TV Speakers/sound bar/bose wave

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
silentfaith

TV Speakers/sound bar/bose wave

Post by silentfaith » Tue May 28, 2019 12:04 pm

I know you can improve the sound on tv's and there are a number of sound bars available to hook up. I wonder if a bose wave cd/radio is just as good as a $200 sound bar? I have the bose and hooked it to my tv through the AUX jack , it sounds much better but I have to turn the tv sound way down to avoid an echo.

Re: TV Speakers/sound bar/bose wave

Post by 123 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 pm

TV sound is really a matter of what works for you in your home. If using the radio system as an additional speaker gives good results for you I'd try it for awhile. Depending on the soundbar it could turn out that the radio might give almost the same fidelity. Almost anything is better than the tiny speakers built into TVs these days. It also depends on what you watch. Some content doesn't need exacting overwhelming audio. If you want to rattle the house watching action movies you might need more.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:45 pm

It's not hard to beat the tiny speakers most modern TV's have, especially since they're usually aimed the wrong way. I've never listened to a Bose Wave, but it's probably closer in performance to a $200 soundbar than to the internal speakers, and I would not be surprised if it outperforms the most basic soundbars. Is it equally as good as a $200 soundbar? It's hard to say without directly comparing them.

When I first bought a flatscreen TV, since the sound was so much weaker (although thankfully clear-sounding) than the CRT it replaced, I spent a couple months with a Sony bookshelf stereo hooked up to the TV via RCA jacks. It was an eyesore on the living room floor, but it significantly helped. I'd still definitely rate a dedicated home theater system as providing an easily noticeable improvement, but the most noticeable improvement was stepping up from the internal speakers.

There may be a setting in your TV's settings menus to turn off sound to the internal speakers specifically for those using external speakers.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am

I picked up a Vizio SB2920 Sound Bar from Amazon and have been using it for years. Current price is under $80. I see some others in the $60-$70 range.

I'm totally happy with it. I will note that I'm not very picky, but even I could tell the TV speakers were tinny junk, and just having the next step up made a huge difference and was plenty good for my purposes. $200 is probably overkill unless you're really into audio quality.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:57 am

You might consider picking up a used Bose Cinemate system.

We have a Bose Cinemate 15 on one TV. Single speaker, subwoofer, remote. Amazing sound. Deep bass and clear sound.

We have a Bose Cinemate GS II system on the other TV. Two front speakers, subwoofer, remote. Also amazing sound.

These have one cable coming from the TV to the input unit. A single digital optical cable out from the TV.

Bose doesn't sell either of these systems, but they can be found for sale on eBay and I've found them on Cragislist and similar.

I can't do the tinny, shrill sound from the small TV speakers. Some newer models are improving, but you just can't get good sound from those tiny little speakers.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am

Look for something called ZVOX.

Vastly superior sound to what is in tv. I have a unit which is 4 yrs old.

Go to zvox.com

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed May 29, 2019 12:08 pm

IF you can put your TV in a corner space so the the sound from those back speakers is reflected into the room the native TV sound is pretty good. Even better than a sound bar IMO.

I say this because I have two identical 65 inch 4K LG TVs. One is situated on a flat wall and hooked up to a sound bar. In that installation the native TV sound was terrible so we got the sound bar. The sound improved but the music content is too amplified so it makes the voices hard to hear. Plus our sound bar makes everything sound like it comes from a single point below the picture. And the sub woofer "booms" a lot so we keep it turned off. Overall the sound is not very good.

My other LG TV is located in the corner of a big room. It has no external speakers and sounds fine. The key is the TV back facing speakers reflect off the corner walls and out into the room.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:58 am
Look for something called ZVOX.

Vastly superior sound to what is in tv. I have a unit which is 4 yrs old.

Go to zvox.com
They are pretty solid. I have one in my bedroom. The ideal solution is speakers with a receiver but that may not be practical in some rooms due to cost/size/space issues.

josehde

Post by josehde » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am
I picked up a Vizio SB2920 Sound Bar from Amazon and have been using it for years. Current price is under $80. I see some others in the $60-$70 range.

I'm totally happy with it. I will note that I'm not very picky, but even I could tell the TV speakers were tinny junk, and just having the next step up made a huge difference and was plenty good for my purposes. $200 is probably overkill unless you're really into audio quality.
Glad I hit the search bar to look for soundbar discussions. I've been planning to get a soundbar and was on the edge about getting one for less than a hundred bucks. I mean many models seem legit, but I didn't know if they'd even sound good, so I was willing to stretch my budget to something in the $200 range. I actually first encountered Vizio SB2920 on this page, but I was leaning more into getting another model that's also quite cheap at under $100 options. Your comment changed my mind instantly. LOL. Gotta try this one first before I upgrade to something more expensive.

THANK YOU!

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm

To create good sound speakers need to move quite a bit of air - especially for bass. That is impossible in a 2" thick plastic HDTV case. For years I had my TV hooked up to a home theater receiver with decent bookshelfs for L/R, a center and wired subwoofer plus rear surrounds built into the wall. Sounded good but took up a lot of space while collecting tons of dust. When rearranged the room I went with a Vizio soundbar (figured I would match the TV for best compatibility) with a wireless subwoofer and rear surrounds that wire to the sub. Forget the model but it was somewhere around $250. Sounds great and shakes the house if you want it to.

Unless you are just watching the news, get something with at least the subwoofer. It can be placed just about anywhere since low frequencies are not directional. Mine sits under an end table.

Also look for devices that support ARC - audio return channel. One HDMI port on the TV will usually be capable so a singhle HDMI cable connected to the soundbar will cause everything to work automatically. The TV volume will control the soundbar and switching inputs on the TV will automatically send the correct audio to the soundbar.

I bought one of the original Bose Acoustamass 2.1 system decades ago. It sounded good but was crazy expensive. Bose is good at marketing and makes good stuff, but there is equal or better out there for less money.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 am

Sonos Playbar and Sub...then call it a day...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

snowox

Post by snowox » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:33 am

Summit111 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 am

Summit

+1

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 am

I love my Sony ht-st5000. Small, great sound, atmos. I do wish it had a rear channel, but otherwise totally satisfied.

psy1

Post by psy1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:47 pm

As stated, flat screen speakers are generally horrible. A soundbar is a decent improvement but won't be as good as a true surround sound setup. You do need a subwoofer with a soundbar.

I like Bose, have multiple sets of headphones and earbuds, and used to have a 5.1 Acoustimass surround sound setup. I would avoid Bose. The "brains" of Bose is in the subwoofer. Any troubleshooting requires that you ship the massively heavy subwoofer. I did that and they returned it telling me it was fine. Yet no sound came out of it. I had no recourse and it was junk. I had to junk it and the damn cube speakers are still hanging from my ceiling - did not want the added cost of repairing the 5 holes in the dry wall. I was unimpressed with Bose customer service and felt ripped off.

A much better option is Sonos. Relatively expensive and not the absolute best sound - but they are simple, they work, and they can be controlled from your phone. You don't need any other components like a receiver or amplifier. You can play any music source from your phone. Alexa works with Sonos. When friends are over they can pick play lists or tell Alexa to play songs. With Sonos it is easy to add speakers to other rooms and all are interconnected wirelessly.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:57 pm

silentfaith wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:04 pm
I have the bose and hooked it to my tv through the AUX jack , it sounds much better but I have to turn the tv sound way down to avoid an echo.
Virtually all TVs have an option to turn off the internal speakers, so that sound is only output on external speakers. Some also allow variable output level so that the remote can still adjust the volume even with external speakers.

The Bose radio sounds decent (though it's been a long time since I've heard one). Its main limitation compared to good soundbars will be the width - the drivers are very close together so there will be little stereo separation at any normal TV viewing distance. Many sound bars are much wider and can create a better sense of sound stage. And of course those with subwoofer (like our Vizio, which sounds quite good) can produce much more bass for movie sound effects. Yamaha makes good ones as well. A little higher up the price range the Sonos Beam ($400) is well-reviewed, but that's without a subwoofer. I wouldn't spend any more than about $400, as you could get "real" speakers that perform better.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

josehde wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm
Quirkz wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am

Glad I hit the search bar to look for soundbar discussions. I've been planning to get a soundbar and was on the edge about getting one for less than a hundred bucks. I mean many models seem legit, but I didn't know if they'd even sound good, so I was willing to stretch my budget to something in the $200 range. I actually first encountered Vizio SB2920 on this page, but I was leaning more into getting another model that's also quite cheap at under $100 options. Your comment changed my mind instantly. LOL. Gotta try this one first before I upgrade to something more expensive.

THANK YOU!
Quite welcome. Hope it does the job for you.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 pm

psy1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:47 pm
As stated, flat screen speakers are generally horrible. A soundbar is a decent improvement but won't be as good as a true surround sound setup. You do need a subwoofer with a soundbar.
I'll admit, I don't get the value of a subwoofer. I just find myself thinking, "Why is this device going 'buzz, buzz, buzz' all the time?" I want to be able to hear the words and the music, which a soundbar does just fine, and a bunch of buzzing doesn't seem to ever enhance either, but it sure carries through walls and annoys people in other rooms.

I suppose I should do a side-by-side test sometime, or it's possible I've been around a lot of low-quality or poorly set up subwoofers. But for me it's like having a large vibrating phone going off repeatedly in the middle of a show.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:31 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 pm
psy1 wrote:
I'll admit, I don't get the value of a subwoofer. I just find myself thinking, "Why is this device going 'buzz, buzz, buzz' all the time?" I want to be able to hear the words and the music, which a soundbar does just fine, and a bunch of buzzing doesn't seem to ever enhance either, but it sure carries through walls and annoys people in other rooms.

I suppose I should do a side-by-side test sometime, or it's possible I've been around a lot of low-quality or poorly set up subwoofers. But for me it's like having a large vibrating phone going off repeatedly in the middle of a show.
That's a little bit like going to a concert and saying, "I don't get what the drummer is doing, why is this instrument going boom, boom, boom all the time?" Properly used, a subwoofer should not draw attention to itself. Sure, if you turn the subwoofer level all the way up or if it's defective, then all you notice is buzz, buzz, buzz.

I'm no basshead, but very few soundbars can reproduce anything close to the full range of frequencies - the small drivers often cannot even produce mid- or high bass, much less low bass. Some of the better soundbars sound fine without a subwoofer, but even they will benefit from a subwoofer for sound effects and most types of music.

It's a different story of course if you have full-range speakers that can produce bass. Then the added value of a subwoofer is less, and it really has to be a good subwoofer that is carefully matched to the speaker.

emoore

Post by emoore » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 am

Summit
Another vote for Sonos. Simple to setup and good sound (but not great). Unless you want to have a dedicated home theater room I think it's the best option since you can add speakers and have them play the same thing or different stuff from different sources.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm

silentfaith wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:04 pm
I know you can improve the sound on tv's and there are a number of sound bars available to hook up. I wonder if a bose wave cd/radio is just as good as a $200 sound bar? I have the bose and hooked it to my tv through the AUX jack , it sounds much better but I have to turn the tv sound way down to avoid an echo.
I had an in home demo of that unit several years back. I had a CD with various frequency tones and a sound pressure meter to test it and it failed at playing decent sound completely. ... even the salesman agreed how poorly it did as tested. For more than the last twenty years I have enjoyed a full home theater setup manufactured by NHT. The downside (of course) is we are talking near $5K with proper cables, amplification, sub-woofer and such. When I moved to my current apartment I wanted to setup the living room but as invisibly as possibly. I purchased Bose small cubes for left and right channel, also their center and side channel speakers. I probably got away for $700 or so dollars before adding amplification and sub-woofer(s), call it $2500 or so all together.

Only U can judge for U if the improvements you make meet your satisfaction although expecting much of a gain for $200 doesn't seem realistic to me.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Quirkz wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 pm
psy1 wrote:

It's going buzz, buzz, buzz all the time because you haven't set it up properly or you have already over driven and broken it.. Sub-woofers operate in the frequency range that is not directional. If it is calling attention to itself roll the cut-off back to about 40 to 60 cycles and the volume to half. Over playing material run the volume up until you notice the unit, then a bit back down until you don't. That's about the easiest way to set one by ear and listening