Weber vs Broil King Grills

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bdrolan

Weber vs Broil King Grills

Post by bdrolan » Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm about to drop some money on a new grill and was set on a Weber for a while; however, I stopped to look one more time and some Broil King grills caught my eye.

I researched them and they seem to be pretty solid and comparable, if not better in some cases, to Weber. The grill specs seem to be better than Weber, along with burner and quality/build.

Wondering if any of you have had same conundrum or decision?

hale2

Re: Weber vs Broil King Grills

Post by hale2 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:00 pm

I had a Broil King for 17 years. I would probably still have it if I had had space in my shipment when I moved. I never had a rust issue and the cast iron grids were great. The only issues were the wheels eventually rotted due to direct sunlight over the years, and I had to replace the burner after about 10 years.

I highly recommend it.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm

This is likely to be a discussion with religion-like zeal, similar to what some of the Vanguard vs Fidelity discussions devolve into.

I don't know that I've had any experience with Broil King, but I know I tried lots of cheaper grills 30 years ago. I switched to Weber and have been really pleased for the 25 years or so I've had them. I've had two, but the reason I got a new one was to donate the other one to our family cabin. I also wanted to upgrade to the newer model, but not because there was anything wrong with the old one.

I have replaced the drip pan and flavor bars on both webers after several years, but that wasn't expensive, as both Amazon and Ebay are full of after-market and OEM parts for webers.

Having said that, it may well be that Broil King are good too. There are many, many cheaply made grills that are not worth your time, and I would guess they are the majority of the brands. If Broil King is not, great! Weber certainly is not one of those cheaply made grills.

I'll step aside now and let the zealots come in.

shans2000

Post by shans2000 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm in the same conundrum. I was all set to buy a Weber Genesis, but then I read on-line several reports stating Weber quality has gone down significantly in last few years due to manufacturing move to China by the new owners. It will be good to hear recent experiences with Weber grills.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 23, 2019 5:46 pm

As a Weber owner, I have heard good things about Broil King. If you like them, give them a whirl.

If it's on par with Weber and you know how to cook on the grill, it will undoubtedly be worlds better than the Charbroil and Nextgrill stuff.

JT

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu May 23, 2019 6:00 pm

shans2000 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 pm
I'm in the same conundrum. I was all set to buy a Weber Genesis, but then I read on-line several reports stating Weber quality has gone down significantly in last few years due to manufacturing move to China by the new owners. It will be good to hear recent experiences with Weber grills.
I had also decided I wouldn't buy a Weber Genesis, but then dubious management at my local Ace Hardware led to me acquiring one at Char-broil prices. And you know what? It's exactly what most people pay for. A slightly better than average grill. It cooks evenly, gets really hot, has good temperature control, retains heat, and five years in it appears reasonably resistant to the elements.

It's no family heirloom Weber but it's worth what most people pay for it. In comparison a Char-broil comes pre-hooptied, meaning it's not worth fixing if it breaks. I would at least repair my Weber Genesis. Just know that there is a clear difference between that and a "real" Weber or another high end grill.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu May 23, 2019 6:30 pm

I actually own one of each. I think the Weber is slightly better built and works better if you have the space and more $$$.

I have a Weber Genesis four burner in Arizona. It heats fast and cooks great. It has a large cooking space and a second cooking shelf and a side burner. It is big enough to cook for 6-8 people. The construction is solid and the grates are cast iron. It is about 7 years old and needs nothing. I use it 1-2 times a week.

I bought a Broil King Baron S320 three burner 3 years ago for my summer home. It has good fast cooking power. I bought Broil King instead of the another Weber because it is smaller in size and cheaper. It does not have the side burner. This model fits right next to the back door on my deck in the corner. So I can get to it with little snow shoveling in the winter. All the Weber's were too large for this space. It is made well of good quality stainless steel. But the lid is slightly torqued so it has a small gap when closed. Plus the second cooking shelf falls down regularly due to inadequate rod length. This usually happens when I am cooking. That is a PIA because I always forget to center the shelf when it is cold.

So I guess what you buy depends on your needs. Good Luck.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu May 23, 2019 6:58 pm

We moved around from grilling on the bbq after the American Cancer Society warnings came out.

elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Weber-no brainer

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:21 pm

All I know is the plastic handles on my cheap weber clone charcoal grill are turning to powder and cracked and I can't find replacements. I think I paid $39 for the grill.

Also propane dries out meat and I am much happier with charcoal grilling (it might be better for the planet compared to gas too, but that is unclear).

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 pm

I own a grill shop and sell Weber, along with a few other major brands.

We used to carry Broil King/Sterling (same company) and they were good grills (20+ years ago). We moved away from them when parts were hard to locate. They've gotten much better, but I don't know how their quality has held up.

Weber's Gensis II EP line will have quality that is very close of the build quality they had before private equity bought them out. You'll find it at independent grill retailers, not big box. Warranty is the same but you get stainless grates and burner covers and a couple of different color options. The mainline Weber is good, but it's not what it was. They finally brought back the cart model with doors without the price premium.

If you want a "last purchase ever" grill, look at a Broilmaster or MHP. They're not the most attractive grills, but they carry a legitimate lifetime warranty on virtually everything in the grill.

SR II

Post by SR II » Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 pm

bdrolan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm
I'm about to drop some money on a new grill and was set on a Weber for a while; however, I stopped to look one more time and some Broil King grills caught my eye.

I researched them and they seem to be pretty solid and comparable, if not better in some cases, to Weber. The grill specs seem to be better than Weber, along with burner and quality/build.

Wondering if any of you have had same conundrum or decision?
About five or six years ago, I was in the exact same position. I had my heart set on a Weber until I read the reviews and compared it to a Broil King. At that time, the equally priced Weber Spirit was no comparison (size and features wise) and was made in China, while the Broil King was made in North America. I eventually went with a Broil King Baron, 4-burner. We use it about three times a week, year round. We took it from So. Cal. to Vegas when we moved a year and a half ago and it is still going strong. Best BBQ we've owned. But, haven't owned a Weber.

Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog » Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 pm

ronno2018 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:21 pm
All I know is the plastic handles on my cheap weber clone charcoal grill are turning to powder and cracked and I can't find replacements. I think I paid $39 for the grill.

Also propane dries out meat and I am much happier with charcoal grilling (it might be better for the planet compared to gas too, but that is unclear).
Propane dries out meat? Is there more substance to this comment? I’m curious as the byproducts of complete propane combustion are carbon dioxide and water.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 pm

Dilbydog wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 pm
ronno2018 wrote:

Propane dries out meat? Is there more substance to this comment? I’m curious as the byproducts of complete propane combustion are carbon dioxide and water.
It's heat that dries meat out, not propane. Don't overcook! ;-)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 23, 2019 7:56 pm

snackdog wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:58 pm
We moved around from grilling on the bbq after the American Cancer Society warnings came out.
The solution is to learn how to grill, so you are not creating something unhealthy.

JT

Topic Author
bdrolan

Post by bdrolan » Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Some good replies and some that missed the mark...but thanks.

If anyone else still wants to chime in, its welcomed.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri May 24, 2019 4:21 am

shans2000 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 pm
I was in similar situation and decided with Weber. Here are my reasons:

1. Warranty. Its a 10 year warranty so if anything happens with the grill prior to that I am covered.
2. customer service. I have had a chance to talk to someone about my previous grill, charcoal weber. I was treated very well, the parts that had issues were replaced without any hassle and I literally have all new grill since last year. We are only buying new one because charcoal while better tasting takes a long time.
3. I did not think moving operations to China by itself will make the grill any cheaper.

My good experience with their prior grill and their customer service is what swayed me to go with them.

boobinson

Post by boobinson » Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 am

Back in 2016, I went through the same dilemma as everyone else. I ended up getting the Broil King Baron 440. It's held up really well, which to me is the most important part. I have no rust or anything. However, I still have a hard time with heat control. Overall, it gets too hot even with the burners about halfway. I'm content with the grill, but if I were to do it over again, I'd get the Weber.

shans2000

Post by shans2000 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 am

bbqguru wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 pm

We used to carry Broil King/Sterling (same company) and they were good grills (20+ years ago). We moved away from them when parts were hard to locate. They've gotten much better, but I don't know how their quality has held up.

Weber's Gensis II EP line will have quality that is very close of the build quality they had before private equity bought them out. You'll find it at independent grill retailers, not big box. Warranty is the same but you get stainless grates and burner covers and a couple of different color options. The mainline Weber is good, but it's not what it was. They finally brought back the cart model with doors without the price premium.

If you want a "last purchase ever" grill, look at a Broilmaster or MHP. They're not the most attractive grills, but they carry a legitimate lifetime warranty on virtually everything in the grill.
So the same model is different if you buy from big box vs independent retailers?

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:36 am

bottlecap wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 pm
Dilbydog wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 pm
ronno2018 wrote:

It's heat that dries meat out, not propane. Don't overcook! ;-)
Yes, you have a point, but I really have had much less stress grilling with charcoal and more success.

Topic Author
bdrolan

Post by bdrolan » Fri May 24, 2019 2:26 pm

boobinson wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:41 am
Back in 2016, I went through the same dilemma as everyone else. I ended up getting the Broil King Baron 440. It's held up really well, which to me is the most important part. I have no rust or anything. However, I still have a hard time with heat control. Overall, it gets too hot even with the burners about halfway. I'm content with the grill, but if I were to do it over again, I'd get the Weber.

Thanks for response. I've read that BK runs "Canada hot" which is generally 25-50° degrees more than us. I assume it's because of the cold maybe, but BKs do have more BTUs/sq inch than Weber. I like that since BKs seems to get searing hot with no actual sear burner or IR Sear burner.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Both my Weber four burner and my BK 3 burner get really hot fast. They get to 450 degrees or hotter in about 5 minutes. So I turn on every thing to start then I have to turn off 2 burners on the Weber and set the other two at half power to keep the temperature to 375 to 400. Likewise on the BK I turn off one burner and turn the other two to half to keep temperature to 400 or so. Then keep the lid closed and watch the temperature and let the meat cook slow. It stays moist this way.

And in winter when it is real cold outside I do need more heat and have to keep the lid closed. Windy is even harder.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Wed May 29, 2019 7:53 am

shans2000 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 am
bbqguru wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 pm

So the same model is different if you buy from big box vs independent retailers?
Yes and no. The Genesis II is the same at all retailer- cast iron cooking grates, porcelain enameled burner covers, etc... Weber also makes an Genesis II premium model- designated by EP-XXX versus E-XXX. The EP model has stainless grates and flavor bars and a couple of additional colors. Retail on the EP model is usually $50 more than the E models.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 am

snackdog wrote:
We're getting sidetracked, but those "warnings" are some of the weakest-worded ones I've ever seen:
American Cancer Society wrote:How does cooking meat affect cancer risk? Adequate cooking is needed to kill harmful germs in meat. But some research suggests that frying, broiling, or grilling meats at very high temperatures forms chemicals (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or heterocyclic aromatic amines) that might increase cancer risk. These chemicals can damage DNA and cause cancer in animals, but it is not clear how much they (as opposed to other substances in meat) may contribute to the increased colorectal cancer risk seen in people who eat large amounts of meat in some studies.
https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-heal ... tions.html
National Cancer Institute wrote:What evidence is there that HCAs and PAHs in cooked meats may increase cancer risk?

Studies have shown that exposure to HCAs and PAHs can cause cancer in animal models (10). In many experiments, rodents fed a diet supplemented with HCAs developed tumors of the breast, colon, liver, skin, lung, prostate, and other organs (11–16). Rodents fed PAHs also developed cancers, including leukemia and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and lungs (17). However, the doses of HCAs and PAHs used in these studies were very high—equivalent to thousands of times the doses that a person would consume in a normal diet.

Population studies have not established a definitive link between HCA and PAH exposure from cooked meats and cancer in humans.
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/cau ... fact-sheet

We all make our own choices, but there's no way I'd make a major lifestyle change based on something that "might" increase my risk of certain types of cancers if I do it 1000x more than I do now.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 29, 2019 8:29 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 am
snackdog wrote:
We're getting sidetracked, but those "warnings" are some of the weakest-worded ones I've ever seen:
American Cancer Society wrote:How does cooking meat affect cancer risk? Adequate cooking is needed to kill harmful germs in meat. But some research suggests that frying, broiling, or grilling meats at very high temperatures forms chemicals (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or heterocyclic aromatic amines) that might increase cancer risk. These chemicals can damage DNA and cause cancer in animals, but it is not clear how much they (as opposed to other substances in meat) may contribute to the increased colorectal cancer risk seen in people who eat large amounts of meat in some studies.
https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-heal ... tions.html
National Cancer Institute wrote:What evidence is there that HCAs and PAHs in cooked meats may increase cancer risk?

Studies have shown that exposure to HCAs and PAHs can cause cancer in animal models (10). In many experiments, rodents fed a diet supplemented with HCAs developed tumors of the breast, colon, liver, skin, lung, prostate, and other organs (11–16). Rodents fed PAHs also developed cancers, including leukemia and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and lungs (17). However, the doses of HCAs and PAHs used in these studies were very high—equivalent to thousands of times the doses that a person would consume in a normal diet.

Population studies have not established a definitive link between HCA and PAH exposure from cooked meats and cancer in humans.
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/cau ... fact-sheet

We all make our own choices, but there's no way I'd make a major lifestyle change based on something that "might" increase my risk of certain types of cancers if I do it 1000x more than I do now.
If somebody stopped eating things that were shown to have a possible association with increased risk for cancer in animal models (when consumed in outrageous amounts), they would pretty much be left with nothing to eat. This is as silly as California Prop 65; drinking coffee, parking your car indoors, going to a dentist or amusement park, and staying at a hotel also increase cancer risk (just ask California).

vested1

Post by vested1 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:19 am

I recently bought this BBQ for my granddaughter and her husband as a house warming gift.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s ... l/50329705

With the 3 year warranty and the cover it was about $625. The BBQ has a propane gas grill, a charcoal grill, a smoker, and a gas side burner. If you buy one bring a friend or two as it weighs 206 pounds. Best BBQ and smoked meat I've ever tasted.

We've always had Weber grills, but my next one will be one of these.