Dale Carnegie training

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD1967

Dale Carnegie training

Post by JD1967 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Hello everyone ... hoping to get feedback on Dale Carnegie training ... was it useful or not ... etc .. any/all input welcomed ... thanks in advance

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Dale Carnegie training

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sat May 11, 2019 8:27 pm

JD1967:

I took the Dale Carnegie course many years ago. It was the best adult training course I ever took. Very useful. I later became a speech teacher for the American Institute of Banking.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Sat May 11, 2019 8:31 pm

I took it many years ago. To me it is like a full service broker. Very valuable for the trainers. Save your money and time.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sat May 11, 2019 8:40 pm

I did it with my son when he was 17 and he is now 30. It was a great bonding experience. I learnt a lot. I learnt a lot from my son as well.

So all around it was a great experience.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:59 am

I took it and didn’t find it useful. The material they taught was obvious. If your personality is such that you can use what is taught, I don’t feel like the class would be required- you could just read a book on the subjects

robphoto

Post by robphoto » Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Warren Buffet credits it as critical to him; it got him over his fear of public speaking. My Dad took it as a company sponsored thing, he found it useful.

I could be worthwhile for you; you could also get the concepts by reading Dale Carnegie's books, which are probably available at your public library. The course itself is probably useful for the interaction and practice.

cableguy

Post by cableguy » Sun May 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Google Dale Carnegie's Golden Book. That's still a go to read for me a few times a year. Takes minutes to read, its common sense, and its free online...

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Dale Carnegie's 30 Principles to Win Friends and Influence People"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun May 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Bogleheads:

These are Dale Carnegie's 30 Principles To Win Friends & Influence People:

1. Don't Criticize, Condemn or Complain
2. Give Honest, Sincere, Appreciation
3. Arouse In The Other Person An Eager Want
4. Become Genuinely Interested In Other People
5. Smile
6. Remember That A Person's Name Is To That Person The Sweetest And Most Important Sound In Any Language
7. Be A Good Listener. Encourage Others To Talk About Themselves
8. Talk In Terms Of The Other Person's Interests
9. Make The Other Person Feel Important - And Do It Sincerely
10. The Only Way To Get The Best Of An Argument Is To Avoid It
11. Show Respect For The Other Person's Opinion. Never Say, "You're Wrong."
12. If You Are Wrong Admit It Quickly And Emphatically
13. Begin In A Friendly Manner
14. Get The Other Person Saying "Yes, Yes"
15. Let The Other Person Do A Great Deal Of The Talking
16. Let The Other Person Feel That The Idea Is His Or Hers
17. Try Honestly To See Things From The Other Person's Point Of View
18. Be Sympathetic With The Other Person's Ideas And Desires
19. Appeal To The Nobler Motives
20. Dramatize Your Ideas
21. Throw Down A Challenge
22. Begin With Praise And Honest Appreciation
23. Call Attention To People's Mistakes Indirectly
24. Talk About Your Own Mistakes Before Criticizing The Other Person
25. Ask Questions Instead Of Giving Direct Orders
26. Let The Other Person Save Face
27. Praise The Slightest Improvement And Praise Every Improvement. Be "Hearty In Your Approbation And Lavish In Your Praise".
28. Give The Other Person A Fine Reputation To Live Up To
29. Use Encouragement. Make The Fault Seem Easy To Correct
30. Make The Other Person Happy About Doing The Thing You Suggest

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun May 12, 2019 5:31 pm

cableguy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:33 pm
Google Dale Carnegie's Golden Book. That's still a go to read for me a few times a year. Takes minutes to read, its common sense, and its free online...
interesting. I liked this bit:
Cultivate a mental attitude that will bring you peace and happiness:
3. Expect Ingratitude
In spades.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun May 12, 2019 5:44 pm

I took the course many years ago, and it helped me. It only helps you if you go into it with the attitude you want to improve yourself. Like any training, if you do not apply the lessons learned fairly quickly, the training is lost.

They do require quite a bit of public speaking about personal experiences. I encouraged a gay woman who reported to me to take the course, and she felt the course required revealing too much of her personal life, more than she was comfortable with; she dropped out after a couple sessions. I have to say though, that was not my personal experience. Like any training or education, a lot of it comes down to the instructor.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm

I haven't taken the class but I have read the book. Carnegie helped me realize how off-putting my manner can be. Additionally, his teachings on persuasion have directly helped me in business, mostly be learning how to get buy-in from disparate people across a big, slow bureaucracy in order to push my projects forward.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm

cableguy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:33 pm
If you don't want to give the Dale Carnegie website your email info, those same principles are available here: Culture | Dale Carnegie Training Scroll down to "Principles To Live By"/

They are identical to Taylor Larimore's post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Sun May 12, 2019 8:07 pm

Post by robphoto » Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Warren Buffet credits it as critical to him; it got him over his fear of public speaking.
If you want to improve your public speaking, Toastmasters

https://www.toastmasters.org/

is another option. Rather than a fixed course length, Toastmasters has recurring meetings that allow you to focus on areas of improvement. You receive positive feedback from other participants and may progress at your own pace.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sun May 12, 2019 8:17 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm
I haven't taken the class but I have read the book. Carnegie helped me realize how off-putting my manner can be. Additionally, his teachings on persuasion have directly helped me in business, mostly be learning how to get buy-in from disparate people across a big, slow bureaucracy in order to push my projects forward.
+1 I read the book in my early 20's (thank goodness), and it was life changing. It's been very helpful for a successful career and overall happiness.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue May 14, 2019 11:14 am

JD1967 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:21 pm
Hello everyone ... hoping to get feedback on Dale Carnegie training ... was it useful or not ... etc .. any/all input welcomed ... thanks in advance
I took it and thought the internal reflection was valuable (not necessarily the exact materials). I recommend it for entry level employees that may need some reflection on their delivery in the workplace. My companies have usually paid for it. I think you need to be open to some internal reflection for the class to have value for you. Some people are and some people aren’t. When I suggested it to a colleague (not direct report) he immediately declined and informed that classes like that are a waste of time. In my opinion, he was more in need of practicing the Carnegie principles than just about anyone I’ve ever met. YMMV.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 am

After my dad was discharged from the service in 1945 he took the Dale Carnegie course. He told me it helped him as a salesman; he ran his own business for about 45 years and did very well.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 14, 2019 1:27 pm

I took a course about 20 years ago and although I found the teaching method/teacher a little off putting, the lessons I learned were really valuable and have served me well throughout my career. One of the things I always struggled with was remembering names in a large group setting especially when out on the road. The Dale Carnegie technique allowed me to memorize names quickly and easily. I also regularly use many of their conversation techniques listed above and have noticed that I am much more effective than I was. Some of my peers that never took the course always seemed amazed at what I can get other people to do that they weren't able to.

The only complaint I had was the teaching method and that may have been more the instructor than the method but since I only took one course, I can't say for sure. Our instructor spoke to us like we were children the entire time instead of mature professionals. It was hard at times to focus on the message and not the messenger. Would I do it again, absolutely but wouldn't go with the same instructor.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:51 pm

21. Throw down a challenge.

Why do this? I don’t understand.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue May 14, 2019 3:10 pm

I took it through my employer years ago. Because of it, I was able to be mindful of my body language while being interviewed at the US embassy back in my home country. I got the US visa (most people got denied), and now I am a US citizen! Not saying it was the only reason of course, but it had contributed to my confidence that day.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 pm

BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Took the class and read the books. Very useful for an engineer that went into sales and marketing for a few years.

KlangFool

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue May 14, 2019 9:35 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Took the class and read the books. Very useful for an engineer that went into sales and marketing for a few years.

KlangFool
I think it's especially useful for engineers who plan to stay in engineering. These skills are in short supply in this profession.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 am

I had managers who would do this. I never reacted well and always felt I was being played. I react much better with honesty and an explanation of need and benefits instead of a challenge wrapped in flattery.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed May 15, 2019 7:32 am

I found it to be a waste of time. It was painfully cheesy.