Golf interest rekindled after decades - My son created a monster! Now what?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dowse

Golf interest rekindled after decades - My son created a monster! Now what?

Post by dowse » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:23 am

My adult son has a knack for getting me involved in new activities that I end up enjoying. The latest one is golf. A couple of weeks ago, when visiting him and my DIL, he invited me to go out with him and one of his friends for a round of golf. Initially, the plan was that he would throw in an extra set of clubs, but I would just be driving the cart and enjoying the banter. Well, it started out that way, but then I started dropping a ball near the greens, chipping onto the green and putting, just to have fun. When we got to the back nine, we were at a tee facing a fairly wide fairway, so my son invited me to try a drive. To everyones astonishment (including mine), the drive went about 200 yards down the middle. This was the first time I had hit off a tee in almost 50 years! As a teenager, my dad had me playing, trying to convince me that it would help me in business. I found it too frustrating and eventually quit. Anyway, I kept playing the rest of the holes. Most of the drives went awry, but one 6-iron shot off a par 3 tee landed on the green. I found the whole thing hilarious. My son and his friend were stunned. However, it seems I now have been bitten by the bug.

My son had a spare set of pretty good clubs, which he gave me. It lacked a good putter, so I bought one. I've been out on my own on a par 3 course and at the driving range. I've started researching local courses. I can't easily play with my son, as he lives 700 mi. away. He has advised me to get some more clubs, but I'm not so sure. For woods, I only have a driver and a 5-wood, but I've found on the range that the 5-wood distance isn't that much shorter than the driver. He's also recommended getting a couple of different pitch angles, but I'm not so sure. The irons I currently have are 5,6,7,8,9, pitch and wedge. Any recommendations on what clubs if any I should buy?

It was a blast playing with my son and his friend, but now I fear the old competitive juices starting to flow, and I want to get better. I'm hoping to keep that in check much better than when I was young. The main benefit is being able to share an activity with my son that we both enjoy.

I'm also an avid fly fisherman. I used to think that not many were both fishermen and golfers, but what the heck, there is no reason they have to be mutually exclusive. Besides, in the summer months, the trout fishing slows down a lot, but I can still go golfing.

Golf maniac

Re: Golf interest rekindled after decades - My son created a monster! Now what?

Post by Golf maniac » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:37 am

My recommendation is find a good PGA pro and take a lesson. If you click with the instructor buy a package, if not look for someone else. The pro can recommend clubs but I would look for used clubs on sites like callaway preowned. He should be able to tell you if you need standard size clubs or if you need longer or shorter clubs, Don’t invest a ton of money in new shiny clubs until you play a year or so and see if you truly want to invest in golf. Good luck and play well.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:15 am

Wow, similar feelings here.

Not quite as long of a lay-off as you. My lay-off ended one month ago after about 7 years. My golf clubs were still in the airline travel bag with luggage tags. A new job and location 7 years ago took most of my time and to be perfectly honest at that point the game and time spent was no longer enjoyable. We had a new kid (our fist and only) and the 4 hour rounds no longer were as meaningful and just a drag on time with family.

The job got mulch more efficient with time and the kid and spouse are now encouraging me to spend more time away (in a nice way). The kid has more friends and school events activities that no longer require or even desire my presence. I went to the driving range a month ago and was really really bad. But a few strokes were ok and reminded me of what feeling the ball fly on the intended arc with minimal club resistance felt GREAT and also got my juices going.

I went out golfing with my older nephew and walked 9 holes and it was a great way to get some exercise and enjoy some banter with beers. It was a costly reminder as I too am again feeling competitive (internally competitive). I work in the center of the country during the middle of the week and we have a place and a home on the left coast. Only had a single set of clubs and travelled with the clubs twice and decided I needed a set of clubs at home or the office home.

Went to Craig’s list and found that I felt better just going into a large golf box store to get a new set with every club included as opposed to nickel and dining myself with different brands and end up costing more. 1.3 K later new set in hand that feel awesome. Then came the shoes that also needed replacement. 2 pairs again for each place. Went and played yesterday with the original older set and now they feel odd, will now have to go back to that box store to get another whole new matching set.

In the end I’m feeling really good about it. I walked 18 holes 3 days this week (twice on work day away) and got 20k steps each day. Last Saturday play 15 holes prior to the kid finishing breakfast (started at 5:30 am ) and therefore didn’t miss any family time and able to go to beach with family.

I think golf is a wonderful activity (not a sport the way I hack) that permits people to have personal measure graded on a scale against others (the handicap) for competitive purposes.

Stick with it take a lesson package at local course and remember the most strokes occur as result of the short game and putting not driving.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:35 am

If you like what you have,I’d recommend a 3 wood/fairway and a hybrid.

People nowadays pack 3-4 wedges, but I still think you can get away with just SW/PW/9 iron.

Also, new shoes help. Or at least feel really nice. 😁

Enjoy! Life is short.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:27 pm

I recently started to try to learn to play. I bought a half set of good clubs, which seems to have been a good idea until I become more consistent in how far I hit each one. I also take lessons, and joined a weekday golf league at a County-owned Par 3 course. The participants are almost all retirees, and because of the nature of the course, none of the players are hyper-competitive and many of them display an indifferent level of skill. It makes for a relaxed and congenial round every week, and is relatively inexpensive, too. Since you seem to have a natural flair for the game, by all means pursue it. It's a great way to socialize and to get outdoors.

Beyond the clubs and lessons, I purchased a bag for the clubs, a nice folding push cart which fits in the trunk of my compact sedan, a pair of golf shoes, and a GPS golf watch. If you have the space and budget, an indoor simulator can be a lot of fun and helpful for practice, too. I have a Skytrak with a Net Return net, and use it almost daily. Some of the simulation programs (e.g. The Golf Club Simulator) available with different launch monitors allow you to play remotely with other people - it might be fun to play long-distance with your son if he got the same software! A simulator also allows you to play and practice regardless of the weather or time of day.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 pm

I took up golf after a 20 year break. My dad advised me to take lessons, which I did.
He also advised me to be careful with my back and I didn't listen to that advice. I got about 10 years of golf in before I helped the church move a piano and organ. My back bothers me too much now to play.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:28 pm

I started golfing at 23 when my former college roommate took me out.

It took a few times but I was hooked. From 23 to 29 I was playing 3 rounds a week. Got married and played maybe a round a week. My wife joined me occasionally. Daughter showed up at when I was 32 and only got out a handful of times after that. Son showed up at age 34. No lessons but was playing in the low 80s, have a knack for the swing and touch.

When my daughter was 9 and son 7, I started taking one at a time out with me (only 9 holes). At first they'd just putt. After a year, they'd swing a handful of times, maybe play a hole.

By 12 and 10, they'd play most of 9 holes. No score keeping and no real instruction from me, just some general guidance on technique and ettiquite. Stop anytime and ride along if frustrated.

I'm 45 now and still playing. Kids are 14 and 12 and while my daughter likes to golf with me, my son really likes the game a lot. We may sign him up for lessons next summer to fix his grip and such, but he's hitting the ball off the tee about 150+ yards now.

Very low key, no scoring and move the ball to better lie if you want. Golf can be brutally frustrating, I want them to enjoy playing for now. If my son gets serious later, awesome.

It's a great game if you don't take it seriously.

JD2775

Post by JD2775 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 pm

I used to play competitively in amateur tours, college, junior golf etc, alongside a lot of the guys who are on the PGA Tour now (but I won't name drop). I gave it up entirely when I turned 23-24, just got tired of it and realized I wasn't good enough to make it to the next level. I went years without playing at all, or playing maybe 1 round a year. It just wasn't fun to me anymore.
Just recently though I have gotten the "urge" again to start playing, for fun this time and not competitively. It's nice to actually enjoy playing again at 44 :)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:35 pm

First: Even if returning after a long layoff. . . Take consistent lessons, 1-2x/week with a "PGA Pro".

Having a solid grooved swing and solid short game and course strategy fundamentals will vastly improve your enjoyment of the game.
(it's no fun spraying the balls over the course and hunting for balls)

Clubs are secondary for now.

Throughout my golf "hobby" since young, I've had a golf coach. At least monthly tuneups.
Lifetime golfer.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 pm
I took up golf after a 20 year break. My dad advised me to take lessons, which I did.
He also advised me to be careful with my back and I didn't listen to that advice. I got about 10 years of golf in before I helped the church move a piano and organ. My back bothers me too much now to play.
Yes.
The golf swing is unkind to lumbar and cervical discs. PGA and LPGA Tour players are walking wounded.

Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:51 pm

This is awesome you and your son are playing!

I’ve played off and on since high school with only one driver lesson in my 40s. A year ago I started working with the most awesome golfing coach ever at Golftec. My coach got me to start keeping scores and was >100. After less than a year got my HC down to 11.8. We now have a plan thru July that should have me consistently in the 70s.

It’s a process and anyone can be as good as the work you want to put in.

I’m looking forward to many years of playing in retirement with my wife and grandkids.

Good luck!

Chip

Post by Chip » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:40 am

I restarted after a 20+ year layoff. Agree with previous posters - take lessons. If you don't click with the first pro, try another. Some teachers are better than others, or just more suited to your personality.

The clubs aren't really important as long as they've been made within the last 15 years. I restarted with persimmon woods and blade irons. I wouldn't recommend that. :oops: Agree with previous post to wait at least a year before buying a new set.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 am

To maximize the fun to frustration ratio you might consider keeping with the no investment, par three on occasion approach, and playing for fun, social reasons. That is the sweet spot for me.

The occasional good shot is a fun period, the next steps are time and money eaters. If you are looking for a way to spend more time and money while elevating your level of frustration in order to achieve a few more of those occasional good shots, then the approach of new clubs, lessons, and more practice will do the job :D
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:46 am

Serie1926 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:51 pm

I’ve played off and on since high school with only one driver lesson in my 40s. A year ago I started working with the most awesome golfing coach ever at Golftec. My coach got me to start keeping scores and was >100. After less than a year got my HC down to 11.8. We now have a plan thru July that should have me consistently in the 70s.

I’m looking forward to many years of playing in retirement with my wife and grandkids.

Good luck!
+1
IMHO This is one of the sweetest rewards in golf.
I sent my son to a PGA pro for a full lesson series when he was 10.
(my dad had also sent me to lessons when I was young as well, so I grew up playing golf with my dad, watching "Shells Wide World Of Golf" on TV) :D
DW and I went along. DW ended up taking lessons as well.
My son went on to play Junior Golf , College Varsity, etc.
Playing golf as a family beats any low handicap or shot I've ever made in golf.

Parent and child Golf.
The "bestest" ever.

Fore!! :D
j

Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:52 am

Serie1926 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Good luck!
Yes! You get it! This is more about being able to spend quality time with my son. That the activity happens to be golf is incidental. Getting a little better at it without getting carried away is the goal. If I can get to the point where I can play a round while only losing a couple of balls, then I'll be happy. In recent years, I've mentioned to my wife that I wish I had taken up golf again so I could go out with him. Now I am doing that. He has given me a great gift. It's not the clubs or even the activity per se, but rather enabling us to spend more time together.

Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:59 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:39 am
To maximize the fun to frustration ratio you might consider keeping with the no investment, par three on occasion approach, and playing for fun, social reasons. That is the sweet spot for me.

The occasional good shot is a fun period, the next steps are time and money eaters. If you are looking for a way to spend more time and money while elevating your level of frustration in order to achieve a few more of those occasional good shots, then the approach of new clubs, lessons, and more practice will do the job :D
This is pretty much my mind set at this point. Golf is one of those games where if you strive to be the best you can be, you will never be satisfied. Tennis is the same way (I dropped that decades ago, too). I think I can be happy with not being a total embarrassment on the course while socializing with family and friends. I consider it a successful hole if I don't lose a ball. Anything more is a pleasant surprise.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:11 am

It doesn’t sound like you probably need any more clubs at this point. My advice would be to play your setup for the rest of the year and see if there are any shots that you don’t feel you have in your bag. 9, pw, sw should be fine for most people, if you hit your driver 200 yards you probably don’t have a need for a gap wedge between pw and sand wedge. If you have a big gap between 5i and 5wood you could buy a 4 hybrid. You may even decide that you like hybrids and replace the 5 iron as well. If your yardage gap between driver and 5 wood is more than 30 yards then you might want to add a 3 wood eventually. But the 5 wood will be easier to hit off the fairway and for you will probably not be that much different than a 3 wood. Just because they allow 14 clubs doesn’t mean you need to carry that many. If you do take some lessons and your instructor thanks you need to add club like a hybrid or another fairway wood or a lob wedge, callawaypreowned.com which was mentioned previously is an excellent website with good prices, high quality equipment, and great customer service and return policy. Enjoy!

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 am

60-year-old retiree here who lives on the golf course and loves golf.

Not all “PGA professionals” are created equal. Do your due diligence before spending time with an instructor to increase the chances that you will have a good fit.

I have an excellent instructor with a good fit, but have witnessed other instructors and well-meaning friends give some really poor instruction.

Finally, golf is hard. Like life and other athletic endeavors, be sure you exercise some expectation management.

bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:50 am

Whatever your skill level, keep the pace of play moving along. Don't be the guy everyone waits on. I've been playing for over 45 years....its not how you play, it's not where you play, it's who you play with. Golf creates life long friends.

bcc 1234

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 am

There are other fly fishing opportunities in the summer besides trout...

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:10 am

I can relate to returning to the game after decades away. I played regularly until about age 40 when I became interested in other activities such as triathlons, bicycling and the like. At about age 70, after 30 years away from golf and no intention of returning, we bought a house on a country club golf course. It didn't take long of watching all the old hackers going by the house that I began to think, "If they can do it, I can". Having given away my former clubs, I bought myself a set of clubs, went to the public driving ranges, played on public courses and soon I was joining the country club where I lived. That evolved into playing multiple times a week and eventually leasing a take home cart for quick and convenient access to the golf course.

I've now been playing a number of years and, after a few lessons, I'm playing better than I did in my 30's, which wasn't great. I now seem to have accepted the fact I'll never be a great golfer but can play the game well enough to keep up, not lose too many balls and have some enjoyment at it. I shoot an occasional round in the 80's but also an occasional round over 100. At this stage of life I can live with that.

Hope you continue on with your return to the game and enjoy the pastime as much as I am.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Ah yes bcc 1234 .... right on in terms of speed of play… our group has an open invitation for anyone. We have about 15 regulars ranging in handicaps from +2 up to over 20… Regardless of handicap, no one enjoys playing with a golfer who

A. Plays slow (aka the human rain delay)
B. Goes dark and whiny when they have a poor round.

A cheerful prompt golfer is welcome in just about any environment.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:56 am

J295 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:39 pm
Ah yes bcc 1234 .... right on in terms of speed of play… our group has an open invitation for anyone. We have about 15 regulars ranging in handicaps from +2 up to over 20… Regardless of handicap, no one enjoys playing with a golfer who

A. Plays slow (aka the human rain delay)
B. Goes dark and whiny when they have a poor round.

A cheerful prompt golfer is welcome in just about any environment.
Don't get me started on that topic.

My son and I spent THREE AND A HALF flipping hours trying to play nine a few weeks ago. This threesome of old men were slow and TERRIBLE. They had the entire course stacked behind them. If you can't hit the ball 50 yards, waiting for the green to clear on a par 4 before you tee off probably isn't required.

Then last week we were behind a guy and his probably 80 year old dad. Guy had trouble walking to tee first tee, but then proceeds to hit one 170 yards down the middle, and his iron shot went on the green. That guy played some golf in his lifetime.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 am

Seems like im the only one who would not recommend an instructor, right off the bat.

Forget going out and playing. Live on the range. If your swing is really awful, check out some youtube videos of basic fundamentals, then head to the range and try to replicate...or watch the video and head to your back yard and practice swinging.

Unless you're going to play a lot, golf lessons is a waste of money. My FIL is a pga pro. He gives lessons. There are only a handful of people who havent reverted to their old habits. You have to hit a LOT of balls with whatever new technique they recommend.

Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:10 am

gmc4h232 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 am
There are other fly fishing opportunities in the summer besides trout...
Agreed. It's just not as much fun fishing for bass and other warm water species for me. However, I do get a few opportunities during the summer to go out and fly fish for striped bass with a good friend who has a boat. That's great fun.

Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 am

ponyboy wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 am
Seems like im the only one who would not recommend an instructor, right off the bat.

Forget going out and playing. Live on the range. If your swing is really awful, check out some youtube videos of basic fundamentals, then head to the range and try to replicate...or watch the video and head to your back yard and practice swinging.

Unless you're going to play a lot, golf lessons is a waste of money. My FIL is a pga pro. He gives lessons. There are only a handful of people who havent reverted to their old habits. You have to hit a LOT of balls with whatever new technique they recommend.
That's pretty much where I am at this point. I will humbly say that I think my swing is pretty good. My son took video of it for me. The main problem, as it is for many, is consistency. Currently trying to correct a tendency to slice with drivers. So, as you say, time on the range should improve that. My belief is that I have ok natural swing mechanics. In my youth, I had enough hand-eye coordination to play baseball and basketball into HS. Some of that still remains. I'll spend time on the range, but I will want to test myself on the course from time to time.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:03 am

I think lessons would be a good idea to get started with sound fundamentals. You will get different opinions about clubs, even from teaching pros. However, I think the most obvious addition to the clubs you have would be hybrids. Most seniors and many others have trouble hitting long and middle irons. Hybrids are more forgiving and get the ball in the air better. As a start, a good hybrid 4 or 5, preferably with a graphite shaft.

There are a lot of variables to matching clubs to the golfer. What you have is fine to start, but if you continue playing you should consider getting fitted with clubs that suit your swing and age. I am age 74 and have played golf for more than 50 years. I am about 15 handicap and slowing losing ground. I have used graphite woods for a long time but switched to graphite irons 2 years ago as it got harder to hit my irons. Graphite is much easier on the body and is what most seniors should play with.

I hope you enjoy playing and maintain your enthusiasm for the game. Even when my game stinks, I can enjoy the camaraderie and nature. As the saying goes, "a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day in the office".

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Like some of you, I "retired" from golf once kids came along and now I only play a round or two per year. But the kids are getting older and more independent and it's threads like this that get the juices flowing again!

The one side-benefit of playing only once or twice per year is that I have zero expectations on how well I do, so it is a much more leisurely experience. I guess my only fear is that if I start "working at it" again, it will lead to the competitiveness and frustration that often darkened my mood in the past after a poor round. May be I'm older and wiser now....

To the OP, I would stick with the basics on clubs...no reason to have a gazillion wedges unless you are a low handicapper. In fact, it's probably good for your overall game to learn how to modify your swing a bit on "in between" shots. That will help develop touch and feel.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:19 pm

My best round is always the first of the season. Then I over think things and things go downhill for a while, then I get better just before the snow settles in and the cycle repeats.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Now what? This is it. You had a first good drive and a nice 6 iron onto the green. That is how it is. You have a shot that works and you think you are OK and all is rosey and the next shot is a skunker. It will lure you back with those intermittent good shots. Just as your fishing does. Almost the same thing. No fish for long times, maybe the whole day, then a fish caught and there you are doing it again.
Maybe new clubs will help. It's always something.
Best to run away from golf as fast as you can. Stay with the fly fishing. That's one hobby enough to try your soul.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:57 pm

dowse wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:23 am
Any recommendations on what clubs if any I should buy?
I'd recommend getting some sort of hybrid wood. For me, it's my favorite club to use on par 5s and off the tee on par 4s when I'm not as confident in my driver staying straight. Many club manufacturers are not selling 3-iron and 4-irons anymore, as they've been replaced by these hybrids.

It was 2 years since the last time I golfed until I golfed again last weekend, and I'm very interested in finding time to continue, because I hit a lot of really good shots. I just need to work on my consistency. If I could be consistent, I could get a handicap in the single-digits. So I totally understand getting the "bug"!

Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks to all who responded. To those recommending lessons, your point is well taken, but I will probably hold off on that a while and see how it goes. Maybe that guarantees it won't go well, but so be it. I have never been big on taking lessons. Too "frugal", I guess. I took downhill skiing lessons early on, went after more and more challenging slopes, but now I'm happy with intemediate trails at most and no black diamonds. I was told I should take fly casting lessons. I didnt, and my cast is fine. I was told I should take a fly-tying class. I didnt, and my flies work just fine.

A few of you have recommended no new clubs and a couple of you have recommended a hybrid. My son recommended a hybrid, and let me use his a few times. I might get one, but will wait. I did spend $100 on a new putter, as the one he gave me was ancient. We called it "the sledgehammer". I also bought a pair of golf shoes and some cheap balls, as I will be losing plenty.

If I don't have fun, I will leave it behind with no regrets. I don't have that much invested in it at this point.