For Glasses - How to Get Accurate Eye Measurements

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Beatle Boots

For Glasses - How to Get Accurate Eye Measurements

Post by Beatle Boots » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am

Trying to find a local place that will provide hassle-free accurate eye measurements needed for glasses bought on web in order to fix Transition Lens issue.

Background. Bought glasses with transiton lenses from my favorite internet seller (FIRMOO) as I have done for last 3 pairs of glasses (no prior problems). I need 2 accurate measurements to get my transition lenses to properly work. Pupupillary distance (PD) is the total distance between your pupils.

(1) Binocular PD is the total distance between your pupils.

(2) Monocular PD is the distance from the bridge of your nose to your pupil on each side.

A prior optometrist used a machine to provide my Binocular PD measurements which I included in my current FIRMOO order. However, the prior optometrist did Not provide the Monocular measurement and I simply left this blank in the prior glasses I bought from FIRMOO. Also, the prior glasses worked perfect.

Current optometrist refused at the time of service (I was in chair) to provide the measurements. He said he lacked the proper tools to provide the measurements. He said I would have to go next door to the busy high priced chain next door. Shopped there in past and didn't want to go thru it again.

Research: State that I live in does not require Optometrists to provide PD to patients. Also, this same state has a very strong Optometrist lobby and there are no Optometrists in Costco, Target, Walmart, etc..

Problem: Current Firmoo glasses arrived and the Transitions lens are NOT properly aligned and am having vision clarity problems at long range. Possible cause: If I understand it correctly, online optical stores simply use an "Average" to compute the Monocular PD. I have reached out to Firmoo and I advised that I wanted to start return process in order to avoid. Firmoo (chinese company) responded with some vague instructions about using marker on my lenses and returning glasses for a fix. I responded back. Please provide precise instructions and if possible give me a link to youtube video that provides instructions. Lastly, I searched youtube/reddit, etc and could not find instructions on how to obtain these monocular measurements. To me this is sort of amazing given the huge success of this disruptor market segment! Additionally, I have physically gone to various optical shops and asked for these measurments and they simply say "No, not without purchase!" Finally, I went to Amazon to look at the electronic eye measurement devices (cost $100 - $125), but they all have either no reviews or lousy reviews.

I have also been to Play Store and looked at the various apps that will:

(1) let me independently conduct my own eye exam (to verify the current optometrist eye exam results SINCE THIS COULD BE A CAUSE OF MY GLASSES PROBLEMS) - no success

(2) Measure binocular and monocular PD (will pay)- no success

Question 1: Can anyone provide any suggestions on how/where to get a hassle-free accurate eye measurements for a reasonable fee without going thru all the upsales stuff?

Quesion 2: Can anyone provide any accurate DIY Eye Exam apps that will let me validate my optometrists measurements.

Can't get any relief, may dump the entire web based glasses due to all the hassles involved when you encounter problems after delivery.
Also, kind of thinking about starting a side-gig craigslist service where I would be buy a high priced ($500) measuring device and simply sell these measurements for $25 a pop since nobody else seems to be doing this!

Appreciate your help and advice!

Katietsu

Re: For Glasses - How to Get Accurate Eye Measurements

Post by Katietsu » Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am

Since you already have the frames you want, you do not need a fancy device. You just need a friend with a marker. Do the marker thing and send them back. Have them email written instructions if you had trouble understanding what they were asking.

vtjon

Post by vtjon » Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am

I just used this tool in order to purchase some online glasses.
https://www.opticontacts.com/pd-tool.html

I wear contacts primarily so these are just backup. I haven't received them yet and they aren't transition lens so I'm unsure how accurate it will be. The number was close to what I used many years ago when I purchased some online. Also, I think this will only be your binocular PD but I don't know very much about the differences.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Tue May 14, 2019 10:13 am

Beatle Boots wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 am
However, the prior optometrist did Not provide the Monocular measurement and I simply left this blank in the prior glasses I bought from FIRMOO. Also, the prior glasses worked perfect.
Monocular distances are only needed if your nose is not centered between your pupils. Presumably your nose is centered or the prior optometrist would have included the two monocular distances.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 am

I buy glasses from 39dollarglasses.com . They have an online tool that lets you snap a picture with a credit card on your forehead. It then calculates your PD. I tried it and it was within a mm of what the the optometrist measured..

Topic Author
Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots » Tue May 14, 2019 1:04 pm

As the OP, after reading the comments I realized I probably used the wrong Tag line for this thread. My tag line "How to Get Accurate Eye Measurements", assuming I can get them, may not entirely fix my problem. After rethinking my situation, I should have used a Tag Line like:

What to do if you bought internet glasses (transitions, progressive lens, all the extras) and the glasses you recieve don't provide clear vision?

Then I thought: What could be the cause of this?

(1) Bad RX (yes I can go back to Optometrist and ask him to verify my RX cuz my internet glasses don't work)? I suspect he would be thrilled to see me and I have doubts he would say he had made a mistake.

This is where an app would help me independently verify whether my RX was accurate thru some type of app.

(a) since I uploaded my RX to Firmoo, there is a low likelihood of input error on my part.

(2) Firmoo messed up my RX. No real way to verify this other than independently obtain new PD measurements and ask them to verify that the RX glasses actually were based on specifications I provided. In one email, Firmoo stated that they had compared the RX used in the glasses to the RX pdf I sent them and they both reconciled. Additionally, Firmoo sent me the following email:

"As for your concerns with your progressive glasses, may I ask if you can see a bit more clear at far distance when moving the glasses up and down along your nose? This is for us to determine if the segment height of your lenses is a bit higher than your specific needs.

If you are able to see clearly on concerned areas when moving your glasses, may you please put a mark (using a marker) on them and send us a picture so we could adjust if you'll reorder?"

I can easilty slide my glasses up and down my nose thru trial an error to find the point where I see clearly at different distances, but I am not sure about the location of the mark placement and if I need a friend to assist, etc.? Again, I looked for a video that addresses after purchase clarity problems, but could not find anything.

I believe that this after purchase problem is common because I recommended this same company to a friend, several years ago, and she had the exact same problem I am having now; However, I have bought multiple glasses from these same guys with no problems.

Still interested to see if there are any apps or websites that will help me independently: (1) validate my original eye exam results (before going back to Optometrist) & (2) obtain an automated independent validation of PD (yes I know I can manually do it or send a photo in but would like to rule out human error if possible.)

Lastly, just read an CNN article about some online eye exam alternatives (outlawed in some states) and was wondering if anyone had used these sites and could provide feedback.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/15/health/o ... index.html

https://mhealthintelligence.com/news/la ... -eye-exams

Lastly, in case any Optometrists are reading this. I absolutely paid full price for my OD exam with this new dr that I will NOT revisit for my next exam. Additionally, I paid for an additional "UP-Sale" service involving a detailed computer imaging scan. Just because I didn't buy glasses from this guy or buy glasses from the big box optical chain (next door) where he gets additional compensation from, does not mean I am trying to cheat this guy!

Rotarman

Post by Rotarman » Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Do you have a nicer pair of binoculars or could you go to a store that has them? Many have a scale with PD at the center. Find where you see perfectly through the binocs without any black on either side of your vision.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Tue May 14, 2019 1:42 pm

By the way, interpupillary distance is different for near and far vision. My prescription has numbers for both. I am new to online eyeglasses... just ordered my first pairs from eyebuydirect.com and was able to input both numbers into their website. My optometrist rents space in a Costco. I don't know if all/other Costco optometrists provide pupillary distance measurements.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

Topic Author
Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots » Tue May 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Rotarman wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm
Do you have a nicer pair of binoculars or could you go to a store that has them? Many have a scale with PD at the center. Find where you see perfectly through the binocs without any black on either side of your vision.
Thanks. Did some quick googling and found this article related to PD and high end binoculars.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/b ... culars-06/

Maybe I am dinse or missing something, but it looks like high-end binoculars are capable of providing the binocular PD not the monocular PD? Perhaps I am wrong?