No more print Money magazine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CyberBob

No more print Money magazine

Post by CyberBob » Sat May 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Many of us probably got some of our initial interest in investing from reading Money magazine. Sadly, the June/July 2019 issue is going to be the last one in print.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/w ... -on-alert/

runner3081

Re: No more print Money magazine

Post by runner3081 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Can't read the article you linked because of AdBlocker.

Odd coincidence, was just reading Money today (freebie sub)! Makes sense, they post the same articles online for the most part.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sat May 25, 2019 11:26 pm

TYCB :wink:
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun May 26, 2019 2:38 am

Sad to see it go. Are they refunding money for those of us who paid past June/July issue? I recently renewed for two years.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun May 26, 2019 4:55 am

I was a subscriber for many years but finally dropped it a few years ago because I got better info from free online sites.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun May 26, 2019 5:01 am

Rats. Now I'll have to read "Highlights for Children" in the dentist's waiting room.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

student

Post by student » Sun May 26, 2019 5:14 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 pm
Can't read the article you linked because of AdBlocker.

Odd coincidence, was just reading Money today (freebie sub)! Makes sense, they post the same articles online for the most part.
Here is another article https://www.adweek.com/digital/money-ma ... ital-only/

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 am

My Dad got me a subscription when I entered college. That and a compassionate Corporate Finance 101 Professor who added teaching his students about investing $1,000 each year for ten years and coming out ahead of someone who waited ten years and invested $1,000 each year until retirement to his curriculum sparked my interest in low cost and early investing.

Lots of fluff in every magazine but a little sad to hear that today.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Sun May 26, 2019 6:53 am

Oh, MONEY MAGAZINE! That's a blast from the past!

MONEY was my first financial magazine, along with FORBES and FORTUNE. I read them avidly for years before I began to take my own investments seriously.

As I became a little savvier, I learned all that MONEY had to teach and saw how MONEY's perspective was a little thin and skewed by its advertisers and eventually dropped it (though that might be a little cause/effect or effect/cause dilemma, since those actively managed mutual funds found their market through this publication, so advertised there). In any case, yes, the passing of an era.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sun May 26, 2019 7:25 am

I finally canceled Money Magazine last month after getting it for over 30 years. They did credit my credit card for the unused part of the subscription. What's next, Consumer Reports?

cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:49 am

Wait, what’s a magazine again?

Rager1

Post by Rager1 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 am

I'm sorry to see Money Magazine go. We discovered Bogleheads through Jason Zwieg's September 2001 article "Here Come the Bogleheads". WIthout that article, we may have never known about the Bogleheads.

Ed

am

Post by am » Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 am

Sad to see it go. For 10 bucks subscription I’d flip through it and get some decent articles. I especially liked the stories about people’s personal finances. It’s nice to see people retiring on reasonable amounts and not asking if 70k spend on 4 mil is going to be ok :D

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun May 26, 2019 9:36 am

Yes, a blast from the past.

I subscribed to MONEY magazine in 2004 or so, when I purchased tax software and there was a card in there for the magazine. I paid like $10 or so. Really enjoyed it the first year. Some of the life lessons I learned from the magazine:

a) Introduction to Index Investing and why it works better than actively managed funds.
b) Invest in your human capital in your 20's. This encouraged me to go back to school to get my Masters degree, which has done nothing for my career but that is besides the point.
c) Save, save, save

After 1 year, the articles became repetitive, so I didn't resubscribe. I did resubscribe about 10 years after that, but didn't find anything new in the magazine. They offered if I didn't save $1500 through the magazine subscription they would refund my subscription cost. I e-mailed them to ask for a refund, which they provided promptly.

It's was a good magazine for those just starting to sit down and look at finances. i.e., young people primarily. It didn't have a lot of advanced information in my opinion.

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Sun May 26, 2019 11:09 am

After subscribing to Money for over 30 years, I let my subscription lapse recently because I just wasn't learning anything new anymore. I still subscribe to Kiplinger Personal Finance and Retirement Report FYIW.

juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra » Sun May 26, 2019 11:24 am

miamivice wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:36 am

After 1 year, the articles became repetitive, so I didn't resubscribe.

It's was a good magazine for those just starting to sit down and look at finances. i.e., young people primarily. It didn't have a lot of advanced information in my opinion.
I agree.
1) the audience for the magazine isn't a sophisticated hedge fund investor. It's for people who need to understand thr basics in an easy way. Money mag is a tricycle, a starter kit to finance. So while one grows out of Money mag, we should be a little sad because there is an audience who will not be served. (Analogy: we grow out of kindergarten, and don't need to anymore. But it still served an important function in society to teach the basics!)
2) yeah, articles became repetitive, but let's be honest, the basics of personal finance (e.g., invest wisely, have insurance) don't really change. Finance invents lots of new tools and bells and whistles, but most people are best served sticking to the basics, and we all can use a good reminder to not be distracted and stick to fundamentals. I mean look at the archives of this posting board. People are always asking if index funds are good, why they should invest in bonds, if they should buy at all time highs in the stock market, if they can retire at 55...news flash, boneheads is way repetitive, and sometimes repetitive to the point of boredom. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in society.

cheers,
jwf
If you aren't familiar with Mr. Bogle and his investment philosophy, then you don't know Jack!

lomarica01

Post by lomarica01 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:28 am

while I am a subscriber I will not miss it. 50% of the articles do not apply to me ie how to save for college, tips for women in business etc... and I would usually be able to read it in about an hour. But the subscription was so cheap I figured it was still ok to get it.

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:28 am

What happens to existing subscriptions? Is the digital version going to be a magazine that can be downloaded as a pdf?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 am

Rager1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 am
I'm sorry to see Money Magazine go. We discovered Bogleheads through Jason Zwieg's September 2001 article "Here Come the Bogleheads". WIthout that article, we may have never known about the Bogleheads.

Ed
And for that, Marlene and I are eternally grateful. You and Patti have become such good friends as a result of our work together, organizing the Bogleheads Conferences and serving together on the Board of The John C. Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

And I still keep in touch with Jason. He's one of the "good guys". As you know, he attended last year's Conference and was a panel member of the Q&A with the Experts session.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun May 26, 2019 11:41 am

Back in 2012, Taylor, Laura (the Queen of the Bogleheads) and I were honored as Money Heroes for Investor Education by Money Magazine. I considered it recognition of the good work that this forum was doing and accepted on behalf of all the Bogleheads who contributed to the success of the forum. I didn't realize until then that they even knew our forum existed at the corporate level.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

JPH

Post by JPH » Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am

nisiprius wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:01 am
Rats. Now I'll have to read "Highlights for Children" in the dentist's waiting room.
Exactly! I too look for Money in the waiting rooms.
When I inherited a small amount of money many years ago I decided to make my first investment. I purchased the copy of Money with the year-end fund rankings and put everything on Fidelity Magellan, the winner that year.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Wow, I've never found anything as interesting as Money at the dentist office!

I think it was Money mag and Bob Brinker that got me to finally move my investments to vanguard.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Rager1 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 am
Ed
And without the print version back in the late '80s, I might not have known about Jack Bigle and indexing, or the high costs of stockbrokers, or Jason Zweig, or Chuck Jaffe, author of the article the OP links to. In that article, btw, Jaffe provides important caveats for consumers of personal finance publications. Interestingly, it's the.kind of sound advice he once wrote in "Money" magazine's print version.
"John Bogle has changed a basic industry in the optimal direction. Of very few can this be said." ~Paul A. Samuelson

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun May 26, 2019 2:54 pm

I've been subscribing to Money for several years -- ever since they offered me a $10 annual price. Each year they would ask me to renew at $15, and I would hold out until I got an offer for $10. I repeatedly told myself that I would stop subscribing if the $10 offer never came through. This year it didn't, and my last issue of Money arrived last month -- and it is stacked up with a couple of other unread issues. Oh, well.

I got a surprise the other morning, though, when an alert from my CC card indicated that a charge of $1.99 had just been approved. I was worried it was an attempt to hijack my CC. Turns out that Barnes & Noble was now going to start charging me for the digital edition, which I had access to through my Nook account. Called and got that cancelled (almost never used the digital subscription), but no one hinted that the magazine was about to cease publication.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:16 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Too funny.
True story.
At age 8 my dentist had comic books in the waiting room.
At age 10 we moved and the new dentist only had Highlights for Children. I refused to go to this dentist. And, my strict parents let me get away with my demand.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Magellan Fund - - from winner to loser

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun May 26, 2019 3:32 pm

JPH wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am

When I inherited a small amount of money many years ago I decided to make my first investment. I purchased the copy of Money with the year-end fund rankings and put everything on Fidelity Magellan, the winner that year.
JPH:

I hope this forum encouraged you to sell your "winner" Magellan fund.

Morningstar currently ranks the Magellan fund in the bottom 11% of all funds in its category.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

GerryL

Re: Magellan Fund - - from winner to loser

Post by GerryL » Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:32 pm
JPH wrote:

JPH:

Morningstar currently ranks the Magellan fund in the bottom 11% of all funds in its category.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I got my first lesson on mutual fund investing ~25 years ago from a feature article in Consumer Reports. The take away was to focus on the cost of the fund, so I chose the stock fund (Dodge & Cox) on the list with the lowest ER.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun May 26, 2019 4:14 pm

I guess Money subscribers voted with their feet.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun May 26, 2019 4:27 pm

I think this is good news for investors.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Rager1 wrote: I'm sorry to see Money Magazine go. We discovered Bogleheads through Jason Zwieg's September 2001 article "Here Come the Bogleheads". WIthout that article, we may have never known about the Bogleheads.

Ed
Here is Jason's article (in 2 parts) from the Sept. 2001 Money Magazine.

http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/9-01bogleheads1/
http://jasonzweig.com/a-golden-oldie/9-01bogleheads2/

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun May 26, 2019 7:56 pm

juliewongferra wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:24 am
miamivice wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:36 am

After 1 year, the articles became repetitive, so I didn't resubscribe.

I agree.
1) the audience for the magazine isn't a sophisticated hedge fund investor. It's for people who need to understand thr basics in an easy way. Money mag is a tricycle, a starter kit to finance. So while one grows out of Money mag, we should be a little sad because there is an audience who will not be served. (Analogy: we grow out of kindergarten, and don't need to anymore. But it still served an important function in society to teach the basics!)
2) yeah, articles became repetitive, but let's be honest, the basics of personal finance (e.g., invest wisely, have insurance) don't really change. Finance invents lots of new tools and bells and whistles, but most people are best served sticking to the basics, and we all can use a good reminder to not be distracted and stick to fundamentals. I mean look at the archives of this posting board. People are always asking if index funds are good, why they should invest in bonds, if they should buy at all time highs in the stock market, if they can retire at 55...news flash, boneheads is way repetitive, and sometimes repetitive to the point of boredom. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in society.

cheers,
jwf
I'm not disagreeing with anything you wrote.

I think I had perhaps a touch of sadness when I resubcribed. MONEY magazine was great when I was 22. When I decided to become reacquinated with MONEY magazine when I was 37, perhaps some part of me hoped that MONEY matured just as I had matured, and it'd have great advice when I was 37. Unfortuantely, MONEY was still 22 years old.

I guess I realized that I am growing old while MONEY was not.....

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm

I have had a continuous subscription to "Money" magazine since January 1965 (along with "Kiplinger's Personal Finance) and just renewed Money on April 30th for another three years at $10 per year.

I refuse to read magazines online so I called their customer service to cancel my renewal which would have started in two months. Here is a tip if you call. Ignore the advisory you receive when you call that indicates they will post information online in 60 to 90 days about your subscription. Instead move on to the option that allows you to talk with someone and that person will gladly process your cancellation request. And in my case credit the credit card account I paid the renewal with.
Tom D.

cap396

Post by cap396 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Will they still have a monthly digital version of the magazine, or will they now only have a website? They updated their app for reading the digital version of the magazine not too long ago.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sun May 26, 2019 8:35 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm
I have had a continuous subscription to "Money" magazine since January 1965...
‘Money” was first published in October 1972.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Sorry Gill. I thought they both started at the same time, but apparently not. :oops: Kiplinger's Personal Finance (formerly Changing Times) did confirm when my subscription started. In fact they mentioned the 50th anniversary in their Letters to the Editor section after the anniversary.
Tom D.

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 pm

I just read the last issue today but did not notice the Editor's Note that this was the last print issue. Seems to me they should have made it more prominent and stated how they would refund their subscribers. I have subscribed for many decades mostly out of habit but felt I got enough out of it for $10/year. The last issue has a story on the $2 million scam by a former Vanguard Supervisor.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (magazine).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun May 26, 2019 11:41 pm

I still have a stack of unread issues from the last half a year or so, so for me the end will come a bit later :twisted: I usually take them on airplane trips as reading material that gets discarded (recycled, left for there to read) along the way.

While in the past I paid for subscriptions, in recent years I used them to keep various frequent flyer accounts alive.

I have to credit them or Smart Money for turning me into a Boglehead many years ago by introducing me to Vanguard and indexing. Back in the day (late 90s) I bought a ton of personal finance mags. I could have done worse (responded to financial “advisors” who cold-called at work, for example).

RIP, Money magazine. I don’t think I will bother with the digital edition. Too much other digital content vying for my limited attention span. All these Bogleheads threads don’t read themselves.

JPH

Re: Magellan Fund - - from winner to loser

Post by JPH » Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:32 pm
JPH wrote:

JPH:

Best wishes.
Taylor
I did sell at a nice profit. And, yes, directly because of things I learned on this forum.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon May 27, 2019 7:16 am

Fallible wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 12:18 pm
And without the print version back in the late '80s, I might not have known about Jack Bigle and indexing,
Who is Jack Bigle, and what does he have to say about indexing? :happy

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 am

I haven't purchased Money in years as my library has had the digital version available for a number of years. I always pick up a hint or reminder about various things so in that sense it still has value. They also have the digital version of Kiplingers which I also read.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Mon May 27, 2019 7:48 am

What printed magazines remain for finance/investing? Forbes, Kiplinger? Anything else? They all seem to be going away. SmartMoney disappeared years ago.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 am

tomd37 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:03 pm
I have had a continuous subscription to "Money" magazine since January 1965 (along with "Kiplinger's Personal Finance) and just renewed Money on April 30th for another three years at $10 per year.

I refuse to read magazines online so I called their customer service to cancel my renewal which would have started in two months. Here is a tip if you call. Ignore the advisory you receive when you call that indicates they will post information online in 60 to 90 days about your subscription. Instead move on to the option that allows you to talk with someone and that person will gladly process your cancellation request. And in my case credit the credit card account I paid the renewal with.
You posted this on a holiday week end without saying when you called. I assumed you had just done it. I just tried calling but they are closed until Tuesday. I went online and it seems they have possibly deleted some of their sites. My latest magazine is May ( I have not received the June/July issue) and it states to go to money.com/myaccount. Safari could not find the server. I went to money.com and clicked on customer service. Not good. If you click subscribe it takes you to magazine.com (or something like that). I did not order through them. I was hoping to cancel online. I guess I'll have to call Tuesday.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am

mbres60,
I called their customer service number of 1-877-604-6510 at 2:20pm CDT on Saturday, May 25th. I believe ownership of the magazine has changed recently as they now have all new account numbers. I ran into the same situation with my other financial magazine "Kiplinger's Personal Finance" which was taken over not too long ago by the same foreign company that publishes "The Week" magazine.
Tom D.

exoilman

Post by exoilman » Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 am

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:53 am
Oh, MONEY MAGAZINE! That's a blast from the past!

MONEY was my first financial magazine, along with FORBES and FORTUNE. I read them avidly for years before I began to take my own investments seriously.

As I became a little savvier, I learned all that MONEY had to teach and saw how MONEY's perspective was a little thin and skewed by its advertisers and eventually dropped it (though that might be a little cause/effect or effect/cause dilemma, since those actively managed mutual funds found their market through this publication, so advertised there). In any case, yes, the passing of an era.
+1

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Mon May 27, 2019 10:13 am

There was always content that was not relevant to me and my financial situation, but Money was definitely worth the $10 for me (recently renewed for $8 with a Groupon - it will be interesting to see how that gets unwound :wink:) and I'm sorry to see the print edition go. I always looked forward to quickly reading through my Kiplinger's and Money magazines each month for investing, retirement, consumer and travel stories.
am wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 am
Sad to see it go. For 10 bucks subscription I’d flip through it and get some decent articles. I especially liked the stories about people’s personal finances. It’s nice to see people retiring on reasonable amounts and not asking if 70k spend on 4 mil is going to be ok :D

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:27 pm

tomd37 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am
mbres60,
I called their customer service number of 1-877-604-6510 at 2:20pm CDT on Saturday, May 25th. I believe ownership of the magazine has changed recently as they now have all new account numbers. I ran into the same situation with my other financial magazine "Kiplinger's Personal Finance" which was taken over not too long ago by the same foreign company that publishes "The Week" magazine.
Thanks! I just called it but the recording says they are closed for the holiday (not a surprise). I'll call tomorrow morn. Originally I called the number in the magazine. It was an 800#.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:09 pm

I had a subscription a few years ago I got just to keep my airline miles account active. I'm sure it was better in the past, but I didn't miss it when the subscription ended.

I referred to it as "Buzzfeed Finance" - a lot of lists without much substance. And while they did occasionally run an article about the advantages of index funds, it just felt like feeler material in the middle of their frequent "top 10 stock picks for (arbitrary time frame)."

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon May 27, 2019 4:39 pm

Subscriber who had not heard this.

Tim

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:08 pm

What's a magazine?