Havasupai, Have a Sticker Shock

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Naismith

Havasupai, Have a Sticker Shock

Post by Naismith » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 am

I have always dreamed of going to Havasu Falls
https://ordinarytraveler.com/tipsarticl ... ai-arizona

We've heard it is a magical place.

Up to now, we could never take the time on business trips to Arizona, and now we are 64 and 65 years old. My husband has a conference in Arizona next October, and since we will be retired by then, so it seems like the optimal time (and maybe last chance?).

I am not sure that we could hike 10 miles into the campground, but I do feel quite confident that we could hike 8 miles to the Lodge, with a lighter pack due to not needing to carry a tent/sleeping bag. Then another 4-5 miles round trip the next day to see the falls should be fun. The third day we will either hike out early, or take the helicopter (no reservations, so we can decide the night before).

Reservations for the Lodge for all of 2020 opened up on June 1. Through the wonders of Google Voice, I was able to call (from here in Indonesia), and did make reservations for the October dates we wanted.

But. They doubled the price this year, of both the Lodge itself and the hiking permit. So it is now $440 a night for the Lodge, and the hiking permit is up to $110 per person. To be fair, the Lodge room can sleep up to 4, but it is just the two of us.

By comparison, camping this year (who knows for 2020) is $100 a night, $125 on weekends, with a 3-night minimum required. So it is pricey any way. A few years ago, they stopped allowing outside companies to take tours in, so that is not an option.

The reservation at the Lodge is refundable up to two weeks before arrival. I thought I would go ahead and make it, which would give us the option for later. Crazy having to make a reservation more than a year in advance, but that's how they do it, and it gives us a good workout goal in the months ahead.

But we've never paid more than $200 a night for lodging (we are generally Quality Inn kinda people), and it is a very basic accommodation (think 1960s motor lodge). So it is hard to wrap my brain around the cost. However, it is unlikely that they are going to lower the price next year, and who knows how long our bodies will last.

So I am seeking advice from those who have made the trip. Would you still go at that price? Is it really so wonderful? Is my Fear of Missing Out getting the best of me, or will I be glad I did it?

lthenderson

Re: Havasupai, Have a Sticker Shock

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 am

Naismith wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 am

Is it really so wonderful? Is my Fear of Missing Out getting the best of me, or will I be glad I did it?
I can't answer the rest of your questions since I hiked UP from the river to see the falls. But it is a spectacular falls and extremely beautiful. One of the big reasons for that is because it is not easily accessible so it doesn't see as many visitors and thus hasn't been trashed out like other places, or at least it wasn't when I was there almost 20 years ago.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:05 am

Yes, it truly is a special place. I recommend you go if it does not create a financial hardship. I have been half a dozen times. The increased rates deter me from going with the same frequency, and I live further away now. Still, I hope to make it back someday. If it was a one-time opportunity, I would not hesitate to spend the money.

I also recommend you do whatever you can to camp. I know this is a challenge especially with the added weight and the logistics of packing camping gear on an international trip. However, camping means you are close to the falls and next to the creek. The campground runs along the creek between Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls. You can hire a mule to take a pack which will help with the weight.

For my last trip there I made a guide which many of the first timers found helpful. PM me, and I can send it over.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 am

I have not made this trip, but I do know that every time I wanted a lodge reservation in a national park, the price was US$350 and up per night. And that includes very rustic rooms.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:29 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 am
I have not made this trip, but I do know that every time I wanted a lodge reservation in a national park, the price was US$350 and up per night. And that includes very rustic rooms.
Well, having stayed at many lodges at National Parks, I have never paid anywhere near $350. Now if I wanted to stay at the Majestic Lodge in Yosemite, it beats that: https://reservations.ahlsmsworld.com/Yo ... ch/Results
Best Wishes, | Joe

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:36 am

Yes it is a very cool place with lots of natural falls and pools to see and experience. In October the water should be good for swimming. I have been twice back when i was young. We camped and carried our stuff in and out. We went with a group of friends. My wife rode a horse in and out once because she was PG. Back then the permits were about $10.

I am pretty sure the high prices are because the Havasupai tribe is trying to make enough money to covers expenses and help their people. They recently eliminated the big tour guide groups to let lots of individuals still hike the area. So they are trying to be fair. They are very nice people. But they are very isolated and need our help and $$ to survive. I recommend you camp along the creek and hire a horse to carry your stuff both ways. But you still have to pack light and use dehydrated food and use light weight camping gear. The only thing you will be able to get at the bottom is good water and a snack at the store. I do not know what the food situation is at the hotel or what is included for that rent. I suggest you ask lots of questions.

At your age you will be pressed to go the full distance hiking and still have fun. It is a long downhill hike to the village. The first 1-2 miles of the trail are a steep grade with many switchbacks. It is even harder climbing out after you have already hiked so far. You need to carry water and energy bars for consumption along the trail at a minimum. Then it is another hike past the village to the bottom falls. You need to train hiking long distances and be in good physical shape to do it. Make sure you have good broken in hiking boots and good socks. If you have to hire the helicopter to take you out it will be a big deal and crazy expensive.

Also beware of the temperatures and the weather. Early October can be pretty hot if is is clear. But later in October it can get cold and wet if it is trying to rain. The trail head is 5200 feet and then you go down to 2400 feet. And if it rains hard Havasupai can be very dangerous due to flash floods so beware of that issue as well. So things are variable.

Good Luck.

https://trailtopeak.com/2016/11/28/hiki ... pai-trail/

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... DCCNUxfccM:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 779981002/

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Naismith wrote:
https://ordinarytraveler.com/tipsarticl ... ai-arizona

We've heard it is a magical place.

Up to now, we could never take the time on business trips to Arizona, and now we are 64 and 65 years old. My husband has a conference in Arizona next October, and since we will be retired by then, so it seems like the optimal time (and maybe last chance?).

I am not sure that we could hike 10 miles into the campground, but I do feel quite confident that we could hike 8 miles to the Lodge, with a lighter pack due to not needing to carry a tent/sleeping bag. Then another 4-5 miles round trip the next day to see the falls should be fun. The third day we will either hike out early, or take the helicopter (no reservations, so we can decide the night before).

Reservations for the Lodge for all of 2020 opened up on June 1. Through the wonders of Google Voice, I was able to call (from here in Indonesia), and did make reservations for the October dates we wanted.

But. They doubled the price this year, of both the Lodge itself and the hiking permit. So it is now $440 a night for the Lodge, and the hiking permit is up to $110 per person. To be fair, the Lodge room can sleep up to 4, but it is just the two of us.

By comparison, camping this year (who knows for 2020) is $100 a night, $125 on weekends, with a 3-night minimum required. So it is pricey any way. A few years ago, they stopped allowing outside companies to take tours in, so that is not an option.

The reservation at the Lodge is refundable up to two weeks before arrival. I thought I would go ahead and make it, which would give us the option for later. Crazy having to make a reservation more than a year in advance, but that's how they do it, and it gives us a good workout goal in the months ahead.

But we've never paid more than $200 a night for lodging (we are generally Quality Inn kinda people), and it is a very basic accommodation (think 1960s motor lodge). So it is hard to wrap my brain around the cost. However, it is unlikely that they are going to lower the price next year, and who knows how long our bodies will last.

So I am seeking advice from those who have made the trip. Would you still go at that price? Is it really so wonderful? Is my Fear of Missing Out getting the best of me, or will I be glad I did it?
Yikes! I was there probably 20 years ago as part of a Grand Canyon walking/hiking tour and the Havasupai Lodge wasn't even up to Quality Inn standards - the room wasn't very clean, the hot water heater was definitely undersized for the number of rooms, and customer service was lacking. Tourism may be necessary but it wasn't welcomed by the tribal population.

Here is a You Tube video from 2015 that shows a typical room. Do you know did they do any renovations or are they just leveraging the popularity since the viewing platform at the top of the canyon was built? I also recommend that you read the Trip Advisor reviews of the lodge - it doesn't sound like customer service has improved as of last fall. But it is the only game in town, so you need to take that into consideration. As I recall dining options were also very limited so you will want to plan accordingly. I think the "no reservations" for the helicopter may be a double edged sword. There are a few trip advisor reviews about tourists getting bumped when locals show up later and they "cut in line" for the next helicopter.

Lodging aside, the Havasu Falls hikes were one of my favorite parts of the trip. The first couple of falls are just a short hike but it is strenuous to get to the bottom of Mooney Falls and includes climbing down a chute with pretty much vertical steps and either rops or chains to hold onto. I turned around before starting the climb down as did many of the women on my tour. The ones that did it said that it was pretty dicey and they were all in their 30's and 40s. I also went in October and while it was too cold to swim in the pools at the bottom of the falls, we enjoyed a picnic lunch and dangling our feet in the water.

The walk into the canyon is less strenuous than many of the Grand Canyon hikes, but we didn't have to carry anything but a day pack since our stuff went down on mules. I'm not sure I would have wanted to do it carrying my gear, but then I would never consider hiking in to camp with a tent and sleeping bag, so you may be hardier than me. The most strenuous part of the hike is at the beginning going in and at the end going out. So you definitely want to get an early start on the way out if you are hiking. I don't think you need to sleep in your car the night before to start the hike at the crack of dawn in October. We headed over from the south rim of the GC and IIRC had a picnic lunch at the hilltop before starting our hike. The caveat of course is daypacks not full gear.

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving the remaining luggage locked in a rental car at the top of the canyon for several days. Could you leave stuff at the conference hotel to be picked up on the way home? Or ship a suitcase with the conference duds home by UPS? I overlooked you were coming from Indonesia! :oops:

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Many of the places that you might want to visit get booked up instantly. For example, for Phantom Ranch, you can call the day reservations open for a year in advance and not get through for an hour until all the reservations are gone.

MAYBE raising the price will make it possible to book without being the winner of a lottery.

I would also note that there is a certain justice to the native Americans sticking it to the white guy.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Is it worth it?
Well, you say you have had many years of business trips to AZ and never made the time. You let time pass for the sake of job then. Now you have the chance. And now, having made reservations you are unsure. You can let it pass, once again. And yet, it is your dream and now you are mid sixties. Time waits for no woman. If not now, finally, after years of dreaming and passing the opportunity by, when would you go?
This is it. You go in 2020 or you never go. Never go, and later you will remember the time you had a final chance and you let it slide because you were too cheap to pay the price. If you had moved on your dream sooner you would have paid less.
Think of that. Never go. Maybe people,will ask you about your dreams and you will have to say to them, "I didn't do it". Oh, you can make your excuses then but in your heart you will know you backed your life down for the sake of a few hundred dollars. You failed to achieve.

skjoldur

Post by skjoldur » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:49 pm

I think there may be a different way to look think about this.

You seem to be focused on the price of the night in the lodge as compared to how much you might pay for a night in a motel in very different circumstances.

In this case, there is no way to really make a comparison because the context is so different.

Instead, you could consider the total cost of the trip. Is it worth it for you? If it is, then the cost of the individual parts are irrelevant. It's also irrelevant if the trip or any of its parts are a 'good value.' If you want to do this trip and the total cost is worth it to you, it doesn't matter if a different trip to a different place would be a 'better value.'

Bear in mind the benefit you are already getting from your husband's conference, so the total cost is already less expensive.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Naismith wrote:
I am not sure that we could hike 10 miles into the campground, but I do feel quite confident that we could hike 8 miles to the Lodge, with a lighter pack due to not needing to carry a tent/sleeping bag. Then another 4-5 miles round trip the next day to see the falls should be fun.
This could be the start of another hobby in ultralight backpacking. A comfortable setup with pack, tent, sleeping quilt, air pad, stove+cookkit, clothes, plus all the extra accept food, water, and fuel for an individual now all weighs under 10 lbs.

One can buy a lot of gear for $440 and even more for $880.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Everything at the Havasupai reservation seemed way over priced for what you were getting. The wife and I drove from Las Vegas to visit the Grand Canyon, and were kind of disgusted by the unbridled desire to get in one's back pocket. I think a bottle of water was like $17 or something silly like that. There were all kinds of silly tricks like giving you $10 gift shop credit and the cheapest thing in there was $15. Like a pack of gum was $15 that you would normally pay less than $2 for.

In the end we opted to just drive back to Vegas without seeing the Canyon. We got a nice reasonably priced meal a short distance away, and bought some nice hand made jewelry from locals at a rest stop.

If money, is at all a concern I would avoid the reservation. If seeing this place is really important to you, be prepared to open your wallet for all kinds of unexpected expenses.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Just do it.

I had similar reservations last year when going to Galapagos. Diving was $100 a day. Flight from Quito was $400rt. In hindsight, I think it was silly for me to sweat spending $1800 for a ten day trip to a magical place.

If u can also do the rim to rim hike, that is also amazing and you can hire mules to carry your stuff up if you are unable.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Yikes! I was there probably 20 years ago as part of a Grand Canyon walking/hiking tour and the Havasupai Lodge wasn't even up to Quality Inn standards - the room wasn't very clean, the hot water heater was definitely undersized for the number of rooms, and customer service was lacking. Tourism may be necessary but it wasn't welcomed by the tribal population.

Here is a You Tube video from 2015 that shows a typical room. Do you know did they do any renovations or are they just leveraging the popularity since the viewing platform at the top of the canyon was built? I also recommend that you read the Trip Advisor reviews of the lodge - it doesn't sound like customer service has improved as of last fall. But it is the only game in town, so you need to take that into consideration. As I recall dining options were also very limited so you will want to plan accordingly. I think the "no reservations" for the helicopter may be a double edged sword. There are a few trip advisor reviews about tourists getting bumped when locals show up later and they "cut in line" for the next helicopter.

[/quote]

We did this 20 years ago also, the lodge was as described, the natives were only looking for the dollar. That said the hike in and out was nice and the falls and the river were pretty spectacular. I have hiked to Phantom ranch in the GC a bunch of times and would do it again. Havasupai I would probably pass on.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:20 pm

If you want to do it, then do it! You only live once.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Maybe you could mail your stuff instead of humping everything to the lodge. Just take the absolute minimum number of items on your hikes.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 am
Naismith wrote:

Is it really so wonderful? Is my Fear of Missing Out getting the best of me, or will I be glad I did it?
I can't answer the rest of your questions since I hiked UP from the river to see the falls. But it is a spectacular falls and extremely beautiful. One of the big reasons for that is because it is not easily accessible so it doesn't see as many visitors and thus hasn't been trashed out like other places, or at least it wasn't when I was there almost 20 years ago.
I have not been to the falls, but in doing research for a potential trip, I read that trail down from the rim has a LOT of trash--much more so then the trails in the National Park.

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 pm

The lodge was being remodeled last month when we were there. It's like a clean motel 6 (at best), but the hot water was hot and the cold ac was cold.

The hike was not particularly hard. only the first/last mile from the parking area (steep switchbacks).

It was cool and worth doing and really beautiful... but soooooooo many instagram stars. All about the selfies and I feel like half the people hiking there were just there for the snaps. And holy smokes there were a LOT of people. It's definitely remote, but there's not really much solitude, if that makes sense.

But back to the original question... pay the $$$ if you want to see it. Once you see supai, you'll know that nobody is getting rich off of those fees.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 pm

JMacDonald wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:29 am
Well, having stayed at many lodges at National Parks, I have never paid anywhere near $350. Now if I wanted to stay at the Majestic Lodge in Yosemite, it beats that: https://reservations.ahlsmsworld.com/Yo ... ch/Results
This doesn't help the original poster, but the FDR-era Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park is often $100-$120/night (plus $25 per dog or cat): https://www.goshenandoah.com/lodging/big-meadows-lodge

Marylander1

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:43 pm

shawndoggy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:28 pm
The hike was not particularly hard. only the first/last mile from the parking area (steep switchbacks).

But back to the original question... pay the $$$ if you want to see it. Once you see supai, you'll know that nobody is getting rich off of those fees.
Hard is a relative concept. Elevation-wise, it is moderate, with sections in the washes that would count as off-trail/scrambling.

What can make it brutal is the lack of shade, so if you get a hot day, you need lots of water and an easy pace.

Also, if in doubt, carry only the necessities for the day in your packs, and hire a mule to carry the rest down in duffle bags.

Economics can be a peculiar thing on reservations. I guarantee they are making a huge margin over their operating cost, although for the number of visitors they allow, the tribe certainly does not get rich.

In my opinion, it's worth it if you can get a reservation. I expect that even with the huge price increase, you will have trouble getting booked for the dates you want if you don't do so the first day reservations open.

I did not stay in the lodge, but from what I saw, I would say consider it not much more than a place to sleep, and treat it like part of the overhead cost of the trip, not a lodging that earns its value on its own merit. The real value is enjoying the views hiking in and exploring the falls.
Finridge wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 pm
in doing research for a potential trip, I read that trail down from the rim has a LOT of trash
It's stunningly bad for the first couple of miles. Most of it gets kicked off the trail so it's not necessarily in your face, but the volume that is there if you look for it is ridiculous. I try to take a small trash bag with me when I hike so I can pick up trash while I'm out, but I forgot on that trip. No problem. I just filled one of the coolers I found discarded on the trail with trash instead.

Fortunately, the view is good enough it is also reasonably easy to look past the trash and enjoy it.

sedonashine

Post by sedonashine » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 am

This tribe continues to abuse animals...especially pack horses and mules. A beautiful place to be sure...but a lot of unnecessary ugliness . Iphone footage coming out of there is heartbreaking.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:41 am

This could be the start of another hobby in ultralight backpacking.
Bogleheads shop for used ultralight gear at the gear swap forum at backpackinglight.com
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/for ... gear-swap/
There will be backpacks for sale there from someone because a different one is a 3-4 ounces lighter than the one he/she owns now.

Topic Author
Naismith

Post by Naismith » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:03 am

Thanks all for the great advice and thoughtful comments.

We actually have a lot of ultralight equipment because another hobby is multi-day bike trips, and we carry what we need. A few years ago we did the C&O and Great Allegheny Passage trails, and left our car in a parking lot for 10 days without worrying about it or having problems--but those were great cautions and ideas, thanks.

Although my husband is attending a professional conference, we are paying for everything ourselves. It's for a niche specialty that doesn't meet every year, and he didn't have a chance to attend one after his decision to retire. So this is a chance to say goodbye to everyone, or decide if he is still interested enough to participate at our expense. (He still has some professional papers in the pipeline.)

I realize that in part I am suffering from the typical new-retiree hesitation to spend the money. We absolutely can afford it, but we aren't used to spending the money that we carefully saved. I've studied about this phenomenon, I've read other posters, but somehow didn't think it would hit me like this.

We actually stopped working for pay at the end of 2017, but we've been in Indonesia since then serving as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The cost of living here is pretty low, we haven't bought much in the way of clothes or household stuff, and we are so busy that we haven't had much opportunity to do tourist stuff. So we haven't spent much money while here and haven't exercised those muscles yet.

We'll be returning home to Florida in fall 2019, about a year before the planned trip. Although the flatland of Florida does not seem conducive to training for a hilly hike, we are fortunate that our local football stadium is open to the public for stair-running except during an event. Hiking up and down those steps is a great proxy for a hill, and helped my husband to prepare to successfully take a scout troop out to Philmont. And we are used to heat.

Thanks again; I loved the photo and hope to post my own, 16 months from now.

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks again; I loved the photo and hope to post my own, 16 months from now.
If you could get a little fall color I am sure it would be amazing.

I was worried before we did it that we hadn’t trained enough. But once we got there and I saw the many completely unprepared people who managed to complete the hike, I realized it’s not really such a big deal. Heat (hydration) is the only big concern.

We were glad to have stayed at the lodge. The walk from the campground to Mooney falls is made to seem like some arduous trek, but it really wasn’t a big deal. Give yourself some time, but it’s not bad.

The sketchiest part by far is the descent of Mooney falls. If you have a fear of heights (like the hikers in front of us did, unfortunately) it could be a very tough experience.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:35 pm

shawndoggy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 am
The sketchiest part by far is the descent of Mooney falls. If you have a fear of heights (like the hikers in front of us did, unfortunately) it could be a very tough experience.
Mooney Falls was my favorite part of the trip in no small part for the climb down, but be aware it is a more or less climbing. There are ladders for most of the descent, and chains to hold on to for the parts where there are no ladders, but even if you decide not to try the descent, there is plenty of similarly great scenery to enjoy above Mooney Falls. That said, my wife was terrified during the descent, but going slowly, did find all the footholds and was thrilled to have done it.

If you want to see truly sketchy, look carefully along the canyon walls between the campground and Mooney falls for old mine entrances. I'll give you a hint: they are often not at ground level.

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Agree... the mooney part was fun and part of the adventure. I loved the area between Mooney and Beaver too... with stream crossings and ladders and bridges and whatnot it felt like the inspiration for Tom Sawyer's Island at Disneyland.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:55 pm

I say there are plenty of other places to go for practically free out in the west!!!

They are making bank because that place is all the hype these days!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:07 pm

I got to visit both falls absolutely free of charge since I came via a dory boat on the river. Actually it cost money to be on the dory boat but the month I spent was well worth the price.