Good small SUV or AWD sedan recs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chw

Good small SUV or AWD sedan recs

Post by chw »

Hello fellow BHs! My dear daughter recently hit a deer and totalled her 15 yo Camry :(, but very fortunately she came thru the accident without a scratch. The Camry was a good city (Boston) car for her, as it was parked on the street, had a few dings, and wasn't a big deal if a few more came along. Now that the Camry is gone after many years of faithful service, my daughter is thinking of getting a new auto with AWD to assist with the snowy drives to work in the winter (she is a nurse). Budget is likely around 25K, and she is open to either new or used AWD sedans or small SUV/Crossovers. This car will be parked on a relatively quiet side street in the city, so not looking to spend mega bucks on a luxury vehicle. Average mileage driven in a year is 6-10,000 miles.

Subaru Crosstrek is currently on my daughter's radar, but she is open to other suggestions.

Thank you for any recommendations!
Winston19

Re: Good small SUV or AWD sedan recs

Post by Winston19 »

The new Mazda 3 can be had with AWD in sedan and hatch form.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

For 25k she should be able to find something just off lease with around 20k miles. I just got a '17 Ford Escape for about 20k before tax and fees (not AWD, so that would have probably been about 1.5k more).

I would recommend looking at something more in the compact SUV market (CR-V, Rav4, Forester) vs a subcompact like a Crosstrek (or HRV, CHR). Those have way more space and better interiors for not much more. If you don't need that space, a Ford Fusion would be your best bet for a sedan with AWD.
Last edited by MichCPA on Wed May 29, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

Winston19 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:27 pm The new Mazda 3 can be had with AWD in sedan and hatch form.
That is a good option as well, personally a Mazda 3 hatch AWD would be above a subcompact SUV on my list.
researcher

Post by researcher »

I agree with the Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD suggestions.
Given what you are looking for, I think it is the most compelling and best car for the money.

The redesigned Nissan Altima AWD might also be worth a look.
It has gotten very positive reviews.

Personally not a fan of Subaru and I wouldn't move up to an SUV in her situation.
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

I'm very happy with my VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion. also comes in Alltrack form if you want it to look a little more rugged. The 4Motion Golfs come with the DSG transmission and drivetrain from the Golf R/S3 so its quite robust. Great utility, good gas mileage, very fun to drive.

I'd also look at the Mazda options.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A brand new Crosstrek premium is easily in the $25k range out the door and with some negotiating, a limited likely will hit that. In Boston, the Crosstrek will be far easier to maneuver than a Camry. I would highly recommend snow tires so she can increase her laughter as she drives around stuck Explorers.

If used, $25k buys a year old Legacy Limited quite easily. We bought one last summer and paid $22k. Legacys drop in value like a Camry would....not like WRX/Crosstrek/Imprezas act, holding their value for too long to consider them used.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Stay with Toyota.

RAV4. I have a 2012 model and love the car.
Topic Author
chw

Post by chw »

Thanks for the recommendations so far- will take a look at the Mazda 3!

Any thoughts on the Prius AWD? Stumbled across it today, and thought it might be a good option for a city sedan, awd option, and good fuel economy.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

chw wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm Thanks for the recommendations so far- will take a look at the Mazda 3!

Any thoughts on the Prius AWD? Stumbled across it today, and thought it might be a good option for a city sedan, awd option, and good fuel economy.
I have heard from at least 3 people that the tires wreck the winter handling and it has issues with routine snow drifts left by plows. No personal experience though.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

chw wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm Thanks for the recommendations so far- will take a look at the Mazda 3!

It is new this year. I am not completely understanding it’s AWD - under 7 MPH - it is AWD, between 7 and 30 MPH it continues with some powering of the rear wheels but not true AWD and then over 30 MPH it is solely FWD. The RWD has a separate battery pack that powers it and there is no gas engine powering of the rear wheels. That is what I make from the Toyota website combined with reviews from car blogs. Hope that helps...

I also second the RAV4 hybrid AWD - used should be had for that price range. JMO though...
Topic Author
chw

Post by chw »

anil686 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm

It is new this year. I am not completely understanding it’s AWD - under 7 MPH - it is AWD, between 7 and 30 MPH it continues with some powering of the rear wheels but not true AWD and then over 30 MPH it is solely FWD. The RWD has a separate battery pack that powers it and there is no gas engine powering of the rear wheels. That is what I make from the Toyota website combined with reviews from car blogs. Hope that helps...

I also second the RAV4 hybrid AWD - used should be had for that price range. JMO though...
Interesting comments about the power to the rear wheels only at low speeds. Generally, the AWD ar lower speeds may be ok for mostly city driving, but that could be a significant issue. Probably best to wait for the next model year to see how the AWD for buyers using the for snowy conditions.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I'm very happy with my Mazda CX-5. Probably would need to go to a year or two old to get one for $25k (or very stripped new one). The reviews are very good and it was on Consumer Reports list of top 10 reliable vehicles.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

chw wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:37 pm
anil686 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Interesting comments about the power to the rear wheels only at low speeds. Generally, the AWD ar lower speeds may be ok for mostly city driving, but that could be a significant issue. Probably best to wait for the next model year to see how the AWD for buyers using the for snowy conditions.
Seems like a nonissue. If your going over 20 mph, you are not having traction issues where AWD really matters in normally driving cases. I am guessing the tires it ships with though are eco focused rather than traction.

If a camry has been working, I am guessing just about any car will work. Pick the size you want and check out the offerings honda/toyota/subaru/mazda/hyundai/kia/... offer. Pick the one that appeals to you the most. They are all pretty solid cars with different pluses and minuses.
msi

Post by msi »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:49 pm I'm very happy with my Mazda CX-5. Probably would need to go to a year or two old to get one for $25k (or very stripped new one). The reviews are very good and it was on Consumer Reports list of top 10 reliable vehicles.
For remote start, did you go with Mazda Mobile Start or aftermarket? Or did you not bother with remote start at all?
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

chw wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:18 pm Hello fellow BHs! My dear daughter recently hit a deer and totalled her 15 yo Camry :(, but very fortunately she came thru the accident without a scratch. The Camry was a good city (Boston) car for her, as it was parked on the street, had a few dings, and wasn't a big deal if a few more came along. Now that the Camry is gone after many years of faithful service, my daughter is thinking of getting a new auto with AWD to assist with the snowy drives to work in the winter (she is a nurse). Budget is likely around 25K, and she is open to either new or used AWD sedans or small SUV/Crossovers. This car will be parked on a relatively quiet side street in the city, so not looking to spend mega bucks on a luxury vehicle. Average mileage driven in a year is 6-10,000 miles.

Subaru Crosstrek is currently on my daughter's radar, but she is open to other suggestions.

If she is interested in the Crosstrek, she may want to compare it with the Subaru Impreza hatchback. The Impreza is basically the same car, but not raised and outdoorsy looking, for thousands less. A Premium model with Eyesight lists for 25k, so it's easily within the budget.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

msi wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:50 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:49 pm I'm very happy with my Mazda CX-5. Probably would need to go to a year or two old to get one for $25k (or very stripped new one). The reviews are very good and it was on Consumer Reports list of top 10 reliable vehicles.
For remote start, did you go with Mazda Mobile Start or aftermarket? Or did you not bother with remote start at all?
I have an attached garage below my place so no remote start for me.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

+1

I'm also a very happy CX-5 owner.

Not that you asked me but I don't have remote start either since I live in SF Bay Area. I don't really need it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Currently have a 2015 AWD RAV4 that we bought new. We live in a hilly river town and have driven up many a slick, snowy hill that had other cars spinning their tires. It isn't a full AWD like a Suburu because it doesn't fully power the rear wheels but it is more than adequate as long as you aren't doing serious off roading. The advantages are better gas mileage and less drive train wear since it kicks off the AWD when wheels aren't slipping.

Before that we had a 2001 AWD CR-V which we liked too. But when we were looking to get a new car, the 2015 CR-V's were having engine issues and so we opted for the RAV4 instead.
cookiesncream

Post by cookiesncream »

Love my CX-5. Smooth drive, great handling, low maintenance. You’d probably need a couple years old for AWD at that price and would def recommend the Bose speaker if you can find it. The original speaker system is crappy. Gas mileage is not stellar but I get 22 in the city, 28 on the highway. Good luck!
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

A used outback or forester would be on my list (if snow was a big concern). Those things are fantastic in the snow and mine has held up like a champ. I like it better than even hondas / toyotas we have owned.
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

Is the street parking tight? A subcompact SUV may be really nice to have since the overall length is often smaller than a sedan. For example, the Ford Ecosport is only 161" long.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

unstartable wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 am Is the street parking tight? A subcompact SUV may be really nice to have since the overall length is often smaller than a sedan. For example, the Ford Ecosport is only 161" long.
Doesn't the EcoSport have a side opening hatch? That would seem to negate any advantage of a short body. Your comment probably stands for other cars in the class.
ohai

Post by ohai »

MichCPA wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am
unstartable wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 am Is the street parking tight? A subcompact SUV may be really nice to have since the overall length is often smaller than a sedan. For example, the Ford Ecosport is only 161" long.
Doesn't the EcoSport have a side opening hatch? That would seem to negate any advantage of a short body. Your comment probably stands for other cars in the class.
Some advantage but not all - you don't open the trunk every time you drive a car.
MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle »

chw wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:18 pm Hello fellow BHs! My dear daughter recently hit a deer and totalled her 15 yo Camry :(, but very fortunately she came thru the accident without a scratch. The Camry was a good city (Boston) car for her, as it was parked on the street, had a few dings, and wasn't a big deal if a few more came along. Now that the Camry is gone after many years of faithful service, my daughter is thinking of getting a new auto with AWD to assist with the snowy drives to work in the winter (she is a nurse). Budget is likely around 25K, and she is open to either new or used AWD sedans or small SUV/Crossovers. This car will be parked on a relatively quiet side street in the city, so not looking to spend mega bucks on a luxury vehicle. Average mileage driven in a year is 6-10,000 miles.

Whatever you do, and there are a lot of great options in your price range - get some dedicated rims and snow tires. There are lots of threads on this if you search the forum. Snow tires + FWD is better than AWD and "all season" tires.

The best is obviously AWD and snow tires.

FWIW I have a Prius and live in the lake effect snow belt and it drives great in the snow with snow tires. Only issue is ground clearance if you need to bump over a plow berm
chesley

Post by chesley »

Another vote for a Subaru Impreza 5-door. Subaru makes a very good AWD system. Much better than Toyota or Honda. We bought our daughter an Impreza when she moved to MA. Her commute is from Melrose to Andover. The car does well in the winter. Newer Subies have solved the head gasket problems. Highly recommended.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

ohai wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 am
MichCPA wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am
Some advantage but not all - you don't open the trunk every time you drive a car.
That seems a bit pedantic. The quoted post specifically talked about tight parking and the ability to open a hatch to remove a gym/grocery/work bag is a standard expectation which might not translate to reality. Just because a feature or issue isn't a constant pain doesn't mean it isn't a pain.
Last edited by MichCPA on Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

I love my 2018 Crosstrek Limited (I live in NH). Definitely recommend.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I'll throw out an odd alternative that she'll either love or hate. The Buick Regal TourX which is a new AWD station wagon. For pretty obvious reasons, these aren't selling well (I have read all about them from the first announcement and have seen exactly 1 in real life). Kind of a cool car though if wagons are your thing, and $10k off MSRP is pretty standard right now (plus 72 month 0% financing), meaning really nicely equipped brand-new examples are pretty close to her $25k budget.
catchup

Post by catchup »

I recently bought a Volvo XC90 on an impulse after an accident, but if doing it over again, I would look at the Subaru ascent or VW atlas. Both very safe cars. Volvo has surround camera though, which I like, as well as some autonomous driving features.
Last edited by catchup on Thu May 30, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

I would try to aim for $10-15k for a vehicle for her. Why buy a new $25k car only to have to worry about it getting dinged and banged up while parked on a city street? What percentage of her gross annual income is $25k?

I'd look for used CRV/forester/impreza/crosstrek if AWD is a must, 2015 and newer, 45k miles and less. many can be found in her area for < $15k. (I know because I search for similar vehicles in her area often; many deals seem to be available in the new york area).

if willing to forgo AWD, could probably find a corolla or civic for $11-12k in similar condition.

FWIW, I live in New Hampshire and drive a 2013 honda fit; I have done just fine past two winters. I do use snow tires (michelin x-ice) and would advocate for using them regardless of if a car has AWD or not.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

A 3-5-year old Crosstrek would be great choice. I bought my son a brand new bottom of the barrel Crosstrek in 2015 (manual, zero optional features) and it has been cheap to operate, very reliable, he enjoys driving it, good in snow and big enough to haul stuff back and forth to college (if he didn't have a fridge, all of his school stuff would have fit in it)

When I bought it new, I was comparing it to used CRV/RAV4 type vehicles and I think I did better dollar for dollar buying the new Crosstrek. Even stepping up trim lines, you will probably find it is still a better deal to buy a new Crosstrek vs. the slightly bigger Compact SUV's.....

Of course if she wants a sedan, look at the Impreza as it is the same car without big wheels :-)
Topic Author
chw

Post by chw »

Thank you all for the continued replies! Regarding street parking- parking isn't necessarily "tight", but certainly not plentiful at times. That being said, the EcoSport may be worth looking at (in addition to the Crosstrek, Mazda 3, and possible usual Honda/Toyota options), given the shorter overall length (and lower price point). May also consider the suggestion of trying to find a quality used (no older than 3-4 years), if the price discount to new makes sense.
pacodelostigres

Post by pacodelostigres »

chw wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am Thank you all for the continued replies! Regarding street parking- parking isn't necessarily "tight", but certainly not plentiful at times. That being said, the EcoSport may be worth looking at (in addition to the Crosstrek, Mazda 3, and possible usual Honda/Toyota options), given the shorter overall length (and lower price point). May also consider the suggestion of trying to find a quality used (no older than 3-4 years), if the price discount to new makes sense.
I just bought a 2019 Escape SE AWD with some options for $24k, all-in. Took some negotiating, but you can do better than an EcoSport for $25k.
Topic Author
chw

Post by chw »

pacodelostigres wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:01 pm
chw wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am Thank you all for the continued replies! Regarding street parking- parking isn't necessarily "tight", but certainly not plentiful at times. That being said, the EcoSport may be worth looking at (in addition to the Crosstrek, Mazda 3, and possible usual Honda/Toyota options), given the shorter overall length (and lower price point). May also consider the suggestion of trying to find a quality used (no older than 3-4 years), if the price discount to new makes sense.
I just bought a 2019 Escape SE AWD with some options for $24k, all-in. Took some negotiating, but you can do better than an EcoSport for $25k.
Agree about the EcoSport cost- if considering this option, would expect all in cost well under 25K. Escape may be a bit large for parking on the street, but may consider it as an option. Thanks!
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

Background: My wife and I lived in Boston for several years and now live on the Wakefield/Melrose border. I also used to commute to Andover. We also used to own a Camry (an '08 during the Boston days) until we traded it in on the Golf Sportwagen 4Motion.

I think you'd be missing out to not test drive a new Golf (wagon or not) or GTI. At $25k they are THE bargain of the year for overall quality, utility, and fun to drive. 4Motion only comes on the Golf wagon or Alltrack. I drive my MIL's 2018 Outback regularly and it feels like a tank compared to the Golf. I've actually hooned around on Lime Rock (race track) in the Golf Sportwagen and was pleasantly surprised. It gets 38mpg on the highway and can fit two big dogs and 8ft 2x4s in it. 65" TV, no prob. On top of that, new VWs have a 6yr/72k bumper to bumper warranty.

Subarus are generally (but certainly not totally) reliable, but they drive like trucks and get poor gas mileage. They also have CVT transmissions. They just seem outdated.

I'm a big fan of Mazda and like their cars and CUVs quite a bit. They always seem a little down on power and until recently had disappointing interiors.

I wouldn't be completely attached to AWD. Snow tires on a FWD car with limited slip or E-diff (like VWs and most sporty modern cars have) is very capable and frankly, i haven't seen more than a 3" of snow on the road in the Boston metro area in many years. The plows do a good job.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

teamDE wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 pm Background: My wife and I lived in Boston for several years and now live on the Wakefield/Melrose border. I also used to commute to Andover. We also used to own a Camry (an '08 during the Boston days) until we traded it in on the Golf Sportwagen 4Motion.

I think you'd be missing out to not test drive a new Golf (wagon or not) or GTI. At $25k they are THE bargain of the year for overall quality, utility, and fun to drive. 4Motion only comes on the Golf wagon or Alltrack. I drive my MIL's 2018 Outback regularly and it feels like a tank compared to the Golf. I've actually hooned around on Lime Rock (race track) in the Golf Sportwagen and was pleasantly surprised. It gets 38mpg on the highway and can fit two big dogs and 8ft 2x4s in it. 65" TV, no prob. On top of that, new VWs have a 6yr/72k bumper to bumper warranty.

Subarus are generally (but certainly not totally) reliable, but they drive like trucks and get poor gas mileage. They also have CVT transmissions. They just seem outdated.

I'm a big fan of Mazda and like their cars and CUVs quite a bit. They always seem a little down on power and until recently had disappointing interiors.

I wouldn't be completely attached to AWD. Snow tires on a FWD car with limited slip or E-diff (like VWs and most sporty modern cars have) is very capable and frankly, i haven't seen more than a 3" of snow on the road in the Boston metro area in many years. The plows do a good job.
The Outback is a larger vehicle than the Golf, so your comparison is not that valid. I have a 2018 Outback that drives very well and is only similar to a truck in the high driving position. The fuel mileage is quite good for its size and 6-cylinder engine. There is nothing wrong with the CV transmission. There is a reason that VW has a longer warranty; they need it and owners will use it...a lot.
jchiu003

Post by jchiu003 »

I just posted in the other AWD thread and I'm super biased, but I love my Subaru so much! I work part time in Mammoth Lakes, CA and haven't had a problem with AWD + 8.7 inches of ground clearance + dedicated snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2). If she's working in an area that normally gets heavy snow fall, then Crosstrek is the way to go. There aren't many options that are AWD with ample ground clearance and easily under 25k new.

Bonus pic of my Outback. https://imgur.com/a/2kaEQK1
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

The OP didn't mention utility or cargo requirements. Trust me, in the city you want the smallest car that works. Compact spots were mentioned which is where a wagon shines. You can sneak into a narrow spot, but still has good utility. I park the Sportwagen in a compact spot in Cambridge every day. Having a nimble car is also nice in the city, there is much squeezing and passing and jumping into lines of cars. People who live in places that are spread out and have wider more open roads simply don't know. My family is in NC and driving in Raleigh or Charlotte feels like the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer adopts the highway and deletes the center line and swerves all over in all the space.

VW's reliability is quite good the past couple generations. Consumer Reports puts them at above average. I've had 4 modern VWs and no issues at all.

Of course the OP's daughter should do research and test drive all she can and make up her own mind. Everyone's priorities are different.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

My son got a Forester, loves it. I actually like it too, great visibility. It will be the next vehicle I get when my 2013 Accord wears out in another 12 years or so.