30 mile radius from home. If I go on a road trip, I rent a car from the Avis that is located half a mile from my apartment.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:39 pm

7 yrs ago, we drove our 17 year old 170,000 mile heavily loaded Aerostar from SF Bay Area to eastern Montana and back for our daughters wedding. The plan was if it died, we'd buy something wherever we were, even it might not be a keeper. We did build in 2 extra days on travel in getting there.

The only issue was a A/C quit a day out from getting back home.

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:53 pm

flyingaway wrote:
I trust japanese vehicles to about 200k with long distance travel or about 13-15 years. Other brand vehicles I typically go to about 150k or 10 years for my long distance travel and then I relegate to commutes only. After this point I start worrying about the transmission and engine and I don't want to total my car 500 miles from home. I still regularly drive a vehicle with ~240k miles (and another one over 200k) but just around town.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:03 pm

About the longest trips we go on are dashes to the east coast of Florida, 150 miles each way. Still, I am not hesitant to do so, as our van has only 85K to 90K miles on it, still years of service left.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Sure, the 2003 Honda Odyssey crossed over 200K miles somewhere between Austin and Chicago as we helped our daughter haul her stuff that way. The important thing was that the air conditioning worked. Now she could have managed the move without our help, but our moving services hit a good price point for her, and we got to spend quality time with a great young adult.

If not hauling stuff, we take a newer car with better gas mileage. Or a fun car with a stick shift, depending on whether it's an interstate trip or a windy road trip.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 am

flyingaway wrote:
I'm not sure 10 yrs/100,000 miles mark in itself are the "numbers" to make or break a long trip. My daily driver sedan is now 12+ years old with 135,000 miles and typically it's statistically pretty unlikely that the car will up and die on the trip.

However, with that said, no I don't take it for long distance trips. Many of these trips are across very isolated highways with less than ideal cell phone reception. Should I break down and require a tow, it would make for a very long day or night with lots of additional expenses that simply isn't worth it to me at this point in my life. I can conveniently rent a similar or better/safer car often that after factoring the better gas mileage of the rental and mileage depreciation even on the old car that at most effectively costs me $10 day (or sometimes effectively costs nothing). I've broken down in the middle of nowhere before and I personally prefer the piece of mind that a car with typically less than 25,000 miles or sometimes almost brand new provides. Plus I like trying out different new vehicles. I would/could drive my old car if I had to for a long trip if needed, but I apply the same logic to myself as I would my spouse regarding the thought do I feel more comfortable with my spouse driving alone in an old vs. new car on a long trip going in the middle of nowhere, especially in the middle of the night.

The irony is often on these long trips, I'll see a couple of what appear to be relatively newer cars broken down on the side of the road which provides reinforcement to the thought that shit happens to mechanical things especially when they get older.

When I was younger I've taken some pretty stupid risks on long desolate trips with super high mileage cars in less than ideal running condition that fortunately didn't end up bad.

I typically would apply the same logic to airplanes, in that I'd prefer getting on a newer plane vs. a much older plane if I had the choice even though statistically probably doesn't matter. The 737 Max 8 issue being the exception right now.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 am

Whakamole wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:16 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

A car can be fine to drive 20 miles to work, but not up for the long road-trip - not mechanically, but comfort, road feel, amount of space for luggage, etc.
Yeah but this thread isn't about that. That thread would be "Hey, thinking about renting a Suburban for a road trip!"

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:48 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 am
Whakamole wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:16 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

Bogleheads in general, are a fearful and suspicious lot.

Yeah but this thread isn't about that. That thread would be "Hey, thinking about renting a Suburban for a road trip!"

bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:52 am
Not so much anymore with my 21 year old Civic but it isn't due to concerns about it breaking down. The reason I don't do much long drives in it anymore is because it is a stick shift without a cruise control and as I age, I find I like my cruise control especially on long trips over four lane roads. Back when it was younger, say 10+ years old, I drove it on many the long trips and never worried, especially in today's cellphone in every pocket era when I can readily call a tow truck. I've only had one problem occur where I couldn't drive it home and that was when I got a 5 foot long metal spike bounce off the road in front of me and stab my fuel tank. :shock:
Yikes!!

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:03 am

I generally always rent a vehicle when I travel out of town. Generally, the rental rates are very inexpensive in this area and I do not like the inconvenience of being stranded in a remote area should the car break down.

Currently, I am on a 12 day one-way rental with Hertz at $103. I will put 1500 miles on the car, mostly in deserts and mountains. It does not seem to me to be worth it to put all that mileage on my 12 year old car.

Also, I really do NOT want to purchase a new vehicle both with the transaction costs, higher insurance costs, and higher vehicle taxes. Also, the new cars that am renting are getting 38-40 mpg versus the 33 on my old car.

Besides, it is fun to drive a lot of different cars so that when I need to buy a new one, I know what I like.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:06 am

jlawrence01 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:03 am
I generally always rent a vehicle when I travel out of town. Generally, the rental rates are very inexpensive in this area and I do not like the inconvenience of being stranded in a remote area should the car break down.
Currently, I am on a 12 day one-way rental with Hertz at $103. I will put 1500 miles on the car, mostly in deserts and mountains. It does not seem to me to be worth it to put all that mileage on my 12 year old car.
Also, I really do NOT want to purchase a new vehicle both with the transaction costs, higher insurance costs, and higher vehicle taxes. Also, the new cars that am renting are getting 38-40 mpg versus the 33 on my old car.
Besides, it is fun to drive a lot of different cars so that when I need to buy a new one, I know what I like.
We have not rented a car in several years, but we had excellent results a few years ago renting from Enterprise. We usually got a larger car than what we asked for and paid for. The daily rental rate for a basic car was low and we got unlimited miles.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am

phxjcc wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:07 pm
New contest...
(Mileage on car * miles driven on trip)/(trip time in hours)

Highest miles and fastest wins.

154,000 on odo

1021 miles

15.5 hours.

What do I win?
You win the fastest, but we did our bi-annual trip to the in laws 1850 miles one way in a 1988 dodge mini-van that I bought new to us with 98,000 miles. It made at least 4 trips back east and I finally got rid of it at about 180K miles. But I was handicapped on the time because we had 3 kids in tow and at least one of the trips we had 2 in car seats and one in a booster seat. We'd do the trip in 2 days, first 19 hours (leave at 10 pm and drive to our free stop... a friends house) and then finish it up the next day with a 16 hour drive.

But yes to the OP, as long as the car has been maintained and periodically checked over, never had a problem with long road trips on old high mileage cars.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:18 am

bck63 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 am
lthenderson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:52 am
Yikes!!