Brother in law using our address

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
happysteward

Brother in law using our address

Post by happysteward » Sat May 11, 2019 11:04 am

My brother in law is in , let’s say, a transitionary period of life, no job, renting a place he can’t afford, generally not dependable in many spheres. Entering into this phase he needed a forwarding address for his mail, and with permission he used and continues to use our address for forwarding his mail...my wife then hands his mail to him every month or so. There have been some bills that seem past due, unpaid, etc, can’t be sure...is there risk for my wife and I allowing him to use our address?
"How much money is enough?", John Rockefeller responded, "...just a little bit more."

milo minderbinder

Re: Brother in law using our address

Post by milo minderbinder » Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 am

It is unlikely that there is any financial risk. You do run the risk of bill collectors finding your phone number and hounding you relentlessly.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 11, 2019 11:17 am

If he does things like registers cars at your address that could cause problems if;

1) He is doing that to get lower registration fees, or to have the car registered in a different state.

2) Your car/homeowners insurance or umbrella policy could be based on the number of cars you have and that car might be counted as an additional car.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat May 11, 2019 11:18 am

Watty wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:17 am
2) Your car/homeowners insurance or umbrella policy could be based on the number of cars you have and that car might be counted as an additional car.
I don't think so, not if the car is not regularly parked at the house or driven by people in the house.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 am

happysteward wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:04 am
My brother in law is in , let’s say, a transitionary period of life, no job, renting a place he can’t afford, generally not dependable in many spheres. Entering into this phase he needed a forwarding address for his mail, and with permission he used and continues to use our address for forwarding his mail...my wife then hands his mail to him every month or so. There have been some bills that seem past due, unpaid, etc, can’t be sure...is there risk for my wife and I allowing him to use our address?
why is she only handing him "his mail to him every month or so"? Since most bills are due monthly she could be sabotaging his credit rating by giving him a bill late or not enough time to schedule payment, etc. Why isn't she handing him his bills as they come in?

If he doesn't pay bills on time, bill collectors could try to hound you (especially if he gave out your phone number or it's listed, etc). I've seen this happen to others. Collectors try to go after family members to collect if they can't get blood from a stone.

When he moves out, make sure he completes a change of address with the post office so you don't keep getting his mail. I've seen this a dozen times. People screw themselves because they don't pay their bills timely because the mail is going to an old address, etc. Sometimes you've got to teach people the steps they should take to be a responsible adult. Can't tell you the number of people I've dealt with who don't even know you're supposed to fill out a change of address form with the post office.

This doesn't change the fact, he's also got to change his address with his credit cards, banks, etc (anyone he does business with) because the post office will only forward his mail for so many months (6 maybe?). After that if he hasn't changed his address with the companies he does business with, it's his own fault if his bills go to an your address.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat May 11, 2019 11:43 am

When I was in my 20's I was moving around constantly. I used my brother's address for important
mail and picked it up every Saturday. I probably moved at least once a year and some years
more than that. I was pretty good about paying my bill back then.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Perhaps get him a P.O. Box, no issues if any, for you.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Op Use Spoeko to see who is listed on your address, private sector has a dossier on everyone. If he is not responsible make sure whatever he does, won't impact you and your wife.

good luck

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat May 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Sounds like you are looking for a good reason to cut him off.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat May 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Quite the nervous bunch here. But I guess better to know worst case situation. Both my SIL's use our address as their mailing address. I have no issues with continuing to allow this. I actually saw a couple of collections notices. But other than the actual piece of mail, there have been no consequence.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:12 pm

snackdog wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:09 pm
Sounds like you are looking for a good reason to cut him off.
If he has an arrest record and a conviction, sorry if I come across harsh, I would.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sat May 11, 2019 1:08 pm

milo minderbinder wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 am
It is unlikely that there is any financial risk. You do run the risk of bill collectors finding your phone number and hounding you relentlessly.
This is what I would be concerned about. My life is too short to subject myself to bill collectors of any type.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:34 pm

I still do this for close friends or family if required. The other possible occurrence that has happened twice to me, and once to a friend is process servers attempting to do service of process, usually for debt lawsuits. I drove them away by saying the person does not live here. In my friend's case she wrote to the court stating that the person no longer lived in America.