Donating Car to Disabled Veterans - Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
phxjcc

Donating Car to Disabled Veterans - Recommendations?

Post by phxjcc » Tue May 14, 2019 2:34 pm

I want to donate a car to a disabled veterans charity.

Any recommended organizations that BH's have used?

My google-fu gives me at least a choice of 10 organizations.

You call, they pick up the car, they give you a 503(c) receipt for $500, if it wholesales for more, you get a replacement receipt.
Yes, I COULD take it to CARMAX, SELL IT ON MY OWN, PART IT OUT, or have the EASTER BUNNY sell it, but none of those are going to happen.

Thanks in advance.

Broken Man 1999

Re: Donating Car to Disabled Veterans - Recommendations?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:58 pm

I donated a 1988 conversion van when it was about ten years old. I received a donation amount and saved a few dollars on our taxes.

The charity was a charity I knew about via our membership in a service club that we supported the charity, a children's cancer organization.

I was happy to give them a good donation, as I was familiar with the organization.

There are lots of charities supporting disabled vets, some that are questionable. I would seriously vet the organization's via Charity Navigator to make sure the donation was going to a real charity that helps disabled vets. You can't just go by their names, too many phoney ones out there that raise a lot of money, but do little good.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

fru-gal

Re: Donating Car to Disabled Veterans - Recommendations?

Post by fru-gal » Tue May 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Don't use CarEasy. I donated my car through them, only to find that they take 30% themselves and the charity only gets 70%. The BBB rates them A+, unfortunately.