Wiper blade replacement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Wiper blade replacement

Post by dm200 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am

I seem to recall that, at one time, you could just replace the rubber part of the wiper blade (low cost), but now (as I replaced the driver side one yesterday) - you can only get the replacement of the whole blade assembly.

Have things changed, or did I just make the wrong (and more expensive) choice?

fortfun

Re: Wiper blade replacement

Post by fortfun » Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 am

dm200 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am
I seem to recall that, at one time, you could just replace the rubber part of the wiper blade (low cost), but now (as I replaced the driver side one yesterday) - you can only get the replacement of the whole blade assembly.

I think things have changed :(

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am

You can still get the rubber refills. I recommend rockauto.com or ebay.

You have to have the whippletree-style wipers that look like this. You can buy these in many places if you look. https://i.imgur.com/YhF1oQ1.jpg
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

LinusP

Post by LinusP » Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 am

It seems that many auto parts places have stopped stocking the rubber-only parts. When I asked about this at my local AutoZone, they said it was too much trouble to help people find the right part. Personally, I think they make more money by selling the entire blade assembly.

I have a Subaru, and had several Hondas before that. In both cases, I could buy the rubber-only replacements from a dealer. Never had any problem as long as the blades were proper OEM parts.

ajr22

Post by ajr22 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 am

It depends. I was able to replace just the insert on my 16 Camry, but the only place I could get the inserts was the dealer.

I have a feeling once you swap the OEM wiper out, you will not be able to put in a new insert....

LongRoad

Post by LongRoad » Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am

They exist, but I haven't seen them recently in the big box stores.

As an example, Amazon might have what I think you're looking for:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wiper+blade+refill

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am

On my "list" of things I will decree, when I run the world is very standardized (and limited number) of wiper blades on vehicles, as well as just being able to replace the rubber part.

:sharebeer :sharebeer

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Mon May 20, 2019 12:00 pm

After years and years of buying replacement inserts I finally caved and moved to a one piece beam blade. Most car manufactures are moving to this anyway. Nissan was the latest one I experienced. I now just order Bosh Icon blades (the best) from Amazon for all our cars.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm

I will add - I asked a question on BH forums a few years back about whether pricier 'premium' wiper blades were better than cheap ones that cost less than half the amount. Nobody seemed to have an opinion on it, so I went cheap on Amazon.

That blade totally, utterly sucked. If anything, it was WORSE than my old blade, with lots of streaking despite being brand new.

Fed up, I bought the 'BOSCH' brand blades for my Prius. They were over $45 each, so well over double the el-cheapos.

They've been totally awesome. I think I'm going 2+ yrs now with no problems, minimal streaking, and high durability with esseentially no nicks in the rubber than cause streaking. I'm never going cheap again on the blades. (And I don't even live in a rainy area.)

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm
I will add - I asked a question on BH forums a few years back about whether pricier 'premium' wiper blades were better than cheap ones that cost less than half the amount. Nobody seemed to have an opinion on it, so I went cheap on Amazon.

That blade totally, utterly sucked. If anything, it was WORSE than my old blade, with lots of streaking despite being brand new.

Fed up, I bought the 'BOSCH' brand blades for my Prius. They were over $45 each, so well over double the el-cheapos.

They've been totally awesome. I think I'm going 2+ yrs now with no problems, minimal streaking, and high durability with esseentially no nicks in the rubber than cause streaking. I'm never going cheap again on the blades. (And I don't even live in a rainy area.)
Thanks for the experience.

I paid about $21.00 for one blade replacement. We shall see.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Just went through this myself. In the end, the inserts I found were nearly as expensive as replacing the entire thing. Because I was never really thrilled with the performance of the OEM ones that I had, I bought entire replacement assemblies but will keep the OEM ones in case I ever change my mind and want to go back.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:04 pm

+1

I bought the most expensive bosch blades and have been happy with their performance and durability. Especially here in michigan, where we get lots of weather variety. Cheaper blades get destroyed quickly by all the ice.

teniralc

Post by teniralc » Mon May 20, 2019 1:40 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am

I always go to the dealer to get this done on our Honda vehicles. Here is the type of part they put in:
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-76 ... ive&sr=1-1

I had two inserts replaced the other day. It cost about $18, total, for both inserts. They did it while I waited.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm

I am assuming responders are differentiating between rubber refills that slide into the blade, blades that attach to the wiper arm and include the rubber refill, and the wiper arm that mounts on the wiper motor fitting and includes the blade and rubber refill. Anyone care to respond and share their thoughts? I have my wipers (two front and one rear) replaced once a year as part of my annual oil/filter change and pay on average $10 per unit. I think they get it from Toyota for my 2010 Toyota Venza. I am assuming it is the blade assembly that hooks onto the wiper arm that is being replaced as a unit.
Tom D.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Tue May 21, 2019 2:17 pm

I have been using PIAA Super Silicone blades and have been happy with them. They last a long time.

You have to buy the wiper blade (frame) the first time you switch. After that you can buy just the refills.

banhbao

Post by banhbao » Tue May 21, 2019 3:54 pm

mpnret wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:00 pm
After years and years of buying replacement inserts I finally caved and moved to a one piece beam blade. Most car manufactures are moving to this anyway. Nissan was the latest one I experienced. I now just order Bosh Icon blades (the best) from Amazon for all our cars.
+1 for Bosch Icon Blades. I got a set for $37 from amazon.com and I will never go back to the traditional style. The beam-style blades are just really superior in the rain.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue May 21, 2019 4:01 pm

mpnret wrote:
+2
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm

I am on the Gulf Coast ans seem to have the opposite experience with wiper blades, possibly the issue here with the heat.
I would usually get one step down from the most expensive.

I would swear that they have traded improved [initial] wiping performance for less durability/longevity. I get the stiff chattering before I get much in the way of streaking.

Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire » Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 pm

I have been replacing my wiper blades with beam style Anco Contour blades. They are typically $7-9 each plus shipping at RockAuto.com. I think they work very well and are easy to change.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/anco, ... blade,8852

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Costco sells Michelin Guardian blades for $8.99. I live somewhere where it never rains, but they work fine for getting the washer fluid off the windshield.

graeme

Post by graeme » Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 pm

My mechanic commented that people keep throwing away expensive wipers on their car. Refills for the wipers on my Lexus are $8 each at the dealer and seem to last more than two years in the midwest.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 am

Rdytoretire wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 pm
I have been replacing my wiper blades with beam style Anco Contour blades. They are typically $7-9 each plus shipping at RockAuto.com. I think they work very well and are easy to change.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/anco, ... blade,8852
Yeah, those are the blades I used that honestly, totally suck, in my opinion. My brand new ANCOs actually worked WORSE than my 6-year old ones that came with my car that I was trying to replace. It was ridiculous!

Keep in mind for me, it wasn't that I couldn't drive safely - I def COULD drive safely with the ANCOs, but the leftover water and fragility of the blades with any debris (nicks in the blade) was just not acceptable to me after seeing what a 'good' blade should look like.

The (much) pricier Bosch ones I switched to are better in every regard. It's actually one of the clear instances where I say you get your money's worth - the Bosch blades continue to wipe the windshields beautifully, no streaking, no haze - like a new blade is supposed to. Mine show no signs of deterioration in function 2+ years out.

I'd def recommend skipping the ANCOs and other cheap ones and just getting the good ones, first.

Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire » Wed May 22, 2019 3:18 pm

I have used the ANCO Contour blades for years, on all my cars and they work great. No issues what-so-ever.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm

LinusP wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 am
It seems that many auto parts places have stopped stocking the rubber-only parts. When I asked about this at my local AutoZone, they said it was too much trouble to help people find the right part. Personally, I think they make more money by selling the entire blade assembly.

I have a Subaru, and had several Hondas before that. In both cases, I could buy the rubber-only replacements from a dealer. Never had any problem as long as the blades were proper OEM parts.
I used to buy the Subaru inserts from the dealer but the last time I tried they said they discontinued the inserts. It is for a 2010 Forester but they implied they stopped for all models. When did you last buy them?

LinusP

Post by LinusP » Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm
LinusP wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:50 am
I used to buy the Subaru inserts from the dealer but the last time I tried they said they discontinued the inserts. It is for a 2010 Forester but they implied they stopped for all models. When did you last buy them?
It's been quite some time - maybe 5 years? Sorry to hear those parts are getting harder to come by.

Afty

Post by Afty » Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 am

Another vote for Bosch Icon. I’ve had good experiences with them, and they are also the top recommendation from the Wirecutter: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... -your-car/

toblerone

Post by toblerone » Thu May 23, 2019 2:17 am

And yet another vote for the Bosch Icon. They are superior in every way.
Wipers are an important part of your car, up there with tires and brakes, don't cheap out.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Thu May 23, 2019 9:20 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm
Costco sells Michelin Guardian blades for $8.99. I live somewhere where it never rains, but they work fine for getting the washer fluid off the windshield.
These are what I just put on both of our cars. They work great when new and it seems any wiper blade will get torn up in the snow/ice that we get so no reason to spend any more.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 am

Another vote for Bosch echoing what my fellow Michigander said about effectively clearing rain/snow/ice. Good blades can work well for about two years in my use case. Cheap blades get 1 mediocre year.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:01 pm
mpnret wrote:
+2
+3

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 am

I buy the one piece Goodyear or Michelin wipers from Costco. They are much cheaper than anywhere else I found, and work well. Sometimes Costco has a sale on them where it's $7 for a pair. I've been happy with them.