Renewing TSA Precheck

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sac

Renewing TSA Precheck

Post by sac » Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm

My Precheck status expires in six months. Has anyone renewed it? Do they add five years to your expiration date when you renew (like a driver's license) or do they give you five years from the date you renew (like a passport)?

Obviously, I want what I paid for, not 9/10 of what I paid for.

CommitmentDevice

Re: Renewing TSA Precheck

Post by CommitmentDevice » Tue May 21, 2019 1:25 pm

There are credit cards that offer free TSA Precheck as a perk.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue May 21, 2019 1:28 pm

sac wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm
My Precheck status expires in six months. Has anyone renewed it? Do they add five years to your expiration date when you renew (like a driver's license) or do they give you five years from the date you renew (like a passport)?

Obviously, I want what I paid for, not 9/10 of what I paid for.
I renewed. I did it six months before expiration but still got five full years extension from original expiration date. I inquired and was told this was policy and it worked out as promised. That is, my new expiration date is ten years from my original effective date. Cost was reimbursed by my credit card. (IHG Premier)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 pm

I haven't considered paying for TSA precheck. Up until last year, we weren't flying commercial on many domestic flights, since we DIYed most flights. However, I've been in between owning an aircraft for several months and so have taken several commercial flights (around 8).

In every case but one, our boarding passes have come up TSA precheck gratis. I don't know why, maybe since we're both in our late 60s. TSA Precheck is nice to have, particularly if it's free.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm

From the TSA website:
"Global Entry provides the TSA Pre✓ benefit plus expedited US customs screening for international air travelers when entering the United States. TSA Pre✓ costs $85 and Global Entry costs $100 for a five year membership."

If you fly internationally, the extra $15 for Global Entry is a deal. Coming through Dulles airport (Washington, DC) customs and immigration typically takes me 5 minutes with Global Entry. Prior to that I had 30-60 minutes waits.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm

calmaniac wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm
From the TSA website:
"Global Entry provides the TSA Pre✓ benefit plus expedited US customs screening for international air travelers when entering the United States. TSA Pre✓ costs $85 and Global Entry costs $100 for a five year membership."

If you fly internationally, the extra $15 for Global Entry is a deal. Coming through Dulles airport (Washington, DC) customs and immigration typically takes me 5 minutes with Global Entry. Prior to that I had 30-60 minutes waits.
I wish i could have done global entry for this reason - but it's harder to find airports that do it. Most regional airports do precheck but you usually need a big international airport for global entry. Or at least one bigger than mine!!

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Tue May 21, 2019 2:22 pm

calmaniac wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm
From the TSA website:

At many international gateway airports, installing the CBP app on your smartphone gives you the equivalent of Global Entry.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Tue May 21, 2019 2:26 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:12 pm
I wish i could have done global entry for this reason - but it's harder to find airports that do it. Most regional airports do precheck but you usually need a big international airport for global entry. Or at least one bigger than mine!!
I assume you are talking about the interview required to get Global Entry. If so, CBP has recently started a program called Interview on Arrival, which means you can complete the interview the next time you RETURN from an international trip.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm

Another nice thing about Global Entry is that is also a Nexus card for driving across the border (I only know about the Canadian border though).

I really find TSA pre super useful, I walk to the airport usually and the security point that is TSA pre only is right by the southern pedestrian entrance. It's the presidential suite of airport security for me at my home airport.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Global Entry is great but it was a long drive to nearest airport offering interviews. Spouse’s company had enough international business travelers that the company arranged to have the GE interviews onsite at company.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm

ronno2018 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Another nice thing about Global Entry is that is also a Nexus card for driving across the border (I only know about the Canadian border though).

I really find TSA pre super useful, I walk to the airport usually and the security point that is TSA pre only is right by the southern pedestrian entrance. It's the presidential suite of airport security for me at my home airport.
Wondering what airport has residential neighborhood within walking distance. Guessing it is DCA (Reagan National in Arlington, VA)? I know people who can walk to that airport. Convenient but awfully noisy! (I attended an un air-conditioned school under the flightpaths nearby.)

mm9811

Post by mm9811 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:45 pm

In answer to your original question. I have renewed my prechek and it added 5 years on to my expiration date.

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm
ronno2018 wrote:

Wondering what airport has residential neighborhood within walking distance. Guessing it is DCA (Reagan National in Arlington, VA)? I know people who can walk to that airport. Convenient but awfully noisy! (I attended an un air-conditioned school under the flightpaths nearby.)
My mother in law lives in a residential neighborhood nearby and I usually park in her driveway or in front of her house. It is a 22 minute walk from there to the airside entrance. This is a big city in the Pacific Northwest USA. The walk is mostly along a busy commercial arterial so not very pleasant, but not too bad early in the morning. I save $12 bucks compared to a taxi or uber! :sharebeer

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Wed May 22, 2019 6:17 am

dodecahedron wrote:
ronno2018 wrote:

I know people who walk to the San Diego airport since it's right downtown. Easiest to walk to the rental car center and catch one of the shuttles to the terminal. I can think of many smaller regional airports around the country that are easy walking/biking distance from residential neighborhoods as well.

Lindyhopper

Post by Lindyhopper » Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 am

I renewed Global Entry using credit cards that paid for it. Although they can choose to re-interview you, we were extended with no hassle.
It is well worth the extra $15 over plain pre check - it gets you a different immigration line and a shorter customs line.

McDougal

Post by McDougal » Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 am

dodecahedron wrote:
ronno2018 wrote:

I walk to my daughter's apt in Jackson Heights from LGA. But I cheat, I take the shuttle to the National car rental place and walk from there. About 45 minutes door to door. Have you tried getting a cab out of LGA lately!

ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:40 am

McDougal wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 am
dodecahedron wrote:
ronno2018 wrote:

I walk to my daughter's apt in Jackson Heights from LGA. But I cheat, I take the shuttle to the National car rental place and walk from there. About 45 minutes door to door. Have you tried getting a cab out of LGA lately!
I like your thinking! I should check out where else sneaking on a rental shuttle would give me a free transfer. I always find it annoying when you cannot walk to and from an airport easily. In Irvine I had to jump over the wall of a parking garage to walk to my hotel. Hopefully it is better there now.

ag1

Post by ag1 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 pm

You should apply early. These days it may take several monthsFor renewals.

willygreen

Post by willygreen » Fri May 24, 2019 12:51 pm

ag1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 pm
You should apply early. These days it may take several monthsFor renewals.
Mine expired last month, I decided to apply for Global Entry instead. Have been waiting three months now for an update on my application. On their website they are blaming delays on the government shutdown.