Milorganite, Purely Organic or Ringer Lawn Restore?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sil2017

Milorganite, Purely Organic or Ringer Lawn Restore?

Post by sil2017 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am

I live In Los Angeles Area along the coast. I cannot decide which of the above organic fertilizer for my lawn. I don't care about the cost but am looking for one that would be safe for my 2 dachshunds . I have seen many YouTube on Milorganite but am concern that my dogs may want to eat it due to the smell.

Milorganite N-P-K. 6-4-0
Purely Organic 10-0-2
Ringer Lawn Restore 9-0-2

Has anyone used or know about the above products?

Which would be best for my dogs?

Purely organic and ringer do not have Phosphate. Milorganite does not have Potassium. Which is one I may not need?

PS. wanted to add that I have marathon 1, tall fescue
Last edited by sil2017 on Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

chisey

Re: Milorganite, Purely Organic or Ringer Lawn Restore?

Post by chisey » Mon May 20, 2019 11:33 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am
I live In Los Angeles Area along the coast. I cannot decide which of the above organic fertilizer for my lawn. I don't care about the cost but am looking for one that would be safe for my 2 dachshunds . I have seen many YouTube on Milorganite but am concern that my dogs may want to eat it due to the smell.

Milorganite N-P-K. 6-4-0
Purely Organic 10-0-2

Purely organic and ringer do not have Phosphate. Milorganite does not have Potassium. Which is one I may not need?
You'll get mixed opinions on the safety of Milorganite, but the data I've seen suggest it wouldn't be unsafe for pets. That was always my choice in a pinch, based mainly on price.

Most people don't need to add much in the way of P or K to their soil anyway. It's mostly the Nitrogen that gets depleted quickly. I'd recommend you get a soil test to see what the levels look like.

Also, if you're anywhere near a farm store or co-op, there are other good organic fertilizers-- soybean meal, alfalfa meal, and corn gluten meal to name a few. Your dogs might eat those too, but they definitely wouldn't be dangerous.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am

I use Milorganite regularly. While I've never seen my dogs eat it, they do like to roll around in it, which leaves them with a certain smell ... My preferred application method is to take the dogs outside one last time for the evening and then apply the fertilizer. The sprinklers run overnight/early in the morning and it's all watered in by the time the dogs need to go outside in the morning.

Topic Author
sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am

mw1739 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am
I use Milorganite regularly. While I've never seen my dogs eat it, they do like to roll around in it, which leaves them with a certain smell ... My preferred application method is to take the dogs outside one last time for the evening and then apply the fertilizer. The sprinklers run overnight/early in the morning and it's all watered in by the time the dogs need to go outside in the morning.
Once it is watered in, do your dogs like to roll on it?

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:53 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am
mw1739 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:40 am
Once it is watered in, do your dogs like to roll on it?
No sorry for the confusion. They only roll around in it if it's not watered in.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am

Milorganite N-P-K. 6-4-0
Purely Organic 10-0-2

PS. wanted to add that I have marathon 1, tall fescue
I used the MA equivalent (I can't remember the name, but it is cheaper and essentially is the same idea as Milorganite). My dog did not seem to roll into it after application. For reference, we have a lot of 'wild life' roaming in our parts, and she usually goes out of her way to roll in whatever disgusting thing she finds :-) I thought it was pretty safe, wife didn't want me to spend time outside on our massive lawn, so I stopped using it.