How to remove minor scratches from Manufactured Hardwood floors:

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nowizard

How to remove minor scratches from Manufactured Hardwood floors:

Post by Nowizard » Thu May 30, 2019 5:50 pm

From what I can discern, Manufactured and Engineered Hardwood are different terms for the same thing and differ from Laminate floors. The difference is that the former have a layer of actual wood at the top level and can be refinished once or twice depending on thickness, while laminate cannot be refinished.
We purchased a 3 1/2 year-old home with Manufactured floors. Though in excellent overall condition, there are a number of minor scratches. Cleaning with a wet Swiffer or sponge does not improve things, and furniture markers do not adhere. Wax markers do not work either. How are minor scratches repaired, or is this not possible?

Tim

JBTX

Re: How to remove minor scratches from Manufactured Hardwood floors:

Post by JBTX » Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Minwax 63485000 Wood Finish Stain Marker, Early American https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DI7ZI/re ... 8CbYCZAGQV

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about but they work pretty well on our engineered wood dark floor. For larger scuffs you may need to reapply after it dries.

Grantley

Post by Grantley » Thu May 30, 2019 7:11 pm

If the markers do not adhere, it may be that you need to apply something like a stain (minwax or similar) or even a stain within a polyurethane finish, like Minwax Polyshades. I would try the stain first. Wipe off any excess outside of the scratches immediately so that the stain / polyshades is only in the grooves of the scratched portions.

If the scratches are numerous over larger areas, it could be tough to fix this.

Topic Author
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri May 31, 2019 7:48 am

The Minwax stain marker does not appear to adhere and has been tried. Odd that it does not work, but we have always had true hardwood in the past.

Tim

OAG

Post by OAG » Fri May 31, 2019 6:57 pm

Shoe Polish - Applied by hand. Has worked for me in the past on dark stained flooring.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Fri May 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Try rubbling a walnut kernel on the scratch. Seriously. When I worked a job moving furniture, we kept a small bag of walnuts in the cab of the truck and if we unfortunately scratched a hardwood floor during our moving process (ahem upright pianos ahem), in almost every case it did the trick with its oils. Would just have to sweep or brush away the little bit of resultant crumbly nutmeat.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri May 31, 2019 9:08 pm

Try rubbling a walnut kernel on the scratch.
I did this on our engineered HR floors and it worked!
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri May 31, 2019 9:11 pm

Try rubbling a walnut kernel on the scratch.
I did this on our engineered HR floors, last year, and it worked!

:sharebeer
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am

I just tried the walnut trick on our factory finished 3/4" oak and it worked great.
As far as your manufactured hardwood goes the top layer could be as thin as .11". I assume the scratches do not go through this. If they do the fixes may not adhere to the substrate. Is it possible the scratches just contain wax or some other floor finish that the fixes won't adhere to? Try cleaning one of them with some isopropyl alcohol, let it dry and see if that makes a difference.

dognose

Post by dognose » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:20 pm

Buy a bottle of Old English scratch repair. Start with the light stain, which works like a charm on my manufactured hardwood floors. Within seconds, the scratches disappear. I’ve been using it for years and my floors look like new.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm

You're stuck with trying to mask the scratches, as others have mentioned.

Refinishing - if you mean sanding & revarnishing - is very difficult with manufactured floors. The finish they put on them is fairly hard, plus there's not much thickness to the actual hardwood. One finish standard has 5 levels, increasing in hardness from 1 to 5 - first 3 are residential; last 2 are commercial. I looked into engineered hardwood at one point. Most products are going to fade over time and have the problems with scratches; scratches may be less of a problem if you go with a harder finish. Even the less hard finishes are still pretty hard & you end up going through a lot of sanding strips. After reading a lot of reviews, I came to the conclusion that most people are unhappy with these products after 10 years. Given how expensive they are (plus most people pay to have them installed), that seemed unacceptable to me. I also don't like the beveled edges that come with those products.

I installed engineered hardwood on a landing, with beveled edges - I got it for free, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have. It's fine for free, but I wouldn't have paid for it. I haven't noticed a lot of scratches (no shoes worn in the house).
Prior to this, as a bit of a learning experiment, I had installed a lower quality Shaw engineered hardwood (got at Habitat restore for fairly cheap) as a floor to a small walk-in closet (20 ft2). That stuff scratches quite a bit.

For other areas, I went with laminate. Mohawk makes a high quality laminate product - level 4 hardness. Far better than the Pergo I installed in one area. It was priced fairly high normally, but I got it as a black Friday deal. The engineering quality of the Pergo is poor - the Mohawk is absolutely precise. The substrate of the Pergo laminate wasn't as good as the Mohawk & at times, it split; the Pergo click & lock edges weren't machined as precisely & you'd sometimes get these microbubbles forming when locking the pieces together, which of course, eventually chip. I had none of those problems with the Mohawk. Plus Pergo hardness was either a 2 or 3, so have noticed more scratches. To chip the Mohawk, you have to do something like drop a heavy hammer on it; it's almost impossible to put scratches in it without using something metal and a lot of effort (dragging a heavy piece of furniture with something metal like a nail on the bottom might do it).