What is the best way to test drive cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

What is the best way to test drive cars?

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am

Hello!
Soon I will be replacing my 10 years old Hyundai with preferably a Toyota or a Honda car. I am not sure yet which model exactly I am going to buy, as I haven't driven any of the recommended ones on my list.

My question is what is the best approach to go and test drive these cars without wasting too much time and without setting and listening to a salesman for 1 hour or more before driving each car?

Thanks!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Sandtrap

Re: What is the best way to test drive cars?

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 23, 2019 8:28 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:18 am
Hello!
Soon I will be replacing my 10 years old Hyundai with preferably a Toyota or a Honda car. I am not sure yet which model exactly I am going to buy, as I haven't driven any of the recommended ones on my list.

My question is what is the best approach to go and test drive these cars without wasting too much time and without setting and listening to a salesman for 1 hour or more before driving each car?

Thanks!
1. Take enough time as "you" need, and over "your" typical road conditions, to decide on spending large sums of money on a particular car.

2. The Salesman is not "in control", you are. If you can't drive the car where you want and how long you need, then go elsewhere. The 5 minute drive around the block to purchase a $60k+ car is silly. That's the same as making a $500,000 home purchase decision on a drive-by and, at best, a 10 minute exterior walk around.

3. You might consider renting a same or very similar car/model for as long as you need. Perhaps on your next trip somewhere?

4. Take control completely in the selling/showing process. Walk out at any time. You're the customer. It's your money.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 am

Call or email the local dealer for the cars you are interested in. Ask to set up test drive for the car(s) you are interested in.

I specify exactly the model and trim I am interested in what I test drive is what I'd actually buy. If more than one vehicle at the dealership, I ask them to make sure they are available to me for back to back test drives, so no having to sit around

I am clear when setting up appointment and again when I arrive that I am in the very early stage of selecting vehicle, and do not intend to purchase that day

This usually works out fine, and most of the time the salesperson does a good job explaining the car and features. I take their card and explain my process, which is once I select the car, I will send requests to multiple dealers in a wide areas asking for OTD prices, and I will go thru them to get the quote from their dealership if it sells the model I select

Mike

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:28 am
BogleMelon wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!
1. Take enough time as "you" need, and over "your" typical road conditions, to decide on spending large sums of money on a particular car.

2. The Salesman is not "in control", you are. If you can't drive the car where you want and how long you need, then go elsewhere. The 5 minute drive around the block to purchase a $60k+ car is silly. That's the same as making a $500,000 home purchase decision on a drive-by and, at best, a 10 minute exterior walk around.

3. You might consider renting a same or very similar car/model for as long as you need. Perhaps on your next trip somewhere?

4. Take control completely in the selling/showing process. Walk out at any time. You're the customer. It's your money.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I can choose the route to drive. I was under the impression that the salesman is the one who is dectating that! :oops:

I thought about renting the same model, but the problem is almost always the rental car company provide something similar at the time of the pick up! I never rented the same exact make and model that I have chosen.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 am

Re rentals. Many dealers in my area, suburban Chicago, also have a rental area. Its usually promoted for the service department as well as for customers extended test drives. I've done this a couple times, usually for 2-3 days to really test drive! The main thing is how will I feel after sitting in the seat while on the road for 2 hours. Its easy, no hassle and comparably priced with a car rental agency.
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu May 23, 2019 8:46 am

Check Turo for rental options.

Calico

Post by Calico » Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 am

I test drove cars recently.

I made a list of all the things that were important to me that I couldn't tell from reading the specs on the car or reviews from other people. Then rated them 1-5 with 5 being the highest. Then I ranked the cars in order of which ones got the most points. I also test drove all the cars on the same day so everything was fresh. I had things like:

Handling
Road feel
Engine power and noise
Seat comfort
Visibly
Car layout

Of course, you would pick things important to you that you couldn't tell from a review. For example, I know that higher torque means more power when accepting, but I really need to drive and feel this to know what it means for me. Maybe you have a more technical mind and can just tell that from engine specs like one can with gas mileage (so you don't need to consider that).

After I drove everything and got my top rated car, I drove it again just to be sure I "liked" it as a whole.

Good luck!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am

Ditch the salesperson and drive the car hard to see how it responds (then buy a different one on the lot) :)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 23, 2019 8:58 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am
Sandtrap wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Hello!

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I can choose the route to drive. I was under the impression that the salesman is the one who is dectating that! :oops:

I thought about renting the same model, but the problem is almost always the rental car company provide something similar at the time of the pick up! I never rented the same exact make and model that I have chosen.
Specific answer to "test drives" and procedures. (vs preliminary research and data gathering)

I worked for dealerships for many years while in college.
1. The dealership wants to make the sale, badly. The salesman wants the sale and his commision, even more badly.
Thus:
Usually, not always, but very usually:

2. They will do "anything" to make the sale.
3. The salesman and dealership must control everything, sales process. . .and you, from the moment you walk on to the property.
4. The majority of customers have no idea that "they" are fully empowered and can be in full control, . . . if they choose.
5. Dealerships and salesman are terrified that you will walk off the lot and not buy something. To them, they have one chance, likely you will not return.
6. Once you have gone to the dealerships to "shop" for the "right car". Do the rest of the buying online, or Cosco, pit dealershp internet department sales quotes against each other, etc, to find the best deal. Then lock that deal in before you step onto a dealership again (contingent on inspection).
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu May 23, 2019 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 am

Youtube video reviews are extremely helpful to narrow down to a few cars, as they point out details that you may easily miss on a quick test drive.

I personally find test drives to be overhyped, I have bought all my cars for the last 30+ years with no test drives without any issues. But I am of average height, with average length limbs, not overweight. So I can fit in pretty much any mass produced car.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 am

sk2101 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 am
Youtube video reviews are extremely helpful to narrow down to a few cars, as they point out details that you may easily miss on a quick test drive.

I personally find test drives to be overhyped, I have bought all my cars for the last 30+ years with no test drives without any issues. But I am of average height, with average length limbs, not overweight. So I can fit in pretty much any mass produced car.
Agree, you test drive a car for 15 minutes, but you will not know at all how you will feel after hours and hours of driving. All those reviewers know what you will like better than you do. Other things, like reliability, are not known from test drives.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 am

Respectfully, there’s not much to a test drive with the brands you were considering. Both strong brands.

Read some reviews. Do you know if you want a firm ride or a soft ride? Are you looking at city driving or interstate travel? Things like that are important

I’m 6‘4“ and 200 pounds, so in addition to the type of ride I wanted, cabin size was important. That’s not a test drive issue for me, that’s specifications and taking a seat in the driver side

Good luck.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:32 am

Sorry.....I'd say ignore everything said here. Having test driven cars for fun for 40 years, here's what you do to minimize the wasted time, since you only want to drive.

Go in on Saturday, on a nice day, when it's busy as hell. Don't make an appointment, don't do any prep work. The goal is to get in when all the sales people are juggling 3 customers at once. They'll make a copy of your license and throw you the keys saying "Sorry, I can't go with you, take your time". They want you out of there so they can potentially make the 3 sales they're working on. When you get back, hand the guy the keys back and say "I'll call you during the week". He'll love that you did that and didn't take time from his selling.

The end.

I've been able to test drive half a dozen cars during a mid Saturday doing this.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 am

I usually made up my mind before went to the dealers. Test-drive is just a formality. Prices, colors, add-ons are more important. I don't not mean there is no difference in different cars, just test-drives do not make a difference.

Coinsinthefountain

Post by Coinsinthefountain » Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 am

Our salesman offered to let us keep a car (not a new car but the same model yet almost new) overnight so we could "test" it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am

I recommend borrowing the car for a couple days. Dealer will likely set a limit on mileage, eg 150. We did this with my wife's XC90, it was well worth the experience.

Wolfpack2463

Post by Wolfpack2463 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 am

After doing research online and watching numerous YouTube reviews, I contacted two dealers nearby that had the two cars we narrowed it down to and said I would like an overnight test drive (aka Puppy dog trial). They said no problem and they made copies of my driver’s license and insurance and I told them when I would return the car the following day. It was very relaxing to drive it and explore the car without a salesman breathing down your neck. Then after we decided on which car I sent out emails to all dealers within 100 miles and let the bidding begin. There are some good posts on email negotiation here as well!

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am

BogleMelon wrote:

Thanks!
go in. tell them which car you want to test drive

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:32 am
Sorry.....I'd say ignore everything said here. Having test driven cars for fun for 40 years, here's what you do to minimize the wasted time, since you only want to drive.

Go in on Saturday, on a nice day, when it's busy as hell. Don't make an appointment, don't do any prep work. The goal is to get in when all the sales people are juggling 3 customers at once. They'll make a copy of your license and throw you the keys saying "Sorry, I can't go with you, take your time". They want you out of there so they can potentially make the 3 sales they're working on. When you get back, hand the guy the keys back and say "I'll call you during the week". He'll love that you did that and didn't take time from his selling.

The end.

I've been able to test drive half a dozen cars during a mid Saturday doing this.
I went before on Saturdays and without appointments, always had a salesman accompanying. One time it is was a CPO car, he "guided" me to drive it within the parking lot only! I haven't asked to go out, and he didn't offer. Anyways the car had mechanical braking issues that I could notice, so I walked away (I was shy to walk out instantly so I sat down with him after the tiny ride, even let him run my credit report :oops: )
That was pre-bogleheads times

Brain

Post by Brain » Thu May 23, 2019 11:06 am

The last time I bought a car, I did the test drive in the middle of the workday during my lunch break. That way I had an ironclad excuse to get out before the salesman could go into his spiel.

I knew the car I wanted, so the test drive was just to verify that it was acceptable.

To purchase the car, I did the email quote request method with a half dozen dealers and nailed down a price before I set foot in the dealership.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 pm

+1 on the Turo idea

I like to evaluate cars more pragmatically in terms of actions you might need to do while driving and the general ergonomics of the seat and drivers cockpit. Then I move on to the driving experience. I drive cars on both highways and suburbs. I like to set the cruise control on the highway, find a big hill and see if the speed drops any.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu May 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
So many people forget that. The salesmen attempt to act like they are doing you a favor, when the opposite is true. You have the cash to purchase a car and they (and others like them) have excessive inventory.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Thu May 23, 2019 8:44 pm

The last time that my daughter-in-law bought a car a salesman took her license and kept it while she test drove the car. He tried to hold her license until the deal was made! She had to pressure him to get her license returned. She was upset and didn’t buy a car from that dealership. She is an educated, independent woman. I am telling this anecdote as a warning to our female members. There are predatory salesmen who view a woman as an easy target.

DMW

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm

For what it matters, I didn't Test Drive either my Mustang or my F-150, both purchased new.
I'm not sure what useful purpose a test drive is supposed to do for you nowadays...
Attempted new signature...

Post by 123 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Rent for a weekend or week. The typical test drive of 1/2 an hour or less really only lets you know how easy it is to enter and exit the car and work the controls and pedals. A long test drive lets you (likely know) that there is really nothing special about the model you're driving and you might as well keep the old car. Highly recommended.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm
For what it matters, I didn't Test Drive either my Mustang or my F-150, both purchased new.
I'm not sure what useful purpose a test drive is supposed to do for you nowadays...
If one has back issues, is tall or short or has other conditions where seat comfort is key or that make ingress/egress a issue, test drives, especially extended drives, make total sense.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 23, 2019 9:47 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 pm
The Wizard wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm
If one has back issues, is tall or short or has other conditions where seat comfort is key or that make ingress/egress a issue, test drives, especially extended drives, make total sense.
Yes, that seems reasonable.
I'll just check out the new hybrid Mustang on a showroom floor whenever it comes out and then put together my factory order, but that's me...

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 pm

And I should mention that I've rented numerous cars over the past decade and they've all been more or less fine, except for missing options like cruise control and power seats.

I don't mean to take anything away from you folks who love to test drive cars. Go for it if that's your thing...

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 pm

I do not like to do test drives at dealerships. They limit the time and the location of the test drive.

Since I rent cars a lot and am good friends with my local Hertz rental manager, she will score what ever car that I am interested when I rent a car for a week. She has been able to get me nearly any model that I have wanted in recent weeks.

Most of my "test drives" over the past year have been between 1000 and 3000 miles. That gives you a great opportunity to drive the car in the same environment that you will drive a car that you are buyimg. And you will quickly find out what you like and hate about the various models.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am
That reminds me of a funny story. I had my eye on a particular model so went to a nearby dealer to drive one. My wife and I jumped in the front seat and the salesman in the back. He started giving me directions and I ignored him. I wanted to drive the vehicle on various types of roads that I was familiar with and my wife wanted to try it in a parking lot to see if it felt too big for her there. About 10-15 minutes into the drive he asked where we were going. I assured him that we were almost ready to head back. It was quite humorous.

I did end up buying that particular vehicle but from a different dealer that was more knowledgeable and negotiable.

By the way, I usually call ahead and ask for the sales manager and tell him I'd like to come in and drive their model 'X' and ask if I can do that in an hour (or whenever is convenient for me). The answer is always 'yes' because I always look at their inventory online to make sure they have the one I'm interested in. I ask them to please have the car ready when I arrive and confirm who I should ask for. We do little to no talking before the test drive, just get in the vehicle and go. Also, if they get too talkative during the drive tell them politely that you'd like to concentrate on the way the car drives. They want to sell a car, they'll do as you ask.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Fri May 24, 2019 12:36 am

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Fri May 24, 2019 4:48 am

Rent the car is a great idea. Additionally ask to test drive the car yourselves. You can then ask the salesman/woman to come on a test drive with you if you are interested. It’s important to both drive the car yourself and with commentary to point out aspects you didn’t know. Initially I prefer my time with the car though. I’d drive it in standard conditions like town or city driving and on the highway...alone. You want to get a sense of the basics without comentary.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri May 24, 2019 5:00 am

I bought a car last year. I found the one that interested me the most online (model, color, price), then phoned the dealer. I instructed the salesman to bring the car to my office at 2pm that day for a test drive. He showed up right on time. I inspected the car, jumped in, drove off, loved it. He answered questions but the car sold itself so he didn't need to do any selling. Easy peasy.

scout80

Post by scout80 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 am

Figure out which cars you are interested in and just show up at the dealer - tell the salesman you are only interested in test driving at this point and still trying to decide make/model you want.

They may just get your info and hand you the keys or some will want to ride along. Either way is fine, you are in control and can take as long as you want. Some will offer to let you take the car for a day or weekend. You are under no obligation to buy if you do that. It is fine.

They will want your phone number so they can call or text you after the test drive to follow up. When they follow up just tell them you're still deciding and will contact them if you want to pursue that car.

Keep track of what you drove and what you like/dislike about the cars you drive - either take notes or keep a spreadsheet.

You are under no obligation to go back to the same dealer or even sales person if they rub you the wrong way or it's inconvenient. After you decide on the car follow the advice found elsewhere on this forum to research and get the best price and negotiate via email. One thing I like to do is look at CarGurus.com and find the car I want to buy and see how long it's been on the lot - I recently did this on a new Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited and found it had been on the lot for 240 days and used that to my advantage to negotiate a lower price. They wanted it off their lot - not a common car and not a hot seller even though it's an awesome car.

Good luck!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:20 pm
He started giving me directions and I ignored him.
+1 The dealership I frequent doesn't dictate where the test drive goes but I have done some where they attempt to do so and I just ignore them also. The last thing they are going to do is not sell you the car for disobeying them.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:19 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:32 am

The end.

This has worked for me probably 9 out of 10 times. The one time it didn't work, they just told me to come back another time. I usually do it an hour or so before they close on a Saturday, when they are trying to wrap up a bunch of deals that have been in the works all day before closing time. Most times they didn't bother making a follow-up call to me during the week, which is good because I didn't want to be bothered anyway.

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 am
I usually made up my mind before went to the dealers. Test-drive is just a formality. Prices, colors, add-ons are more important. I don't not mean there is no difference in different cars, just test-drives do not make a difference.
I disagree to some extent. A while back I thinking of buying a small crossover. This was about two years ago before the plethora of new, small crossovers hit the market. And before my Bogglehead side fully kicked in. I was really interested in only two things. Is the car comfortable (I was looking for a relatively high seat position) and how is basic driving, parking, blind spots, freeway entry acceleration. I am definitely not a hotshot driver but there are times when one needs a bit of oomph to deal with a sketchy freeway entry.

The Honda HRV was of great interest. I love the seating configurations and the quality reputation, however the drive was a complete turnoff due to the sluggishness of the car. Although the sluggish engine was addressed in reviews I was really taken aback with the reality of just how sluggish it was. I would really have been unhappy buying one of these without having the test drive.

In the end I just stuck with my 2014 Mazda Minivan which I don't love at all, but it gets the job done. We wound up dropping the lease on a small EV and are now down to one car. I have decided our second car is going to be an electric bike.

By the way, we have purchased three cars from Hertz used. Every single one of them has been excellent in terms of reliability (Toyotas, Mazda) and one can test drive them for an hour with no hassle, no salesman. There is almost zero pressure. One can climb around cars on the lot all day without someone dogging every step. I really like shopping there but, of course, the selection of cars can be hit or miss, one sometimes has to wait for the right vehicle to come out of the fleet. They have an excellent online presence which makes it easy to keep track of inventory on a specific lot.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat May 25, 2019 3:03 am

seychellois_lib wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 pm

By the way, we have purchased three cars from Hertz used. Every single one of them has been excellent in terms of reliability (Toyotas, Mazda) and one can test drive them for an hour with no hassle, no salesman. There is almost zero pressure. One can climb around cars on the lot all day without someone dogging every step. I really like shopping there but, of course, the selection of cars can be hit or miss, one sometimes has to wait for the right vehicle to come out of the fleet. They have an excellent online presence which makes it easy to keep track of inventory on a specific lot.

And Hertz offers the "Rent 2 Buy" program:

Browse our complete selection of used cars online
Search by make, model or body type

Schedule your 3-day test rental

Keep it up to 3 days at a special low rate
Or take a 2-hour complimentary test drive

Buy the car and we'll waive the rental charges*
In most states, you can purchase it from home
We'll be in touch to handle all the paper work

msk

Post by msk » Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 am

Over the past 50 years I test drove only the used cars I bought, never a new one. Each to his own. Most recent car I bought was a Mercedes S560. Walked into the showroom, grabbed a salesman, handed him my desired specs and asked him to place the order. Collected the car 3 months later. Then I had to fill in a post-sale questionnaire from head office. The poor salesman was all flustered because he had to explain to his manager why he had not offered me a test drive... Why test drive a Honda or Toyota? These are the nearest thing to generics. The more expensive version/model will always be nicer :annoyed

rossiFan

Post by rossiFan » Sat May 25, 2019 10:58 am

When we were looking for a sporty car for my wife the local Nissan dealer let us have a 350Z for a couple of hours. We drove around for awhile then took the Z over to the Honda dealer, test drove an S2000 and then parked them side by side while she decided which one she like best. We ended up buying the Z from the same dealer that loaned us their car. Because of our color/trim choice we had to wait on a car was being shipped over from Japan.