ongoing eBay buying problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
legio XX

ongoing eBay buying problems

Post by legio XX » Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am

Has anyone else had problems buying on eBay?

I've already wasted the time to call eBay and PayPal. PayPal says eBay is responsible for its own site; eBay says the problem is the vendor's and they "noted the problem." What are the odds that I'd pick four or five consecutive vendors with problems? I finally contacted one vendor who said there was no problem as far as they knew . . .

The purchases are small and mundane - not crook bait. My CC and PP accounts work fine everywhere else. Am now worried that my items for sale - again basic stuff with competitive prices, lots of looks but no buys while the similar items have higher prices - are not moving because of this glitch, whatever it is.

Anyone know what's up with them? Time to quit the 'Bay?

k3vb0t

Re: ongoing eBay buying problems

Post by k3vb0t » Thu May 23, 2019 7:57 am

You haven’t provided enough clear detail to explain your problem, at least from how I’m reading it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:00 am

Op,

Are you buying, selling or both?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:07 am

I very infrequently buy from eBay but did purchase a chain saw replacement part that never showed up. I sent a message to the seller (in China) who responded that he will immediately refund my credit card, which he did. I don't know, but assumed that he got caught up in tariffs and rather than deal with it, didn't bother shipping the part, waiting for me to respond.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am

k3vb0t wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:57 am
You haven’t provided enough clear detail to explain your problem, at least from how I’m reading it.
Can't make purchases on eBay. Long time eBayer. No CC or PayPal problem anywhere else. "Reps" no help. Are you able to make routine eBay buys lately?

Both buy and sell on very small scale, but the immediate issue is buying. Was simply wondering if this glitch, whatever it is, might be affecting sales as well. There's no way to know unless someone contacts me about it.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:51 am

Dumped ebay some time ago due to ongoing buying (no delivery/inferior products) and selling issues (buyers claiming damaged product-taking parts off electronics). Also issues with PP re refunds and delays. No regrets leaving.

z91

Post by z91 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am

Still pretty vague. What's the error?

If you're this vague with the reps, I can see why they might not be able to help..

panine

Post by panine » Thu May 23, 2019 10:39 am

Since Ebay and Paypal are separate, I had a problem with Paypal updating my credit card expiration date (when I got a new card) even though it updated fine on Ebay. This may not be your problem, but go into each account and check every bit of account information so they match. Also, some sellers have it set so that they only receive bids from people who have a certain number of positive feedbacks. If you haven't bought or sold enough and gotten enough good feedback numbers, that may be it.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 am

legio XX wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am
Time to quit the 'Bay?
Yes, it is time.
For me it was when PP asked for my SSN. :oops:

Ha! Not a chance.

I know EB and PP are separate legal entities now, but they are still joined at the hip.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 am

legio XX wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am
k3vb0t wrote:
Can't make purchases on eBay. Long time eBayer. No CC or PayPal problem anywhere else. "Reps" no help. Are you able to make routine eBay buys lately?

Both buy and sell on very small scale, but the immediate issue is buying. Was simply wondering if this glitch, whatever it is, might be affecting sales as well. There's no way to know unless someone contacts me about it.
No problems here, I made a purchase 2 days ago I think that has been shipped but haven't received it yet, and maybe 3-4 purchases over the past month. I've never really had a problem with ebay or Paypal.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Thu May 23, 2019 11:21 am

legio XX wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:55 am
Has anyone else had problems buying on eBay?

I've already wasted the time to call eBay and PayPal. PayPal says eBay is responsible for its own site; eBay says the problem is the vendor's and they "noted the problem." What are the odds that I'd pick four or five consecutive vendors with problems? I finally contacted one vendor who said there was no problem as far as they knew . . .

The purchases are small and mundane - not crook bait. My CC and PP accounts work fine everywhere else. Am now worried that my items for sale - again basic stuff with competitive prices, lots of looks but no buys while the similar items have higher prices - are not moving because of this glitch, whatever it is.

Anyone know what's up with them? Time to quit the 'Bay?
I avoid all business on eBay now due to poor/fraudulent sellers.

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu May 23, 2019 11:23 am

I've been helping with some parental downsizing. I sold a set of four heavy heirloom small glass tumblers to a buyer. Buyer claimed one arrived broken, but couldn't send me a picture b/c she was going to a wedding. I said I'd wait. I know how to pack glassware, and wasn't making much on the sale—just want items to go to a good home. Several days later, I received an email from eBay to the effect "your item arrived damaged, we've refunded the buyer's purchase price and debited your account."

That was the last time I tried to sell anything on ebay. Ebay tends to favor buyers, so now I use them only occasionally for small items with decent prices that are difficult to counterfeit. I used to really dig ebay, but not any more.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am

I still have an account but have not used ebay in quite a while.

1) One of many Amazon victims for many products.
2) I got sick of selling myself, dealing with bad buyers.
3) Trying to de-clutter and not buy "stuff"

k3vb0t

Post by k3vb0t » Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am

legio XX wrote:
k3vb0t wrote:

Still not enough detail.

How are you buying? Adding one time to cart and checking out? Clicking buy it now? Be specific if you want help.

You “can’t make purchases” could mean:
-technical error when you add to cart or click buy now
-your card or form of payment is declining the purchase
-everything seems to go through fine with add to cart & checkout or buy it now but you find out later it didn’t go through or was canceled — could be technical but likely a financial decline

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu May 23, 2019 11:47 am

I’ve had no issues recently either with buying or selling.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm

k3vb0t wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am
legio XX wrote:
k3vb0t wrote:

Still not enough detail.

How are you buying? Adding one time to cart and checking out? Clicking buy it now? Be specific if you want help.

-everything seems to go through fine with add to cart & checkout or buy it now but you find out later it didn’t go through or was canceled — could be technical but likely a financial decline

I agree a bit more information would be useful.
For reference, I have recently (in past week) used eBay for a product with 'buy it now, free shipping included' option from a seller from US with good feedback. I usually stay away from out of country sellers, unless something I am buying is too specific and is only sold from foreign sellers.

No issues whatsoever.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:12 pm

I have bought 4 items in the past two months on eBay with no problems. Bought 3 obscure CDs, with one from Germany, as well as one used cook book. I used PayPal in all cases with no issues even with the Euro transaction in Germany. I use eBay also for movie DVDs and Blu-Ray as they tend to be cheaper and also ship quickly.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm

I have also bought items recently without incident.

OP, you may be encountering issues with sellers who have set up restrictions as to which buyers can purchase their items. For example, when I sold items, I set it so that buyers with either zero feedback or recent negative feedback were not allowed to bid on my auctions/hit my BINs. I think that's fairly common practice now, so if you fall into those categories, that may be what is preventing you from buying.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm

This post reminds me of when my wife asked me to fix the lawnmower.

“Whats wrong with it?” I asked.
“I don't know. If I knew, I wouldn't be asking you to fix it.”
I try asking in a different way, "How do you know it is broken?"
"Because it doesn't work."
I get frustrated, "What doesn't work?"
"The lawnmower!" she screamed.

Anyway, I bought 4-5 things in the last 2 months on eBay. They were less than $10 items and received without issue. It's not clear to me what the OP's issue is to even begin offering solutions. Need more details.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

I made a purchase on Ebay a couple of days ago, and to my surprise PayPal option to pay was not available. I could either enter my credit card number directly (which I did) or use I think Google Pay, but may be wrong about that one. There was little blue link in small font called "Where is PayPal" or something like that above payment options, and when I clicked it said that they are changing their payment system and PayPal is not available yet at that time.

So something going on for sure.

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 pm

z91 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am

If you're this vague with the reps, I can see why they might not be able to help..
Cannot make a simple purchase. How is that vague?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm

eBay and PayPal split many years ago, but eBay continued to use PayPal as their payment processor.

That is changing and they are moving sellers over to their new "Managed Payments" platform that does not include PayPal, at the moment, I believe.

My buddy, who is a massive seller was switched over, I have not been switched over as a seller yet.

Could this have to do with it?

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/se ... -ebay.html

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 pm

legio XX wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 pm
z91 wrote:

That is still very vague. You are giving zero details.

Describe what is happening. In detail. Include all steps.

Some totally made up examples:

You click "Buy It Now", and you get a 404 error message.

You click "Buy It Now", walk through the process, complete the purchase via Paypal. You later receive an email stating that your purchase was declined.

You enter a bid amount and click "Place Bid". The bid shows up in the bid history, but then later disappears from the site.

Even these examples are brief, but much more detail than what you are offering.
Last edited by greg24 on Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

z91

Post by z91 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

legio XX wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:51 pm
z91 wrote:

:oops:

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Thu May 23, 2019 4:20 pm

k3vb0t wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am
Still not enough detail.

Ah. The last of these is what happens. Financial decline seems unlikely since there is no CC or PP problem elsewhere. This is the same CC and the same PP acc't I've always used. And when the card expiry date changed I entered the info on PP with no problem. Don't leave the card info on eBay; I enter it if I need to use it.

The "error message" someone asked about is "payment being processed" which I've never seen until this hassle started. Then the transaction simply disappears from My eBay.
themesrob wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm
I have also bought items recently without incident.

OP, you may be encountering issues with sellers who have set up restrictions as to which buyers can purchase their items. For example, when I sold items, I set it so that buyers with either zero feedback or recent negative feedback were not allowed to bid on my auctions/hit my BINs. I think that's fairly common practice now, so if you fall into those categories, that may be what is preventing you from buying.
Thanks, but have several hundred feedbacks over 18 years and 100% positive rating.

Actually, my experience as both buyer and seller has been good. In 18 years barely a handful of jerks and more insult than injury. I buy smallish stuff like OTCs and printer cartridges ($30 at Staples, $20 on eBay - if I could buy it.) regularly on eBay because they are simply cheaper there.
serbeer wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm
I made a purchase on Ebay a couple of days ago, and to my surprise PayPal option to pay was not available. I could either enter my credit card number directly (which I did) or use I think Google Pay, but may be wrong about that one. There was little blue link in small font called "Where is PayPal" or something like that above payment options, and when I clicked it said that they are changing their payment system and PayPal is not available yet at that time.

So something going on for sure.
That may be what the rep wasn't saying. It seemed weird if every vendor I picked over the past few days was having a problem specific to them . . . Last time, three or four months ago, there was a similar payment problem just entering the CC info manually worked, but not this time.

Glad the rest of you aren't having Murphy problems. thx for the comments.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu May 23, 2019 4:31 pm

I've made dozens of purchases on ebay over a decade or so. The only one I had trouble with came from the depths of Europe (Lower Slobovia or some place like that) and a US delivery firm lost it in the US.

California88

Post by California88 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:52 pm

I buy a few things on Ebay and haven't had any problems ... always leave positive reviews ... so no ugly back and forth between buyer and seller. For me buying on Ebay has gotten easier than it used to be. Now I don't even put in my Ebay or Paypal passwords (Paypal has my credit card #) - so it's probably only a 1 OR 2 CLICK process for me.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 pm

another thing that occurred to me is that last week, I noticed that my Paypal account balance wasn't showing up when I bought an item on ebay and looked at the payment options. I logged into Paypal, and immediately received a notification that I needed to set up a Paypal "cash" account, and had to go through a whole sequence to do so. Once I did that, my Paypal account was synced back up with ebay. I didn't complete the ebay transaction until I fixed the Paypal issue, so I don't know if the transaction would have been cancelled, but maybe check that too?

tldr: maybe log into Paypal and verify everything is up to date

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 pm
eBay and PayPal split many years ago, but eBay continued to use PayPal as their payment processor.

That is changing and they are moving sellers over to their new "Managed Payments" platform that does not include PayPal, at the moment, I believe.

My buddy, who is a massive seller was switched over, I have not been switched over as a seller yet.

Could this have to do with it?

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/se ... -ebay.html
Thanks, Runner. This sounds like what's going on, except that the "Buyers will be educated on the available payment options during the checkout process" part doesn't seem to be set up. All I get is payments that are never processed. No idea why just filling in the CC info isn't working. And, as a very small seller I haven't had any notification at all about this. Whoopie.

BTW, whoever raised the point, no matter how badly I may have explained this to the eBay phone rep, they had the entire record on screen and saw every attempted transaction, etc., so my "vague" exposition wouldn't be an issue :annoyed

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 am

Clark Howard says not to buy from a seller with less than a 98% rating. I buy on ebay but no big items all under $100
A long time ago a guy cheated me out of $8 before I knew what to do. I have saved way more than $8 since then so it was ok in the end.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:56 am

DH and I experienced a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. We were trying to purchase an item from a seller in the US. We don’t have an EBay or PP account. We were using the buy it now option and entering in a CC number. We’d enter in all the information and then the sale would not go through. We tried several times on different devices. We couldn’t figure out what we were doing wrong, so we just gave up and ordered through a different company.

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:36 am

I thought I should let people know how this turned out. I can now buy on eBay, as usual. No idea what the problem was so nothing useful to say to anyone with the same problem.

It began when I couldn't complete a purchase transaction. Went through the usual process until the end; then the screen would read "pending" instead of "complete." Within a short time the transaction simply disappeared from MyeBay. No problems with my CC anywhere else. No problems listing and selling on eBay. No problem transferring funds from PayPal to the linked bank acc't.

Calls to eBay, the CC co. and PayPal had no result. The eBay reps said things like "clear your cache" and "try another browser." The CC co said the problem was with PayPal. PayPal said first that there was no problem and to call eBay. On round 2, the PP rep said that "probably" RISK had been somehow triggered - RISK is their security algorithm - and if I just left it alone for a week the system would flush. (Of course they wouldn't tell me what caused the problem so I could avoid it - that would give away secrets.)

The system may have eventually flushed - no idea when, but it was way longer than a week. I gave up trying and made the purchases I wanted to as a "guest" - using the same CC, email, shipping address, etc. The downside to this is that eBay charges "guest" buyers a fee . . .

Recently tried again; the transaction went through, and a second just did. The cause and the cure remain unknown but to RISK. Why am I not reassured that my online acc'ts are protected . . .

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:51 am

eBay is buggy. If you're going to use them, you have to accept that and deal with it. I used to buy gift cards on eBay as part of a circle of manufactured spending.....so 3 separate eBay and Paypal accounts and $15k a year in purchases. One "regular" glitch in paying, where payment would be put in and the screen came back with no payment shown. My payment method didn't show any use, so at least that wasn't a problem. Called eBay CSR who had me go into the Canadian eBay and make the payment from there. Worked. Clearly the CSR had found the way to get around a "normal" eBay glitch.

I ran into eBay problems on probably a weekly basis. Every problem was eventually solved.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid