SiriusXM Free Trial [on my new car] Ends Today

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PalmQueen

SiriusXM Free Trial [on my new car] Ends Today

Post by PalmQueen » Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am

The trial SiriusXM subscription that came with my new car ends today.
I know I could get by just fine without continuing it, but enjoy it enough to be willing to pay a reasonable amount to subscribe.

Of the offers received so far, $99 for the first year seems the best.
Of course, at the end of the year it auto-renews at the current rate.

If I do nothing today and let it lapse, do the offers get better?

bloom2708

Re: SiriusXM Free Trial Ends Today

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:56 am

You will keep getting offers. Calls and mailings.

$5/month for 6 or 12 months seems to be the best offer I get for the "Select" music only package.

Subscriptions have now been out of service for almost a year on both cars. With phones/bluetooth, we don't miss it.

I can play Pandora or Apple Music and my stations/playlists.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri May 31, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 am

What do you get for $99? I got the All Access package for that price which includes streaming from computers and smartphones. That was the best offer for All Access and I went without the radio for an extended time. ( I also got a free Echo Dot but that was a special promotion.) Also know that the actual price is about 20-25% more than the quoted price once taxes and fees are added.

My best offer for Select was the $5 a month offer.
Last edited by Katietsu on Fri May 31, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GetMeToRetirement

Post by GetMeToRetirement » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 am

If you hold off until late December, they'll send a $5/mo for 12 mos offer via email (or at least they have for the last two years). I think that's for the Select package. So far I have resisted temptation and instead listen to FM or downloaded podcasts via bluetooth.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 am

PalmQueen wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am
I know I could get by just fine without continuing it, but enjoy it enough to be willing to pay a reasonable amount to subscribe.

Yes, the offers will get much better than that. $5/month for Select is their current unadvertised rate, until they start flooding your inbox and mailbox with it. Previously, it was $4.16/month or so. Beware expensive auto-renew prices! This is an excellent time to use one time credit card numbers or Sirius XM gift cards. Or just remember to call as soon as your price period expires. Call too early, and they will start a new subscription or end the existing one. Call too late and they will have already charged--which is still okay because you can get that fixed, but more hassle. There's already plenty of existing information/threads on this website about Sirius XM pricing and how to get the best offer if you want their service.

You will still receive most channels through June 4, 2019 because Sirius XM (most channels) is free for everyone several times a year, including now.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri May 31, 2019 9:41 am

PalmQueen wrote:

That's pretty much the deal unless you want to opt out of a few channels ..... I cancel at each subscription end and get the deal being offered to keep service. It generally is around $99 a year although I think the last was a 6 month deal with a couple of fewer stations at about $50 for six months. Will have to cancel that one a few days before expiration.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri May 31, 2019 10:38 am

Katietsu wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 am
What do you get for $99? I got the All Access package for that price which includes streaming from computers and smartphones. That was the best offer for All Access and I went without the radio for an extended time. ( I also got a free Echo Dot but that was a special promotion.) Also know that the actual price is about 20-25% more than the quoted price once taxes and fees are added.

I called yesterday to cancel. I told them I could only afford $99 a year and then said ok. Right at the end, they offered all access with streaming and free echo Dot for only $20 more. I declined. I have no need for streaming nor am echo Dot.

teamDE

Re: SiriusXM Free Trial [on my new car] Ends Today

Post by teamDE » Fri May 31, 2019 1:21 pm

Another option is to get the digital/streaming subscription to use your phone. I really like Sirius, particularly the SiriusXMU indie rock channel. My grip with satellite is that the sound quality is really bad. By going with the streaming plan, you can access the music everywhere (phones, home, TV, Alexa speakers, etc), you get more content (lots of extra channels on streaming), and MUCH better sound quality.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri May 31, 2019 1:31 pm

You will probably get periodic offers of a month or so of free listening. No credit card or commitment required.

I take advantage of these when they come. No interest in actually paying for the service.

Topic Author
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Katietsu wrote:

It's the "Select" package, which I now understand from reading these responses, isn't All Access.
Thanks! Very helpful.

Topic Author
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri May 31, 2019 1:35 pm

teamDE wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:21 pm
Another option is to get the digital/streaming subscription to use your phone. I really like Sirius, particularly the SiriusXMU indie rock channel. My grip with satellite is that the sound quality is really bad. By going with the streaming plan, you can access the music everywhere (phones, home, TV, Alexa speakers, etc), you get more content (lots of extra channels on streaming), and MUCH better sound quality.
Thanks. I definitely want the digital/streaming subscription, which I think is what the trial I've been on includes.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. All very helpful information.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 am
Or just remember to call as soon as your price period expires.
Call too early, and they will start a new subscription or end the existing one.
Call too late and they will have already charged--which is still okay because you can get that fixed, but more hassle.
I haven't found this to be true.

With Sirius (and all auto-renewal services), I call them the day after I set up service.
Simply tell them I want to cancel my service after my current term is up (i.e. cancel the auto-renewal).

This way, I don't have to remember to call to cancel in 6 or 12 months.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm

researcher wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:53 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Call too late and they will have already charged--which is still okay because you can get that fixed, but more hassle.

With Sirius (and all auto-renewal services), I call them the day after I set up service.
Simply tell them I want to cancel my service after my current term is up (i.e. cancel the auto-renewal).

Yes, that's an option ---I suggested recently in one of the many similar Sirius threads here. You can contact Sirius in advance to get off of auto-renewal.

But it IS true that if you let it auto renew, the price will likely be higher and if you call to renew early (even by a few days) they will cancel your existing deal for whatever you get then.

Frankly, it's just easier to use a one time payment method so there is no auto-renew. Done.

Topic Author
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm
researcher wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

Yes, that's an option ---I suggested recently in one of the many similar Sirius threads here. You can contact Sirius in advance to get off of auto-renewal.

But it IS true that if you let it auto renew, the price will likely be higher and if you call to renew early (even by a few days) they will cancel your existing deal for whatever you get then.

Frankly, it's just easier to use a one time payment method so there is no auto-renew. Done.
I agree a one time payment method is cleaner all around.
Do you just buy a VISA, MC or AMEX gift card to use?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 pm

PalmQueen wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm
researcher wrote:
criticalmass wrote:

I agree a one time payment method is cleaner all around.
Do you just buy a VISA, MC or AMEX gift card to use?
I would use a virtual credit card number from Bank of America or Citibank. If you don’t have a credit account with either, just use a Sirius XM gift card with the amount of your choice.

Topic Author
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Fri May 31, 2019 7:04 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 pm
I would use a virtual credit card number from Bank of America or Citibank. If you don’t have a credit account with either, just use a Sirius XM gift card with the amount of your choice.
I never knew that was an option. Thanks!

Edited to add-
criticalmass: Sorry I didn't use the abbreviated quote function correctly.
[Further update: quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri May 31, 2019 8:42 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:55 pm

just use a Sirius XM gift card with the amount of your choice.
How is this easier than simply calling an hour or a day after you initially set up service and say "cancel the auto renewal". Done.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri May 31, 2019 9:41 pm

Since 2008 I’ve renewed at the lower 5, 6 or12 month rate. I’ve always paid with a check. In the past they would tack on a $1 invoice fee, but I think that no longer happens. Either way I prefer not to give them a cc#.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:53 am

I have been doing the $24.99/5 month plan for quite a few years now. It actually comes out to about $30. when they add in music royality fee and taxes. Whenever I renew I just put a reminder in my phone for the day before it auto renews. I call to cancel. They ask why. I say price. They say we can give you the same plan for just a few dollars more. I say same price or cancel. They cave. Rinse and repeat.
Unfortunately this is the way the world is beginning to operate. I recently noticed my yearly newspaper subscription was creeping up to almost $400. per year. I cancelled. In the next couple of weeks I received multiple phone calls with the last call offering $39.95/year, one time payment, no auto renew.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 am

I got a "Free Trial" (that I didn't ask for) with the car I bought in March.
Apparently the dealer gave them my address and phone number. They have been sending me periodic mailers and calling me roughly every other day (I can see the missed calls). Usually I don't answer, but when I do they're VERY aggressive with their sales pitch. When I tell them I don't use it and don't want it, they offer to "extend my free trial" since I haven't been using it to give me a chance. They won't let me off the phone no matter how much I tell them I'm not interested. I end up getting frustrated and curtly telling them I don't use it, don't want it, please stop calling me, and hang up.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Personally, I hated Sirius XM. I tried it once with my free trial period with new car, then again a few months later at the super cheap $5/month... still cancelled it. There must be specific channels that other people like, or talk radio, but the music I preferred tended to be the dregs or every single bad song in that genre, mixed in with lots of obnoxious chatter. I found that ripping all my old CD's to a USB drive, then just popping that in gave me exactly what I wanted - all my favorite tunes, no commercials, endlessly looping, free forever. And now I can get rid of shelves of CDs! I put each genre on one USB stick and labelled them. I even have one for Christmas!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

gclancer

Post by gclancer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Katietsu wrote:
What do you get for $99? I got the All Access package for that price which includes streaming from computers and smartphones.
If you don’t mind haggling this is the approach I take. I have SiriusXM in my spouses car and then use Bluetooth to stream it through my phone in mine so it ends up being two for the price of one. I love haggling with SiriusXM cause they’re willing to engage unlike other service providers.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:34 pm

gclancer wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 pm
Katietsu wrote:
What do you get for $99? I got the All Access package for that price which includes streaming from computers and smartphones.
If you don’t mind haggling this is the approach I take. I have SiriusXM in my spouses car and then use Bluetooth to stream it through my phone in mine so it ends up being two for the price of one. I love haggling with SiriusXM cause they’re willing to engage unlike other service providers.
When I first started using XM in my 2008 VUE, I never paid anything but the "intro" rate and would call every 6 months or so to "renew". After maybe 4 years of biannual "haggling" I started a different tack. Now I call 866-635-2349, a number that seems to get me directly thru to retention, and simple start by saying something like "I call every 6 months since 2008. Give me the best price now or I will cancel. I don't want to spend any of our time haggling". It's usually a very quick call, no haggling. I keep notes, and only once in the past 13 calls did the XM rep not immediately give me a decent rate, typically $5/mo. He wanted to haggle, so I said "OK, then cancel since I don't want to haggle". I went without for about 2 weeks, and then they called and offered that $5/mo.

Topic Author
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Thank you for sharing your strategies and experiences.
Great variety and creative ideas here!

For now, I'm in a holding pattern. I expect I'll get on the intro rate merry-go-round once I sort out what tactic I want to use that doesn't involve a regular credit card number.

Meanwhile, I'll roll with my personal music collection.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:19 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 am
I got a "Free Trial" (that I didn't ask for) with the car I bought in March.
Apparently the dealer gave them my address and phone number. They have been sending me periodic mailers and calling me roughly every other day (I can see the missed calls). Usually I don't answer, but when I do they're VERY aggressive with their sales pitch. When I tell them I don't use it and don't want it, they offer to "extend my free trial" since I haven't been using it to give me a chance. They won't let me off the phone no matter how much I tell them I'm not interested. I end up getting frustrated and curtly telling them I don't use it, don't want it, please stop calling me, and hang up.
Setup an account online using your Radio ID. Then change the number on your account to a non-working phone number. If you can't find one, set your account's phone number to 866-635-2349. Problem solved: no more phone calls.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am

PalmQueen wrote:

Call them and tell them you want to renew but it’s too expensive. Get the intro rate of 6 months for $25. Then, before it expires, call and tell them you want to cancel. Keep saying no to offers until they give you the intro rate again.

I did that for SEVEN YEARS. 😊

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:33 am

bck63 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am

Call them and tell them you want to renew but it’s too expensive. Get the intro rate of 6 months for $25. Then, before it expires, call and tell them you want to cancel. Keep saying no to offers until they give you the intro rate again.

as previously posted, I'm past 11 years on my VUE......

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:33 am
bck63 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:38 am

as previously posted, I'm past 11 years on my VUE......
:sharebeer

I didn't read every post. Rarely have time for that.