Chipped windshield getting worse

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

Chipped windshield getting worse

Post by doss » Fri May 31, 2019 1:38 pm

i have a 2008 Ford Focus with a chip on the windshield that is getting out of control. Almost halfway through the entire window. As I've never had to deal with this, anyone have any advice on how I can get the problem fixed at a reasonable price and/or what to avoid?

neilpilot

Re: Chipped windshield getting worse

Post by neilpilot » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

You've likely missed your chance to have the chip repaired BEFORE the spread you've reported. That would have likely been the low cost option.

The windshield will need to be replaced, and the obvious recourse is to consider using your insurance coverage if in fact you have coverage.
Last edited by neilpilot on Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

Replacing windshields are cheap and trivial nowadays. Easy to use Safelite or other auto glass place to deal with it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri May 31, 2019 1:47 pm

In Florida, by state statute, if you have comprehensive on your car the windshield will be repaired or replaced with zero deductible, as in free.

Cheers

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Find a local windshield place. They might even come to your work and replace it in the parking lot.

A chip is "fillable" a chip that cracked and spread across your windshield is not.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri May 31, 2019 1:57 pm

For future reference, you can get an easy DIY kit to fix a small chip yourself. Costs about $12 at the usual auto parts stores, and can fix a star or bullseye up to 1.25 inches in diameter. I did this myself the other week and had good results. Most importantly it prevents spreading. I would even be willing to try it on larger cracks up to 3" probably.

If you do a good job (watch the ChrisFix video about chipped windshields on youtube for extra good tips) you cannot even see the chip anymore.

You could, in a real pinch, try buying "UV glass resin" and fixing a large crack yourself. Past a certain crack size growth probably cannot be stopped.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

Topic Author
doss

Post by doss » Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks, guys.

I did the online quote with safelite and got a quote of $230 for a total replacement (out of pocket) as I don't have comprehensive coverage on my car (car paid off for a while and not worth much) . Does $230 sound like a reasonable price?

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Fri May 31, 2019 2:23 pm

doss wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 pm
Thanks, guys.

I did the online quote with safelite and got a quote of $230 for a total replacement (out of pocket) as I don't have comprehensive coverage on my car (car paid off for a while and not worth much) . Does $230 sound like a reasonable price?
It sounds a little high but not unreasonable. A little over a year ago I paid $175 for a 2004 Accord windshield (in the Denver metro area)

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 pm

doss wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:18 pm
Thanks, guys.

Does the quote include installation at your home or place of work or would you be taking it to their shop? I've had a couple chips filled in and there's an up-charge for them to come out and do it at home (or work). For a full installation, I'd much prefer they do it at their own shop since as I'd imagine surrounding conditions could effect the install and curing of adhesives (the same probably goes for chip repair too).

My most recent replacement was nearly $1000 earlier this year, but this was OEM glass per Subaru spec, at a dealership, and included a re-calibration of my Eyesight system; I have comprehensive, but a $500 deductible so I was still quite a bit out of pocket.

KT785

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri May 31, 2019 2:39 pm

If it is any consolation once you get it replaced you will likely realize how pitted your old windshield was and you will see a lot better especially at night or when you are driving into the sun. It will vary but I have heard of people getting their windshields replaced when they were maybe 15(?) years old even when they were not cracked just because they get so pitted.

nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer » Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm

You'll likely need to replace it. Just be aware that for windshield replacements, the OEM glass is often thicker and hence quieter. That may or may not be worth the price premium to you. Generally cheaper to have someone other than the dealer do the actual labor to replace it.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:04 pm

nerdymarketer wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:50 pm
You'll likely need to replace it. Just be aware that for windshield replacements, the OEM glass is often thicker and hence quieter. That may or may not be worth the price premium to you. Generally cheaper to have someone other than the dealer do the actual labor to replace it.
Agree re: OEM vs. aftermarket glass, though given the age of the car and likely price difference, I'd go aftermarket in this case. I had to use OEM because of EyeSight since Subaru can't guarantee the optics of aftermarket glass. I've had aftermarket glass in prior cars without issue, though in my wife's previous car, I noticed visual distortion through the windshield--this was only in the passenger seat and she said she never had an issue driving it.

KT785

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:24 pm

doss wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:38 pm
i have a 2008 Ford Focus with a chip on the windshield that is getting out of control. Almost halfway through the entire window. As I've never had to deal with this, anyone have any advice on how I can get the problem fixed at a reasonable price and/or what to avoid?
do you have coverage for it with your insurance company, I think mine is like $100 to replace the entire windshield. And if it is smaller than a quarter they come to your job and fill it in for free.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri May 31, 2019 3:40 pm

doss wrote:
Replace the windshield asap.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri May 31, 2019 4:08 pm

Some states you can get a ticket for a large enough crack in the windshield. You need to get it fixed.

Too bad your insurance doesn't cover it, but now you get to spend some of the $ you saved.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri May 31, 2019 4:20 pm

doss wrote:
1.) Check your insurance coverage. Do you have a low/zero comprehensive glass coverage? Use it. Insurance companies generally want you to be able to see well, so you won't get dinged for this.

2.) Get it replaced by a competent glass company. There are plenty in most areas. Shop around if price is an issue. I suggest requesting OEM glass, others do not. Don't take it to a dealer, who will likely contract it out to a glass company anyway. Note that the glass company will likely need to break the old window to get it out. Ensure your car is clean to make it easy for them. Ask if they can transfer any stickers (e.g. state inspection, registration, etc) to the new window.

3.) I prefer shops where you take it to them and they do the work in a controlled environment. In a pinch, there are services that come to you and do it in your driveway, parking lot, wherever. Note that shops tell you can drive immediately because they use heat to cure the glue. The windshield and car manuals will tell you not to drive for 24 hours to allow the heated glue to cure properly. This is a huge issue if you are in an accident during that time, because the windshield is a major part of the integrity of the car and crashworthiness, so avoid driving as much as possible for a day.

4.) Enjoy the new chip-free, crack-free, and pit-free windshield. It is amazing how much clearer a brand new windshield is over an old one that has seen many highway miles.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 pm

We just called our insurance company today when we noticed a crack (about 12" long). Maybe from hail courtesy of one of the bad thunderstorms that rolled through this past week? We have a $100 deductible on comprehensive. Our insurance has an association with Safelite, so I just called them and started a claim and they set up the appointment for Safelite to come to our house.
The quote came to around $400 for replacing the windshield (non-eyesight).
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.