Cordless Drill: Bosch PS32-02 vs Makita FD07R1?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
need403bhelp

Cordless Drill: Bosch PS32-02 vs Makita FD07R1?

Post by need403bhelp » Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Good evening:

We are purchasing a home and I will need to do a few things around the house. I am not very handy, but am trying to become more so. As such, I would like to buy a good drill that I can "grow" into and that will last for several years. I do have an immediate use for it already (bought some downspouts extensions and would like to screw them into the downspout to avoid them becoming dislodged in a major storm). Based on consumer reports ratings, I am deciding between:

Bosch 12-V PS32-02 https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Brushless- ... B00HUCUF4W

and

Makita FD07R1 https://www.amazon.com/Makita-FD07R1-Li ... B01DKCE4C4

I am leaning towards the PS32-02 based on the larger number of reviews and higher fakespot rating of the reviews, but I'd love to know if anyone has any experience with either of these drills and, if so, their recommendations.

Thank you so much!

Normchad

Re: Cordless Drill: Bosch PS32-02 vs Makita FD07R1?

Post by Normchad » Wed May 29, 2019 9:35 pm

I’ve had a similar Makita for over ten years. It’s been amazing. I can not say enough good things about it.

The impact-drive action is huge, and ensures you can drive very large screws easily, without stripping out the heads. Would recommend it to anybody.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 pm

This wasn't listed, but Ryobi has a ton of tools in their 18V system. Certainly good enough for the casual homeowner.

Off the top of my head I've bought the following over the last 2 years, along with 4 batteries to run it all (variety of battery sizes)

2 Drills
Driver
Sawzall
Circular saw
Angle grinder
Blower
Shrub trimmer
10 foot chainsaw / tree trimmer
floor sweeper
utility vacuum
flashlight
inflator (great for air mattresses and tubes)

Probably forgetting a few, but I do tend to use all of them from time to time in weekend projects.

Anyway, if you're going to invest in batteries you might as well pick a system with tools you will use. I've had Makita stuff before and it's great (still have a corded Makita circular saw) but really for me the value is having a variety of useful tools. Going to replace my corded string trimmer next - since I already have the batteries it will be $40 or $50.

falconsfan

Post by falconsfan » Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Take a look at the Milwaukee M12 series. Very well reviewed and smaller form means easier to handle. There will be some great deals around Father’s Day.

stungerz

Post by stungerz » Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Here are my thoughts... Makita and Bosch make great tools. So does dewalt, hitachi, Milwaukee. You’ll do great with either of them.

I would take a look into getting a kit that has at least a drill and driver. It’s pretty annoying to swap between drill bits for pilot holes and other bits for screwing. Also, brushless is nice and expensive but probably not needed.

I ended up getting a Milwaukee non brushless 5 tool (drill, driver, circular saw, sawzall) from Home Depot. I love it!

White Oak

Post by White Oak » Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 pm

I recommend the 12V Bosch. I have a larger Ryobi 18V drill and an impact driver, but the 12V Bosch is plenty for most jobs around the house. And the small size makes it easy to handle and fit in tight spaces. This was/is Wirecutter's pick for best drill.

If you aren't in a hurry, the drill and driver set typically goes on sale for $100 several times a year. This is for the older model, but the specs seem pretty similar.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GT0IWK/

If you think you'll want a bunch more cordless tools for around the house, you might go with the 18V Ryobi. They have a huge range of tools and gadgets compatible with that battery. They are not professional grade, but good enough for most homeowners.

But if you only want the drill and driver, I would go with the 12V Bosch.

z0r

Post by z0r » Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Between the two I would choose Bosch. but I'd recommend milwaukee M12 especially if you live near a home depot. They regularly sell the drill+driver kit for $200 with s bonus tool, in fact it's available now. You can also get Milwaukee on eBay at a discount. Given all the discounts if you're patient and the huge tool lineup, availability at depot, and high basic quality level I think they're the best choice.

for example:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M ... /305883843

note that Milwaukee has many different SKUs in categories like drills (they keep selling the old models when new ones come out) you don't necessarily want to get the cheapest Milwaukee version, do some research

I own a full Bosch 12V set, they're great especially ps21/ps22 1/4" driver which milwaukee doesn't have an answer for, and I'm switching to Milwaukee as the batteries wear out.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed May 29, 2019 10:18 pm

Not what you asked... I know, but since the thread has already gone down to offering other suggestions -
My local "Harbor Freight Outlet" has a 18V 3/8" Drill/Driver on sale for $29.99
Most of my tools sit around getting un-used for long periods of time. Even if this tool only lasted the 90 days of warranty, I could probably buy 5 of them over the years and make out better then buying premium tools. If i was using them daily, I would rethink the quality of tools I buy... but I know that's not anywhere near the use they'll see.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed May 29, 2019 10:49 pm

Nothing wrong with either brand. Don't overthink small purchases.

JT

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:41 am

need403bhelp wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 pm
I am leaning towards the PS32-02 based on the larger number of reviews and higher fakespot rating of the reviews, but I'd love to know if anyone has any experience with either of these drills and, if so, their recommendations.

Thank you so much!
Number of reviews tells you popularity, not quality. As actual ratings attest, both are very good brands. Fakespot tells you about potentially misleading reviews, but is mostly useful for unknown brands. I don't think you should rely on either method for this particular decision.

Both drills are good choices. The main differences are ergonomic due to the different battery pack styles. I think the best way to make your decision is to go to a store that has them on display so you can decide which one feels better. In general, the design of the Makita should be slightly better for applying higher torque and prolonged work, and the Bosch should be better for tight spaces.

I also like the Ryobi 18V system for homeowner level use, due to value for the money and the large variety of tools available, but you should be aware that it includes a mix of light duty and medium-duty tools.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 am

need403bhelp wrote:
Good evening:

We are purchasing a home and I will need to do a few things around the house. I am not very handy, but am trying to become more so. As such, I would like to buy a good drill that I can "grow" into and that will last for several years. I do have an immediate use for it already (bought some downspouts extensions and would like to screw them into the downspout to avoid them becoming dislodged in a major storm). Based on consumer reports ratings, I am deciding between:

and

Thank you so much!
Most of the pro builders I know have Makita. Its what I will be going for once my current craftsman set goes.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:41 am

stungerz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 pm
Here are my thoughts... Makita and Bosch make great tools. So does dewalt, hitachi, Milwaukee. You’ll do great with either of them.

I would take a look into getting a kit that has at least a drill and driver. It’s pretty annoying to swap between drill bits for pilot holes and other bits for screwing. Also, brushless is nice and expensive but probably not needed.

I ended up getting a Milwaukee non brushless 5 tool (drill, driver, circular saw, sawzall) from Home Depot. I love it!
Agree. Lots of good brands. Had a DeWalt for about 15 years and it was great. Bought a Hitachi a few years ago and it is also great. Any of the ones listed above will be good. Probably my most used tool when we moved into our new house. Used for everything from window blinds to deck repair.

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 am

I think at today's prices, an 18 V system is a better value, unless you have a good reason to go 12 V (where light weight and slightly smaller size are large advantages). A 18 V drill/impact driver combo is a good place to start. If you ever do any deck building you will be happy to have 18 V.

fire5soon

Post by fire5soon » Thu May 30, 2019 7:28 am

Never used Bosch but have a Makita router that has served me very well. Also check out the Milwaukee M18 series.

On a side note, also consider getting a 1/4" impact driver. If you're driving screws of any length you will be amazed how much easier life is with an impact driver versus a regular drill. It's a night & day difference.

On a second side note, don't be afraid of Harbor Freight tools. They can be hit or miss, but I've generally had great success with them. I've only had one tool from HF die quickly and the replacement I exchanged it for has worked well. All the rest have performed admirably considering the price point and I don't have expectations that I'll be passing the tools down to my kids in 30 years...
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 am

need403bhelp wrote:
Good evening:

and

Thank you so much!
I have used the Makita drill you linked for a job where we used them all day long and would highly recommend it over the bosch simply because it has 100 in lbs more torque than the bosch. Having that extra torque can come in really handy at times on home projects and I find that drivers that are constantly used at the high end of the torque range deplete their batteries much faster than a higher torque drill that is more in the middle of its range.

I also like Bosch and have a number of their products but between these two, I would go Makita.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 am

20V system.
You won't regret it.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Thu May 30, 2019 8:11 am

I have used Makita for decades and have been happy with their system, but any of Dewalt, Milwaukee and the other quality brands named above are good choices. Over time, you'll accumulate other tools and so you're really selecting a system now, based around the battery. When I was young, I bought Harbor Freight quality power tools and found I ended up replacing them too quickly as they stopped working.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu May 30, 2019 8:20 am

tyrion wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:45 pm
This wasn't listed, but Ryobi has a ton of tools in their 18V system. Certainly good enough for the casual homeowner.

Off the top of my head I've bought the following over the last 2 years, along with 4 batteries to run it all (variety of battery sizes)

2 Drills
Driver
Sawzall
Circular saw
Angle grinder
Blower
Shrub trimmer
10 foot chainsaw / tree trimmer
floor sweeper
utility vacuum
flashlight
inflator (great for air mattresses and tubes)

Probably forgetting a few, but I do tend to use all of them from time to time in weekend projects.

Anyway, if you're going to invest in batteries you might as well pick a system with tools you will use. I've had Makita stuff before and it's great (still have a corded Makita circular saw) but really for me the value is having a variety of useful tools. Going to replace my corded string trimmer next - since I already have the batteries it will be $40 or $50.
I would definitely consider Ryobi for light duty home use.

z0r

Post by z0r » Thu May 30, 2019 10:56 am

The 10.8/"12"V brushless tools of today are adequate for 95% of jobs. The lighter weight and compact size makes them the go to and then the 18/"20"V tools are only a backup, if you have both. If someone is willing to only buy newer high power 10.8/"12"V stuff it could easily be the only thing needed.

I suspect some of you are a few years out of date on this, power levels have advanced very quickly especially the milwaukee "12"V.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:03 am

I will also suggest the Milwaukee series of screw guns and impact drivers.

I rehab homes and was given some Milwaukee stuff from an old partner who retired. I instantly loved them and use all Milwaukee.

M12 and M18 series. Lights are amazing. Impact driver and screw guns work like drilling through butter.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:03 am

I like Makita a lot for my drill/driver. Works great - agree with the others about other brands being good too (Dewalt/Milwaukee etc)

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Fri May 31, 2019 12:40 am

There's probably too much in the tool world to cover in a single post.

Basically, for light use around the home, just about anything mentioned in this thread works fine. If you're a buy-it-for-life sort of person, there are definite tiers of manufacturers (or at least the tool gurus on the internet seem to think so). The general consensus I've seen is that Makita, Bosch, Festool, and Hilti are top tier (there's a few smaller ones too I've seen listed). Milwaukee is generally mid-tier. Bottom tier are things like Cobalt, Rigid, etc. There's also a tier under that, which is basically cheap crap (Black & Decker, Craftsman, etc). The thing is, for most home use, which is often very light, even the cheap crap could last as long and perform as well as the more expensive stuff. In addition, some of the stuff not in the top tiers has some nice lifetime warranties. Rigid (which you're likely to see and get warranty work done at via Home Depot) for example, even on their batteries if I recall (assuming you register or such).

Based on my own research, my conclusions on the matter boiled down to the following options -
- If I intended to take on some more in-depth work (such as building a boat or such) or create an entire ecosystem (ie chainsaw on the batteries, etc), I'd probably look at Makita. They aren't the most expensive, but they're something in use by a ton of professionals. My impression was that it's the sweet spot of tough/quality and price.
- I could just go with lifetime warranty stuff, which Rigid is probably easiest due to Home Depots. They're probably fine for most non-pro use (and I've read pros who use) and if I ever have an (unlikely) problem, I just rely on the lifetime warranty.
- I could buy cheaper and just wear it out (which it may never really do). Ie, I alrady own a 20v Craftsman power tool set. If I ever kill it, I can upgrade, or replace with cheap - I'm probably still ahead cost-wise with the latter option even.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:38 am

Suggest you take a look at RIDGID at Home Depot. They offer a free lifetime warranty on the Drill, Charger, AND Batteries. The battery warranty is great, as replacement batteries usually cost almost as much as a new drill.

I've had a RIDGID drill for about 5 years now, and it has been very reliable.

m

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:23 am

We bought the Makita 18V Subcompact driver/drill set. Very happy with it. It's the perfect size. Bought a factory refurb model and paid less than half of retail. https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/CX200RB

nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer » Fri May 31, 2019 2:45 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:05 am
20V system.
You won't regret it.
j :happy
The 20V systems are pure marketing--they are the same as the other 18V systems: https://woodworkjunkie.com/18v-vs-20v-c ... -a-gimmick

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:20 pm

I have that exact Bosch drill. It's fine as a tool for the average home owner. I just used it to replace a lock. It also sees use when it's time to replace deck boards. Only negative is removing the battery can be difficult.

Topic Author
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:17 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 am
need403bhelp wrote:
Good evening:

and

Thank you so much!
I have used the Makita drill you linked for a job where we used them all day long and would highly recommend it over the bosch simply because it has 100 in lbs more torque than the bosch. Having that extra torque can come in really handy at times on home projects and I find that drivers that are constantly used at the high end of the torque range deplete their batteries much faster than a higher torque drill that is more in the middle of its range.

I also like Bosch and have a number of their products but between these two, I would go Makita.
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts. I decided to go for the Makita. However, when it comes to buying the bit set, I am confused. Amazon recommends this bit set:

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-T-01725-C ... op?ie=UTF8

However, the reviews seem pretty bad. However, I don't understand what other bit set (ideally including both drill bits and driver bits, or at least two separate sets) I should buy for the Makita FD07R1, or even what my options are (e.g., can I buy the impact gold ones even though this is not an impact driver?).

Thank you!!!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:09 pm

You can use impact rated bits in a regular drill.

Gold drill bits are usually titanium nitride (TiN) coated for wear resistance and lower friction, so they don't get as hot drilling hard materials, cut a little cleaner, and hold their edge better. Cheap TiN coatings sometimes flake off. For homeowner use, black oxide coated drill bits are usually fine.

I've never seen gold impact rated bits. Impact rated driver bits are black oxide coated because that coating doesn't embrittle the hardened steel they are made out of like many others do.

I rather like impact rated driver bits because they hold really well.

I generally just get Home Depot's Ryobi brand kits due to really good pricing on large sets of decent quality bits.

Don't overthink the bit sets. My main advice is to get a set(s) with plenty of sizes of drill bits. A lot of smaller kits only have the most common sizes, but every now and then, you will wish you had a bit in between two sizes.

pennylane

Post by pennylane » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 pm

I have the Milwaukee M18 series. You’ll buy it and never have to replace.

You can go for the M12 as well, small and they are powerful as all.

I’d strongly consider Milwaukee.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:41 pm

For casual homeowner diy projects I personally use and recommend buying Home Depot's Ryobi brand multi tool kits, due to really good pricing and excellent value. They will hold up just fine under light to medium use by homeowner.

I do a lot of volunteer work building houses for local charity, the power tools get extremely heavy use, and there we use almost all Hitachi or Dewalt power tools (20 volt).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:29 pm

I too am a Ryobi convert. I once purchased what I thought were the 'best' tools. Then I found Ryobi which I discovered to be the best value by far. I began with a 6 pc. starter kit well over ten years ago and have used it extensively - far beyond what a typical homeowner ever would. I still have and use every original tool and have added a multitude more to my collection. All I've purchased other than the tools is a 6 port battery charger and replacement batteries every 4-5 years.

If you go with Ryobi the time to buy them is either during Father's day or Christmas promotional periods at Home Depot.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify. And while you're at it, ignore the noise!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:48 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Don't overthink the bit sets. My main advice is to get a set(s) with plenty of sizes of drill bits. A lot of smaller kits only have the most common sizes, but every now and then, you will wish you had a bit in between two sizes.
+1

OP: I prefer to get a dedicated set of spade bits, one of drill bits, one of torx bits, etc. When you get a kit like the one the you linked too, you will never have the odd size bit you need for those inevitable home projects that come along. Plus, if I am doing say repeated boring through two by studs to route a cable, I have the ability to use say the 11/16 spade bit for that and keep my 1/2" spade bit nice and sharp for more limited use when I really need a nice 1/2" diameter hole. Eventually you may get enough use out of it that you will do what I do and buy a large box of drill bits that contains a dozen or more of every bit size so when one in your small portable kit becomes dull or breaks, you can just pop in a new one from the large box. Some of my friends will just struggle with the one dull bit in their kit or throw the entire kit away and go get another one.