Prius Prime plug in

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Prius Prime plug in

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 am

Hi All,

Does anybody own / have experience with the Prius plug in?

We've been looking for a new care for my wife. I thought she wanted a small SUV, but we test drove the Prius plug in when we visited the Toyota dealer. It is the premium package with larger screen. She really likes it, except it doesn't come with a sun roof. Dealer said they could do an install.

I think it would be great for all the local driving, both full EV and the regular hybrid after the initial 22 miles. But, I was hoping for a car we could also use for longer trips. I know we'll get great gas mileage either way, but what about comfort if you're doing a 4 to 6 hour drive?

Our other car is a 2011 Genesis, which is great, but it sits a little low, and I'm starting to notice a little body stiffness/soreness on the longer rides. Was hoping the higher seats on the SUVs would be an improvement. But, she's most excited about the Prius after test driving the C-VR, CX5, and Rav.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Fri May 24, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abonder

Re: Prius Prime plug in

Post by abonder » Fri May 24, 2019 11:35 am

Can’t speak to the virtues of the Prius prime but I would make one point.

Don’t do a dealer installed sun roof. I would view getting a car without a sun roof as a blessing. One less thing to deal with that can break/leak. In some car circles, models that have the “sunroof delete” option are considered more desirable. If you need a sun roof, find a way to get a model that includes it.

anoop

Post by anoop » Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am

If you are after higher seating but want a plug in hybrid, there are choices out there for a plug in hybrid SUV/crossover.
abonder wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:35 am
Can’t speak to the virtues of the Prius prime but I would make one point.

Don’t do a dealer installed sun roof. I would view getting a car without a sun roof as a blessing. One less thing to deal with that can break/leak. In some car circles, models that have the “sunroof delete” option are considered more desirable. If you need a sun roof, find a way to get a model that includes it.
Totally agree with this. Sunroofs are notorious for exploding. Check this for a Prius-specific one:
https://priuschat.com/threads/exploding-sunroof.125260/

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Fri May 24, 2019 12:09 pm

anoop wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am
Totally agree with this. Sunroofs are notorious for exploding. Check this for a Prius-specific one:
https://priuschat.com/threads/exploding-sunroof.125260/
We had one spontaneously explode during highway driving on a trip a few years ago. I will not willingly buy a sunroof again. (Not on a prius)

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 pm

I'd rate Prius seats as being fair for comfort. In my opinion it's one of the more comfortable cars of the non-luxury brands. I own a 2015 (3rd gen) with "premium" seats. I have sat in the 4th gen with the "premium" faux-leather seats, it wasn't specifically a Prime but I assume the seats are the same between the models. They're very similar to my seats, the stitching is a bit different but they feel about the same and maybe even a bit more comfortable than mine.

FWIW I have almost 140k miles on my Prius. I commute about 45 minutes each way to work and I've taken several 4 hour trips down to NY. Never felt uncomfortable in this car but then again I'm only 25 so older folks may feel differently. I have driven or ridden in recent models of the Ford Fiesta/Focus, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3/6, and Honda Accord among others and I was genuinely uncomfortable after an hour or less in those vehicles. I have also experienced what Lexus and other luxury brands offer. So I think the Prius is above average for its price range, but you can certainly do better by spending a little bit more if comfort is your main priority.

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Fri May 24, 2019 1:51 pm

tea_pirate wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 pm
I'd rate Prius seats as being fair for comfort. In my opinion it's one of the more comfortable cars of the non-luxury brands. I own a 2015 (3rd gen) with "premium" seats. I have sat in the 4th gen with the "premium" faux-leather seats, it wasn't specifically a Prime but I assume the seats are the same between the models. They're very similar to my seats, the stitching is a bit different but they feel about the same and maybe even a bit more comfortable than mine.

FWIW I have almost 140k miles on my Prius. I commute about 45 minutes each way to work and I've taken several 4 hour trips down to NY. Never felt uncomfortable in this car but then again I'm only 25 so older folks may feel differently. I have driven or ridden in recent models of the Ford Fiesta/Focus, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3/6, and Honda Accord among others and I was genuinely uncomfortable after an hour or less in those vehicles. I have also experienced what Lexus and other luxury brands offer. So I think the Prius is above average for its price range, but you can certainly do better by spending a little bit more if comfort is your main priority.
How would you rate a Lexus interior experience (which model did you sit in) vs a Prius?

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri May 24, 2019 1:53 pm

agreed, don't get the sunroof

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Yes - even Sun Roofs that are standard equipment, as the car ages, can leak or have other problems.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri May 24, 2019 3:24 pm

I find our Prius Prime seats (faux leather) to be just fine on 4hr drives (which I rarely do, more likely to do a 2.5hr drive to the beach). Long car drives usually give me low back pain in most cars. The Prius Prime is a little better in this regard with the adjustable lumbar support.

I don't know how your wife drives, but I usually get closer to 30 miles on the battery (27-28 in the winter, 29 in the summer and over 30 in mild spring/fall temperatures). My wife usually gets about 10% lower range when she drives.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm

crossbow wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:51 pm
tea_pirate wrote:

How would you rate a Lexus interior experience (which model did you sit in) vs a Prius?
ES 350 is great and probably the most comfortable car seat I've sat in. Definitely more cushion in these seats. Much nicer interior than the Prius - the Prius has a ton of plastic so even the highest trims can feel cheap. Additionally I feel like cars with a lot of plastic "age" much quicker in terms of how outdated they feel which is a negative for the Prius if you care about your car feeling modern. In my opinion this is the ideal commuter car for someone who doesn't care too much about performance and just wants to get from A to B as reliably and comfortably as possible.

IS 300 the seats are okay, they felt a little hard to me and I think it would get uncomfortable on a longer drive. Again the overall look of the interior blows the Prius away. Really I'm not a fan of this car - it's trying too hard to be aggressive and "sporty" for what is overall still a slow car. As a result the suspension seems fairly stiff and I felt every bump in the road. I'd go with the Prius over the Lexus IS if comfort was a top priority. If performance was important your $40k will go much further almost anywhere else, so I'm not too sure what this car is trying to be. :confused

RX 450h (I believe the one I rode in was a 2014, either way it was definitely previous generation) felt very similar to the ES line, just in SUV form. Ample amount of cushion and again nicer interior styling than the Prius. Personally I dislike SUVs in general, but just considering comfort and interior quality I'd give the RX line the vote over Prius.

Unfortunately I've never gotten to ride in the CT 200h (essentially their upscale Prius), which has now been killed off in the US.

If you live in a hot climate, note that the Prius does not offer ventilated seats on any trim of the car while they seem to be either standard or available as an option on every Lexus model.

tfunk

Post by tfunk » Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Last October, we traded our 2011 Prius Hybrid with 150,000 miles for a 2018 Prius Prime. Our 2011 never had a single service problem. If anything, the 2018 seems a little more comfortable than the 2011. It gets the same gas mileage - around 50 mpg - when on gas. At full plug-in charge it shows 27 mile range, however it gets closer to 33 miles when you take into account the battery charging when going downhill or applying the brakes. We enjoy driving it. They have improved the rear view mirror visibility somewhat - this was my main gripe about the 2011.

We are in California so received $4,500 federal rebate, $1,500 state rebate, and $500 Edison rebate. $6,500 total. That made the car cost very competitive with the non-plug in 2018 Prius. It also has the benefit of single driver in the carpool lane for three years.

I like the large screen of the info system but do not like the gps logic. It is very difficult to use and locks you out of many functions when the car is in motion. I suppose that is for safety but even the passenger cannot use the main functions. We continue using our 4 inch Garmin GPS which has fewer steps to set the destination and has clearer results when searching.

codedude

Post by codedude » Fri May 24, 2019 5:39 pm

Artful,

Love my 2013 Prius plug in basic version (It is not a Prime). No issues so far. Plan to keep it until the wheels fall off or repairs become expensive.

stuyguy

Post by stuyguy » Fri May 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Love our 2017 Advanced. 2020 models have a 5th seat. Check out PriusChat

https://priuschat.com/categories/toyota ... orums.157/

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 pm

tea_pirate wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm
crossbow wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:51 pm
tea_pirate wrote:

ES 350 is great and probably the most comfortable car seat I've sat in. Definitely more cushion in these seats. Much nicer interior than the Prius - the Prius has a ton of plastic so even the highest trims can feel cheap. Additionally I feel like cars with a lot of plastic "age" much quicker in terms of how outdated they feel which is a negative for the Prius if you care about your car feeling modern. In my opinion this is the ideal commuter car for someone who doesn't care too much about performance and just wants to get from A to B as reliably and comfortably as possible.

IS 300 the seats are okay, they felt a little hard to me and I think it would get uncomfortable on a longer drive. Again the overall look of the interior blows the Prius away. Really I'm not a fan of this car - it's trying too hard to be aggressive and "sporty" for what is overall still a slow car. As a result the suspension seems fairly stiff and I felt every bump in the road. I'd go with the Prius over the Lexus IS if comfort was a top priority. If performance was important your $40k will go much further almost anywhere else, so I'm not too sure what this car is trying to be. :confused

RX 450h (I believe the one I rode in was a 2014, either way it was definitely previous generation) felt very similar to the ES line, just in SUV form. Ample amount of cushion and again nicer interior styling than the Prius. Personally I dislike SUVs in general, but just considering comfort and interior quality I'd give the RX line the vote over Prius.

Unfortunately I've never gotten to ride in the CT 200h (essentially their upscale Prius), which has now been killed off in the US.

If you live in a hot climate, note that the Prius does not offer ventilated seats on any trim of the car while they seem to be either standard or available as an option on every Lexus model.
Thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated!

brajalle

Post by brajalle » Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 am

I know you didn't ask about it, but just thought I'd check and see if you guys went to a lot to check out the Honda Clarity. My wife and I ended up liking it better than the Prius Prime, so thought I'd suggest it.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sat May 25, 2019 5:05 am

If you purchase a brand new Prius Prime, please do not let the dealer cut a giant hole in the roof.

An aftermarket sunroof will not have the fit and finish of an OEM one.

You would probably be more likely to have problems down the road.

If I were shopping for a used car and it had an aftermarket sunroof, I would view it as a big negative.

Best of luck with your decision. :D

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 am

By all accounts Prime is a very nice car and cost effective with rebates. Not to mention free HOV in Ca.

Main thing be aware you lose cargo space in the back and spare tire due to the HV battery. also there is only 2 seats in the back (can't recall if the newer ones are full back seat).

For me I will probably go back to regular Prius, or Camry or RAV4 hybrid ,,,got a 2006

hookemhorns

Post by hookemhorns » Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 am

If she likes the Prime she should also look at the Chevy Volt. It has more than 2x the electric range.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:05 am

TBillT wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 am
By all accounts Prime is a very nice car and cost effective with rebates. Not to mention free HOV in Ca.

Main thing be aware you lose cargo space in the back and spare tire due to the HV battery. also there is only 2 seats in the back (can't recall if the newer ones are full back seat).

For me I will probably go back to regular Prius, or Camry or RAV4 hybrid ,,,got a 2006
The 2020 Prius Prime is supposed to have three seats in the back and Apple Carplay.

david99

Post by david99 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am

I own a Prius Prime Plus and it's comfortable on long trips. There isn't a lot of room in the trunk but it's been fine for us. I did have to get snow tires because the tires that it came with were terrible in the snow. Otherwise, it's been a great car so far. You probably know that you get a 4500 federal tax credit and depending on where you live a state rebate.

Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat May 25, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks, everyone. The responses regarding comfort on longer drives are reassuring.

Thanks as well for the warnings regarding sunroofs and aftermarket sunroofs. I have no problem with sunroofs in general. I think most cars we've owned over the last 30 years had sunroofs, and I'd never heard of or experienced the exploding sunroof phenomena :shock: . But, I'm not in favor of aftermarket sunroofs; I'd worry about leaks or other issues down the line. I wonder why they don't offer them as OEM; maybe cause wind drag and affect mileage?

We test drove the Subaru Forrester and Outback yesterday. Pretty appealing. For anybody interested in the Outback, they're dealing. Offered $2000 below invoice as a start with 0% financing. Reviews of the Forrester have been so good, they can't keep them in the lot.
Last edited by Artful Dodger on Sun May 26, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Sat May 25, 2019 2:30 pm

I own a 2017 Prius Prime. I'm happy with it. We mostly drive it in town, and with the 30ish EV range (more or less depending on season), I don't need to fill up except to keep the gas fresh. We have taken it on a couple 450 mile (one way), trips and we did not find it uncomfortable. With the two of us, and folding down the rear seats, there is plenty of room for stuff. It is low to the ground, I can see that bothering some folks. Lack of spare tire is irritating (I bought a spare - just not crazy about being at the mercy of a tire inflation kit). For longer winter trips, we opt to drive something more substantial (CRV) - the Prius with those tires just feels more delicate.

Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sun May 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Duplicate deleted