Electric Wood Chipper?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retiredjg

Electric Wood Chipper?

Post by retiredjg » Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 am

I'm looking for suggestions on an electric wood chipper. Something that will chip branches up to maybe 1.5 inches or thereabouts.

I'm not interested in gasoline.

Housedoc

Re: Electric Wood Chipper?

Post by Housedoc » Mon May 27, 2019 9:20 am

Check out Harbor Freight. Buy the Xtra warranty and chip away.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:22 am

IMO if you really have enough brush to need to chip it up, you need more than an electric chipper. But, good luck with the approach you choose.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am

I doubt an electric one could do branches that big, at least consistently. Maybe a perfectly straight balsa wood branch or something. The problem is that you're limited by the power of an approx. 14 amp motor. That's what a residential typical 110V outlet can provide, so that's what the motor will usually be. Maybe there's an unusual 240V 3-phase model out there somewhere, but that's an entirely different thing than something that will plug into a typical outlet.
Semper Augustus

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon May 27, 2019 1:50 pm

Most of them have their max size about where you want, but that doesn't mean they do a good job of course. This is not one I have any experience with, just an example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerSmart- ... /300128893

If you get if from HD or the like, you can take it back if it doesn't work for you.

You can find a number of YouTube review/demo videos of candidates. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUK-4_mLPc

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 pm

Last September I bought a little electric chipper /shredder Wen model #41121 from Home Depot :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-15-Amp- ... /305094298

I used it several times last and this year to chip up pine branches and cuttings from bushes, just to remove small piles after raking and pruning. The $125 (plus tax) were worth it. Now it sits in my garage waiting for fall. Max branch wooden stick diameter is 1.5 inch.

These smaller versions are easier to store in a garage, no comparison to a lawnmower or snowblower which need sizable floor space.

Larger size branches with up to 3 inch diameter I bundle for the town to pick up every week, larger than 3 inches go into the garbage can after cutting it to fit the can.
Last edited by likegarden on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:01 pm

I am having one of these delivered tomorrow!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V ... UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, no report on it yet....

But I had a Craftsman electric unit that I used for 20 years, until a tree fell on it. I used it to make mulch. Otherwise I just make brush piles for critters to enjoy.

We have 12 acres of mature (90 foot tall) hardwoods, so it got a lot of use. I had good luck with branches up to about 1.5 inches.

They chip much better when they're green. Forks need to be cut in half first.

Anything bigger than 1.5 inches or so goes into the fire wood pile as kindling. I do occasionally rent a larger gas unit, but IMO, there is a definite niche for the electric versions.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:30 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:01 pm
I am having one of these delivered tomorrow!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V ... UTF8&psc=1

Obviously, no report on it yet....

But I had a Craftsman electric unit that I used for 20 years, until a tree fell on it. I used it to make mulch. Otherwise I just make brush piles for critters to enjoy.

We have 12 acres of mature (90 foot tall) hardwoods, so it got a lot of use. I had good luck with branches up to about 1.5 inches.

They chip much better when they're green. Forks need to be cut in half first.

Anything bigger than 1.5 inches or so goes into the fire wood pile as kindling. I do occasionally rent a larger gas unit, but IMO, there is a definite niche for the electric versions.
To follow up, so far so good!

I've used this thing for about 10 hours so far. And I like it!

It actually does better with dry wood versus green. It will chew up 1" branches like nothing. 1.5" is a bit slower, but not a problem.

And it will accept branches with a lot of twigs on them, if you feed them in trunk end first.

It will NOT chop leaves. It's optimized as a chipper, not a shredder.

I almost never do this, but I spent $15 for an extra 3 year warranty. I plan to use it a lot, and 5 years of use for $115 seems like a deal to me.

Just make sure you have proper extension cords for it. I bought an extra 50 foot 12 gauge cord so I can go 100 feet if need be. I already had one 50 footer.

You can fit a 5 gallon bucket under it, but it will lean and is not optimal. Still, I filled one up with wood chips in about 10 minutes.

Very satisfied so far!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:10 am

Thanks for the update.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:40 am

retiredjg wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 am
I'm looking for suggestions on an electric wood chipper. Something that will chip branches up to maybe 1.5 inches or thereabouts.

I'm not interested in gasoline.
To be honest i think you will be highly disappointed in the performance. It's nothing like the big chippers the tree companies use. I had a decent size gas one and it was very time consuming and you had to cut every branch so that it was nearly straight or nothing would happen...Be sure to watch videos of similar models as i presume electric would be even more challenging. Now that being said if you are just using it for leaves and little teeny tiny trimmings you may be fine, but ymmv.