One-day sale on cable modems [Amazon]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lazydavid

One-day sale on cable modems [Amazon]

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 am

There have been a few threads over the past few months about buying your own cable modem, which saves a ton of money in the long run vs. renting. Amazon happens to have most of the Arris models on sale today. I've been using them exclusively for the past 25 years or so (they were Motorola until about 8 years ago). Never had one fail, just replaced when they were no longer supported by my provider.

I've had the SB8200 for about two years, and it's been great. The SB6183 is also fine. Avoid the SB6190 at all costs, as it has a defective Intel Puma chipset that causes connection issues for which there is no fix.

No angle for me, just pointing it out for the group.

rj342

Re: One-day sale on cable modems [Amazon]

Post by rj342 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks.
Related question-- anyone ever come across a retail consumer cable modem that had had the phone line port?
We still keep a landline, thru cable co last couple years, but it means I can't use my own modem and get rid of thst equipment cost like I used to.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue May 14, 2019 11:26 am

rj342 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am
Thanks.
Related question-- anyone ever come across a retail consumer cable modem that had had the phone line port?
We still keep a landline, thru cable co last couple years, but it means I can't use my own modem and get rid of thst equipment cost like I used to.
Two thoughts -
Check eBay/Craigslist. I have found things like this on those sites.
Port your number to Ooma or a similar service and ditch the cable company equipment.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:34 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 am
There have been a few threads over the past few months about buying your own cable modem, which saves a ton of money in the long run vs. renting. Amazon happens to have most of the Arris models on sale today. I've been using them exclusively for the past 25 years or so (they were Motorola until about 8 years ago). Never had one fail, just replaced when they were no longer supported by my provider.

I've had the SB8200 for about two years, and it's been great. The SB6183 is also fine. Avoid the SB6190 at all costs, as it has a defective Intel Puma chipset that causes connection issues for which there is no fix.

No angle for me, just pointing it out for the group.
Arris is really good. Worked flawlessly for morethan 2years.

depressed

Post by depressed » Tue May 14, 2019 12:58 pm

I have a question stemming from my ignorance: Why would I ever want a faster cable modem? My current modem is a Motorola SB5101U, and I have no trouble with loading web pages or streaming videos. My cable company keeps asking me to upgrade the modem, and I wonder why would I? My currently measured download speed is 35Mbps, and my plan allows for 60Mbps. Would I benefit from either of those speedy Arris modems (686Mbps and 1400Mbps)?

Many thanks for your advice.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 14, 2019 1:01 pm

depressed wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:58 pm
I have a question stemming from my ignorance: Why would I ever want a faster cable modem? My current modem is a Motorola SB5101U, and I have no trouble with loading web pages or streaming videos. My cable company keeps asking me to upgrade the modem, and I wonder why would I? My currently measured download speed is 35Mbps, and my plan allows for 60Mbps. Would I benefit from either of those speedy Arris modems (686Mbps and 1400Mbps)?

Eventually your cable company will stop supporting the modem, meaning you will have to get a new one. Not speed, but bandwidth. Modern modems have much more bandwidth with more channels. https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... fe-devices

They require upgrading at some point because your old inefficient modem is causing issues in the network.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 pm

depressed wrote:

I've always owned my own cable modem. A few years ago Comcast communicated that my modem would soon become unsupported, and that I should upgrade to a newer model. I bought one of the modems on the recommended list, and then a funny thing happened. Based on speed checks, my download speed was actually higher using my old obsolete model than when I installed the new modem. It's been a few years, and that new & improved modem is in the closet and I'm still using the obsolete modem.

kinless

Post by kinless » Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Ha, just my luck. I had ordered the SB8200 on May 1st after seeing the price "drop" to $169. Was getting tired of all the notices from Cox that it was essential to to "upgrade" even though my internet plan didn't necessarily need it. Too bad Amazon killed their price guarantee policy.

The new modem seems to work just as well as the 8 year-old SB6121 that was replaced, so no complaints about reliability thus far.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue May 14, 2019 1:10 pm

kinless wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm
Ha, just my luck. I had ordered the SB8200 on May 1st after seeing the price "drop" to $169. Was getting tired of all the notices from Cox that it was essential to to "upgrade" even though my internet plan didn't necessarily need it. Too bad Amazon killed their price guarantee policy.

The new modem seems to work just as well as the 8 year-old SB6121 that was replaced, so no complaints about reliability thus far.
Citi cards provide price protection for 60 days via Citi Price Rewind.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

depressed

Post by depressed » Tue May 14, 2019 1:13 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:01 pm
depressed wrote:

Eventually your cable company will stop supporting the modem, meaning you will have to get a new one. Not speed, but bandwidth. Modern modems have much more bandwidth with more channels. https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... fe-devices

They require upgrading at some point because your old inefficient modem is causing issues in the network.
I see. I sounds like a kind of Tragedy of the Commons issue. I'll probably order one of the Arris modems today while they're on sale. Many thanks!

kinless

Post by kinless » Tue May 14, 2019 1:21 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:10 pm
Citi cards provide price protection for 60 days via Citi Price Rewind.
Yeah I use that on occasion for personal purchases. But this was with my Chase Business card which doesn't offer such things. Since the modem's already activated and installed I don't want to hassle with returns/repurchasing just to save $40. It'll be partially written off as a business expense so it's not a terrible tragedy, just bemoaning my impeccable timing skills.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 pm

rj342 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am
Thanks.
Yes, you can get telephony modem for Comcast such as this one
http://www.motorolacable.com/mt7711/?gc ... gL7AfD_BwE

Their monthly modem rental fees are ridiculous.

Topic Author
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 pm

depressed wrote:
The main thing is the number of channels. The fewer your modem supports, the more crowded the channels are that you can actually use, and the more likely you'll have service issues during very heavy usage periods in your neighborhood. My service is capped at 100Mbps by my old router, but I use the SB8200 because it has 32 channels. Absolutely overkill, but I only buy a new cable modem about every decade or so, so I try to buy as far into the curve as I can.

depressed

Post by depressed » Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 pm
depressed wrote:
The main thing is the number of channels. The fewer your modem supports, the more crowded the channels are that you can actually use, and the more likely you'll have service issues during very heavy usage periods in your neighborhood. My service is capped at 100Mbps by my old router, but I use the SB8200 because it has 32 channels. Absolutely overkill, but I only buy a new cable modem about every decade or so, so I try to buy as far into the curve as I can.
Ah, that's interesting. Thanks!

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm

That's a good price on the 8200, I have it for gigabit Internet and it works well. Don't pay any mind to the "capable of 10 gbit" thing because the link to the local LAN is only 1 gbit, even running both ports you are only going to get 2 gbit into your local network maximum and unless you are running 5 gbit or 10 gbit ethernet (which almost no one is at home) you wouldn't benefit from faster than 1 gbit anyway.