Instant Coffee?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Instant Coffee?

Post by sport » Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm

I am not a coffee drinker, but occasionally I want to serve it to others. Is there such a thing as instant coffee that is any good? All I have heard are negative comments.

Dottie57

Re: Instant Coffee?

Post by Dottie57 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Mom likes Starbuck’s little packets for instant. Mucho expensivo.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Nescafe Taster's Choice Freeze Dried Coffee
Slow and steady wins the race.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 pm

This: https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Gator-Pou ... JJJSPSKQG6

Store this out of the way and keep some good quality ground coffee in the freezer.

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Starbucks Via instant packets is probably the most readily available product that tastes pretty close to a real cup of coffee. There is a lot of niche instant coffee makers out now that seem to partly target the ultralight hiking crowd. You can search the web for some pretty extensive reviews. I would just start with the Starbucks Via first and see how it is received though. About $1/cup at Target if I remember correctly.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Not for me, but fact is there is a lot of instant coffee sold. Some people obviously like it enough to buy and consume.

If I didn't drink coffee myself, I wouldn't stress over what I served someone else. Kinda like I wouldn't have expensive hooch in the house unless I drank alcohol myself.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue May 14, 2019 5:08 pm

I can think of 3 things to try before instant coffee.

1) If you only need one cup every once in awhile, consider a single cup driper and keep some good quality ground coffee in the freezer. Here is an example but there are many varieties available.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HIC-Coffee-F ... thena=true

2) A French Press would be nice for a few cups of coffee every once in awhile. Again, keep good quality ground coffee in the freezer. Just google "french press" and you will find a dozen varieties and even videos telling you what to do.

3) A third alternative would be "coffee bags". Yes, you can find something like a tea bag but it contains coffee. Have not tried them, but would they may do in a pinch and are likely to be better than instant coffee.

4) A fourth idea is a Kurig type device which will make 1 cup of coffee any time. I probably would not go that route because this is the biggest of all the alternatives and I have limited storage for "once a year" appliances. However, few coffee drinkers would turn up their noses at this option (I think).

On the other hand, I've not used instant coffee in decades - it might be great.

depressed

Post by depressed » Tue May 14, 2019 5:12 pm

I keep a box of Folgers coffee bags in the house for when my daughter visits, along with her favorite vegan creamer and a hand-held spinny thing that froths the creamer. She insists that the water be boiling when she pours it over the bag. The vegan creamer just needs to be hot, but not necessarily boiling.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Starbucks Via is good. It's actually part instant coffee and part micro-ground coffee beans, which gives it some body. It's a bit strong for some folks, but you can use less.

I recently bought some O Organics instant coffee and it's good but more obviously instant. My advice for any instant coffee is don't go too cheap. And if you don't use it often don't get a big jar or a lot of packets.

For your usage, an advantage of instant over brewed coffee is that the guest could mix it to their desired strength.

As a long-time coffee drinker I wouldn't be put off by anything a host offered. Tea would also be welcome. What was tough when I used to drink more coffee than I do now, was spending the night staying up too late somewhere, and waking up to no coffee at all. For that situation you could let them know ahead of time to bring their own.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:25 pm

I was born and raised on Nescafe, and that's my go-to (Nescafe Gold) if my next shipment of beans is still en route. Depending on the time of day, you may want to offer guests a choice of regular or decaf. (Or at least pretend you're giving them decaf.)

douginct

Post by douginct » Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

No offense please - I am a coffee drinker and if I was visiting someone and the only coffee they had was instant, I would just skip it. I have never had an instant coffee that I would call acceptable.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue May 14, 2019 5:43 pm

After 40 years I went back to Tasters Choice from brewed because it seemed a little easier on my nerves. That was a huge change for me.

A current coffee lover is never going to go for that.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:51 pm

I like Starbucks Via as well.

I’m not a coffee snob by any means - my primary objective is the caffeine - but I don’t like most instant coffee.

The Starbucks packets are in a completely different class. I carry a few when I travel, and although it’s still not as good as a real cup of decent coffee, it’s better than most of the trash they provide in hotel rooms.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 pm

sport wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm
I am not a coffee drinker, but occasionally I want to serve it to others. Is there such a thing as instant coffee that is any good? All I have heard are negative comments.
Interesting question!

I am a regular coffee drinker - but only rarely do I make instant. To my "taste", today's instant coffee is just as bad as it was decades ago.

In most cases, if you are serving/offering to others, just get and use a "Mr Coffee" or equivalent.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm

sport wrote:
.....occasionally I want to serve it to others........
To start - just who are these "others" you want to offer coffee to? People who just drop in unexpectedly, without notice, and you feel as host you must be gracious and offer beverages? Heck no, if these are the "others", they deserve nothing special, so should get nothing special. a.k.a. something out of the jar of instant coffee and boiling water :P

Now, however, if you regularly schedule lunch get-to-gethers, dinner parties, or other social events at your home to which the people are actual, invited, guests :shock: then you should do some prep.

They do deserve, and should be entitled as the true guests they are, to the welcome aroma of freshly-brewed coffee in your drip coffee-maker, whether Mr. Coffee or one of the high-priced brands.

The actual coffee beans, or ground offering, whatever you purchase and keep in the freezer, is less important than the aroma your guests will smell and appreciate. :D

Topic Author
sport

Post by sport » Tue May 14, 2019 7:39 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm
sport wrote:
.....occasionally I want to serve it to others........
To start - just who are these "others" you want to offer coffee to? People who just drop in unexpectedly, without notice, and you feel as host you must be gracious and offer beverages? Heck no, if these are the "others", they deserve nothing special, so should get nothing special. a.k.a. something out of the jar of instant coffee and boiling water :P

Now, however, if you regularly schedule lunch get-to-gethers, dinner parties, or other social events at your home to which the people are actual, invited, guests :shock: then you should do some prep.

They do deserve, and should be entitled as the true guests they are, to the welcome aroma of freshly-brewed coffee in your drip coffee-maker, whether Mr. Coffee or one of the high-priced brands.

The actual coffee beans, or ground offering, whatever you purchase and keep in the freezer, is less important than the aroma your guests will smell and appreciate. :D
It is just a general question about instant coffee. I never drink any of it, so I have no first hand knowledge.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm

sport wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:39 pm
It is just a general question about instant coffee. I never drink any of it, so I have no first hand knowledge.
[/quote]

"I am not a coffee drinker, but occasionally I want to serve it to others"

Just a general question?

Then why bring up the issue of serving it to your guests :?: :?

The way you phrased it - sounded to me like you didn't want to commit a faux pax - sorry if I misunderstood.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 pm

sport wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:39 pm
It would be helpful to know the context. A relative or friend who comes to visit for 3 days twice a year might require a different solution from an unexpected overnight guest who stays 1 night.

But about instant....likely not the best possible solution, but you surely don't have to become a barista to offer a decent cup of coffee.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Jim never has a second cup at home... :?:

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue May 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Really dating yourself here, Kenkat, aren't you.... :P :P :P :P

Or, did you recently watch that great oldie movie "Airplane"..... :P :P :P :P

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 pm

https://www.amazon.com/slp/coffee-frenc ... fz7n99j4pj

Try French press and some coffee powder you can use sparingly

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:06 pm

I'll just have a glass of water, thanks.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Coffee snobs will never accept instant

depressed

Post by depressed » Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 pm
Jim never has a second cup at home... :?:
I remember that commercial, Kenkat! :sharebeer

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

I drink Keurig coffee while at home, but drink instant while on the road in my RV (about 6 weeks a year). I used to dread instant coffee, but didn't want to take the time to try anything else while on the road. But, about a year ago, I discovered Mexican acid neutralized coffee and now I even drink it at home about half the time. The coffee does not have the unpleasant sharp taste the all of the other instants have. :shock:
My favorite, PAMPA is also the most frugal I have found. I have found it in most Walmarts around the nation; Sometimes in the Mexican food section and sometimes with the rest of the instants. It costs about $1.60 for a jar that will make about a dozen mugs. That cost is hard to beat. Give it a try for your guests.
True dat about coffee snobs, but most people will accept it and enjoy it.
"Florida Man", Doing stupid stuff so you don't have to!

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm

All I drink is instant at home. Nescafé tasters choice. Decaf.
At work I drink Starbucks.

FRT15

Post by FRT15 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm

I actually like Folgers instant. I don't consume much anymore because I have read some things about the health of instant not being as good as regular coffee. Something to do with the crystalization process. When I stay in hostels in Europe they usually have instant. It's definitely bigger in other parts of the world.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm

I drank instant coffee for decades because of lack of time and convenience. Often, made in a large thermos that lasted the day.
Instant coffee degrades quickly once opened. But longer if unopened after buying it.
So, suggest purchasing the smallest size instant coffee. Knowing that once opened, the flavor will degrade quickly and turn bitter.
So, later, if it sits for too long, it won't cost as much to throw it out.

Try different brands to see what you like. Nescafe, Tasters Choice, Folgers, etc. Many come in small containers.

Now retired, I grind the best Kona coffee beans every morning and brew in a French Press.
Much better. :D

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 pm

I think Via is an acceptable option. Not what I drink at home, but I have taken Vias to foreign lands where hotel rooms offered only a tea kettle. Certainly drinkable.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Abe wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 pm
I tried this in the past as a consistently-recommended "less bad" instant coffee that I could keep at work.

I'm not picky about coffee (I prefer the gourmet stuff, but have never turned up my nose at Yuban or Folgers), but I found it a very poor substitute for fresh coffee and settled on just keeping teabags on hand. It might be fine for some guests, but I don't think it will be consistently enjoyed.

I recommend either a French press, or a small basic drip coffee maker, which actually will be the same price as a French press. The small ones are usually labeled "4 cup" or so, but because of universal and peculiarly un-remedied violations of the weights and measures regulations most states have, actually make only about 16 ounces of coffee.

I would additionally buy a bag of decent quality ground, vacuum bagged, medium-roast coffee to keep in the freezer (put it in an air tight container or bag after first opening), and once a year or so, give what's left to a friend that drinks coffee and buy a new bag before the flavor changes noticeably.

The coffee maker will be $20. A bag of coffee will be $6-8. A pack of filters is another couple dollars.

This should be satisfactory to most coffee drinkers, while hopefully not unreasonable in cost and hassle to you.

Also, write this down on a label on the coffee maker, because it gets easily forgotten, and manuals and online guides you find will seldom clarify if they mean a real cup or a false advertising cup: 1.5 to 2 tablespoons grounds per 8 ounces water.

If cost isn't a concern to you, although I dislike their business model, the Keurig machines honestly are very consistent at making a good cup of coffee. They are quite convenient for making one cup at a time, the sealed cups of grounds can reasonably keep their flavor for several years, and there are mixed packs available so you can offer guests different roast levels or even flavored coffees. One of their models is reasonably compact for easy storage.

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm
I drank instant coffee for decades because of lack of time and convenience. Often, made in a large thermos that lasted the day.
Instant coffee degrades quickly once opened. But longer if unopened after buying it.
So, suggest purchasing the smallest size instant coffee. Knowing that once opened, the flavor will degrade quickly and turn bitter.
So, later, if it sits for too long, it won't cost as much to throw it out.

Try different brands to see what you like. Nescafe, Tasters Choice, Folgers, etc. Many come in small containers.

Now retired, I grind the best Kona coffee beans every morning and brew in a French Press.
Much better. :D
+1 to this. FYI we use Tasters Choice due to lack of time now. I used to be a french press-er.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Keurig should be at least acceptable to most people, certainly more so than instant, while also still convenient for you.
You can get Mr Coffee branded Keurig compatible machines dirt cheap, and some of their are a bit more compact..

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Passionate coffee snob here. Not a fan of anything Starbucks, but their instant VIA coffee works pretty well in a pinch especially while on the road traveling.

Never had a cup of anything made with one of those Kuerig machines that was even close to acceptable. Imagine the array of nasty stuff that lurks in the dark little inaccessible Kuerig hot water tank.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Passionate coffee snob here. Not a fan of anything Starbucks, but their instant VIA coffee works pretty well in a pinch especially while on the road traveling.

Never had a cup of anything made with one of those Kuerig machines that was even close to acceptable. Imagine the array of nasty stuff that lurks in the dark little inaccessible Kuerig hot water tank.
I had a boss who was a hot tea drinker who only bought loose tea and used the little strainer spoon thingie to make his cup.
Said that way he could shake the leaves first and get out the dirt normally trapped in tea bags with the tea.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm

I had a boss who was a hot tea drinker who only bought loose tea and used the little strainer spoon thingie to make his cup.
Said that way he could shake the leaves first and get out the dirt normally trapped in tea bags with the tea.
No self respecting tea drinker uses tea bags. Most tea in tea bags is very low quality tea or many cases it is the accumulated leavings, known as tea dust, once the quality whole leaves have been removed from the bulk bags/containers - what remains contains a lot of debris.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Tue May 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Mount Hagen Organic Instant Coffee, available both regular and decaf, by the jar or single serve packets.

Cafe Altura Freeze Dried Instant Organic Coffee, both regular and decaf, jars.

Starbucks Via, various flavors, single serve packets.

I enjoy each of them for traveling or visiting coffeeless places.

Instant coffee is also a wonderful tasty ingredient: chili, brownies, stew, soup, mole, braising, smoothies, barbecue sauce, meat rubs, etc.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm

I've had Nescafe single Serve packets in Ireland and UK and it was pretty good .

https://www.nestleprofessional.us/taste ... -ct-x-17-g

I have a nice coffee maker at home and use Peets coffee, but if I want a super quick 1 cup later on in the day I have started using Café Bustelo, I buy them at Target, says espresso, but it tastes more like coffee to me.

https://www.cafebustelo.com/en/coffees/ ... ngle-serve

Ricchan

Post by Ricchan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:49 pm

I am a bit of a coffee snob. I usually grind up some single origin beans from Intelligentsia, Counter Culture, or Stumptown for a pour over in the mornings. Starbucks tastes like weak burnt coffee to me most of the time. Sometimes I need to resort to instant coffee, and I understand it's a different product so I adjust my expectations accordingly. That said, I've been happy with Nescafe Gold Blend, which I believe is also marketed as Taster's Choice.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:36 pm
Um, don't think the OP is going to be actually trying any brands. At least not for taste test.

He isn't a coffee drinker. Remember?

"I am not a coffee drinker, but occasionally I want to serve it to others"

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am

Miller Lite isn't beer.

White zinfandel isn't wine.

Instant coffee isn't coffee.
Retired 2018 Every day is Saturday | Simple is good | One Vanguard TDF except for a bunch of individual stocks = Still recovering from Fidelity AUM experience years ago | Sleeping well at night

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 am

Abe wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 pm
+1
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

scout80

Post by scout80 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 am

There are good instant coffees out there - as a brewed coffee lover who likes convenience I find the Starbucks VIA packets taste good and my little gem, if you can find It, is Medaglia D'Oro Instant Espresso - it comes in a little glass jar and if you put 2 teaspoons of that into a 12 oz. mug with hot water it is awesome. I have switched almost exclusively to this due to the taste and convenience. It is as close as you can get to real espresso without brewing it yourself. Check out the 3rd item down on this list to get a look at it - https://www.medagliadoro.com/espresso-products

I buy it at Wal-Mart locally but it is also available on Amazon and other online retailers. It's a small jar and does not take up much space and it's only a few bucks. Who knows - you may even love it too. I have tried other instant espresso brands but none are as good as this. Also I grew up drinking Nescafe instant and after I switched back to mostly instant I used that for a long time - if you go with that just make sure to not be stingy with the amount you use. You might have a coffee lover help you taste test to get the right proportions.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 am

In a pinch, the Starbucks Via isn’t too bad.

But, two things.

1) Coffee, including instant, is much better if it’s fresh. So you would need to just go to Starbucks and buy a few packs on an as needed basis, when you have guests. Buying a bunch and keeping it in a drawer for a year won’t taste good no matter what you get.

2) If you don’t drink coffee yourself, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to make coffee that your guests will find palatable, no matter what coffee or equipment you buy. If you have overnight guests, I would recommend getting a French press and buying beans the day before your guests show up, and having them make their own coffee. For evening guests, I would just skip the coffee.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 am

DWesterb2iz2

Post by DWesterb2iz2 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Ricola wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 am
Nescafe Classico
https://www.nestleusa.com/brands/coffee/clasico
Seconded! It’s “Clasico” with one “s”. Took my mother in law to Tahiti and stayed in small hotels. We got tins of Clasico and a $25 electric kettle at a local store there and had instant coffee every morning in whatever little place we were staying that day. Got hooked on it and buy jars of it here now. Have for years.

When we left Tahiti, we gave the kettle to the maid of our final hotel, and she was so happy, she welled up. I’ll always remember that response.

Anyway, years later we were in a posh hotel in Italy, and they had little sleeves of Clasico in the fancy rooms there, just like we had for ourselves in the modest rooms in the South Pacific. It’s good stuff.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Fri May 17, 2019 4:01 pm

We like Cafe Bustelo, especially the instant espresso.

www.cafebustelo.com/en

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri May 17, 2019 4:12 pm

PLEASE make sure you warn coffee drinkers before you attempt to serve them instant coffee in place of real coffee.
For a lot of us coffee drinkers - we would rather go without than drink instant.

My recommendation is also to keep a small drip coffee maker or french press or "pour-over" set-up or single-serve Keurig-machine on hand.

Be kind to your guests - have some real coffee on hand :)

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:37 pm

I drink coffee, at least once a day. I am not particularly picky (beans from Costco, ground at home, brewed in a middle of the road auto drip coffee pot, and will happily drink any 'reasonable' coffee as plain old black brewed coffee).

If you live somewhere approximating civilization, please don't bother, and don't be offended if one of your guests wants a quick coffee run. Regular black Starbucks brewed coffee is 10x better than the least gross instant. Seriously, 'please drink instant' is way less welcome than taking 15 minutes for a coffee run. (About the only thing worse is somebody who has 6 month old grounds in the freezer and insists you drink it)

If you live out in the sticks, Starbucks Via is acceptable, but please provide the via tubes + hot water and let the person who actually drinks coffee mix it up - the 'book' directions give disgustingly weak coffee (we're talking airline coffee at best). For situations like camping, it's the least bad option.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Fri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Occasional weekends, friends for us/frappuccino drinks at home. We use tasters choice instant coffee.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Fri May 17, 2019 5:38 pm

kenoryan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:35 pm
All I drink is instant at home. Nescafé tasters choice. Decaf.
At work I drink Starbucks.
I was perfectly happy drinking Tasters Choice in my twenties, until my mother heard about it and sent me a coffee maker and bag of grounds and insisted I switch! 🙃

The only reason I was able to go back to it was the flavor was nostalgic. Drink it and swear I feel like I'm 27 again. Kind of a madeliene effect.