Good quality sneakers for someone with foot issues?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Good quality sneakers for someone with foot issues?

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun May 19, 2019 6:44 am

I have custom insoles to help me deal with some foot issues. I tend to roll my feet inward which causes major pain in my big toe joint. The insoles work, but only with a decent shoe. I'm looking for a versatile sneaker for everyday use. I don't run, but am active and lift weights.

TomatoTomahto

Re: Good quality sneakers for someone with foot issues?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 19, 2019 6:54 am

If you have wide feet, New Balance 1080v9. Probably good even if you don't have wide feet.

I’ve started wearing my Keen Detroit Low shoes every day and stopped wearing sneakers except at the gym. I use Protalus M100 insoles, actually prefer them to my custom orthotics.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

surfinagin

Post by surfinagin » Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 am

Our local running shoe store has knowledgeable salespeople who discuss any foot issues, and put you on a treadmill to observe your gait. Then they select appropriate shoes that you try on treadmill while they again observe.
Made a big difference for me -found very comfortable shoes. I'm not a runner.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:40 am

surfinagin wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 am
Our local running shoe store has knowledgeable salespeople who discuss any foot issues, and put you on a treadmill to observe your gait. Then they select appropriate shoes that you try on treadmill while they again observe.
I was going to suggest the same thing!

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Sun May 19, 2019 7:42 am

I listened to this podcast this morning. It may be of interest to you:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz4bd
Feet
The CompassChanging World, Changing Bodies Episode 1 of 3

For nearly two million years we evolved in close sync with our environment but 250 years ago the industrial revolution happened and changed everything. The innovation and technology it brought had many benefits but there was a physical cost as progress also designed out movement from our lives.

From spending hours on our feet outdoors, our jobs have moved indoors and largely involve sitting down for most of the day in offices, factories or driver cabs. It has resulted in feet that are getting flatter, backs that are weaker and eyes that cannot see very much without help.

Dr Vybarr Cregan-Reid hears from evolutionary biologists, academics, anatomists and public health professionals in Singapore, Kenya, Australia, the UK and the United States; about the impact of modern life on our physical self and what we can do to return our bodies to the state that nature intended.

The good news is there is no need to spend hours on treadmills or pumping iron, in fact we would injure ourselves a lot less if we were a bit more cautious when exercising. Our bodies are marvellously adaptable and reintroducing small movements into our daily lives in most cases will do the trick!

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 am

I use New Balance 806 tennis shoes in a 2e width. And put in Aetrex l420M inserts to cure my pronation.

multiham

Post by multiham » Sun May 19, 2019 9:25 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:40 am
surfinagin wrote:
Please do this or go see a professional. If you knew exactly what your issue is, you could use an on-line recommender (proper drop, support, etc). Without that, no one can help you on this site. It's like asking me what prescription you should get for your contacts/glasses without being tested. We know you need something, just not sure what it is.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 19, 2019 10:04 am

multiham wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:25 am
runner3081 wrote:
surfinagin wrote:
Please do this or go see a professional. If you knew exactly what your issue is, you could use an on-line recommender (proper drop, support, etc). Without that, no one can help you on this site. It's like asking me what prescription you should get for your contacts/glasses without being tested. We know you need something, just not sure what it is.
Presumably OP has already seen a professional if he has custom orthotics. Now, he needs a quality shoe/sneaker to put them in.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:11 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:44 am
I have custom insoles to help me deal with some foot issues. I tend to roll my feet inward which causes major pain in my big toe joint. The insoles work, but only with a decent shoe. I'm looking for a versatile sneaker for everyday use. I don't run, but am active and lift weights.
Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do but try different shoes and then when you find one that works well for you buy 5 or 10 pairs because they will be discontinued or "updated" in a way that makes them less suitable to you. A shoe that works well for your foot with your orthotics will only be known to you.

As for the advice about running shoe stores maybe some have had luck this way but our experience (my spouse and I) was that we got the most uncomfortable shoes we have ever owned by following the recommendations of a running store. We did better just buying "standard" New Balance shoes from Amazon. YMMV.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun May 19, 2019 10:14 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:11 am
FI4LIFE wrote:
Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do but try different shoes and then when you find one that works well for you buy 5 or 10 pairs because they will be discontinued or "updated" in a way that makes them less suitable to you. A shoe that works well for your foot with your orthotics will only be known to you.

As for the advice about running shoe stores maybe some have had luck this way but our experience (my spouse and I) was that we got the most uncomfortable shoes we have ever owned by following the recommendations of a running store. We did better just buying "standard" New Balance shoes from Amazon. YMMV.
You have to realize that the running store salesman is highly likely someone who has zero formal education in biomechanics. Their qualifications to make recommendations are probably limited to...making $15/hr working in a running store. They might be more knowledgeable than someone off the street, just from experience, but a podiatrist they are not.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:14 am
You have to realize that the running store salesman is highly likely someone who has zero formal education in biomechanics. Their qualifications to make recommendations are probably limited to...making $15/hr working in a running store. They might be more knowledgeable than someone off the street, just from experience, but a podiatrist they are not.
The store I went to seemed to have people with physical therapy degrees working as salespeople. I've gone to several podiatrists. All have been happy to sell orthotics but none have been willing to recommend a specific shoe to put them in. Answer always was "you have to try a few to find one that works". Maybe others have had different results?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 19, 2019 10:34 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am
stoptothink wrote:
The store I went to seemed to have people with physical therapy degrees working as salespeople. I've gone to several podiatrists. All have been happy to sell orthotics but none have been willing to recommend a specific shoe to put them in. Answer always was "you have to try a few to find one that works". Maybe others have had different results?
My podiatrist recommended Keens, because my toes feel cramped in normal shoes, but very wide shoes are just too wide. A quote: “Keens have a toe box to die for.”

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun May 19, 2019 10:42 am

Go to a New Balance store and look at shoes with a Roll Bar. NB makes about a dozen different sneaker types with this pronation aid included in the shoe. They fixed my aching feet after ortho guys could not.

Good Luck.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am

https://www.somfootwear.com These shoes are awesome. The owners are super nice and passionate about their shoes too. I wear mine for Crossfit, biking, walking, etc. Light weight and very comfortable for my flat feet.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:50 am

New balance has been great for me. I buy a version that has a high toe box and have graduated to a wider shoe. I also wear thick wool socks except for summer (3-4 months). My rapidly aging feet do well.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun May 19, 2019 10:53 am

stan1 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am
stoptothink wrote:
"Seemed to" or you know did? If there is someone with a PT degree, in most cases today that is a doctorate degree, selling shoes, that must be one really high-end running store.

multiham

Post by multiham » Sun May 19, 2019 11:10 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:04 am
multiham wrote:
runner3081 wrote:
surfinagin wrote:
Presumably OP has already seen a professional if he has custom orthotics. Now, he needs a quality shoe/sneaker to put them in.
Missed that part Now is should be easy. Either ask the professional for the specs of the shoes that work well or provide the information to the person at the running store. This way you can try on the right type of sneakers, try them on a tread mill (just walking), and have both your opinion on how they feel and the sales person's opinion on how you are walking.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am

Brooks Beast.

N, S, 2E, 4E widths available.

Pricey, but worth it.

Podiatrist and Othopedist recommended.
Very highly regarded.

Be sure to get the latest version (18), the previous had too narrow a front half.

Rarely discounted, and I need 14 4E, so I order directly from Brooks website.

Ragman

Post by Ragman » Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Brooks Dyad have worked well for me. Always on the lookout for something better.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sun May 19, 2019 12:33 pm

My wife, how has very flat feet and uses custom Podiatrist made orthotics has found that even though they are not sneakers, they serve basically the same function and provide excellent support and fit that is accomodating to the orthotics as well. I have moved to them for everything but the gym and am very happy, but I have "good" feet.

Merrell Moab 2 Vent
https://www.zappos.com/p/merrell-moab-2 ... /color/714

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun May 19, 2019 12:44 pm

I know your pain! New Balance 1540 or 857.
If you have good custom orthotics add 1/2 size to your size you think you wear.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Sun May 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:44 pm
When instructed to remove the shoe's existing insole, I have not found this to be true.
Trade the news and you will lose.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun May 19, 2019 5:25 pm

ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:07 pm
Housedoc wrote:
When instructed to remove the shoe's existing insole, I have not found this to be true.
The orthotics I have are full length as well as multi-layer. They would never fit with original insole and do in fact require a half size larger. They were made by doing foot castings and run about $280 without insurance claim.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Sun May 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:25 pm
ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:07 pm
Housedoc wrote:
The orthotics I have are full length as well as multi-layer. They would never fit with original insole and do in fact require a half size larger. They were made by doing foot castings and run about $280 without insurance claim.
It obviously depends. I did the foot casting thing as will. As I said, I was instructed to remove the original insole, which actually seems to be the normal procedure with the podiatrist I use for full length orthotics with arch and/or heel support. You apparently keep yours in the shoe. Thus one possible difference.
Trade the news and you will lose.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:37 pm

I have had very good luck with the New Balance 990 v4. 250lbs with wide feet and some pronation and arches that have sagged over the years. I think a v5 is out now, but you can still find v4s new at a reduced price (still over $100 though).
Have read about a lot of heavier people liking the Brooks Beast too.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun May 19, 2019 5:58 pm

I have hard-to-fit (13N) feet and had a go-around about 10 years ago with plantar fasciitis. I wore New Balance at the time but have since switched to Brooks since. I currently wear the Brooks Addiction 13 model along with insoles and have been very pleased with them.

Of course what works for me my very well not work for you. Every few years I go to Zappos online and order a number of different brands and models to see if anything feels better than my current shoe (Zappos does free shipping and free returns including return shipping). It's a great way to try many different brands and styles at no cost. I typically purchase my shoes from Zappos knowing that they are not the cheapest because I value the service.

Good luck finding your perfect shoe!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun May 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Great stuff everyone. Thanks. I think I will try Zappos and get a few of the pairs suggested.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 pm

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am
https://www.somfootwear.com These shoes are awesome. The owners are super nice and passionate about their shoes too. I wear mine for Crossfit, biking, walking, etc. Light weight and very comfortable for my flat feet.
Never heard of these before - I am tempted to try a pair.

Geezer-Rich

Post by Geezer-Rich » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 pm

phxjcc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am
Brooks Beast.

N, S, 2E, 4E widths available.

Pricey, but worth it.

Podiatrist and Othopedist recommended.
Very highly regarded.

Be sure to get the latest version (18), the previous had too narrow a front half.

Rarely discounted, and I need 14 4E, so I order directly from Brooks website.
Agree wholeheartedly. MY orthopedist recommended the same thing. For the same support in full leather, get Brooks Addiction Walker.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon May 20, 2019 7:45 am

I have a fairly wide foot and the Brooks Ghost 10 and 11 worked well for me. I do not run but usually walk around 3 miles per day. My walk is neutral. Different shoes are designed for people with different gaits, so there may be certain shoes that are better for you with your problem.

I was being treated by a podiatrist for an unrelated nail issue. He examined my shoe and said it was a very well built shoe. I thought that was a pretty good endorsement.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 am

Winston19 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 pm
ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am
Never heard of these before - I am tempted to try a pair.
You won't regret it. I have had my 1st pair for several years. I have worn the soles out. They said bring them by the shop and the will resole them for free. Can't beat that for customer service.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
New Balance USA. Find the shoe that is made for your foot problem. They have a chart.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

peseta

Post by peseta » Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 am

multiham wrote:
+1. There are great recommendations for shoes in this thread, but most of those recommended are only good for specific conditions. For example, the Brooks Beast was recommended. These shoes are awesome for an overpronator (flat feet). I've worn them and they helped relieve a painful condition (PTTD) related to my flat feet. But, if someone with high arches wore these shoes, it would be a disaster, because the shoes would be nudging the foot in exactly the wrong way needed for relief.

Also, you said you have custom insoles. These can interact with "corrective shoes" in unforeseen ways. If you put a pair of aggressive orthotics in, say, a pair of Brooks Beasts, it may overcorrect. A more neutral shoe may be in order.

I don't like recommending unnecessary medical care, but the best idea is to be working with a podiatrist and/or foot and ankle specialist (surgeon).

peseta

z91

Post by z91 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Go to a running store, they tend to have great folks there that know what they're talking about.

That said, I have a pair of Brooks which cost me $150+ as I have a high arch, and they are fantastic. I was able to get a second pair due to a short-lasting price mistake for half that.

JustCurious304

Post by JustCurious304 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:32 pm

I have flat feet and use custom-made orthotics in New Balance, 1540 shoes for going on walks. My local New Balance shoe store does not carry these, so I order them from Amazon at least once a year. Pricey but worth it. I can wear other models of New Balance and Vionic shoes when shopping, etc. which cost less. It takes awhile to determine what is best for your feet.

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:39 pm

New Balance 940

bagle

Post by bagle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 am

As a metatarsalgia sufferer, I´ve found this to be a good list of high quality shoes:

https://www.footankle.com/pdf/Shoe_Recommendations.pdf

Personally, for more stylish casual shoes, I find Ecco Soft 8´s with a high-quality orthotic insert (e.g. Powerstep Pinnacle) to be super comfortable.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am

Ragman wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 pm
Brooks Dyad have worked well for me. Always on the lookout for something better.
Brooks Beast if you pronate (feet/knees tilt inward when you walk/run)

Brooks Dyad if you supinate (feet/knees tilt outward when you walk/run)

Brooks GTS (Go To Shoe) has less support, but is still a supportive shoe. Not as heavy as the Beast or Dyad.

Most shoe lines have a supportive shoe and a really supportive shoe like the Beast.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based