Its a Jeep thing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
OldBallCoach
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Its a Jeep thing?

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 am

So I have this 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that I won in a golf outing. I shot a hole in one..and finished with a 101 for 18 so ya know it was pure luck...anyway...I use it for hauling the crap around our place, small trailer, ect...top is off most of the summer...I get the oil changed once a year or so and have it looked at...this year I went to the Jeep dealership and they told me I needed new tires since the ones on it were original and that was about it..has 27 K on it...they said the tires were getting weather checked...ok..seems fair so I am gonna get tires on it...as I am standing there three different people come up and ask me if I want to sell this Jeep...one guy offered me 25K for it...for a 13 year old Jeep? WTH? So anyway I said no but thanks for asking...my question is WHAT on earth makes Jeeps so popular these days? They have nothing but a metal bucket and seats...I get it thats its 4 wheel drive but come on...Its a Jeep thing you wont understand? Yea..I dont...PS bought tires at Costco the tech said yea, your old ones were bad...so good thing I got em checked out. Can anyone explain this Jeep thing to me?

barnaclebob
Posts: 3614
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am

Well you must know more about this jeep thing than us since you didn't take that offer.

open_circuit
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by open_circuit » Wed May 29, 2019 11:06 am

Wrangler LJs (2004-2006 unlimited) are highly sought after. I own a 2005. In Colorado, you will easily get 16-18k for a 2004-2006 with ~100k miles. I bet you could get over 20 with the right buyer and such low miles.

They are fantastic for offroading, and the longer wheelbase of the 2004-2006 unlimited models makes them very desirable. They have an additional ~18 inches of body length, which makes them far more useful for hauling stuff, as non-unlimited jeeps (TJs) of this era have virtually no storage with the rear seat installed.

Since yours is a Rubicon, it also has a highly-desired Dana 44 axle in both the front and the rear, and probably has an electronic locking rear differential. These are all desirable for off-roading.

Topic Author
OldBallCoach
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am
Well you must know more about this jeep thing than us since you didn't take that offer.
No not at all...its just if I sold it I would have to find something else to replace it with...I am just amazed at how well these really simple Jeeps hold their value? Its good for taking the toys down to the beach and all that...and great for an ice cream run...but really?

Jags4186
Posts: 3343
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:22 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am
Well you must know more about this jeep thing than us since you didn't take that offer.
No not at all...its just if I sold it I would have to find something else to replace it with...I am just amazed at how well these really simple Jeeps hold their value? Its good for taking the toys down to the beach and all that...and great for an ice cream run...but really?
Sell it and buy a 10 year old SUV for $5-8k to haul stuff around. Then you have a hauling around vehicle and $17-20k in your pocket. I’d put up with a whole lot of hassle for $20k.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3614
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed May 29, 2019 11:22 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am
Well you must know more about this jeep thing than us since you didn't take that offer.
No not at all...its just if I sold it I would have to find something else to replace it with...I am just amazed at how well these really simple Jeeps hold their value? Its good for taking the toys down to the beach and all that...and great for an ice cream run...but really?
But you can probably find something to do that job for under 10k.

open_circuit
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by open_circuit » Wed May 29, 2019 11:26 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am
barnaclebob wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 am
Well you must know more about this jeep thing than us since you didn't take that offer.
No not at all...its just if I sold it I would have to find something else to replace it with...I am just amazed at how well these really simple Jeeps hold their value? Its good for taking the toys down to the beach and all that...and great for an ice cream run...but really?
You don't need a Rubicon for that. Rubicon is the most off-road capable factory Jeep configuration. Folks want them to go off road, rock crawling, and otherwise adventuring. Lots of vehicles can do this, but very few modern vehicles still feature solid front and rear axles like this Jeep does. Nothing else has the same approach, departure, and break-over angles as a Jeep. So yes, "it's a Jeep thing", and you just aren't using the Jeep the way most of these buyers may be interested in using it. The marginal utility (and value) of the Jeep is lower for you because of this. No problem using it the way you are, but it can do some pretty impressive things that few other production vehicles can.

runner3081
Posts: 2120
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by runner3081 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 am
So I have this 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that I won in a golf outing. I shot a hole in one..and finished with a 101 for 18 so ya know it was pure luck...anyway...I use it for hauling the crap around our place, small trailer, ect...top is off most of the summer...I get the oil changed once a year or so and have it looked at...this year I went to the Jeep dealership and they told me I needed new tires since the ones on it were original and that was about it..has 27 K on it...they said the tires were getting weather checked...ok..seems fair so I am gonna get tires on it...as I am standing there three different people come up and ask me if I want to sell this Jeep...one guy offered me 25K for it...for a 13 year old Jeep? WTH? So anyway I said no but thanks for asking...my question is WHAT on earth makes Jeeps so popular these days? They have nothing but a metal bucket and seats...I get it thats its 4 wheel drive but come on...Its a Jeep thing you wont understand? Yea..I dont...PS bought tires at Costco the tech said yea, your old ones were bad...so good thing I got em checked out. Can anyone explain this Jeep thing to me?
Look at the number of Jeep fans/blogs/clubs out there.

One could ask the same question about many products/brands.

Apple, High-end purses, etc., etc.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9318
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:41 am

If you DO want to sell it, let me know.

The big 2 things for me as an offroader is the 2 lockers and 2 Dana 44s. To do this aftermarket in my current 14 Wrangler Sport Unlimited (4 doors vs your 2 door longer LJ), would cost me probably five to eight grand since I'd likely do a gear change while I'm in there. 06 is the last year of the TJ/LJ. If it's clean (no rust), that's a huge plus. Especially selling to someone in the rust belt. The low mileage is a selling feature.

Offroading, big 4 doors like mine in the Northeast is cumbersome. Lots of 5 point turns to get around trees. Lots of getting hung up going over a ledge with the front wheels dangling and the rear wheels dangling where the shorter LJ wheel base just drives over. Better stability going up/down steep hills compared to TJs or newer JK or JL 2 doors. The smaller size (all dimensions) make it easier to get through those trees. But the suspension is the same as newer Wranglers with coils all around, compared to previous YJs (96 and back) that have leaf springs in true 1920's truck style.

By the way.....a new Rubicon is going to run 50 grand out the door.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2776
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am

It's a unique vehicle with a cult following.

The Jeep is an unusual case of a vehicle with poor reliability that retains its value very well. It also gets rotten gas mileage.

open_circuit
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by open_circuit » Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am
It's a unique vehicle with a cult following.

The Jeep is an unusual case of a vehicle with poor reliability that retains its value very well. It also gets rotten gas mileage.
You're right. I prefer to think of it as smiles per gallon instead of miles per gallon, though. :sharebeer

Topic Author
OldBallCoach
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am
It's a unique vehicle with a cult following.

The Jeep is an unusual case of a vehicle with poor reliability that retains its value very well. It also gets rotten gas mileage.
It would have to improve in mileage to get the rotten rating...LOL...it has been very reliable so far I have only changed the oil and I did buy a battery several years ago but for the most part it sits in my pole building...and tires but thats ok...

ohai
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by ohai » Wed May 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Jeep also has awful crash safety, since the windshield, doors, roof, and others panels are designed to be removable. It probably has one of the worst rollover rates ever too. Sometimes, you can see those Jeeps with the big tires going 75 mph and it looks terrifying.

I "understand" why Jeep is a thing - due to collectibility and offroad enthusiasm. It is a real offroad vehicle, unlike a lot of so called SUVs. I would not want to own one though.

Wricha
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Wricha » Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 pm

I have owned 4 Jeeps in eight years. Mine is basically a stripped down 4 door wrangler (list for $37k 2019). Every two years the dealer calls and asks me if I am interested selling. I give him my old Jeep and $5k (done it 4x) and I may change oil once or twice and never tires. So it cost me $2,500/yr to have a new Jeep. I must admit the 2019 is a gem it really drives well as jeeps are not know for comfort. This is actually a nice vehicle and I would recommend it. I would never recommend one prior to this one. I bought Jeeps because well it’s a Jeep thing and I am glad other people feel the same way.

vu8
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by vu8 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 pm

Remember, not a single tire vendor or service seller will let you know that your tires are in perfectly good condition. Never ask for advice from a person who has conflict of interest...

open_circuit
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by open_circuit » Wed May 29, 2019 12:18 pm

vu8 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 pm
Remember, not a single tire vendor or service seller will let you know that your tires are in perfectly good condition. Never ask for advice from a person who has conflict of interest...
His tires were 13 years old according to his post. There have been countless tire threads on this forum where old tires and dry-rot have been discussed ad nauseam. In this instance, I don't believe "caveat emptor" is a prudent or wise approach.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 5453
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by whodidntante » Wed May 29, 2019 12:33 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am
The Jeep is an unusual case of a vehicle with poor reliability that retains its value very well. It also gets rotten gas mileage.
I'm not a Jeep person, but I have rented one twice for off-roading. I find them pretty miserable on the road. Cramped, noisy, poor performance unless you think acceleration, cornering, and braking do not matter much. But take it off road and there is nothing better. And I think the quality is good.
I don't expect a rock crawling, wide tired, high riding off-road vehicle to get the same gas mileage or to have the same maintenance costs as a pedestrian car that really isn't good at anything other than driving to work uneventfully. It's an affront to nature bordering on violence for a Jeep to reach and maintain 70 MPH. It's a wonder they stand up to road use as well as they do.

bad1bill
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:14 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by bad1bill » Wed May 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Yes, It's a Jeep thing. I got bit by that bug six years ago when I bought a 97 TJ for a fun vehicle to drive here in Colorado. I had read the poor reviews etc. but figured what the heck. Now, I LOVE this car. I used to be anti-Jeep (I'm a mountain biker) but I can only exercise so much and after a 2 hour bike ride in the AM it's fun to see ghost towns, mines, etc. in the afternoon. I take it to Crested Butte, Telluride, Breckenridge and have a blast. It's been incredibly reliable except for one glitch four years ago. It's stock but I've taken it on many hard core trails including Black Bear Pass. It is not great for comfort but I cover it up during the winter and drive it only in the summer and it's great to be able to drive to these awesome places. I keep the soft top on all the time; mostly down but it goes up in a few minutes if the rain starts. There are great forums where you can learn to do most of the repairs yourself and learn about the Jeep culture.

If you aren't going to use it for four wheeling, and it's rust free, sell it and buy something more practical. If you are anywhere near Colorado, Utah, Arizona (or anywhere else that has good offroad trails) then certainly keep it and start four-wheeling. You'll probably get bit too.....

iamlucky13
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:57 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 am
So I have this 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon...has 27 K on it...

...as I am standing there three different people come up and ask me if I want to sell this Jeep...one guy offered me 25K for it...for a 13 year old Jeep? WTH? So anyway I said no but thanks for asking...my question is WHAT on earth makes Jeeps so popular these days? They have nothing but a metal bucket and seats
The 2006 was the last model year tracing a long evolution from the original Willies. It was very a very utilitarian off-road vehicle. You have a vehicle that is highly desired by a small percentage of drivers who prioritize off-road abilities over on-road, is no longer in production, and was not produced in particularly large numbers when it was. Yours sounds like it is in excellent condition.

For 2007 they released a new version that was a clean-sheet redesign. While it still looked like a Jeep and was probably still the best off-road vehicle in production, they started to make increasing compromises for comfort and on-road use.

While in terms of design, the following is not technically accurate, from a marketing perspective: after yours was made, the Wrangler started becoming more of a general purpose utility vehicle like the Cherokee had originally been, while the Cherokee became an ordinary Suburban Utility Vehicle (SUV).

While I know it has disappointed a lot of fans of the older design, the strategy of focusing on mass-market appeal worked. Sales tripled in the decade after yours was built.

Here's a Jeep fan explaining why the TJ version was the best liked by dedicated Jeep fans:
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... tj-is-best

jharkin
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by jharkin » Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm

The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the more hardcore as its the only one that still has a solid front axle and I believe dual locking diffs. But either can handle more than most of the people who drive them would ever dare try.

So, yeah, it is a "Jeep" thing. If you dont offload you should have taken the money and run smiling to the bank.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Where I wanna be.

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 pm

jharkin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the
Toyota Landcruiser
Lexus LX570/470
Lexus GX

I don't offroad, but I am pretty sure first two vehicles are used heavily for offroading. Third one is body on frame, and so are some other offerings, but may not be used for off-roading. But I would not hesitate to call each of them "real" SUV :D

ohai
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by ohai » Wed May 29, 2019 2:59 pm

jharkin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the more hardcore as its the only one that still has a solid front axle and I believe dual locking diffs. But either can handle more than most of the people who drive them would ever dare try.

So, yeah, it is a "Jeep" thing. If you dont offload you should have taken the money and run smiling to the bank.
Well, you could get a Mercedes G Wagon, which is just absurdly over designed. The new one can not only submerge 2/3 in water, but the cabin is watertight, meaning that you can even drive through a lake in luxury...

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 2506
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:00 pm

The gas station where I worked while in HS had a very old (old in 1970ties) jeep that I would drive to jump someone with a dead battery, deliver a few gallons of gas (with the old metal jerry cans). The owner of the station like to use me so he and his mechanics didn't have to break away from their real mission, repairing VWs. The gas sold kept the rent paid and the lights on.

Of course as part of a road call after I was finished I felt compelled to visit the A&W drive-in. I was a hot shot when driving that old jeep. It was even more fun than driving our '58 (or possibly a '59 VW bug).

This jeep was olive drab, it might have been a old military vehicle.

It was a lot of fun, for sure. I totally get the attraction.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
OldBallCoach
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed May 29, 2019 5:13 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 pm
jharkin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the
Toyota Landcruiser
Lexus LX570/470
Lexus GX

I don't offroad, but I am pretty sure first two vehicles are used heavily for offroading. Third one is body on frame, and so are some other offerings, but may not be used for off-roading. But I would not hesitate to call each of them "real" SUV :D
Oddly enough my daily driver is a LandCruiser and my wife drives a 4 runner...yea we like buying gas...A lot.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2776
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed May 29, 2019 5:57 pm

ohai wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:59 pm
jharkin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the more hardcore as its the only one that still has a solid front axle and I believe dual locking diffs. But either can handle more than most of the people who drive them would ever dare try.

So, yeah, it is a "Jeep" thing. If you dont offload you should have taken the money and run smiling to the bank.
Well, you could get a Mercedes G Wagon, which is just absurdly over designed. The new one can not only submerge 2/3 in water, but the cabin is watertight, meaning that you can even drive through a lake in luxury...
Saw one just the other day, driving through Phoenix, not a drop of water in sight.

There was a thread a while back started by a guy who had thought the G wagon was his dream car. Unfortunately he bought one and then didn't know what to do.

The G wagon makes a Jeep look like a rational purchase.

stoptothink
Posts: 5591
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:57 pm
ohai wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:59 pm
jharkin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the more hardcore as its the only one that still has a solid front axle and I believe dual locking diffs. But either can handle more than most of the people who drive them would ever dare try.

So, yeah, it is a "Jeep" thing. If you dont offload you should have taken the money and run smiling to the bank.
Well, you could get a Mercedes G Wagon, which is just absurdly over designed. The new one can not only submerge 2/3 in water, but the cabin is watertight, meaning that you can even drive through a lake in luxury...
Saw one just the other day, driving through Phoenix, not a drop of water in sight.

There was a thread a while back started by a guy who had thought the G wagon was his dream car. Unfortunately he bought one and then didn't know what to do.

The G wagon makes a Jeep look like a rational purchase.
Have a co-worker and a friend who went through the same thing; it was their dream car, dropped about 4x what they could logically afford on a car to get one, and then hated it and sold for a loss within 2yrs. Don't get the appeal, at all. Now my brother, who has had an absolute nightmare with an AMG (E63s) is talking about trading it in for a G-wagen because he needs one now that they live in Colorado.

User avatar
Matigas
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Matigas » Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 pm

You showed your ignorance by not taking the offer.

User avatar
Matigas
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Matigas » Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm

jharkin wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:38 pm
The Jeep and the Toyota 4Runner are the only traditional body on frame 4x4 off road "real" SUVs left... and of them the Jeep is considered the more hardcore as its the only one that still has a solid front axle and I believe dual locking diffs. But either can handle more than most of the people who drive them would ever dare try.

So, yeah, it is a "Jeep" thing. If you dont offload you should have taken the money and run smiling to the bank.
Believe what you want, but you are wrong.

averagedude
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by averagedude » Wed May 29, 2019 7:11 pm

I don't get the jeep thing either. If giving the choice between a Camry (reliable) or a jeep (unreliable), I would take the Camry. This is coming from someone who loves the outdoors, gravel roads, and of course frugality.

gator15
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by gator15 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 pm

I’ve had a lot of nice sports cars over the years. I’ve also owned a 2005 Jeep Wrangler I had for six years. It’s the only vehicle I regret selling. I sold it for $2k less than I paid for it. Sold it because it was my daily driver and I was commuting close to 100 miles a day. Should have kept it and bought a commuter car. Over the last year I’ve found myself at Jeep dealerships over a dozen times as I contemplated purchasing a brand new Rubicon. At a price tag of nearly $50k for a new Rubicon, I’ve decided it’s a terrible financial decision to purchase though I’m on track for early retirement. I’m not sure why I love Jeeps so much. No doubt, if I ever decide to purchase another vehicle, it will likely be a Rubicon.

Topic Author
OldBallCoach
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by OldBallCoach » Thu May 30, 2019 6:41 am

Matigas wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 pm
You showed your ignorance by not taking the offer.
Yea you are probably right...good thing I took the business cards of the fools that want to pay me 25K for a Jeep...naw...I dont need the money and its got new tires and an oil change...good for another 13 years or so...

dsmclone
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by dsmclone » Thu May 30, 2019 6:54 am

I totally get the Jeep CJ as an off road vehicle. I don't get at all ones that are used as daily drivers. About 10 years ago my nephew and I went and drove a brand new Jeep and it was pretty much the worst vehicle I had ever driven. Loud, slow, poor handling, terrible interior, etc.

smitcat
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by smitcat » Thu May 30, 2019 7:28 am

dsmclone wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:54 am
I totally get the Jeep CJ as an off road vehicle. I don't get at all ones that are used as daily drivers. About 10 years ago my nephew and I went and drove a brand new Jeep and it was pretty much the worst vehicle I had ever driven. Loud, slow, poor handling, terrible interior, etc.
Yes exactly , well said. I have owned a few Jeeps and they are generally the worst vehicle out there as you have described and a few other shortcomings. Likely 98% never leave the pavement and the remaining 2% only leave the pavement for maybe 25% of the time they are used.
Always liked them , still do but not an applicable vehicle for most folks.

User avatar
FlyAF
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by FlyAF » Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am

In my area, the newer style 4 door wranglers are THE vehicle to have if you're a soccer mom, bonus points for being a SAHM. Extra bonus points for rim and off road tire upgrade. If you see one, 99.9% chance it's a young woman w/ kids driving it. Guaranteed to have never seen anything but pavement. I don't have kids, but I have owned a wrangler before in my younger days and I can't possibly think of a worse vehicle to be carting kids around. I don't understand how this vehicle became the hot one to have for moms carting kids around. Unsafe, expensive, not known for being super reliable, gas guzzling, loud, lousy storage, poor on the highway (all you drive in my major metro), the list goes on. It just goes to show how vein and stupid the vast majority of the population is.

stoptothink
Posts: 5591
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by stoptothink » Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 am

FlyAF wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am
In my area, the newer style 4 door wranglers are THE vehicle to have if you're a soccer mom, bonus points for being a SAHM. Extra bonus points for rim and off road tire upgrade. If you see one, 99.9% chance it's a young woman w/ kids driving it. Guaranteed to have never seen anything but pavement. I don't have kids, but I have owned a wrangler before in my younger days and I can't possibly think of a worse vehicle to be carting kids around. I don't understand how this vehicle became the hot one to have for moms carting kids around. Unsafe, expensive, not known for being super reliable, gas guzzling, loud, lousy storage, poor on the highway (all you drive in my major metro), the list goes on. It just goes to show how vein and stupid the vast majority of the population is.
Same thing around here. There must be half a dozen of this exact situation in my neighborhood. I've driven in one once, on pavement, and I have no interest in doing it again. That must be what riding in a covered wagon felt like.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9318
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 30, 2019 8:29 am

Only in a Jeep.....

Image
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Valuethinker
Posts: 38049
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Valuethinker » Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 am

FlyAF wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am
In my area, the newer style 4 door wranglers are THE vehicle to have if you're a soccer mom, bonus points for being a SAHM. Extra bonus points for rim and off road tire upgrade. If you see one, 99.9% chance it's a young woman w/ kids driving it. Guaranteed to have never seen anything but pavement. I don't have kids, but I have owned a wrangler before in my younger days and I can't possibly think of a worse vehicle to be carting kids around. I don't understand how this vehicle became the hot one to have for moms carting kids around. Unsafe, expensive, not known for being super reliable, gas guzzling, loud, lousy storage, poor on the highway (all you drive in my major metro), the list goes on. It just goes to show how vein and stupid the vast majority of the population is.
Can you say very generally whereabouts you live?

I live in London, England. As you can imagine "Chelsea Tractors" (Chelsea is a particularly affluent part of London - think Upper East Side with Russian oligarchs) - Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Porsche Cayenne's etc. are the thing (not just in Chelsea!).. to take Simon & Arabella to and from prep school (think New York- New England Preppies). You see we have lots of unpaved roads and snow drifts here in a city of 9 million people*.

Oddly, Volvos fitted into that category, too. BMW of course.

The Land Rover Defender is the Jeep-bucket-of-bolts of Britain and some of the former colonies. It handles badly, is unreliable, uncomfortable, poor fuel economy (in a world where gasoline is c $7 US/ gal) - and probably quite unsafe. But it was fixable by the owner, you could customise what you wanted as a body, and they are truly tough.

Jeeps are rare, and expensive.

Nowadays everyone buys on lease. So you see an awful lot of expensive metal that is effectively never paid for -- these are high depreciation vehicles.

* to be fair, you are supposed to have a second place in the country, with a long gravel driveway. Take the dogs when you go out shooting, etc. But you could own an old Land Rover, see above, and keep it at the 2nd place. My bet is that 90%+ of the SUVs in London never see anything other than a nicely paved road, and meet a snowstorm once a decade.

User avatar
FlyAF
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by FlyAF » Thu May 30, 2019 8:38 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:31 am
FlyAF wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:37 am
In my area, the newer style 4 door wranglers are THE vehicle to have if you're a soccer mom, bonus points for being a SAHM. Extra bonus points for rim and off road tire upgrade. If you see one, 99.9% chance it's a young woman w/ kids driving it. Guaranteed to have never seen anything but pavement. I don't have kids, but I have owned a wrangler before in my younger days and I can't possibly think of a worse vehicle to be carting kids around. I don't understand how this vehicle became the hot one to have for moms carting kids around. Unsafe, expensive, not known for being super reliable, gas guzzling, loud, lousy storage, poor on the highway (all you drive in my major metro), the list goes on. It just goes to show how vein and stupid the vast majority of the population is.
Can you say very generally whereabouts you live?

I live in London, England. As you can imagine "Chelsea Tractors" (Chelsea is a particularly affluent part of London - think Upper East Side with Russian oligarchs) - Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Porsche Cayenne's etc. are the thing (not just in Chelsea!).. to take Simon & Arabella to and from prep school (think New York- New England Preppies). You see we have lots of unpaved roads and snow drifts here in a city of 9 million people*.

Oddly, Volvos fitted into that category, too. BMW of course.

The Land Rover Defender is the Jeep-bucket-of-bolts of Britain and some of the former colonies. It handles badly, is unreliable, uncomfortable, poor fuel economy (in a world where gasoline is c $7 US/ gal) - and probably quite unsafe. But it was fixable by the owner, you could customise what you wanted as a body, and they are truly tough.

Jeeps are rare, and expensive.

Nowadays everyone buys on lease. So you see an awful lot of expensive metal that is effectively never paid for -- these are high depreciation vehicles.

* to be fair, you are supposed to have a second place in the country, with a long gravel driveway. Take the dogs when you go out shooting, etc. But you could own an old Land Rover, see above, and keep it at the 2nd place. My bet is that 90%+ of the SUVs in London never see anything other than a nicely paved road, and meet a snowstorm once a decade.
The armpit of the US, otherwise known as Texas.

mindgap
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by mindgap » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:10 am

I personally love the look of the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. I always wondered about the reliability until my friend had a rental one with 500 miles on it. The second day he had it the engine failed and we had to bring it back to the dealership for an exchange. I guess I pass on this one :)

Glenn
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by Glenn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 pm

I spent a 35 year career doing field work in the back country of the Sonoran Desert, and find the whole thing about jeeps amusing. Yes, a jeep CJ is a great off-road vehicle. One of the best. Of course, they're miserable driving on the freeway to the field site and they have poor reliability. They're uncomfortable and not very practical as a daily driver around town, and I'd bet 99% of the miles are driven there. Remarkably, I don't often see a jeep in the back country, and then it is likely to be driven by a winter tourist who towed it to Arizona behind an RV. My experience is that most of the professionals working off the road drive pickup trucks except the Border Patrol, who commonly use SUVs. Personally, a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 is my favorite.

btenny
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Its a Jeep thing?

Post by btenny » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Yes holding value is a jeep thing especialy for older Wranglers. The key is those small jeeps are just great in hard 4x4 mode.

But as you know they are not easy to drive or quiet or easy riding. So mostly a weekend car.

Good luck

Post Reply