Double ovens, please advise on these options, have gone through 2 ovens in under 10 years.!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jackson12

Double ovens, please advise on these options, have gone through 2 ovens in under 10 years.!

Post by Jackson12 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 pm

I’m so confused when it comes to choosing new wall ovens. We’re gone through 2 sets in under 10 years and the last was top rated by Consumer Reports. We know it isn’t an electrical issue. It’s the ovens ( as repair people reassured us).

Can anyone here recommend 27 to 30 inch double wall ovens ( preferably brands and models) which they’ve loved..or at least like well enough? We don’t need lots of features, just reliable ovens which don’t break down often.

. We’ve looked at everything from General Electric to Bosch and are still confused.

I believe I may have posted here about this , years ago. But other expenses occurred and we’ve made do with a huge toaster oven and portable induction burners, fine for 2 people and occasional guests.

But it’s no longer satisfactory. Thanksgiving was a challenge and we do host dinners. We’d like to stay under $3000. ..although we can stretch that a bit. Even lower would be wonderful. .

I admit I’m wary of new appliances but it’s past time to replace our completely dead ovens. Our other major appliances, still running strong, were purchased in 2004. We recently replaced our even older and beloved dishwasher with a Bosch. It’s nice but I still prefer the older one...which did finally give out after 20 years.

Watty

Re: Double ovens, please advise on these options, have gone through 2 ovens in under 10 years.!

Post by Watty » Tue May 28, 2019 11:17 pm

What was wrong with the old ovens?

Ovens are very simple and the few things that can go wrong are usually repairable.

If you have been using the same repair person for all of this you might try a different one.

HereToLearn

Re: Double ovens, please advise on these options, have gone through 2 ovens in under 10 years.!

Post by HereToLearn » Tue May 28, 2019 11:19 pm

Can you buy a floor model? Touch base with local appliance stores and HD/Lowe's to find out when they typically replace the floor models.

I agree that no new appliance is built to last the way appliances purchased 20+ years ago were. Good luck.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 pm

Are you using self cleaning features? Don't. Lower cost ovens are not adequately insulated to protect circuitry and wiring from the heat. I know self cleaning ovens have been around for 50 years .... but everything is cheapened now.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue May 28, 2019 11:39 pm

Wolf double ovens.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Ovens are very simple and the few things that can go wrong are usually repairable.

If you have been using the same repair person for all of this you might try a different one.
We actually had many repair people sent out to repair the ovens, all required to be pre- approved by the extended warranty company. With the latest ovens, the control panels kept dying and the oven wouldn’t hold a reliable temperature even when we had working panels.

The only saving grace- at least for our finances- was that the extended warranty covered replacement of the control panels...twice. It also covered the major costs of the many required repairs (but not the significant damage to our drywall and dents in the walls.).

Shortly after the warranty ran out, the oven completely died. We don’t want to replace another control panel and we do trust the last repairman...who says it can’t be fixed. He’s never tried to upsell us any new appliances but has in fact kept our older ones running with very infrequent and minor repairs.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 pm

stan1 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 pm
Are you using self cleaning features? Don't. Lower cost ovens are not adequately insulated to protect circuitry and wiring from the heat. I know self cleaning ovens have been around for 50 years .... but everything is cheapened now.
Friends warned us to avoid the self cleaning feature so we didn’t use it. My mother’s old oven, nor particularly expensive, was fine with the self cleaning. But they don’t seem to make them like that now.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:45 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:39 pm
Wolf double ovens.
Thanks. They do seem pricey...but less than going through 2 sets of cheaper ovens.

bstewie

Post by bstewie » Tue May 28, 2019 11:56 pm

You need a new repair company/tech if they are increasing damage to your home at cost to you while pulling an appliance out for inspection/repair :oops: That aside, I feel your pain, new appliances definitely have cheap electronic components. I’ve replaced two control boards on the same appliance in the last year.
Last edited by bstewie on Wed May 29, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Wolf double ovens.
Those seem to be in the $7000 range? Whoa...that is up there.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 am

We just replaced the oven in our new house. We wanted to go higher end and looked at Wolf, etc., but found that most of those required 220V/50A for double and 220V/30A for single. The only ones that could support a regular 220V/20A for single was Monogram, which is GE's top line. That's what we went with. So far so good, but too early to draw any conclusions from our experience.

EDIT TO ADD: we also bought a display model off eBay, which saved us a ton. It's covered by the full manufacturer warranty too so no big deal. Just have to call and make sure there is no cosmetic damage.
Last edited by supalong52 on Wed May 29, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed May 29, 2019 12:34 am

wow, we've only had two in 32 years. The first one was a KitchenAid, and now we have a GE Profile, which is about 10 years old. We replaced the motherboard on each once as they sit up top and get warm when the oven is on. Rarely use the self-cleaning feature.

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Wed May 29, 2019 12:40 am

We have a set of GE double ovens that are 10 years old and still working well. When they quit, and are irreparable, my DW will look at what Miele offers first (likely more expensive than Wolf). I believe their products are generally engineered to last at least 20 years.

Post by 123 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:02 am

I just have to echo the sentiment that using the oven self-cleaning feature is more likely to fry the electronic control mechanisms/circuits at some point. This would be applicable to either a built-in oven or a free standing /slide-in stove or range. Sure that self-clean feature is really easy to use but it's not really a lot of effort to clean an oven manually. I've actually only used self-clean a couple of times on different ovens, the heat that the cycle generated made me anxious about using it.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Bogle7

Miele

Post by Bogle7 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:20 am

Miele. Made in Deutschland.
24-inch. Is large enough (Take your oven cookware to the store and check it out.). They also make a 30-inch.
Speed oven. And, convection oven.
$6000-$7000.
Worth it. Amazing ovens.

This https://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-reliable-wall-ovens is worth reading.

P.S. Many kitchen renovations start with a broken appliance. This is your opportunity. Ours started with a broken microwave handle. $51K fixed the problem.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed May 29, 2019 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:32 am

They’re lovely but I don’t see wall ovens there.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Re: Miele

Post by Jackson12 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:41 am

Bogle7 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:20 am
Miele. Made in Deutschland.
24-inch. Is large enough. They also make a 30-inch.
Speed oven. And, convection oven.
$6000-$7000.
Worth it. Amazing ovens.
It’s a consideration. If we’d purchased one quality and possibly pricey oven in the first place maybe we wouldn’t have ended up paying nearly $7000 on 2 sets of wall ovens .

I am still hoping we can find a good oven at a lower price point. On the other hand, the ovens will be heavily used and need to be able to handle that.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:31 am

Our GE double oven is 16 years old and still running strong. We rarely (maybe 1x a year) use the self-cleaning option.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am

The answer certainly isn’t buy a $7000 oven.

I would buy an oven from Costco. Use the Costco Visa for 2 years additional warranty. You’ll have in the area of 7 years of warranty coverage at that point. You can even buy an addition 3 year warranty for another $100-$200. Now you’re at 10 years. If they can’t fix it they have to replace it.

10 years is about the most you can reasonably expect an appliance to last these days. Not saying they won’t last 15-20 years, just that you shouldn’t be too upset if a low-mid range oven goes caput after 10 years.

Paddygirl

Post by Paddygirl » Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 am

Blue Star Range wall ovens. High ratings, I've had mine for a year. Solid and the broiler is fabulous, as we cook all the time and entertain. You may have to come up in price a bit. Don't go through the company that builds them though because they are not equipped to handle customers, go through A J Madison.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed May 29, 2019 7:32 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:41 pm
Watty wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:17 pm

We actually had many repair people sent out to repair the ovens, all required to be pre- approved by the extended warranty company. With the latest ovens, the control panels kept dying and the oven wouldn’t hold a reliable temperature even when we had working panels.

The only saving grace- at least for our finances- was that the extended warranty covered replacement of the control panels...twice. It also covered the major costs of the many required repairs (but not the significant damage to our drywall and dents in the walls.).

Shortly after the warranty ran out, the oven completely died. We don’t want to replace another control panel and we do trust the last repairman...who says it can’t be fixed. He’s never tried to upsell us any new appliances but has in fact kept our older ones running with very infrequent and minor repairs.
The repair companies that the extended warranty companies use are notorious for being bad and just trying to patch things up enough to get it through the warranty so I would not put a lot of weight in what they say. They will also install used parts without telling you that, there is nothing inherently wrong with using used parts but a repair with them should come with its own warranty.

You can get a free extended warranty with many credit cards and many ovens come with a two year warranty so I would skip the extended warranty and just pay for any future repairs yourself so that you can hire good repair people.

It really does sound like an electrical problem to me so it would be good to get an electrician to check out the power and to maybe install a surge suppressor in that circuit or put in a whole house surge suppressor. This is especially true if you live in a area where lightning is common.

Unless you are a gourmet cook and there is some specific feature you are looking for I would actually a basic consider a lower end model that has sold a lot of units and had been on the market for a long time. Between selling a lot of units and having been on the market for a long time they will have a good chance to see common problems and make minor improvements to eliminate the problems.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:32 am
Why restrict to a wall oven? Better a stand alone stove that works for decades.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 am

Jackson12 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 am
HomeStretch wrote:
Wolf double ovens.
Those seem to be in the $7000 range? Whoa...that is up there.
May as well go for two Miele ovens if you are willing to spend that much. One full size and the other a speed oven. Once you have the speed oven you'll seldom use the big oven again except for a 20+ pound turkey.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 29, 2019 8:48 am

I would avoid the "household" brands, and go with one of the higher-end ones:

Wolf
Miele
Bluestar
American Range

But I would avoid Viking, as their reliability in no way lives up to their price.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 am

The higher priced ovens are expensive to repair, and the designated representatives can upcharge. We had GE's top ovens, Monogram, and they worked well but when the repair of one of six burners was required, we were told an entire section controlling all burners would be required for over $500. We demurred and used an independent repair person for less than half that amount. We chose the GE repair first because of convenience and because parts for the top brands are not readily available for independent repair companies since GE wants the business.

Tim

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed May 29, 2019 9:03 am

We have this model: https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-applia ... 00ess.html

Have been installed and used regularly for a little over a year with no issues. We cook at home (though not exclusively in the oven obviously) every night, host friend dinners regularly, and cook a Thanksgiving turkey every year. Seem to heat evenly, they heat up fast, and the three different convection settings is nice for doing different types of cooking. I used the internal temperature probe this weekend and tested it against my trusted instant read thermometer and it was spot on. No complaints whatsoever.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 pm

I cannot believe the comments that you cannot use features (self cleaning) on an oven because it destroys it. I believe it is true, but cannot believe there are products like this.

That being said, I had a Viking Hood for my Viking range at my last house and the control for the hood always sensed excessive heat triggering the hood to go on. Even when boiling a pot of water. It was a 48" hood and VERY loud (range had a grill). I had the techs out many times. They replaced it multiple times and never fixed it. I "fixed" it myself by removing the halogen bulb close to the control panel which seemed to produce to much heat and cause the hood to go on all the time. It was a design flaw in my view.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Electrolux EW30EW65GS
$2700 in 2013.
Still going strong

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 am
Jackson12 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:32 am
Why restrict to a wall oven? Better a stand alone stove that works for decades.
Unfortunately, our current kitchen configuration and available space wall won’t allow for a free standing stove , not unless we remove a cooktop and the built in storage area under it. We’d also have to replace a counter and reconfigure things even more.

There’s already a dedicated relatively narrow space for wall ovens, not large enough to accommodate a free standing stove....which would protrude too far into the kitchen.

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 pm

We had an expensive Miele and hated it. Extremely noisy and persistent fan, poor cooking of some baked goods, and failed in six years. Happier with good ol GE.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Re: Double ovens, please advise on these options, have gone through 2 ovens in under 10 years!

Post by Jackson12 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:37 pm

alexander29 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 pm
We had an expensive Miele and hated it. Extremely noisy and persistent fan, poor cooking of some baked goods, and failed in six years. Happier with good ol GE.
We’re considering the 30 in. GE Cafe Double French Door Electric Wall Ovens. While I’m wary of Consumer Report ratings, the ovens are top rated by them. More importantly ( at least to me) is that they also have high ratings by consumers at various sites and on discussion boards. The majority of buyers seem to love them. Buyer ratings carry more weight for me, primarily because we bought our previous ovens based on Consumer Reports and they were junk.

If we hadn’t been burned twice, we’d try another moderately priced oven set. We’re not absolutely committed to the GE ovens but they’re a possibility.

HereToLearn

Re: Double ovens, please advise on these options, have gone through 2 ovens in under 10 years!

Post by HereToLearn » Wed May 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:37 pm
alexander29 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:10 pm
We’re considering the 30 in. GE Cafe Double French Door Electric Wall Ovens. While I’m wary of Consumer Report ratings, the ovens are top rated by them. More importantly ( at least to me) is that they also have high ratings by consumers at various sites and on discussion boards. The majority of buyers seem to love them. Buyer ratings carry more weight for me, primarily because we bought our previous ovens based on Consumer Reports and they were junk.

If we hadn’t been burned twice, we’d try another moderately priced oven set. We’re not absolutely committed to the GE ovens but they’re a possibility.
I have GE Cafe Double Wall ovens. Not French Door, so do not know how my set differs from the French door model. Both ovens offer convection. The Jenn Air that preceded them only offered convection in one oven.

They have worked fine for the three & a half years they have been installed. I didn't seek them out but instead bought b/c they were massively reduced as a floor model.

The oven seems to steam a bit more than my last set but I have grown used to it. I haven't tried cleaning them yet. (Silpat oven liners for the bottom of the oven are key. I don't cook all that much in the oven. The grill and cooktop see a lot more use.)

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:25 am

Our home has a GE double oven. Installed new 44 years ago. No electronics. Works fine although we have not used the self cleaning in the 30 years we've been here. Use one of those oven safe mats on the bottom to catch drips. I've replaced a door gasket and one of the heating elements. Changed the avocado color to almond years ago. We are used to the knobs that slip a bit when you change the temperature setting.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu May 30, 2019 10:57 am

We’ve had this Kitchenaid for 12 years with no problems: https://www.kitchenaid.com/major-applia ... ovens.html

Note that the top is a microwave convection oven, so not a standard double oven.

It is great not having a microwave sitting on the counter or hanging above the cooktop.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Fri May 31, 2019 12:59 pm

We were very space constrained and the Electrolux 27" double wall oven was one of two models we found that would fit. It still took the installers nearly a day to modify the cabinet and get it all in.

Our appliance repair guy said to avoid using the oven clean cycle -- he's seen enough boards go bad from that. Since then, I have just cleaned it manually.

The ovens have worked well. The biggest downside is that they take a LONG time to come up to temp -- on the order of a half hour. And, they are still warm inside 5-6 hours after you turn them off. Second biggest downside is that I have to carefully measure sheet pans/roasting pans before buying to make sure they fit.

willygreen

Post by willygreen » Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wolf double ovens.
My wolf range is 17 years old and just had it's first repair. Paid $400 to replace some valves. It was made in the USA and everything is repairable.

My repair guy had 20 years of experience across many brands, so I picked his brain on what he has to repair the most. He told me that Wolf and Thermador are the only high end brands he would ever buy, with Wolf in the lead. In terms of the regular quality brands, he said he would buy Whirlpool followed by KitchenAid.

He said that GE was the worst brand in terms of quality issues, and difficulty to repair. And not to buy cooking equipment from Miele; they are better at washing machines. And that Bosch has the best dishwashers.

Just some anecdotal advice, but he did really seem to know his stuff.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 pm

willygreen wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
Wolf double ovens.
My wolf range is 17 years old and just had it's first repair. Paid $400 to replace some valves. It was made in the USA and everything is repairable.

My repair guy had 20 years of experience across many brands, so I picked his brain on what he has to repair the most. He told me that Wolf and Thermador are the only high end brands he would ever buy, with Wolf in the lead. In terms of the regular quality brands, he said he would buy Whirlpool followed by KitchenAid.

He said that GE was the worst brand in terms of quality issues, and difficulty to repair. And not to buy cooking equipment from Miele; they are better at washing machines. And that Bosch has the best dishwashers.

Appreciate you taking the time to share this info. Any details on built-in refrigerators (if that is what they are called)?

House I got has:
Wolf double oven
Kitchen-aid fridge with cabinet panels
Bosch dishwasher
Viking cooktop gas (2005 or 2006)
Viking microwave died so we got a simple GE.

Scares me if any or all of those fail and need replaced.

Bogle7

Re: frigo

Post by Bogle7 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 pm

mortfree wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 pm
How tall is your fridge?

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri May 31, 2019 9:00 pm

mortfree wrote:
willygreen wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
Wolf double ovens.

Appreciate you taking the time to share this info. Any details on built-in refrigerators (if that is what they are called)?

House I got has:
Wolf double oven
Bosch dishwasher
Viking cooktop gas (2005 or 2006)
Viking microwave died so we got a simple GE.

Scares me if any or all of those fail and need replaced.
I really like my SubZero refrigerator/freezer and 2 undercounter refrigerators. Wolf/SubZero customer service is excellent. I had a part “that never fails” fail on my SubZero about 1 year after warranty ended. SubZero agreed to pay for part, labor and gave me partial reimbursement towards food in freezer that spoiled.

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 pm

Been very happy with my Bosch. I've had it for eight years without a problem.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 am

Are you sure the installer has followed the instructions for ventilation to the letter (or even allowed a bit more)? Even our very cheap wall ovens have lasted over 10 years.

aurora

Post by aurora » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:04 pm

We just installed the ge french door double wall ovens. Absolutely love the french door on the top oven. The ovens do take longer to heat up to temp but they r both quiet ovens. We purchased ours through lowes and bc of all the fancy electronics we purchased the lowes warranty plan. We have been very satisfied with lowes installation service and coverage under their warranty. We purchased the lg french door 4 door fridge from them and had one issue that was resolved quickly. They contract with local repair persons unlike the manufacturer who may only have an out of town repair person available and you sit and wait for the repair to be scheduled.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:20 pm

What is the advantage of the French door ovens? I have not used one or even seen one in a friend's house.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 pm
mortfree wrote:
How tall is your fridge?
Fridge part is around 6’2” tall. Then the compressor is on top For a total 6’11”.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:46 pm

mortfree wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:21 pm
Fridge part is around 6’2” tall. Then the compressor is on top For a total 6’11”.
AKA 84 inches.
Replacement cost will be $9200 USD.

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:40 pm

Our Bosch wall ovens are a good excuse to order takeout. We should probably start preheating them a day in advance. Assuming they are original to the house they are about 15 years old.

aurora

Post by aurora » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:38 am

The advantage of french door is convenience and safety because you dont have to lean over the oven door to access what is in oven. For that reason, it is easier if you need to baste items in the oven or turn them over because you no longer have the oven door blocking ur access.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 pm

aurora wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:38 am
The advantage of french door is convenience and safety because you dont have to lean over the oven door to access what is in oven. For that reason, it is easier if you need to baste items in the oven or turn them over because you no longer have the oven door blocking ur access.
Thank you!

I tend to remove the pan from the oven to toss or baste something, so I hadn't thought of that. My current double ovens each have one rack that pulls out on wheels (of a sort). I guess that in-oven basting must have been the task behind the pull-out racks.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:38 pm

aurora wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:38 am
because you no longer have the oven door blocking ur access.
Or, https://www.neff.com.au/discover-neff/u ... e-and-hide