best way to deal with mice in a rental property

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heymary

best way to deal with mice in a rental property

Post by heymary » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi there, I have a rental property in Pacific Northwest. Its a single family home and every year in Oct/Nov I take precaution of laying out fresh bait traps; winter months have typically been the most trouble as weather changes. The bait positioning was recommended by a professional pest control company and I've followed every year. However the tenant just notified me that there is new infestation, which is unusual in Spring. Anyone have luck with sonic mouse traps? I have been so burned lately by amazon reviews being fake/inaccurate that I'm hoping to get some solid advice and recommendations. Thank you.

jebmke

Re: best way to deal with mice in a rental property

Post by jebmke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm not a fan of bait; it could end up being consumed again by a bird. I have had very good luck with snap traps and peanut butter.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
heymary

Post by heymary » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:27 pm

The tenants have a 10 yr old child. I assume he would not be at risk for a snap trap? Plus I guess snap traps would confirm where the mice are active (with bait traps they die later..if the bait is taken at all...). Btw is there any chance that the bait has expired or has reduced effectiveness (we used Tomcat pre-baited traps, on recommendation, but there is no info on Tomcat site about expiry). Also its been very hot and tenants have been leaving their porch door open at all times so...that could be a reason.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm

What do the tenants want you to do? When I rented, I just took care of mice myself.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Home Depot sells rodent zappers for mice and rats. I have zapped many mice humanely-no blood. You tube rodent zappers to see how they work.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 pm

heymary wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:22 pm
Anyone have luck with sonic mouse traps? I have been so burned lately by amazon reviews being fake/inaccurate that I'm hoping to get some solid advice and recommendations. Thank you.
There is no evidence sonic traps actually work.

Here is a wirecutter article. To summarize, snap traps are what they recommend.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-mousetrap/

If the tenants leave the doors open all the time mice can wander in whenever they want, no not much point in killing them since new ones will always come.

Topic Author
heymary

Post by heymary » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Love Wirecutter. Going to get ten of the tomcat snap traps. Thanks for advice!

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:54 am

heymary wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Love Wirecutter. Going to get ten of the tomcat snap traps. Thanks for advice!
We use traps very similar to this and put peanut butter in the middle of them. Works great!

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:28 am

No poison, please, because secondary poisoning will take out hawks, owls, etc.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:33 am

I'm surprised the pest control company didn't figure out where the mice are coming in? Putting bait or snap traps is fine to get rid of the ones that are already there but the only long term solution is to seal up the points of entrance so new ones can't enter.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:36 am

I have had the best luck with glue traps. But you have to handle them carefully and locate them back in dark corners and underneath things where kids and pets won't get stuck to them.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 am

The most important thing is to show, and most importantly "document", good efforts to resolve the problem because there are potential liability and other issues that can crop up now or down the road (CYA). The mice are "secondary" to this, in a way.

1. Jiff peanut butter and snap traps and glue traps in safe locations.
. . . Inexpensive Victor wooden snap traps can be bought in bulk, then thrown away along the the mouse, don't have to be reused. Ick! :shock:
2. Secure all entry points.
3. Send a notice to the tenant to also "help out" by keeping garage doors closed, trash secured, etc, etc.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm
What do the tenants want you to do? When I rented, I just took care of mice myself.
This is a trickier question than it might seem. Yes, many rental agreements say that the tenant is responsible for bug or rodent infestations. However, the landlord is on the hook for providing a “clean and livable space”. If the tenant calls the local health department, the landlord will be forced to deal with it in many or most places regardless of what the lease says. Or they will shut down the certificate of occupancy.
Realities of landlording....

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:42 am

euroswiss wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:38 am
livesoft wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm
This is a trickier question than it might seem. Yes, many rental agreements say that the tenant is responsible for bug or rodent infestations. However, the landlord is on the hook for providing a “clean and livable space”. If the tenant calls the local health department, the landlord will be forced to deal with it in many or most places regardless of what the lease says. Or they will shut down the certificate of occupancy.
Realities of landlording....
+1
Show good effort to resolve the problem.
Or:
Tenant will with hold rent, or partial rent.
Tenant will move out.
Tenant will call exterminators and have them send you a bill.
Tenant will stay in alternative quarters "at your expense" until the problem is resolved because the dwelling is "unsafe", "unlivable", etc.
And so forth.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 am

Wish all life's problems were this easy and cheap to fix and no hazard chemicals! Rid all mice fast and easy for about $10.

Buy cheap generic small mouse traps at Walmart, Dollar general, etc.
Buy cheapest peanut butter, small jar, at same place.

If you want to resue traps, buy some vinyl gloves at Harbor Freight and maybe cheap pliars.

Peanut butter has a strong odor that will attract mice. Also, it is very sticky. Those sneaky nimble rodents will seek it out and rarely escape the stickiness of peanut butter. Trap will catch them.

You can put gloves on and take pliars and walk trap including mouse to garbage container. Use pliars to open trap and dump mouse into container.

Cheapest Trap Recycle Method:

Keep gloves on. Gently reopen trap and rebait trap. It will probably have mouse guts on it.

Make sure to place traps near areas where food is stored or crumbs fall, etc..

Be ready for mice to visit for night time smorgasboard of PB!

Trap Replacement Method:

Buy new traps and rebait with peanut butter. Replace in kitchen.

Repeat process till you are 100% mice free. Lived in lots of dumps and used this method multipe times and it is absolutely fool proof and cheap.

PS. Forgot to mention. If you have never used mouse traps, do multiple "trial and error" practices of setting mouse trap triggers BEFORE baiting with peanut butter. Trial and error can be a little painful (not much), buu want to get the process kinks out before baiting trap with peanut butter.

Good luck!

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Shawn Woods (author of the above video) has dozens of videos on his channel, "Mouse Trap Monday," showing the effectiveness -- or lack thereof -- of many different kinds of mouse traps.

Warning: some of the videos may be unsuitable for those faint of heart.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Would you allow the tenant to have a cat?

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:32 pm

My two cats (indoor only) took care of the mice in my rental. There were obviously mice here when I moved in because my cats essentially told me (cats can hear mice who often communicate up to 60 KHz which is well above the human hearing range)and I found a few mouse droppings that weren't cleaned up my previous tenants. Within a month no more mice and none since (I presume the mice could smell the cats and got out of Dodge). At my previous place which I owned I had some flying squirrels in the attic. I tried have a heart traps which did not work. I then used the zapper traps from home depot and those got both of them. Prior to cats I have used mouse traps and they worked well. I really try to avoid poisons because they are hard to control.
Last edited by THY4373 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm

get a snake.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Fraud lawsuit about ultrasonic mouse traps. Spoiler: They don't work.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/05/mouse-tra ... ddle-suit/

The pictures are funny.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:34 am

heymary wrote:
Hi there, I have a rental property in Pacific Northwest. Its a single family home and every year in Oct/Nov I take precaution of laying out fresh bait traps; winter months have typically been the most trouble as weather changes. The bait positioning was recommended by a professional pest control company and I've followed every year. However the tenant just notified me that there is new infestation, which is unusual in Spring. Anyone have luck with sonic mouse traps? I have been so burned lately by amazon reviews being fake/inaccurate that I'm hoping to get some solid advice and recommendations. Thank you.
There are youtube video's that will show how small a hole a mouse can squeeze through. It's worth it to give your property a close inspection or have a pest control company come by to recheck the property.

I'm a fan of the cheap disposable single use wood traps with peanut butter. Those can be reused, but I prefer just throwing the whole thing mouse and all out. Seems pretty humane as it typically looks like it was quick and painless for the mouse. I've been tempted to do the mouse bucket trap for cost effectiveness which you can search youtube videos on this. A bit more traumatic for the mouse if that bother's you. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marainbow-Sn ... MPEALw_wcB

The problem with bait is if even a small mouse dies somewhere in the walls it has a horrible stench that lasts a long time. Finding a dead mouse in a wall is a very difficult thing.

There could be some argument to have a pest control company come out do the inspection and make a recommendation. That way, if it is just a tenant leaving door/garage door open it would provide documentation that you are doing everything to rid the infestation and they can put the recommendation that occupants do not leave doors open in their "report" of services/recommendations. I'm a fan of having a lease go month to month after initial period. If the real problem is your tenant leaving doors open and not caring, then the month to month allows you to more easily remove them (the tenant not the mice) before a potentially much longer period of a long lease.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:07 pm
I have had very good luck with snap traps and peanut butter.
+1. To eliminate infestation, put out multiple traps, check daily and replace as necessary. Keep replacing until no more snapped traps.

To prevent, the key is to seal the gaps that mice are using to get in. Check the house perimeter inside and out for openings especially near ground levels especially around door/window openings and any wires or pipes going into house. Caulk to seal.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:13 am

heymary wrote:
Anyone have luck with sonic mouse traps?
Sonic traps are completely useless. Don't waste your money.

Snap traps are the only way to go. I like this style: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B9XPOO baited with peanut butter. Start there. Then, figure out how mice are getting in and seal the opening.

In our second home, we had mice in the attic. I went up there and placed snap traps, emptied and rebaited once per week until I wasn't catching any more.

And it took me 5 years (yikes!) but I finally figured out how they were getting in. There was a notch at the foundation about the size of a quarter that was hidden behind some plants. The mice were entering there and climbing up inside the wall cavity. I sealed that up and no more mice since.
Don't be a lemming.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:15 am

Borrow a cat.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.