Covering outdoor patio furniture

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Covering outdoor patio furniture

Post by davebo »

I've never had anything with cushions outside until recently. Do most people cover their outdoor furniture or store it in an outdoor shed/storage box? Or do you just leave it out 24/7?
researcher

Re: Covering outdoor patio furniture

Post by researcher »

davebo wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:14 pm I've never had anything with cushions outside until recently. Do most people cover their outdoor furniture or store it in an outdoor shed/storage box? Or do you just leave it out 24/7?
I keep my patio furniture covered when not in use and it doesn't even have cushions.

Unless you live in a place completely devoid of flora & fauna, I would cover it.

My yard has lots of trees and wildlife.
The furniture would be disgusting if left uncovered, given all of the leaves, helicopters, pollen, bird droppings, ect.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Cushions seem like too much trouble. My cushionless furniture stays uncovered all year and only occasionally needs the pollen wiped off. The wire screen type furniture doesn't get disgusting because water cant pool on it.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

But be careful, since if they are improperly covered and can't breathe mold will form on those covered cushions
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

barnaclebob wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:20 pm Cushions seem like too much trouble. My cushionless furniture stays uncovered all year and only occasionally needs the pollen wiped off. The wire screen type furniture doesn't get disgusting because water cant pool on it.
I used to have outdoor furniture with cushions and I eventually switched to the wire screen type for this exact reason. I was constantly moving cushions in and out of the house or storage bin on the deck. Now I take the cushion-less chairs and store them in the basement during the winter, but otherwise, they sit outside with minimal maintenance for about 8 months per year.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I have a couple of storage boxes that double as tables, and throw the cushions in them. Works out well.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I don't cover it except for winter. I should as the cushions absorb a lot of water during heavy rain and it can take quite a while for it to dry. Of course, you have the impact of the sun on them too. The thing is, I use it pretty much everyday in the summer (at least the sectional, the dining a few times a week) and pulling cushions in and out or uncovering is a big hassle. I accept that they probably won't last as long for the convenience factor.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

We move cushions into storage in the winter, and leave them on the furniture 24/7 during the warmer season. We don't cover the furniture, and occasionally hose it all off.

gasdoc
onourway

Post by onourway »

Here in the NE US we move all furniture indoors during the winter, then leave it uncovered during the summer. We don’t currently have much with cushions, but those get brought in from the rain. I found covers a major hassle that just kept things wet underneath for longer than necessary, and moving them made using the furniture inconvenient.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

We cover everything daily to avoid getting cushions soaked. Covers are relatively inexpensive and have straps that secure them in case of high winds. We also have a plastic storage box to keep the covers inside during the day. We live in the midwest where the snowfall is heavy so I move our furniture to the basement or garage in the fall. Deck furniture is expensive, covers not so much and the time and effort to preserve is worth it unless you don't mind the expense of replacing.