Which car has the best or most comfortable cabin under 35K

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crossbow

Which car has the best or most comfortable cabin under 35K

Post by crossbow » Thu May 16, 2019 1:19 am

Due to a change in circumstances, we now have a long daily commute, so toying with the idea of splurging on something more comfortable since we'll be "consuming" that luxury for a couple of hours everyday. Which car cabin have you been wowed by? Budget $35K (incl taxes and fees), doesn't have to be new but ideally not beyond 3 years old.

inbox788

Re: Which car has the best or most comfortable cabin under 35K

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 am

I'd like to know too, and comfortable includes quiet in my book. I'd guess you'd have to ask, what's more comfortable than a new Camry XLE or an off lease 2017 Lexus ES. You should be able to get either of those right under your target. I'd look into Buick LaCrosse? as well, but not too familiar with them.

Doc7

Post by Doc7 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 am

Not sure what you're really looking for, but I have always found a 3-year old Honda Accord LX to be the best value in vehicles at 15-18K price range and my wife's current version of such (which is a 2015 model) is fairly quiet and very comfortable.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu May 16, 2019 5:03 am

Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium trim.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

strafe

Post by strafe » Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 am

Hyundai Equus — used,3 years old — by far. Also look at Genesis G80/90.

The Toyota/Lexus/Ford/Honda mentioned above are nice cars, but not even in the same universe compared to the Equus/Genesis.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 am

I am a soon 80 years old retiree with a problem right leg and hip and drive around / park for 2 hours each day. I find my Chevy Malibu LT (list price $26.6k) very comfortable. My driver seat is powered and lets me adjust for comfort in multiple ways.
Last edited by likegarden on Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 am

Think outside the box on this one. Choose a used luxury car that is not popular but reliable. Spend 6 hours on the highway and you'll realize why

For example:

2 year old Infiniti Q70L.
2 year old Cadillac CT6

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 am

My 2011 Honda Accord 4 door LX is quite comfortable.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am

crossbow wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:19 am
Due to a change in circumstances, we now have a long daily commute, so toying with the idea of splurging on something more comfortable since we'll be "consuming" that luxury for a couple of hours everyday. Which car cabin have you been wowed by? Budget $35K (incl taxes and fees), doesn't have to be new but ideally not beyond 3 years old.
The answer can be found here...

The Best Car and Truck Interiors Available for Less than $40,000
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g ... interiors/

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu May 16, 2019 8:20 am

A lot of it depends on individual fit. A car that is comfortable to a large person might feel uncomfortable to a small person. How you adjust the seats can be critical too. If you Google something like "ergonomic car seat adjustment" you will find lots of information on how to best adjust a car seat to fit you right.

Many larger cities with have large auto shows in some place like a convention center. You may be able to go to one of those and "try on" dozens of cars in an hour or two to see what feels good to you.

That would be best for eliminating cars that obviously do not feel good to you. A potential problem is that a car can feel good for a few minutes but be uncomfortable after sitting in it for a couple of hours.

Once you have settled on a car try to get an overnight loaner for an extended test drive. I normally do not like them since I think they are too expensive but CarMax will allow you to return a car after several days if you do not like it for any reason. Some car rental sales locations, like Hertz will allow you to rent a car for a few days to try it out.

You may want to avoid cars with sunroofs since you often lose headroom when there is a sunroof.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:03 am
I second the Ford Fusion.

I have the hybrid, but bought it before the Titanium trim came out (I have a 2013, the first year of the redesign).

That said, Ford is planning on discontinuing the Fusion line in the United States after 2020.

-B

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:23 am

Lincoln. Hard to beat their interiors.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 am

Barsoom wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

I have the hybrid, but bought it before the Titanium trim came out (I have a 2013, the first year of the redesign).

That said, Ford is planning on discontinuing the Fusion line in the United States after 2020.

-B
The fusion drives very well, but for those with back problems the seat isn’t great. The contouring of the seatback is slightly off and the lumbar support isn’t right. There’s also not enough bolstering

I’ve has the fusion titanium as a rental for probably 30-40 days and it’s a great car, but there are better options out there in terms of comfortable seats.

I think ford learned a thing or two from their ownership of Volvo and tried to use that in making the seats for the fusion but they didn’t quite get it right.

That said, if the seat works for you the fusion is a good car but the interior is cheap looking even in titanium trim and doesn’t hold up well because of low quality plastics and cheap leather. Don’t think it’ll be best option for OP

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 am

researcher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 am
crossbow wrote:

+1

Basically check out any Mazda. They’re in your price range, interiors are better than cars costing 2x as much, they’re fun to drive and they’re reliable.

The current crop of Volvo’s have amazing interiors but the reliability is questionable and you’d need to get used to get into your price range

The Accord in EX-L or touring trim level also has an extremely upscale quality interior and is a pleasure to drive.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 am
researcher wrote:
crossbow wrote:

+1

Basically check out any Mazda. They’re in your price range, interiors are better than cars costing 2x as much, they’re fun to drive and they’re reliable.

The current crop of Volvo’s have amazing interiors but the reliability is questionable and you’d need to get used to get into your price range

The Accord in EX-L or touring trim level also has an extremely upscale quality interior and is a pleasure to drive.
I've got a 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring. Completely loaded with every option. While the interior packaging is very well done and quite comfortable, the road noise is pretty obtrusive. It's comfortable, but not quiet.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am

It is all personal preference for the most part, but i find my VW Sportwagon Golf to be very comfortable cabin wise and the wife does as well.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am

daheld wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am
I've got a 2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring. Completely loaded with every option. While the interior packaging is very well done and quite comfortable, the road noise is pretty obtrusive. It's comfortable, but not quiet.
You're driving the old, previous generation platform.
Not comparable to the new model...

Although it retains much of the lovable character of most Mazdas—purity in operation and communication—it also greatly diminishes one fault that, in recent years, became the brand’s most glaring flaw: noise. Indeed, the new 6 is quieter at 70 mph than both the 2016 model and the new Honda Accord Touring 2.0T, a fact made possible by more than 70 noise-reducing changes to this revised 2018 model.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a2 ... st-review/

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu May 16, 2019 9:51 am

strafe wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 am

The Toyota/Lexus/Ford/Honda mentioned above are nice cars, but not even in the same universe compared to the Equus/Genesis.
Another vote for Genesis. You can get 2015/2016 model under 25k miles for 22-28k depends on the options.

Lexus LS is also another option, but it could get up to 35k for a used model.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu May 16, 2019 9:53 am

researcher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am
daheld wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am
You're driving the old, previous generation platform.
Not comparable to the new model...

Although it retains much of the lovable character of most Mazdas—purity in operation and communication—it also greatly diminishes one fault that, in recent years, became the brand’s most glaring flaw: noise. Indeed, the new 6 is quieter at 70 mph than both the 2016 model and the new Honda Accord Touring 2.0T, a fact made possible by more than 70 noise-reducing changes to this revised 2018 model.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a2 ... st-review/
Well then. I stand corrected. :sharebeer :sharebeer

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
I was in SW Florida looking at real estate last month. My rental was a Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Very impressive vehicle indeed. I was in that car for several hours each day- extremely comfortable. Loved that car.
Funding secured

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
+1

We have the Energi Titanium trim of the Fusion (plug in model). It is very comfortable and nicely equipped and you can get them at a pretty steep discount at 1-2 years old. At $35k you could get likely get brand new.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 am

The absolute most comfortable car I've ridden in for long distances was an old diesel S class Mercedes. I was in the back seat, which seemed hard as a rock, but after 8 hours of driving the length of Florida with a couple sales guys, I felt like I had ridden for about 2 minutes.

The best I've experienced driving was in my 1990 BMW M3, which had Recaro sport seats. Again hard as a rock. I can remember one trip non stop from Boston to Philly. Got out and felt like I just got in.

Honorable mention.....Lotus Elise. While difficult to get in and out of the car, we did many, many drives for 3 hours out to Lime Rock and 3 hours back. Another hard as a rock seat.....and this one didn't even recline!

Soft as a couch seats are great so sit in if you're at the drive in. But they suck for comfort when you're driving a long time.

YMMV
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

anil686

Post by anil686 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 am

I liked the Fusion as well but the seats were a little bit uncomfortable for me with the neck support. I also second the Lexus ES350 off lease or a Toyota Avalon off lease - both have little road noise in my experience and very comfortable seats. Gas mileage not great but the Avalon hybrid is pretty good. Lexus ES300 h is really nice (drove that for five years). JMO though...

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 am

Last week I pulled a 700-mile day in my Infiniti M37. Piece of cake, quiet ride and comfy seats. Plenty of room to stretch out. Wide center arm rest.

You can definitely find a low mile used M37/Q70 for $35,000.

It's a fairly large car but I got 26MPG hauling along at 80 miles per hour all day.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 am

Having some physical issues, when DW and I go car shopping, it's actually "seat shopping" and ingress/egress shopping.
Factors are:
1. Seat height above ground. So it's not a long way to get up or down to seat level. Ideally, if one's rear end is near to seat height when standing next to the seat, that's great. (feeling like one is sitting on the ground can be awkward and maybe painful when getting out)
2. Height and size of the door opening when standing next to the seat and getting in and out. IE: do you have to crank your neck and/or bend your head to get in and out.
3. Interior size and layout. Like a good shoe fit.
4. Seat. IE: power seat, lumbar support, if it fits your body or not.
(many car seats seem designed for a crash dummy, not real people with real spines) :shock: ]
5. Suspension softness, absorption of bumps, jiggles, etc.
6. Noise level
7. Ergonomics
8. Outgassing. Some cars/trucks outgass for a long time from when they are new. Some smell horrible from the start. :shock:
All of this adds up to = comfort. :D

FWIW: the car/truck that fits me the best as far as 1-8 was a brand new Toyota Tundra TRD (loaded) full size truck. Also fit well, Toyota 4Runner TRD 4wd (higher), and Toyota Large SUV, all loaded for the power seat options.
In the past, the only other comfortable car I've ever had was a Honda Passport, early year.
Most uncomfortable was a Mazda Miata . . . . and a Ford Pinto. :shock:
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 am
researcher wrote:
crossbow wrote:

+1

Mazda interiors are nice but comfort isn't really about interior quality. It is more about seat comfort, seat position, road noise, and road vibration. The newest mazdas are definitely competitive with the rest in their market (the hondas and toyotas) but things like seat comfort are a notch down from most of the luxury makers. The used Lexus is going to be more comfortable for most people. Now there are definitely a lot of personal preferences and there are also quality bars where often things just need to be good enough (i.e. for my use there is no difference between a 5s 0-60 car and a 7s one) not the best possible.

The one wild card to think about is if modern tech like adaptive cruise control will help your comfort when driving. That is relatively hard to find in 3+ year old cars (it is out there but it tended to be an option that not many people selected in most models). That might tilt you towards buying a new mazda/toyota/honda versus a 3 year old lexus/acura/...

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 am

I'd Turo or extended test drive some options. This is likely pretty personal.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 am
+1

We have the Energi Titanium trim of the Fusion (plug in model). It is very comfortable and nicely equipped and you can get them at a pretty steep discount at 1-2 years old. At $35k you could get likely get brand new.
I'm surprised at all of the Ford Fusion recommendations. I've been in a few and found them woefully lacking compared to the Honda Accord and Mazda 6. This assessment is spot on...

- "There's none of the focused excellence that we enjoy from competitors such as the Honda Accord and the Mazda 6. Many buyers will be satisfied with this Renaissance car, but we can't help but think that they might be happier in something else."
- "Hybrid models fail to inspire, can be very pricey, competitors are more refined."
- "A hugely varied model lineup with a version for everyone, but many competitors deliver more focused, better-executed packages."

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/fusion

No way would I spend $35K on this discontinued car. You can spend thousands less and get a much better Accord / 6.

azanon

Post by azanon » Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 am

Smoke wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am
It is all personal preference for the most part, but i find my VW Sportwagon Golf to be very comfortable cabin wise and the wife does as well.
There won't be much time left to get one of those. Rumor mill is Sportswagon and regular Golf are going away in 2020 for the US market. Alltrak, GTI, and R are retained though.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am

Another vote for Mazda. IMO the best, most comfortable interiors outside of luxury class vehicles. The new models are also very quiet. I own 2 (a Mazda6 and CX-5) and I can drive them for hours in complete comfort. Combine that with sharp exterior styling, excellent driving dynamics and very good reliability. Mazdas definitely punch above their weight and most of the higher-end ones are still built in Japan.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am

You don't say if your longer commute is due to congestion or longer miles, but I'd also consider a high mileage car a requirement.
I'd look at a pre-owned Volvo - Famous for their comfortable seats, and high mileage. I just did 1629 miles in 2 days and was happy to be sitting for that long in my Volvo. My last 2 Volvo's were traded in with over 275k miles.

But as others have mentioned what is comfortable is very individualized, so you need to experience the car yourself to determine if it's a fit for you and passenger.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

researcher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 am
+1

I'm surprised at all of the Ford Fusion recommendations. I've been in a few and found them woefully lacking compared to the Honda Accord and Mazda 6. This assessment is spot on...

- "There's none of the focused excellence that we enjoy from competitors such as the Honda Accord and the Mazda 6. Many buyers will be satisfied with this Renaissance car, but we can't help but think that they might be happier in something else."
- "Hybrid models fail to inspire, can be very pricey, competitors are more refined."
- "A hugely varied model lineup with a version for everyone, but many competitors deliver more focused, better-executed packages."

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/fusion

No way would I spend $35K on this discontinued car. You can spend thousands less and get a much better Accord / 6.
I've also seen several threads about the seats in the Accord. People like different things. People have different experiences. if you are in a rental version, it is probably the base S or base SE model. Pretty similar to a stripped down Accord or Camry LE. Spartan for a reason.

I need to stop commenting on car threads. (note to self..stop commenting on car threads..note taken).
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

H-Town wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:51 am
strafe wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:09 am

Another vote for Genesis. You can get 2015/2016 model under 25k miles for 22-28k depends on the options.

Lexus LS is also another option, but it could get up to 35k for a used model.
And another vote for Genesis from me. Quietest, most comfortable car I’ve owned in 40 yrs of driving.

My teenage son has a 2017 Ford Fusion. Decent car. Not in the same league as the Genesis. Not by a long shot.

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Thu May 16, 2019 10:35 am

2016 Lexus ES 300 Hybrids are coming off 3 year leases. Asking price is around $30k in the SF East Bay. I have one and average 37 mpg in mostly city driving plus being at the top of a hill. Car is very comfortable and quiet. Power seats. Not particularly engaging to drive, but it suits me since I hate road noise.

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am
People like different things. People have different experiences. if you are in a rental version, it is probably the base S or base SE model. Pretty similar to a stripped down Accord or Camry LE. Spartan for a reason.
Agreed.
But the detailed review I linked to discussed your exact vehicle, the Ford Fusion Energi Titanium, not a rental version.
And the Fusion is riding on a 7 year old platform that has been discontinued.
With a total MSRP of nearly $37K!

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am

Hi, buddy. If you have a long commute with highway driving, it is also better to skew towards larger, longer wheelbase cars. Sort of same thing happened to me. I went from a short drive to a long drive. At that time, I wished I had a larger rather than shorter car, because the short car bumps around more and the steering twitches more in the highway. So, if your choice comes down to say Audi A3 vs Honda Accord, Honda Accord might be better, even though the interior quality is a bit worse.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:06 am

researcher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 am
bloom2708 wrote:
People like different things. People have different experiences. if you are in a rental version, it is probably the base S or base SE model. Pretty similar to a stripped down Accord or Camry LE. Spartan for a reason.
Agreed.
But the detailed review I linked to discussed your exact vehicle, the Ford Fusion Energi Titanium, not a rental version.
That can also mean a mature platform with fewer issues. :wink: We got our 2017 with 18k miles for $19,900. It has all the lane departure, adaptive cruise, Apple Car Play, GPS Nav, Blind Spot. 24 mile all electric range. Certainly not a Tesla. The all electric is just very fun to drive in town. I haven't driven a Tesla or Leaf to compare it to.

On this forum, if it isn't a Subaru, Toyota or Honda it is off the scope. Maybe I have to add Mazda to that list. I drove a Mazda for 7 years. I had a Toyota Highlander. I had a Honda Odyssey. They were all fine cars. I don't think they were more or less reliable than the Fords I've had. I always take all reviews with a grain of salt. I hope the OP drives some cars and buys the one he likes. That will be the best car. Until it isn't.

Some don't like the sedan anymore. I understand the sitting up higher can be better. I really like the open feel and visibility of the new Forester. The short wheel base means it is a more jittery ride. The interiors feel cheap compared to some other cars. I understand why some car companies are going to a more SUV/common platform. The new Escape for 2020 looks like a good plan. FWD, AWD, Hybrid and Plug in versions all on one platform.

Lots of changes to come as electric cars and hybrids take more market share.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

Toyota AVALON is a very comfortable & quiet to drive long distances in. Maybe few dollars less than Lexus but has equal luxury, & it wont leave you stuck on the road by a long shot compared to other brands. At least keep it in the Toyota Line Up, you will be a happy man even after 10 yrs of driving the car.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am

Lexus GS is often forgotten because they move so few of those, but its a phenomenal car and you can find a used one in your price range. Otherwise, another vote for a Genesis. If gas mileage is any concern, then I suggest a ES300 hybrid, you can get 40MPG.

Forget the Fusion/Accord/Toyota recommendations, those are economy cars and while pretty good (I drive one), you asked for the best so you should be looking at luxury brands.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu May 16, 2019 11:38 am

inbox788 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:57 am
I'd like to know too, and comfortable includes quiet in my book. I'd guess you'd have to ask, what's more comfortable than a new Camry XLE or an off lease 2017 Lexus ES. You should be able to get either of those right under your target. I'd look into Buick LaCrosse? as well, but not too familiar with them.
Cars have lower rooflines now, so I need a car that allows me to see out the front window without having to crunch my neck down.

Lacrosse is a fine choice. We got a 2 year old Lacrosse with low mileage for $24K back in 2017.

Toyota Avalon is a similar car, though it was a little more expensive.

My son's Elantra actually works well for me as well, though it is not as comfy, but it gets better gas mileage.

For a commuter car, you might want a vehicle with features like adaptive cruise, and blond spot warning, which can take some
of the workload off driving.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu May 16, 2019 11:44 am

researcher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Agreed.
Sure the msrp is high but that is to make people think they got a good deal when they buy it for 27k after tax credit.

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am

Is there an auto show coming to you anytime soon? I've always found it help to check out things like interior comfort and storage capability at auto shows where there are multiple manufacturers all in one place. It beats having to take the time to go to multiple dealers and have to engage with sales people.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Two vehicles not yet recommended come to mind: Acura TLX, Acura RDX. First is a sedan with all the comforts you could ask for, quiet, and with good gas mileage. Second is a compact SUV with all the comforts you could ask for, quiet, and with good-for-a-small-SUV gas mileage. Both can be had brand new for right around the top of your price range. Both should last for a very long time. The TLX is naturally aspirated, the RDX has a turbo, if that's a concern. Very, very nice interiors. Only the entry-level trim for each is available at the $35k range, but both are still very nicely equipped at that level (e.g., panoramic sunroof in the RDX).

shans2000

Post by shans2000 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Buick Encore or Envision if you can go slightly higher.

wtjbatman

Post by wtjbatman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm

My wife and I love our Ford Fusion Titanium. It's a couple years old now, 2016, but it is easily the most comfortable car we've driven. Purchased used for under 20K. The seats are very supportive for both my large frame and my wife's smaller one, and the driver's seat adjusts very well. It's comfortable both around town and on road trips. And I hate flying, so we drive everywhere :D

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Barsoom wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

-B
Oh, and my Fusion hybrid gets 40 mpg, too.

-B

Epont

Re: We best or most comfortable cabin under 35K

Post by Epont » Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 pm

I know I’m a old man but I love any of the Mercury Grand Marquis. Inexpensive and roomy.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

rocket354 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Two vehicles not yet recommended come to mind: Acura TLX, Acura RDX. First is a sedan with all the comforts you could ask for, quiet, and with good gas mileage. Second is a compact SUV with all the comforts you could ask for, quiet, and with good-for-a-small-SUV gas mileage. Both can be had brand new for right around the top of your price range. Both should last for a very long time. The TLX is naturally aspirated, the RDX has a turbo, if that's a concern. Very, very nice interiors. Only the entry-level trim for each is available at the $35k range, but both are still very nicely equipped at that level (e.g., panoramic sunroof in the RDX).
Acura TLX has a big problem, which is that the 2018 Honda Accord exists. TLX is mostly a reskin of the 2017 and earlier Accord. TLX did have a more upscale interior, but 2018 Accord is comparable in higher trims and has a better infotainment system. Accord has superior powertrains also, unless you want the TLX dual clutch 8 speed specifically. You can probably get TLX for a discount though, because of all this. Acura used to be a storied brand. I had one too once upon a time. Now, they are just half trying on everything. Sad!

RDX is the most important car to Acura, and it is their best model, even if it is a CRV at the baseline (Acura claims it's distinct, but it's not really). The main limitation is its price. Unless the TLX is heavily discounted, RDX is probably better.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm

azanon wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:24 am
Smoke wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 am
There won't be much time left to get one of those. Rumor mill is Sportswagon and regular Golf are going away in 2020 for the US market. Alltrak, GTI, and R are retained though.
Even if the "rumor" is true, the Alltrak is the same vehicle as the Sportwagon, just has another 1.5" ish clearance.
Sportwagon 4motion is optional, Alltrak is standard. Same vehicle. Some trim may be different.
About the same price give or take 2k
Last edited by Smoke on Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

Jack FFR1846

Re: We best or most comfortable cabin under 35K

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Epont wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 pm
I know I’m a old man but I love any of the Mercury Grand Marquis. Inexpensive and roomy.
Very inexpensive. The newest one is now 8 years old, so maybe $3500 instead of $35,000.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid