This rake is the best tool I've bought this week

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vineviz

This rake is the best tool I've bought this week

Post by vineviz » Thu May 23, 2019 1:39 pm

Just wanted to share: after many decades of suffering the indignity of big box store rakes (Lowe's and Home Depot, I'm looking at you) I broke down and ordered a rake from A.M. Leonard called the Leonard 22-Tine Forestry Rake.

Wow, what an improvement over the True Temper and Craftsman tools I've wasted money on over the years. It's maybe a pound heaver than my old rakes, and the handle might be a little longer than I need it to be, but I'm a sucker for tools that are built to be used hard and last long.

"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Ben Mathew

Re: This rake is the best tool I've bought this week

Post by Ben Mathew » Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Other toys for the yard:

Eley hose reel

Felco F-2 shears

The Felco shears are nice to have, but the Eley hose reel is a game changer!

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm

"What is a hoe" for 200$ Alex. Sorry but based on the current Jeopardy season I couldn't resist that Ken Jennings gem. Looks like a nice rake.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu May 23, 2019 3:08 pm

What has my life become?

Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Ben Mathew wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:57 pm
Other toys for the yard:

Eley hose reel

Felco F-2 shears

I want that hose reel.

The Felco pruners are excellent (I used them a lot, and they are fantastic) but I love my Bahco PXR-M2 shears even more.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Thu May 23, 2019 3:29 pm

Ben Mathew wrote:
Other toys for the yard:

Eley hose reel

Felco F-2 shears

+1 (err, 4) on the hose reel - expanded size.

Post by 123 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Ben Mathew wrote:
Other toys for the yard:

Eley hose reel

Felco F-2 shears

The starting price for that hose reel is $272.99 without the hose. Kinda high in my book. But it is nice.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew » Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm

vineviz wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm
The Felco pruners are excellent (I used them a lot, and they are fantastic) but I love my Bahco PXR-M2 shears even more.
That's high praise! I will try them out next time I buy shears.

Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu May 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Ben Mathew wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm
vineviz wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm
That's high praise! I will try them out next time I buy shears.
Check out the Bahco website: you can interchange the handle size and blade size.

Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew » Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm

123 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Ben Mathew wrote:
Other toys for the yard:

Eley hose reel

Felco F-2 shears

The starting price for that hose reel is $272.99 without the hose. Kinda high in my book. But it is nice.
The wall mount versions start at $178.49. For us, the Eley hose reel is what it took to actually use the reel consistently. Before we got it, reeling the hose was such a chore that we left it coiled up somewhere and only put it back at the end of the season, or maybe when guests came over. Now it stays reeled every time. It's a pleasure to use!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:14 pm

I have a hose reel bought several years ago at either Lowes or Home Depot like this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/suncast-plasti ... 6077f64929

Today's cost about $35-$40.

Works great, lasts long time. Been out in the brutal Florida sun, holding up perfectly.

$272? Nope.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

MidnightX

Post by MidnightX » Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 pm

I bought The Ultimate Garden Broom from Costco a while ago and love it. Definitely not for heavy duty raking chores but it has a lot of other uses. From the website, "This broom works like a broom but it acts like a rake! The broom is ideal for cleaning decks, walkways, patios, driveways, pathways, lawns, spreading mulch and more." I use it primarily to rake synthetic and regular grass, rake leaves from rock and rubber/regular mulch beds, and shrub pruning cleanup. I still use a corn broom on concrete to sweep dirt and have a lawn and a bow rake. And then of course a broom and a whisk broom for use indoors. It seems I am heading down a slippery slope, but the Forestry Rake posted is very tempting. Anyways, the garden broom is no longer available at Costco or Amazon but I found it on this site for about $35.
Product page https://shopdepalma.com/product/ultimat ... den-broom/
Overview https://shopdepalma.com/2018/01/ultimate-garden-broom/

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Federal forest fire fighters use rakes with metal handles, and tines similar to the OP's rake, and those workers need strong tools. That is a good recommendation for the design.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 pm

vineviz wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:39 pm
Just wanted to share: after many decades of suffering the indignity of big box store rakes (Lowe's and Home Depot, I'm looking at you) I broke down and ordered a rake from A.M. Leonard called the Leonard 22-Tine Forestry Rake.

Wow, what an improvement over the True Temper and Craftsman tools I've wasted money on over the years. It's maybe a pound heaver than my old rakes, and the handle might be a little longer than I need it to be, but I'm a sucker for tools that are built to be used hard and last long.

I don't normally get excited about rakes... but I had to buy one of these. Thanks :P

I'm going to put a bow on it and give it to the Mrs for her birthday which will be just in time to rake leaves this fall. Hey she likes orange.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 am

Raking is one of my favorite garden activities, but I'm not picky about the quality of my rakes, although I draw the line at plastic rakes.

My Finnish neighbor said I am the best raker he has ever seen, so that is some high praise indeed!

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri May 24, 2019 5:40 am

I have the both the Eley hose reel and a mini version of the AM Leonard rake (used for raking between bedding plants). Both are amazing.

Another handy tool from AM Leonard is their soil knife. Very useful in any kind of planting situation.

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 am

vineviz wrote:

What exactly are the advantages over big box store equipment?
You mentioned it's heavier and handle is longer but is expected life longevity the only advantage or are there others?

I have so many rakes, some very old, they rarely "break" - and I rake about 30 bags yearly
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:04 am

+1 for the Eley hose reel. Buy once cry once.

RJC

Post by RJC » Fri May 24, 2019 8:10 am

vineviz wrote:

Looks like a quality rake; however, the design is the same from my dad's rake 30 years ago. Is there not a better way to rake after all these years (outside of a blower)?

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri May 24, 2019 8:33 am

RJC wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:10 am
Looks like a quality rake; however, the design is the same from my dad's rake 30 years ago. Is there not a better way to rake after all these years (outside of a blower)?
We mulch leaves on the yard with a mulching mower. There's still a little raking/blowing required, but not much.

Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri May 24, 2019 10:09 am

RobLyons wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 am
What exactly are the advantages over big box store equipment?
You mentioned it's heavier and handle is longer but is expected life longevity the only advantage or are there others?

I have so many rakes, some very old, they rarely "break" - and I rake about 30 bags yearly
The main points of failure on the rakes I've owned are that the head tends to separate from the handle (they are often either riveted or screwed, vs double bolts on this one), the tines bend (more an annoyance than a "breakage", I guess, but the gauge of steel in this one is easily 3x or 4x my other rakes), and the brace fails (in most of previous rakes it typically is a steel wire that is pressed in and, consequently, tends to slip out). I tried poly rakes, but they tend to get brittle as they age.
Chip wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:33 am
We mulch leaves on the yard with a mulching mower. There's still a little raking/blowing required, but not much.

This rake is likely overkill for me, since I tend to do the same thing as Chip. I rake the sidewalks and debris that collects in the alley behind my house, and much/mow the rest.

But when I was a kid it seemed like my dad's tools lasted nearly forever if well maintained, so finding a well-made tool today makes me feel a little nostalgic. Disclaimer: I've been known to watch YouTube videos of people rebuilding old ratchets so I might not have a normal perspective on tools.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 am

Ben Mathew wrote:
Other toys for the yard:

Eley hose reel

Felco F-2 shears

My wife is a big fan of the Felco shears. I guess I am too, since they're the only ones we own. :D

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri May 24, 2019 11:33 am

Great thread!!! Thank you.

Dang, $350ish for a hose reel is over the top, but really I want one. Badly.

I'm buying one. The rake too.

What else?
Funding secured

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:33 am
Great thread!!! Thank you.

Dang, $350ish for a hose reel is over the top, but really I want one. Badly.

I'm buying one. The rake too.

What else?
Yeah, for $33, that rake looks awesome, but $350 for a hose reel :shock: . I get 100x the use out of a rake than a hose reel.

Topic Author
vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri May 24, 2019 11:53 am

Chip wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:40 am
Another handy tool from AM Leonard is their soil knife. Very useful in any kind of planting situation.
+1. In fact, I had a soil knife (the “deluxe” one) in the order with the rake: my son seems to have lost my old one.

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri May 24, 2019 11:58 am

Fully agree on the Eley hose reel. Thing is amazing

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri May 24, 2019 1:25 pm

I have the wall mount version of the Eley Hose Reel and it's great. I've never regretted spending the money on it.
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/collectio ... -hose-reel

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 pm

I remember from my childhood that metal rakes always worked better than the plastic ones. I don't get too excited about having a perfect yard, so won't buy a new one, but if I saw a metal rake at a garage sale, I'd grab it.

Also agree with a comment that old tools in general worked better. Wooden handles, for example, were far better. For this reason, about 10 years ago, I got my dad to give me some of the many duplicates he had - spades, hoes, etc. I picked up a old, rusty short-handled 3-prong garden fork and rectangular spade at a garage sale for really cheap about 5 years ago - they're still going strong; even rusted and weathered, far better than what you can buy now.

Kenny911

Post by Kenny911 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm

I bought the Eley hose reel last year and their hose. All I can say it is worth every penny. What a game changer compared to those crappy reels I was dealing with at the big box stores. Plus no leaking either.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Fri May 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Kenny911 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm
I bought the Eley hose reel last year and their hose. All I can say it is worth every penny. What a game changer compared to those crappy reels I was dealing with at the big box stores. Plus no leaking either.
I've got four plastic hose reels at four different locations. They're a struggle and frustrating to operate, but I just tell myself that I'm building muscle.

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:14 pm
I have a hose reel bought several years ago at either Lowes or Home Depot like this one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/suncast-plasti ... 6077f64929

Today's cost about $35-$40.

Works great, lasts long time. Been out in the brutal Florida sun, holding up perfectly.

$272? Nope.

Broken Man 1999
Yes, I've got this one too. Easier to use than the smaller box types which store better in limited spaces. In the intense summer sun, I cover some of mine with old towels to protect the hoses and reduce the initial hot water effect.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat May 25, 2019 9:28 am

I bought a automatic hose reel from Frontgate 4 years ago and it is still working great. I normally don't view Frontgate as a cost effective place to buy things but this hose reel is automatic, is so far standing up to the test of time, has great reviews, comes with 100' hose and currently is only 89.99. If and when it breaks I will just get another. The automatic feature is worth every penny.
https://www.frontgate.com/100-retractab ... 0302008005

AtlantaP

Post by AtlantaP » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for this post - just went down the list and placed an order for father's day!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:06 pm

I demand a lightweight rake, so I have a plastic one that is over 20 years old. Maybe it's lasted because I don't abuse it? :)

Sure, it will melt in a forest fire, but I won't be around to see that happen.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Funny I should see this thread today. Bought the Eley hose reel and their spray nozzle several years ago. Have been very happy. Noticed this Spring that the spray nozzle was starting to leak a little water. Had planned on getting a standard washer replacement from the hardware store; however, when I took the nozzle apart I noticed there was what looked like a proprietary washer.

Called them this morning and asked if I could buy a replacement washer. They said it's easier to send you a brand new spray nozzle, no charge.The only question asked was to confirm if my mailing address was still current. Will buy any hose related stuff from them going forward. As Guy Clark used to rhapsodize about: "Stuff that works, stuff that holds up..."

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Conch55 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm
"What is a hoe" for 200$ Alex. Sorry but based on the current Jeopardy season I couldn't resist that Ken Jennings gem. Looks like a nice rake.
And on Double Jeopardy today: Great hoes for 200.