Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
F150HD
Posts: 2651
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by F150HD » Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm

here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 update is out, and it fixes the worst thing about Windows updates

Microsoft last month announced a new Windows 10 policy that seems to fix the worst thing about Windows updates in general. The company decided to finally let you choose when or even if you want to install the latest Windows 10 version, and that’s great news considering that last year’s major Windows 10 updates were plagued by a few annoying problems, including “Blue Screen of Death” issues in April and those aggravating file deletions that followed the October Update. This brings us to Microsoft’s next major Windows 10 release, the May 2019 Update, which is available for download right away — and don’t worry, because it should be safe to install.

Microsoft rolled out the May 2019 Update (version 1903) update to beta testers last month, saying that the final version of the software would be available to all users come late May. It’s late May now, which means you can go ahead and update your machine to the latest operating system version.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9622
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 22, 2019 7:02 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

Microsoft’s latest Windows 10 update is out, and it fixes the worst thing about Windows updates

Microsoft last month announced a new Windows 10 policy that seems to fix the worst thing about Windows updates in general. The company decided to finally let you choose when or even if you want to install the latest Windows 10 version, and that’s great news considering that last year’s major Windows 10 updates were plagued by a few annoying problems, including “Blue Screen of Death” issues in April and those aggravating file deletions that followed the October Update. This brings us to Microsoft’s next major Windows 10 release, the May 2019 Update, which is available for download right away — and don’t worry, because it should be safe to install.

Microsoft rolled out the May 2019 Update (version 1903) update to beta testers last month, saying that the final version of the software would be available to all users come late May. It’s late May now, which means you can go ahead and update your machine to the latest operating system version.
Well, unlike that one time when it took FOREVER, when I just installed this update, it went smoothly and quickly. Nothing at all notable.

Hope the same for you!

Oh, I did a full backup first, just in case...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

I generally let the major build changes season about six months. I am still at 1803. Maybe this summer I'll update to 1809.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9622
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

I generally let the major build changes season about six months. I am still at 1803. Maybe this summer I'll update to 1809.
Is there a way to hold off on the big update, while still allowing the Anti-Virus updates in Windows?

At least I had learned here, from an early thread about this, how to make the update need my "permission" rather than installing automatically. But as it stands now, I'd need to keep the anti-virus updates from installing, too.

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Drovor
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Drovor » Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm
jebmke wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

I generally let the major build changes season about six months. I am still at 1803. Maybe this summer I'll update to 1809.
Is there a way to hold off on the big update, while still allowing the Anti-Virus updates in Windows?

At least I had learned here, from an early thread about this, how to make the update need my "permission" rather than installing automatically. But as it stands now, I'd need to keep the anti-virus updates from installing, too.

Thanks.

RM
I just read the latest update coming out will allow you to pause the big updates while allowing the normal updates to install.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/22/1863 ... res-review

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9622
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Drovor wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm
jebmke wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

I generally let the major build changes season about six months. I am still at 1803. Maybe this summer I'll update to 1809.
Is there a way to hold off on the big update, while still allowing the Anti-Virus updates in Windows?

At least I had learned here, from an early thread about this, how to make the update need my "permission" rather than installing automatically. But as it stands now, I'd need to keep the anti-virus updates from installing, too.

Thanks.

RM
I just read the latest update coming out will allow you to pause the big updates while allowing the normal updates to install.
How?

I just get a prompt to Download or not (or words to that effect).
Sometimes there are several sections, but it's an "all or none" go/no-go.

What do I need to do to change this?

The way I learned her to make the updates sort of "optional" was to declare our internet connection as "metered", and then it takes either permission to update anyway, or it will wait or a non-metered connection.

Thanks!

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see the link initially.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Drovor
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Drovor » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm

I edited my post to include the article. You would need to install the May update.

The only other way is the "metered" workaround you stated. It is all or nothing at that point for running manual updates.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Under Advanced Options you can defer feature updates. There is a drop down box. I set mine to 180 days.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

bondsr4me
Posts: 1326
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by bondsr4me » Thu May 23, 2019 2:04 pm

my SP6 did an update on 5/19 for Version 1803 (KB4023057).

no problems....so far that is!

Drovor
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Drovor » Thu May 23, 2019 3:32 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm
Under Advanced Options you can defer feature updates. There is a drop down box. I set mine to 180 days.
Forgot all about that. Thanks!

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9622
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by ResearchMed » Wed May 29, 2019 6:57 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 pm
Drovor wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm
jebmke wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
here we go again....am reluctant to install anymore Win 10 updates then absolutely necessary

I generally let the major build changes season about six months. I am still at 1803. Maybe this summer I'll update to 1809.
Is there a way to hold off on the big update, while still allowing the Anti-Virus updates in Windows?

At least I had learned here, from an early thread about this, how to make the update need my "permission" rather than installing automatically. But as it stands now, I'd need to keep the anti-virus updates from installing, too.

Thanks.

RM
I just read the latest update coming out will allow you to pause the big updates while allowing the normal updates to install.
How?

I just get a prompt to Download or not (or words to that effect).
Sometimes there are several sections, but it's an "all or none" go/no-go.

What do I need to do to change this?

The way I learned her to make the updates sort of "optional" was to declare our internet connection as "metered", and then it takes either permission to update anyway, or it will wait or a non-metered connection.

Thanks!

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see the link initially.

RM
ONE WEEK LATER:

This is very interesting. Did something change per Microsoft/Windows?
(I hadn't changed - or tried to change - anything yet.)

When I did my regular "Check for updates" on the little "Windows Update" section, instead of getting either the minimal update OR the "restart now"-required major update, now I have the ability to continue to "Check for updates" *OR*...

... there is a separate section that does NOT require "action right now", showing:

"Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903
The next version of Windows is available with new features and security
improvements. When you're ready for the update, select "Download and
install now
."
[Emphasis added]

Immediately under that is the clickable "Download and install now"

Has Microsoft changed how they now present some of the more major updates (rather than just the anti-virus update) so that the timing is optional? Or is this some *different* type of "feature update".

The nice thing with this is that one can still do the antivirus updates, while delaying the more major system/feature update, which is precisely what I was asking about last week.

It would be very nice if this has fixed that issue... but I worry that this is just an intermediate type of update, and the other type will be "baaaack", disallowing anti-virus updates until the whole hog update is completed (which would also be impossible to stop if one does a re-start; not sure how that works with this new one).

Thank you.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7107
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by bertilak » Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm

So, how come Microsoft isn't offering me (a run-of-the-mill consumer) an update from 1809 to 1903?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3201
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu May 30, 2019 3:01 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm
So, how come Microsoft isn't offering me (a run-of-the-mill consumer) an update from 1809 to 1903?
You aren't alone. I'm being left out as well.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Thu May 30, 2019 3:04 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm
So, how come Microsoft isn't offering me (a run-of-the-mill consumer) an update from 1809 to 1903?
They generally roll these out rather than blast them out to everyone. Probably reduces their traffic on the servers and gives them some room to shut down the process if something comes up as more users install.

I generally view early adoption as an expansion of the quality testing. Similar to pharmaceuticals, you are probably better off waiting to see how things go with the early patients.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7107
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by bertilak » Thu May 30, 2019 3:07 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:04 pm
They generally roll these out rather than blast them out to everyone. Probably reduces their traffic on the servers and gives them some room to shut down the process if something comes up as more users install.
I'm willing to take it as it comes. I was just curious and your explanation makes sense.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Freefun
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Freefun » Thu May 30, 2019 3:17 pm

I had to switch to Apple ever since Microsoft Vista crashed every machine I owned.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Thu May 30, 2019 3:19 pm

The build updates are feature updates. It has been a long time since I have found new features worth jumping the gun for. I am still at 1803 on my main computer. I would have stayed at 1709 but I think it was coming to the end of the maintenance cycle. I can't recall exactly.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9622
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by ResearchMed » Thu May 30, 2019 3:21 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:04 pm
bertilak wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm
So, how come Microsoft isn't offering me (a run-of-the-mill consumer) an update from 1809 to 1903?
They generally roll these out rather than blast them out to everyone. Probably reduces their traffic on the servers and gives them some room to shut down the process if something comes up as more users install.

I generally view early adoption as an expansion of the quality testing. Similar to pharmaceuticals, you are probably better off waiting to see how things go with the early patients.
Right.

After that l-o-o-o-n-g install about a year (?) ago, I've wished we would NOT be among the early system updates.
(I'll still take the timely anti-virus updates, but those haven't seemed to cause trouble.)

That's the reason I wanted to avoid the forced system updates.
So far, this current "update" has *not* "self-installed, including when there are antivirus updates, and including a laptop shutdown.

I'm not sure how long to wait, and I also don't know if the 'new' update even has any features we'd want.

I did reason the other day about how Microsoft was indeed handling this all differently, but I can't find the article.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

gtd98765
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by gtd98765 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:04 pm

I installed the 1903 update last week, along with the updated update today, to two laptops. No issues so far, everything works.

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

I've updated two desktop machines and one laptop to the May 2019 Update (1903) without issue. In all cases Windows Update didn't offer the update to me, so being a techie I used the Windows Update Assistant (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... -assistant) to get the update.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 am

If you can now decline updates (not defer them), then that's another hurdle out of the way to finally prying Windows 7 from me. However, I read in the article something about signing into Windows with a phone number rather than a password? Is there no option for neither? To you Win10 users out there, is there really no way to just turn on the computer and have it boot directly to the desktop, without having to click on a user/account and/or entering a password?

02nz
Posts: 3248
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by 02nz » Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 am
If you can now decline updates (not defer them), then that's another hurdle out of the way to finally prying Windows 7 from me. However, I read in the article something about signing into Windows with a phone number rather than a password? Is there no option for neither? To you Win10 users out there, is there really no way to just turn on the computer and have it boot directly to the desktop, without having to click on a user/account and/or entering a password?
You need an email address or phone number if you want to use a Microsoft account (OneDrive, settings sync), but for Windows itself you can still use just a local password or no password at all.

02nz
Posts: 3248
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by 02nz » Fri May 31, 2019 9:46 am

I’m also running 1903 with no problems. Microsoft seems to have learned its lesson from the previous update, and they left this update in the final testing phase for far longer (over a month) than previous updates.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Fri May 31, 2019 9:59 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 am
If you can now decline updates (not defer them), then that's another hurdle out of the way to finally prying Windows 7 from me. However, I read in the article something about signing into Windows with a phone number rather than a password? Is there no option for neither? To you Win10 users out there, is there really no way to just turn on the computer and have it boot directly to the desktop, without having to click on a user/account and/or entering a password?
I don't really know for sure but this is an extremely un-secure practice. I use a 4-digit PIN for my desktop. For TaxAide we use passwords.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am

jebmke wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:59 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 am
If you can now decline updates (not defer them), then that's another hurdle out of the way to finally prying Windows 7 from me. However, I read in the article something about signing into Windows with a phone number rather than a password? Is there no option for neither? To you Win10 users out there, is there really no way to just turn on the computer and have it boot directly to the desktop, without having to click on a user/account and/or entering a password?
I don't really know for sure but this is an extremely un-secure practice. I use a 4-digit PIN for my desktop. For TaxAide we use passwords.
Insecure practice? To not want to lock my home computer? Who's going to access it - a burglar? And even if they did, what are they going to do - play some songs and check their e-mail? I don't keep sensitive information on my computer, nor do I leave my online accounts logged in, nor do I save passwords or payment information, nor do I allow my browser to remember history. I'd be way worse off if the burglar stole my filing cabinet, because that has personal and financial information in it. I also don't lock my phone because there's nothing on there except a contact list.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7107
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by bertilak » Fri May 31, 2019 10:50 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am
I'd be way worse off if the burglar stole my filing cabinet, because that has personal and financial information in it.
My computer, and associated cloud storage (aka OneDrive), IS my filing cabinet.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

RetiredAL
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by RetiredAL » Fri May 31, 2019 3:41 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 am
If you can now decline updates (not defer them), then that's another hurdle out of the way to finally prying Windows 7 from me. However, I read in the article something about signing into Windows with a phone number rather than a password? Is there no option for neither? To you Win10 users out there, is there really no way to just turn on the computer and have it boot directly to the desktop, without having to click on a user/account and/or entering a password?
"boot directly to desktop" -- You can have a null password, but it will still prompt, but <enter> or mouse click will allow you to continue.

Here's what I did. When I installed Win10, I exited the "Create Microsoft Account" process without creating. When Win10 tried to create local profile/password, I entered nothing as a password to create a profile with a null password. This was a couple of years ago, so the process may have changed.

As others have stated, this allows unrestricted access to the profile you created, so don't do this on a portable device. Even when doing this on a desktop, consider using a 7zip password protected folder for important personal data.

Also, a new install should have at least one add'l Admin Level user profile to allow access to machine if your default user profile gets scrambled.

User avatar
burt
Posts: 778
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by burt » Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 pm

Problems with the update on two home laptops.
Spouse has problems with intermittent wireless connectivity. Web search indicates others with the same problem.
Advised to download the latest driver from the OEM website. OEM website doesn't have an update (Lenovo).
I get an error message on my laptop when it tries to execute the "cumulative" update.

I'm getting darn tired of the Windows OS.
A computer is a tool which is supposed to help me, not a device which I must waste hours trying to fix.
Spouse is very not happy so..... most likely will be buying a new laptop.... Apple or Chromebook.

burt

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Fri May 31, 2019 5:20 pm

burt wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 pm
Problems with the update on two home laptops.
Spouse has problems with intermittent wireless connectivity. Web search indicates others with the same problem.
Advised to download the latest driver from the OEM website. OEM website doesn't have an update (Lenovo).
I get an error message on my laptop when it tries to execute the "cumulative" update.

I'm getting darn tired of the Windows OS.
A computer is a tool which is supposed to help me, not a device which I must waste hours trying to fix.
Spouse is very not happy so..... most likely will be buying a new laptop.... Apple or Chromebook.

burt
I have also found (on test systems) that sometimes OEM hardware drivers do not update via Windows on a new OS build right after release. Another reason to delay installing new builds for a while.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

02nz
Posts: 3248
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by 02nz » Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm

burt wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 pm
Problems with the update on two home laptops.
Spouse has problems with intermittent wireless connectivity. Web search indicates others with the same problem.
Advised to download the latest driver from the OEM website. OEM website doesn't have an update (Lenovo).
I get an error message on my laptop when it tries to execute the "cumulative" update.

I'm getting darn tired of the Windows OS.
A computer is a tool which is supposed to help me, not a device which I must waste hours trying to fix.
Spouse is very not happy so..... most likely will be buying a new laptop.... Apple or Chromebook.

burt
If you have Intel wifi (many or most PCs do - check in Device Manager), download the latest drivers from support.intel.com. Intel updates WiFi and Bluetooth drivers about monthly.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Fri May 31, 2019 5:42 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm
Intel wifi
These are the ones I have often found missing. Even after the first month, they may download but not install correctly. Often takes a couple of reboots for them to finally install. By month three or four things seem pretty stable.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3201
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri May 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm
I've updated two desktop machines and one laptop to the May 2019 Update (1903) without issue. In all cases Windows Update didn't offer the update to me, so being a techie I used the Windows Update Assistant (https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... -assistant) to get the update.
I updated my PC via this method today. Took an hour or so--only about 20 minutes that interfered with my use. So far; so good.

CFM300
Posts: 1693
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by CFM300 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:36 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am
I also don't lock my phone because there's nothing on there except a contact list.
Your phone isn't your second factor?

User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2771
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by BigFoot48 » Fri May 31, 2019 6:57 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:00 pm
Microsoft last month announced a new Windows 10 policy that seems to fix the worst thing about Windows updates in general. The company decided to finally let you choose when or even if you want to install the latest Windows 10 version,
So glad to hear they are doing this as my 92YO MIL really doesn't need to update her computer used for sending emails and ordering prescriptions. Updates often results in confusion and questions and an occasional visit from a PC repair guy.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2771
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 am

Oops, nevermind..... sorry mom
Having recently promised Windows 10 users full control over updates with its major 1903 upgrade, Microsoft has now walked that back and it is Windows 10 Home users (who account for the lion’s share of the OSes 800M-strong userbase) who are hit hardest.

CNet breaks down the new rules, and the shocker is Windows 10 Home users “can't automatically defer any updates”. All you get is the option to manually pause updates for up to 35 days. This is a process you must keep repeating every week to account for new updates. Worst still, Microsoft will apply “end-of-service dates” to Windows 10 versions and when that date is hit, the next updates are installed automatically and there’s nothing you can do about it.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 43b9927fa7
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

User avatar
Topic Author
F150HD
Posts: 2651
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by F150HD » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:45 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 am
Oops, nevermind..... sorry mom
Having recently promised Windows 10 users full control over updates with its major 1903 upgrade, Microsoft has now walked that back and it is Windows 10 Home users (who account for the lion’s share of the OSes 800M-strong userbase) who are hit hardest.

CNet breaks down the new rules, and the shocker is Windows 10 Home users “can't automatically defer any updates”. All you get is the option to manually pause updates for up to 35 days. This is a process you must keep repeating every week to account for new updates. Worst still, Microsoft will apply “end-of-service dates” to Windows 10 versions and when that date is hit, the next updates are installed automatically and there’s nothing you can do about it.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 43b9927fa7
:oops:
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 13031
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by nedsaid » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:12 pm

I am downloading the 1903 update to my laptop right now.

Edit: It got stuck at 99% downloaded. So it will have to wait until my next trip to the coffee shop.
Last edited by nedsaid on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and his money are good for business.

RetiredAL
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by RetiredAL » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Last week, I successfully installed 1903 on my very old Dell 620.

I was pleasantly surprised. On the previous major auto update, it failed with a somewhat cryptic error msg that purportedly was related to a driver issue, but the log did not point to a driver at the termination point. Win10 did automatically revert to the previous install after it appeared to have stalled for about 30 minutes.

In trying 1903, I proactively used the Update Assistant before the Auto Updater ran and everything went along fine. As I understand, the Assistant does additional checking and/or installs compared to the Auto Updater. The Dell 620 is only used for PI and Arduino work, and if due to its age that Win10 no longer worked, oh well, Linux full-time.

For my no-name desktop and my much newer Dell Latitude E6420 I'm currently typing on, which are both set to delay, neither have ever whined during a update, thus I'm little concerned about their pending Auto Updates. The fact that I delay, does that indicate paranoia or prudence. Probably both.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:27 pm

There are various sites that list what features were added with 1903. Nothing pops out as something I really need right away.

I have upgraded one of my virtual machines to see how it behaves. This won't test hardware issues but I can at least see if any of the new features are interesting.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... tures-list
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
Topic Author
F150HD
Posts: 2651
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by F150HD » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 pm

:confused

NSA Warns Microsoft Windows Users: Update Now Or Face 'Devastating Damage'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinde ... /amp/
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

Housedoc
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Housedoc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:20 pm

Installed on my son's laptop this weekend. It ran overnight. Doing my laptop today that has a power on and hdd password so each reboot I have to enter passwords. A 4yr old machine and it has been in various steps for 8 hours. I am in the final stages now at 48pct. Plan ahead if you are doing this update. It's about 100 degree heat index today so I am having a cool time.

User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2771
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:40 pm

I installed 1903 today and it wiped out my D: partition where I keep all my data. The partition had to be reformatted to be made usable, now I have to reload it from my daily backups. Very disturbed and dismayed by this Window update. A Google search reveals this is a problem dating back to at least 1809, which was never installed on mine. Note I use a separate partition for data, moving it from the assigned C: locations.

Tip: Do backups of all your data before installing 1903.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

Dead Man Walking
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 pm

I have been using Windows 7 for several years and am disappointed that it will not be supported after January 20, 2020. I never installed Windows 10 because of the reported problems with it. After reading this thread, I am going to investigate a Chromebook. I’m retired and only use my desktop for banking and investing. I may take my desktop off line and use it for word processing. Perhaps my iPad would be secure enough for banking and investing.

DMW

123
Posts: 5563
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by 123 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:29 am

I installed the May 2019 Update (1903) on two Windows 10 Pro desktops last night, pretty much without incident. Both machines were 5 years of age or less. Process took about 2 hours on each desktop. During the final parts of the update there were, I think, 10 or more automatic restarts as the installations of the various components were applied.

From what I've read about it the update generally resets more parameters than prior updates.

I had some issues with internet connectivity after the update was applied on one desktop. Resetting my router resolved those problems.

Likely better to update overnight to reduce anxiety as the various "getting ready", "downloading", and "installing" counters seemed to increment very slowly at times.

YMMV, Good Luck.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:40 am

I installed a clean image of 1903 on two newish Lenovo laptops without incident. 1903 installed OK on an old HP Pavillion (vintage 2011) but could not activate the image even though there appeared to be an internet connection. Settings was showing no internet but I was able to get out on a browser. Might be some issues with older hardware. I have 10 Pavillions that I will keep at 1803/1809 this year. So far, 1903 looks ok on recent hardware.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
Topic Author
F150HD
Posts: 2651
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by F150HD » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm

:| another update issue... Red screen of death after update

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 10/amp/
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

User avatar
Electron
Posts: 1959
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Electron » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm
:| another update issue... Red screen of death after update

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 10/amp/
I continue to read about problems with Windows 10 updates that affect at least some percentage of users. I don't know if the problems are related to specific motherboards or if other factors are involved.

Has anyone come up with a strategy for dealing with new updates? If nothing else, it seems worth waiting for some period of time.
Electron

jebmke
Posts: 10108
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by jebmke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:51 pm

I normally wait at least six month before I install a major build. I just migrated from 1809 to 1903 this last week. I think 1903 has been out for almost a year now. 1909 was release in the early summer I think. I'll let it simmer for a while longer and maybe look at it later this year.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
Topic Author
F150HD
Posts: 2651
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by F150HD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Electron wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm
:| another update issue... Red screen of death after update

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... 10/amp/
I continue to read about problems with Windows 10 updates that affect at least some percentage of users. I don't know if the problems are related to specific motherboards or if other factors are involved.

Has anyone come up with a strategy for dealing with new updates? If nothing else, it seems worth waiting for some period of time.
seems about every other week I see a Forbes article on a new Win 10 issue.

User avatar
Peculiar_Investor
Posts: 1414
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 - May 2019 Update (1903)

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 pm

F150HD wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:33 pm
seems about every other week I see a Forbes article on a new Win 10 issue.
Sorry but Forbes isn't a technology magazine so I'd look elsewhere at a resource that has technical expertise and knowledge.

As to the Forbes article author, you might want to read The Windows 10 misinformation machine fires up again | ZDNet
The loudest voices screaming about Windows 10 sometimes have no idea what they're talking about. Case in point: This dire warning from Gordon Kelly at Forbes, who is as ill-informed as ever.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Post Reply