Expensive front load washer/dryer worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bwlonge

Expensive front load washer/dryer worth it?

Post by Bwlonge » Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 am

There are some crazy expensive washer/dryers out there. Do you find the extra cost is worth the bells and whistles? Do these machines return on investment in any ways, whether water usage, clothes preservation, or making the clothes feel especially nice? Or is a $200 craigslist Amana set going to be 90% as good?

renue74

Re: Expensive front load washer/dryer worth it?

Post by renue74 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:48 am

We've owned front load washer and dryers for about 10 years. I don't think we've noticed significant anything from them. Occasionally, my wife will complain about the washer not washing the clothes good enough and she'll do a double wash.

The Samsung front load dryer....I've taken it apart at least 5 different times and have replaced sensors and heating elements. I could probably do it in my sleep. Sensors for the whole think only cost about $20. I'm waiting for the control board to go out on it...and when it does, I'll never buy another Samsung appliance.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 am

Bwlonge wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 am
There are some crazy expensive washer/dryers out there. Do you find the extra cost is worth the bells and whistles? Do these machines return on investment in any ways, whether water usage, clothes preservation, or making the clothes feel especially nice? Or is a $200 craigslist Amana set going to be 90% as good?
Do you find the extra cost is worth the bells and whistles? Do these machines return on investment in any ways, whether water usage, clothes preservation, or making the clothes feel especially nice?'
no and no - we found the moderately priced top load machines to be cheaper initially, lower maintenance and clean better.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 am

No. New washers and dryers are junk.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 am

As someone who used to design front load washers and dryers for a living, no I don't find them worth it. They are worth it to laundromat and hotel owners where water consumption and cost of cleaning agents are a significant part of the cost of cleaning clothes and bedding. To the average homeowner, this isn't a very significant part of their budget.

Also, front load washers are much harder on clothes than most modern upright washers without the center agitation post. To reduce the water usage as much as possible, the clothes friction as they pass by one another is utilized to "scrub" the organic materials off. This essentially wears out clothing much faster than say in a full upright tub of water being swished back and forth. We used to do tests in our washers and dryers which comprised of tossing full loads of clothes in them and either washing them or drying them continuously until nothing was left. It doesn't take as long as you might think, especially the drying part.

I had a pair of Maytag uprights that I finally replaced after 20+ years of flawless use. I replaced them five years ago with another pair of base model Maytag uprights. They too have been working flawlessly. I couldn't be happier.

daheld

Post by daheld » Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 am
As someone who used to design front load washers and dryers for a living, no I don't find them worth it. They are worth it to laundromat and hotel owners where water consumption and cost of cleaning agents are a significant part of the cost of cleaning clothes and bedding. To the average homeowner, this isn't a very significant part of their budget.

Also, front load washers are much harder on clothes than most modern upright washers without the center agitation post. To reduce the water usage as much as possible, the clothes friction as they pass by one another is utilized to "scrub" the organic materials off. This essentially wears out clothing much faster than say in a full upright tub of water being swished back and forth. We used to do tests in our washers and dryers which comprised of tossing full loads of clothes in them and either washing them or drying them continuously until nothing was left. It doesn't take as long as you might think, especially the drying part.

I had a pair of Maytag uprights that I finally replaced after 20+ years of flawless use. I replaced them five years ago with another pair of base model Maytag uprights. They too have been working flawlessly. I couldn't be happier.
I'm always fascinated by your actual experience with this when the topic of washers and dryers comes up. We've got two washer/dryer sets of 25 or so year old machines. The ones we're using have been in use by us for the last 5 years or so, and except for having to replace one water inlet valve, they've worked flawlessly. I don't plan on ever buying newer energy/water efficient machines with bells and whistles.

Topic Author
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

Interesting. Classic case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should", which is too bad, because the new machines are at least much more aesthetically pleasing,

Lou354

Post by Lou354 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am

I like my front loading washing machine. Top loaders would become unbalanced during spin cycle and make a terrible racket and/or march across the floor. The front loader doesn’t. You do need to leave the door open between uses so it dries out, otherwise mildew will grow.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am

We had a set of Maytag top loaders for 20 years. Both finally had enough issues to replace.

Went to a front loading Maytag Maxima set. Overall I really like the front loaders.

You use much less water, the HE detergent goes a long way. Don't need much. The wash cycle is longer, the dry cycle is shorter (from top loaders), about 38 minutes each. This is nice because when you are ready to fold, the washer is done. I am more efficient. :wink:

The old set washed in 20 minutes and dried in 60 minutes. The spin cycle really spins on the front load washer. This means the dry cycle is shorter.

There are other quirks with a front loader. We leave the washer door open and let the gasket air dry. To prevent mold/moldy smell from the gasket. Not a big deal.

The front load capacity is waaaay bigger than the top loader. With 3 kids, that means far less loads. If you are single or just a couple, that might not be as big of a selling feature.

If we get 20 years from the front loader I will be satisfied and they will exceed the top loader in usability.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue May 21, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 am

daheld wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 am
lthenderson wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 am

I'm always fascinated by your actual experience with this when the topic of washers and dryers comes up. We've got two washer/dryer sets of 25 or so year old machines. The ones we're using have been in use by us for the last 5 years or so, and except for having to replace one water inlet valve, they've worked flawlessly. I don't plan on ever buying newer energy/water efficient machines with bells and whistles.
The company I worked for built more commercialized front end machines that were geared towards business owners more so than consumer homes but the principles were the same. They were very robust machines and we often pulled some out of old businesses that were remodeling, that were 25+ years old. Because they were built so well, I would have put them in my home except for two things. Cost. A small front load washer probably costs 8 or 10 times that of a pretty expensive consumer grade front load washer costs these days. They were gravity drain and had to be hard mounted to concrete. In my houses, that meant the basement, some sort of tank to hold the discharge and a pump to get it into the gray water system. It was much easier to stick to consumer grade machines and go with the flow, no pun intended.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 am

Lou354 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am
I like my front loading washing machine. Top loaders would become unbalanced during spin cycle and make a terrible racket and/or march across the floor. The front loader doesn’t. You do need to leave the door open between uses so it dries out, otherwise mildew will grow.
Modern uprights now have rebalancing capabilities just like front load do so it isn't so much an issue anymore. But I do remember those old uprights in my college days when we use to toss in one shoe and have races to see which one reached the end of its hose length first.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 am

Bwlonge wrote:
The only thing I care about is a plastic or stainless steel interior drum (usually plastic since it is cheaper). I buy used models on craigslist/facebook, but I refuse to buy white steel drums because I started getting rust damage. Basically the rust stains will ruin all your clothes with no warning. Other than that, cheapest piece of junk I can get: front load, top load, I have owned both and don't see much difference. The fewer options/features the better in my opinion (less to fail). Water is cheap where I am (basically free) so that is not a concern.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 am

No. When we purchased our home, we splurged a bit and got a mid-high end washer and dryer pair. It had all the bells and whistles. Very soon we realized that features like steam refresh or wrinkle care for the dryer doesn't work. If anything, it made my shirt so wet I couldn't wear it unless I put it through a dryer cycle. My FIL recently bought a decked out Samsung washer and we couldn't get it to start. Turns out there was a circuit issue with the onboard computer.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 am

Does anyone have any experience with condensing/ventless dryers? How well they dry, and how long clothes last?

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am

Check out Speed Queens
https://www.speedqueen.com/

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am

I'd be interested in one that holds and controls the detergent automatically. Anyone have experience with one of those?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

We use top loaders and will do everything we can to not switch to these ridiculous front load machines. If one does the math on "cost savings" by using less water, and really takes into account the true cost (including electricity cost to spin a washer for much longer), I can't imagine it pays off ever. We have a gas dryer with minimal electric cost, and gas is cheap.

As far as how they look, I could care less how the machines in our laundry look. It's a laundry room. I'll agree to matching colors, otherwise DW and I are going to the mats... :D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue May 21, 2019 11:08 am

Lou354 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am
The new top loaders have balancing cycles so they do not make much vibration or racket. The front loaders will eventually eat a bearing or a few sensors that are not problems with top loaders.
Unless the unit is a commercial grade they take a lot of maintenance and parts in our experience.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:11 am

Here on the Gulf Coast I know some people have issues with fighting the tendency of the front load washer to mildew, because by nature of the design the door closes with a tight seal, trapping moisture. Simple solution is to leave the door open, but thats nto very attractive is it?

FWIW I still have old Kenmore top loading set from 1992. Dread when they go out, although I understand the newest machines do better than those first Energy Star ones that often required washing twice to get anything clean.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue May 21, 2019 11:34 am

Timely thread! Both my washer and dryer are acting up, with the Memorial Day weekend usually comes a sale on "durable" goods.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue May 21, 2019 1:13 pm

The biggest improvement when I switched to my mid range front loader was the ability to get out stains. There is a cycle that starts out cold and slowly heats to desired temperature. It also essentially adds soaking times periodically throughout the cycle. I have saved many items that previously would have been permanently stained or needed a whole lot of personal attention to get clean. At the time I purchased, the front loaders with these custom features were cheaper than the top loaders that had built in heaters and customizable cycles.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Tue May 21, 2019 1:21 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:11 am
Here on the Gulf Coast I know some people have issues with fighting the tendency of the front load washer to mildew, because by nature of the design the door closes with a tight seal, trapping moisture. Simple solution is to leave the door open, but thats nto very attractive is it?
Yep, we got a front loader when we moved into our house 10 years ago (this is in Northern Virginia - far from the Gulf Coast but still very humid). It never smelled right, and it took us awhile to realize there was black mold and mildew on the underside of the seal. We cleaned it and left the washer door open for hours every day, but the mold/mildew always came back. We finally replaced it with a top loader, which has had no problems.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:28 pm

teamDE wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am
Check out Speed Queens
Speed Queen did a complete redesign of their consumer products in 2017 and the reviews say: “crap”.

I had been paying attention to washer/dryers for the last 4 years because I am a nerd with time on my hands. Speed Queen front loader was at the top of my list; until...
Our front-loader Kenmore (which we liked), made by LG, died after 7 years. Control board. The local authorized LG repair company said: “don’t fix, but a new one.”

We bought a new set. Miele. Made in Deutschland.
1. Compact size is perfect as the laundry expert (aka, wife) has always done small loads because of her separation criteria.
2. High rpm spin speed of 1500 means significant water removal.
3. TwinDos built-in automated detergent (European version of Persil) and oxygen bleach dispensers are very convenient. Precise amounts lead to very clean cloths.
4. The dryer is a ventless, condensing heat pump. Works well and no vent.
5. We have been very happy with our other Miele appliances.

I am impressed and satisfied with spending $4700 USD including excellent delivery, installation. Also includes sales tax.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 pm

We just got back from a month in a country where clothes are slapped and scrubbed on a rock. Any washing machine is a easier on the clothes than that.

We have a mid range LG front loader that we got from Costco. It is really very nice, better than the expensive Miele that was in our last house when we moved in (which had a tendency to walk, and needed multiple repairs). It looks nice and gets clothes clean without any fuss or any fancy features. I wish all of our appliances worked that well.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm

unstartable wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 am
Does anyone have any experience with condensing/ventless dryers? How well they dry, and how long clothes last?
We had one of those when we lived in Europe. The one we had took forever to dry.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue May 21, 2019 3:20 pm

For me it was worth replacing an ancient top loader and dryer with a new front loader washer/dryer set when the old ones wore out. Not necessarily from a financial perspective, but for lifestyle/convenience reasons.

I stacked the washer/dryer, opening up a lot of space in my cramped laundry area, making laundry chores easier. The front load washer uses significantly less water, putting less strain on my septic tank. The front load washer has a sanitize setting I use for bed linens, which come out cleaner than they did in the ancient top loader. The new washer has a larger capacity than the old one, allowing me to wash large comforters and larger loads (not necessarily specific to front vs top loading). The front load washer is much quieter than the old top loader.

Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am

We didn't think so.

Unless you're building a new house, you only have so many options for your washer/dryer size, and how you configure. Sure you could remodel your laundry room or basement, but you probably wouldn't.

So we knew the size we had to work with, that stacking the washer and dryer wasn't an option, and that this worked for our anticipated volume. If we had 14 kids and regularly hosted traveling soccer teams, we would have to make changes that support this lifestyle.

We ended up going with a front loader. First off, there are more front loaders for sale, it seemed to us, and that's where we got the best price. Secondly, these use less water, reducing the load on the septic system -- this was a big factor in our decision. It cleans clothes well, and isn't all that loud. Clothes come out much drier. Long sleeved shirts tend to get all tangled, but once untangled, they don't come out of the dryer any more wrinkled, and don't seem unduly worn. We leave the washer door open a crack at all times, and have no experienced no problems with mold or unpleasant odors. I believe that clothes come out cleaner than with the top loader we replaced -- which belonged to the previous owners, and may have a lot to do with the machine's age.

I'm not sure what kind of bells and whistles I would use. I use the temperature and spin settings, but that's it.

As others have noticed, appliances go on sale around the holidays -- Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. It's worth doing a little investigation if any retailers near you have a price match guarantee, and who ships for free and who charges.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am

Alf 101 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 am
We didn't think so.

Unless you're building a new house, you only have so many options for your washer/dryer size, and how you configure. Sure you could remodel your laundry room or basement, but you probably wouldn't.

So we knew the size we had to work with, that stacking the washer and dryer wasn't an option, and that this worked for our anticipated volume. If we had 14 kids and regularly hosted traveling soccer teams, we would have to make changes that support this lifestyle.

We ended up going with a front loader. First off, there are more front loaders for sale, it seemed to us, and that's where we got the best price. Secondly, these use less water, reducing the load on the septic system -- this was a big factor in our decision. It cleans clothes well, and isn't all that loud. Clothes come out much drier. Long sleeved shirts tend to get all tangled, but once untangled, they don't come out of the dryer any more wrinkled, and don't seem unduly worn. We leave the washer door open a crack at all times, and have no experienced no problems with mold or unpleasant odors. I believe that clothes come out cleaner than with the top loader we replaced -- which belonged to the previous owners, and may have a lot to do with the machine's age.

I'm not sure what kind of bells and whistles I would use. I use the temperature and spin settings, but that's it.

As others have noticed, appliances go on sale around the holidays -- Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. It's worth doing a little investigation if any retailers near you have a price match guarantee, and who ships for free and who charges.
"Secondly, these use less water, reducing the load on the septic system -- this was a big factor in our decision. It cleans clothes well, and isn't all that loud. Clothes come out much drier. Long sleeved shirts tend to get all tangled, but once untangled, they don't come out of the dryer any more wrinkled, and don't seem unduly worn"

FWIW - the newer top loaders have balancing systems so no vibration or noise, they can use low or high water as directed by user, they have different agitators that clean more effectively and they dry really well. They are not as expensive and you can leave the doors fully open in a closet or washroom without taking up door space or leaving bi-folds open.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 pm

This is Bogleheads. We're going to be opposed to anything that involves a front-end load.
Stay on target...

LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** » Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 pm

I got a nice front load LG washer and dryer. The only thing I don't like is the ridiculously expensive pedestal which I didn't get so moving the laundry can be a pain on your back.

strafe

Post by strafe » Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Bwlonge wrote:
No. We recently bought a mid-range washer recommended on wirecutter for about $900 delivered. It works great. No way that a $2k washer could be twice as good.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed May 22, 2019 2:37 pm

-buzz- wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
unstartable wrote:
We had one of those when we lived in Europe. The one we had took forever to dry.
The one I have seems to take an estimated 1.5x the time of a full venting dryer, but I'm sure this varies.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 pm

No modern appliances are of appallingly bad quality. They have very delicate cheap plastic parts, circuit boards with sub-par soldering, overengineered... In my last house I had a 30 year old Kenmore and my current house >10 year old Maytags. I'll fix them via youtube video if I can or pay to have them repaired if I must before I fork over for modern disposable crap.

As for water usage I run one sometimes 2 large loads a week and my monthly water usage is ~1500 gal. Not a big factor.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm

I hate my high-end front loading washer (Whirlpool's 2nd highest model--didn't want liquid detergent dispenser on the top model) and can't wait for it to die. Unfortunately it's less than 4 years old, so it'll probably be a while. Has been repaired several times already though.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 pm

unstartable wrote:
Ours did not dry well at all - very long and a light load.
It was not a full size "splendide' was the model.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 pm

We have LG front loaders, they’re work fine. Are they worth it? Not really sure. They work better for washing large bulky items like comforters compared to my parents’ top loader, but that could be related to their specific model rather than top vs front load. They always bring their blankets to my house to wash.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Wed May 22, 2019 5:09 pm

We had Bosch front load machines in one place that fit under the counter. They were too small to be of any real use, but cleaned well. We replaced with top of the line full-sized Electrolux machines with all the bells and whistles. We had to get Electrolux because we needed reversible doors on both washer and dryer. We don't really use the steam feature on washer or dryer much, but they do clean really well and hold tons. Smart settings allow for easy programming, or everything can be customized.

At another place, we have an older Maytag Neptune top load HE washer and a front load dryer. They are on a built-on pedestal. The washer does a good job, but is prone to getting out of balance and going for a walk. One time, it walked itself over the edge of the pedestal and tipped partly over, spilling much water on the floor. Also, the lid bumps into the cabinet above (poor design-not ours, and the cabinets really have to be there). Thinking we might replace them this year with the Electrolux.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed May 22, 2019 7:13 pm

strafe wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm
Bwlonge wrote:
No. We recently bought a mid-range washer recommended on wirecutter for about $900 delivered. It works great. No way that a $2k washer could be twice as good.
The last washer we bought was about 3 weeks ago - GE top loader - about $550.
We now have 4 sets of these tope loaders in various places and no problems.
YMMV

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:22 pm

LesBleus** wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 pm
I got a nice front load LG washer and dryer. The only thing I don't like is the ridiculously expensive pedestal which I didn't get so moving the laundry can be a pain on your back.
Our LG washer & dryer from Costco came with pedestals we couldn't use, as we were stacking them. We sold the pedestals to a stranger for $200.

Even if we'd received $0 for the pedestals, the washer & dryer would have been about $300 cheaper than local appliance stores, and we got Costco's free extended warranty and great installers.

We love the LGs, and after 3 or 4 years are delighted we got rid of our old Maytag set that was much smaller, slower, used a lot more water, and was rougher on clothes.

Marylander1
Last edited by Marylander1 on Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Instead of the premium price the front load units we used the money to buy higher capacity units from Maytag. Sticker says made in USA and we can wash any blanket or comforter. Very happy.

see it here from Lowes

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:25 pm

unstartable wrote:
I had several terrible experiences during work trips to Europe. Over several trips that cumulatively added up to multiple months, using combo washing machine + ventless driers in one, I came to loathe them.

I think the usual cycle was about 4-5 hours for both processes combined. Washing was fine. My clothes got fairly dirty with the work I was doing, and it got them clean, but the long cycles were inconvenient.

Drying was infuriating. I learned to stop the cycle while there was still probably an hour left (which for the hours I was working, meant staying up late), and hanging my clothes anywhere I could to finish air drying. Otherwise, it would severely overheat them. All of my clothes ended up shrunk by occasionally eye-popping proportions, and sometimes even came out faintly burnt smelling.

Maybe some work better than others, but it will take an extensive body of positive trustworthy reviews to get me to ever try one again.
dsmclone wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 am
I'd be interested in one that holds and controls the detergent automatically. Anyone have experience with one of those?
I'm also curious.

This should not be a difficult feature to implement reliably to properly dose in proportion to the water level, which the washer controls, and the wash level setting, which the user selects.

I'm unsure why not many models offer it.

Ykcor

Post by Ykcor » Wed May 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Front load washer...avoid. They 1) leak and 2) the gasket stinks.

Poodlefan

Post by Poodlefan » Wed May 22, 2019 9:00 pm

We bought a house with them. They are touchy and expensive to repair. My repairman says buy a Speedqueen washer and forget ever having to fix it. The machines are bigger than the one I had in my apartment, but I don't believe they do a noticeably better job factoring for that.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed May 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Bwlonge wrote:
Bought my last washer and dryer (Maytag 80's) from Facebook market place for $50. Put a new belt and roller wheels on the dryer and they run like new (in our basement rental)! Wish I could say the same about our "new" washer and dryer on the second floor...

cholan

Post by cholan » Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Post by JupiterJones » Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 pm

This is Bogleheads. We're going to be opposed to anything that involves a front-end load.

haha!
...leaving not a rack behind.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am

My old Maytag washer was manufactured in 1981. We think that my Kenmore Dryer was manufactured in 1979 as dating of these appliances was required until 1980. No repairs in the last six years and they do a great job of cleaning. We do not use the dryer much as the Arizona sun generally dries clothes in 2-3 hours.

The last guy to tell me that I was crazy holding on to my appliances was on his 4th front loader since 2000.

For the record, I have worked in the appliance manufacturing industry and would not like to buy the new product.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu May 23, 2019 12:01 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm
I hate my high-end front loading washer (Whirlpool's 2nd highest model--didn't want liquid detergent dispenser on the top model) and can't wait for it to die. Unfortunately it's less than 4 years old, so it'll probably be a while. Has been repaired several times already though.
Based on my experience it will probably die soon.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:29 am
My old Maytag washer was manufactured in 1981. We think that my Kenmore Dryer was manufactured in 1979 as dating of these appliances was required until 1980. No repairs in the last six years and they do a great job of cleaning. We do not use the dryer much as the Arizona sun generally dries clothes in 2-3 hours.

The last guy to tell me that I was crazy holding on to my appliances was on his 4th front loader since 2000.

For the record, I have worked in the appliance manufacturing industry and would not like to buy the new product.
We're using a Maytag set that's about 25 years old with zero plans of buying newer models. Just not worth the money, and as you say they just don't last.

When I was in college, I moved out of my parents house and into a house with two friends for my senior year. We were trying to scrounge up any used furniture or appliances we could. Some folks at my parents church offered us their washing machine. They got it when they were married, sometime in the 1960's. We took ownership of it in about 2007. The thing was an absolute champ and worked flawlessly. The only issue was that it was so heavy it almost took off the bedside of my buddy's truck while sliding around during transport, and getting it down the stairs without killing someone proved to be a tall task.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Thu May 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Bwlonge wrote:
Do these machines return on investment in any ways, whether water usage, clothes preservation, or making the clothes feel especially nice?
I've enjoyed my front-loader for almost two decades: Maytag Neptune (no longer manufactured). I really like it, and can't imagine going back to a top loader.

My Neptune has needed repair only once, a motherboard problem a couple of years ago, and that bill was $104. That new appliances endure way less than old appliances is a systemic rather than stylistic issue.

Front-loader Pros:
* Doesn't beat up fabrics, so clothes seemingly last forever, without any fraying or much pilling
* Exceptional job with delicates that would otherwise require hand laundering or dry cleaning
• Accommodates large items, like blankets
• Handles very large loads and very small loads equally well
• It figures out water level required, and uses less water generally
• Does a fine job a cleaning clothes, even seriously soiled, with minimal amounts of soaps or detergents
• Relatively quiet, and floor doesn't vibrate
* Very easy on the back and arms and eyes to go from washer to dryer with a simple toss, without having to dig deep to fetch wet clothes.

Front-loader Cons:
• Front loader door needs to remain open after each use until it dries out (to avoid odor and mold issues)
• If you love to shop, you'll seldom be needing new underwear, etc.

imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 pm

We had a front load washer in the laundry room on the 2nd floor. The whole house shook on the spin cycle. It can damage the floor structure over the long run.
If you want a front load washer, please put it in basement on sturdy concrete flooring.