Best way to kill poison ivy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CobraKai

Best way to kill poison ivy

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 8:16 am

I've had a bit of an issue with it in recent years. I've used the Roundup poison ivy killer, which works, but I've read stuff about it possibly causing cancer and other ailments. Is there a way to use this stuff safely or are there better alternatives?

The Wizard

Re: Best way to kill poison ivy

Post by The Wizard » Sat May 11, 2019 8:20 am

Ortho makes a poison ivy & brush killler in a 24 oz spray bottle that works well. I don't think it's glyphosate (Roundup) but I'd have to check...
Attempted new signature...

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:10 am

I use 2-4D herbicide....Read directions...

Summit

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 10:04 am

The Wizard wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:20 am
Ortho makes a poison ivy & brush killler in a 24 oz spray bottle that works well. I don't think it's glyphosate (Roundup) but I'd have to check...
They sell it at Home Depot but don't list the ingredients on the site. I'll have to stop in and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 10:04 am

Summit111 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:10 am
I use 2-4D herbicide....Read directions...

Summit
Thanks

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 am

I use the higher concentrate of Roundup (purple cap). I have a pretty good crop of poison ivy, english ivy and wild grape vines every year. It is more effective if you use a surfactant ("spreader-sticker") with it to get even application and adherence. I add 1 tablespoon of surfactant per gallon. Some say that a little dish soap will do the same but I find the surfactant works better.

I use rubber gloves and a mask.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am

In my area there are companies that rent goats that will eat pretty much everything. They come in and put up temporary fences and leave the goats there for a week or so.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 10:15 am

jebmke wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 am
I use the higher concentrate of Roundup (purple cap). I have a pretty good crop of poison ivy, english ivy and wild grape vines every year. It is more effective if you use a surfactant ("spreader-sticker") with it to get even application and adherence. I add 1 tablespoon of surfactant per gallon. Some say that a little dish soap will do the same but I find the surfactant works better.

A full face mask or the one that covers nose and mouth?

Roundup definitely works but I've read some articles that claim it's dangerous.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am

Watty wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am
In my area there are companies that rent goats that will eat pretty much everything. They come in and put up temporary fences and leave the goats there for a week or so.
I have read about that! I bet it's not cheap tho.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 11, 2019 10:22 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am
Watty wrote:
I have read about that! I bet it's not cheap tho.
It is hard to compare it to just spraying ivy with an herbicide. The difference is that after you spray ivy you may end up with big mounds of dead ivy that you would have to do something with. With goats the ivy is gone and the ground has been fertilized.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat May 11, 2019 10:44 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:15 am
jebmke wrote:

It is potentially dangerous with heavy use; the situation in the lawsuit involved people who sprayed large areas regularly as part of a job, not occasional light home usage. I mix a small amount in a spray bottle from concentrate and spray as a stream so it does not vaporize in the air. My take at least, you’ve got to be comfortable with how you would use it of course.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Sat May 11, 2019 10:48 am

I keep on top of it by pulling out any baby plants as soon as I see them. They mostly come in our yard via bird droppings below our oak tree. But I pull them out by hand at the root, one of the easiest plants to pull ever, if I have a plastic glove or otherwise I wrap it with a loose oak leaf and pull it out that way so as not to touch it. Apparently your skin’s sensitivity increases with exposure, so even if your skin tolerates it for years, when you are older it can start reacting. No chemicals for me. All they do is kill everything else and did little against the poison ivy.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sat May 11, 2019 10:50 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:44 am
It is potentially dangerous with heavy use; the situation in the lawsuit involved people who sprayed large areas regularly as part of a job, not occasional light home usage...
+1
Retired 2018 | Every day I choose how I spend my energy | One Vanguard TDF except for bunch of individual stocks = Still recovering from my Fidelity AUM days years ago | Now sleeping well at night

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 11, 2019 10:55 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:15 am
jebmke wrote:

Just nose and mouth; I typically am spot spraying since I have a lot of "good vegetation" that I don't want to kill off. I always wear safety glasses when I work outside too. Just a habit I got into. Easier to wear them all the time than try to remember to wear them specific times.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:01 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:16 am
I've had a bit of an issue with it in recent years. I've used the Roundup poison ivy killer, which works, but I've read stuff about it possibly causing cancer and other ailments. Is there a way to use this stuff safely or are there better alternatives?
Spray on the weeds and not on yourself and you will be fine.

not4me

Post by not4me » Sat May 11, 2019 11:55 am

angelescrest wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:48 am
I keep on top of it by pulling out any baby plants as soon as I see them. They mostly come in our yard via bird droppings below our oak tree. But I pull them out by hand at the root, one of the easiest plants to pull ever, if I have a plastic glove or otherwise I wrap it with a loose oak leaf and pull it out that way so as not to touch it. Apparently your skin’s sensitivity increases with exposure, so even if your skin tolerates it for years, when you are older it can start reacting. No chemicals for me. All they do is kill everything else and did little against the poison ivy.
Pulling by hand is probably the best way. Before I explain why I think that, I'll say that Roundup is (I expect) a more common approach & isn't a problem if "used as directed". It won't be enough to kill nearby trees, although it will get smaller plants that are touched by it.

Think about poison ivy sending out vines across the ground -- this may even be under fallen leaves & not immediately visible. Every so often where it touches the ground, it sends down roots ( & more or else starts a new plant). Even if the above ground portion is removed, a new plant will rise from the root. That is why mowers, goats, etc are short term measures. Suppose a neighbor has some near your property line...it will run into your yard. You may not notice it & mow, leaves may cover in the fall, But it keeps putting down roots & underground is spreading. Spring comes & it looks like a real outbreak suddenly. Roundup does get into the plant & go down to the root & that will take care of that plant.

A word of caution. Reactions to poison ivy is due to a liquid in the sap -- could be leaf, stem, root, whatever. It is kinda oily & doesn't really evaporate. So, after the plant seems dead, you can still get that liquid on you. Some make it even worse by trying to burn the plant. This just gets the liquid into the smoke & it becomes airborne.

whomever

Post by whomever » Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm

I don't live in poison ivy country, but have relatives who do. They get poison ivy mingled with normal ivy they don't want to kill. They use a small paintbrush to paint the occasional poison ivy leaf with a dab of Roundup, and apparently it kills the whole poison ivy plant while leaving the intermingled good ivy. If you want to minimize the amount you use that would seem to be the way.

(from memory, apologies if my senility is putting out misinformation)

celia

Post by celia » Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm

Watty wrote:
With ivy, the roots are the problem. I doubt goats would eat the roots when the surface greenery is easy to eat.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Jurors are not selected for their expertise in medical science, and personal injury attorneys are amoral. If you were comfortable using Roundup before nothing a jury says should change your mind.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 12:31 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Jurors are not selected for their expertise in medical science, and personal injury attorneys are amoral. If you were comfortable using Roundup before nothing a jury says should change your mind.
They're not any less ignorant than I am tho. :)

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Kenkat wrote:
It is potentially dangerous with heavy use; the situation in the lawsuit involved people who sprayed large areas regularly as part of a job, not occasional light home usage. I mix a small amount in a spray bottle from concentrate and spray as a stream so it does not vaporize in the air. My take at least, you’ve got to be comfortable with how you would use it of course.
That's the thing, I noticed it tends to vaporizes in the air if there is ANY wind whatsoever.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 12:35 pm

whomever wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm
I don't live in poison ivy country, but have relatives who do. They get poison ivy mingled with normal ivy they don't want to kill. They use a small paintbrush to paint the occasional poison ivy leaf with a dab of Roundup, and apparently it kills the whole poison ivy plant while leaving the intermingled good ivy. If you want to minimize the amount you use that would seem to be the way.

Very interesting, I usually soak the plant, thinking that is necessary to take it down.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Sat May 11, 2019 12:45 pm

This from Michigan State University, Ag Dept

If you prefer not to use a herbicide product, sprinkling borax powder on the foliage is a control option. This should kill the plant in 3 weeks. You may need to perform this treatment for more than one growing season. Although applying salt water to poison ivy can kill it, salt water will also kill other plants and contaminate the soil.

Another option would be, if the location and size allows, cover with black plastic for a number of weeks. Works for most any weed control.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:24 pm

whomever wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Yes, this works great. It's the way I do it too. Roundup and similar weedkillers must be absorbed through the leaves of the plant to work properly.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Sat May 11, 2019 2:31 pm

[/quote] It is potentially dangerous with heavy use; the situation in the lawsuit involved people who sprayed large areas regularly as part of a job, not occasional light home usage. I mix a small amount in a spray bottle from concentrate and spray as a stream so it does not vaporize in the air. My take at least, you’ve got to be comfortable with how you would use it of course. [/quote]

3 lawsuits in California have gone to trial so far. The first involved a plaintiff who used it for about 2.5 years, $289M verdict reduced to just under $80. Also a man who used it for decades and a couple who used it for decades.

Glyphosate interferes with aromatase enzymes involved in photosynthetic respiration. Monsanto (now Bayer) claimed it couldn’t harm animals because we don’t have metabolic pathways for photosynthesis. But glyphosate is a chelator that attacks magnesium which humans need in trace amounts. So it makes intuitive sense that it would take a long time to manifest and be involved in haemopoietic disorders.

A goat would be awesome. I’d also consider boiling water and/or citric oil concentrates.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat May 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Tribonian wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:31 pm
So it makes intuitive sense that it would take a long time to manifest and be involved in haemopoietic disorders.
Intuitive sense doesn’t cut it. You have to do experiments to confirm your conjectures - double-blind is best.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Sat May 11, 2019 3:06 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:49 pm
Tribonian wrote:
So it makes intuitive sense that it would take a long time to manifest and be involved in haemopoietic disorders.
Intuitive sense doesn’t cut it. You have to do experiments to confirm your conjectures - double-blind is best.
Cuts it for me. Not a researcher, pathologist or medical professional and don’t have the time, resources or ethical freedom to conduct experimentation on animals or their cells. But the general science available to the public is enough for me to decide to steer very clear from glyphosate. YMMV

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat May 11, 2019 4:30 pm

I vote for Roundup.

www.roundupreadyplus.com/resourcecenter ... herbicides

Just this one page from 2016 shows the agricultural application rates of up to 64 ounces per acre. Multiply that half gallon by 100s or 1000s of acres and any one farm - or worker - would be exposed to a train load or ship load of the stuff over the years. I don't know how many times they spray a year, but it adds up quickly.

I dribble it on dandelions and such as needed, including poison ivy, oak, etc. Painting works for the climbers. I seldom use more than 2 ounces a year mixed in water for 2 acres. Using the little Roundup sprayer with the hose I can get the nozzle an inch or two away from the target.

RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist » Sat May 11, 2019 4:36 pm

The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for any commercial product is available online- just search for "MSDS Roundup". MSDS's aren't perfect, but they give you an idea. Check out the recommended precautions. Chemicals are absorbed through the skin, and you need the correct type glove. The MSDS only lists "known" hazardous chemicals, according to US rules. Safety regulations in Europe are more comprehensive.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sat May 11, 2019 5:34 pm

I had a tree expert in to do tree work and asked him. He said 2-4D herbicide. Ortho makes it, but do not get the version that also kills broadleaf weeds. It worked fine. The tree expert said to do a second treatment if any remained or were difficult to get rid of. That also was successful. Finding the plain Ortho 2-4D was the most difficult part. Agway carries it, but Home Depot only have the variety with the additive for broadleaf weeds.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sat May 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Tribonian wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:06 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:49 pm
Tribonian wrote:
Cuts it for me. Not a researcher, pathologist or medical professional and don’t have the time, resources or ethical freedom to conduct experimentation on animals or their cells. But the general science available to the public is enough for me to decide to steer very clear from glyphosate. YMMV
Intuition leads many down the wrong path. See https://www.quackwatch.org/

That being said, I would certainly not drink or bathe in Roundup or 2-4D.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat May 11, 2019 7:50 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Kenkat wrote:
That's the thing, I noticed it tends to vaporizes in the air if there is ANY wind whatsoever.
I use a Zep Spray Bottle which allows me to set it to a stream instead of a spray:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/zep-32-oz-plas ... bIQAvD_BwE

I mix one with Roundup (I use KillzAll actually) and one with Weed-B-Gon to spot treat all season.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat May 11, 2019 10:42 pm

+1 to Brush Be Gone. I used 8 gallons :shock: to take out dangerous sumac in a corner of my yard. Best to let chemicals do the work. Follow the directions, wear gloves etc.

For big jobs, buy the concentrate and a sprayer. It's far cheaper.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 pm

I am not surprised to learn that an herbicide like glyphosate (aka "Roundup") may cause cancer. What organic chemistry weedkiller does not?

Heck, even my power cords have labels that warn me that the State of California has determined that the power cords may cause cancer if touched.

When using any herbicide, just follow these simple rules:

1.) Read the label directions, follow the label directions.
2.) Use the least amount you can.
3.) Always wear gloves, even if you don't expect to touch it with your skin.
4.) Don't allow any product to touch your skin, see #3.
5.) Avoid making an aerosol with the product, and avoid breathing any fumes/spray.
6.) Use safety goggles if needed.
7.) Do you really need to use the herbicide, or is there a safer, better method?

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 pm
Heck, even my power cords have labels that warn me that the State of California has determined that the power cords may cause cancer if touched.
I've noticed that?! I was looking for a door threshold and couldn't fidn one at Home Depot without that warning. Do you take those warnings seriously?

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:50 pm
CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Kenkat wrote:
I use a Zep Spray Bottle which allows me to set it to a stream instead of a spray:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/zep-32-oz-plas ... bIQAvD_BwE

I mix one with Roundup (I use KillzAll actually) and one with Weed-B-Gon to spot treat all season.
LOL what a coincidence. I bought the exact same one today at Home Depot! I was going to mix it with vinegar and dish soap as someone claimed that can kill poison ivy.

CJC000

Post by CJC000 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:15 pm

The best product for this plant is Crossbow Herbicide (unless you live in CA)
Ingredients: 2,4-D, butoxyethyl ester 34.4% and Triclopyr, butoxyethyl ester 16.5%
Roundup is ineffective unless used in high concentrations

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat May 11, 2019 11:33 pm

CJC000 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:15 pm
The best product for this plant is Crossbow Herbicide (unless you live in CA)
Ingredients: 2,4-D, butoxyethyl ester 34.4% and Triclopyr, butoxyethyl ester 16.5%
Roundup is ineffective unless used in high concentrations
this also works well. The ester forms of the chemicals are more prone to drift so you need to be more careful in application if you are near plants that you want to protect.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:08 pm
criticalmass wrote:
I've noticed that?! I was looking for a door threshold and couldn't fidn one at Home Depot without that warning. Do you take those warnings seriously?
No.

These are "Prop. 65" warnings. Many years ago, well intentioned folks passed an initiative requiring a warning about chemicals known to cause cancer. But for various reasons the whole thing spiraled out of control to the point that this warning is found on just about everything now. I saw it on a package of cookies last week. It's pretty much meaningless at this point.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Teague wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm
CobraKai wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
No.

These are "Prop. 65" warnings. Many years ago, well intentioned folks passed an initiative requiring a warning about chemicals known to cause cancer. But for various reasons the whole thing spiraled out of control to the point that this warning is found on just about everything now. I saw it on a package of cookies last week. It's pretty much meaningless at this point.
Cookies? Are you serious?

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:54 pm
Teague wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm
CobraKai wrote:
criticalmass wrote:
No.

Cookies? Are you serious?
Yes, seriously. One issue is that as laboratory science has progressed, the limit of detection has become so minute that one can find some trace of nearly any chemical anywhere they look. Some lawyers make a living suing businesses that do not post the prop. 65 warning, and there is no penalty for posting an unnecessary warning. So the result of that is, among other things, hazmat-type warnings on packages of cookies.
Semper Augustus

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 am

{The topic is straying off course. The question is how to kill poison ivy and not Prop 65.}

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 am

jbranx wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 am
{The topic is straying off course. The question is how to kill poison ivy and not Prop 65.}
The best way is forget herbicides and to use long gloves and clothing covering all skin possible. Manually rip out the entire plant, roots and all. Use shears to cut very thick vines that can’t be pulled. Bury or safely dispose the poison ivy. Have a hose and preferably a helper ready to wash off the gloves as necessary when removing. Rinse off any tools.

Then take a shower and immediately wash clothes used.

Even better find someone not allergic to poison ivy to do this.

Poison ivy requires effective precautions but it isn’t the boogeyman. Be vigilant, not afraid. It can only cause an allergic reaction if the urushiol touches the body.

Never burn it because the usrushiol won’t be destroyed in a normal burning, then it can be deadly in smoke.

Otherwise, poison ivy is just a nuisance that requires care. I’m far more concerned about Giant Hogweed, which is an invasive extremely hazardous plant now spreading in the USA after its introduction from Asia, where it is a native species.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am

criticalmass wrote:
I am not surprised to learn that an herbicide like glyphosate (aka "Roundup") may cause cancer. What organic chemistry weedkiller does not?

When using any herbicide, just follow these simple rules:

1.) Read the label directions, follow the label directions.
2.) Use the least amount you can.
3.) Always wear gloves, even if you don't expect to touch it with your skin.
4.) Don't allow any product to touch your skin, see #3.
5.) Avoid making an aerosol with the product, and avoid breathing any fumes/spray.
6.) Use safety goggles if needed.
7.) Do you really need to use the herbicide, or is there a safer, better method?
I would add, for the safety of your loved ones, label the sprayer with the name of the chemical and the final concentration. Make sure that if you use up all the mixture that you make, rinse the sprayer throughly before storing or reusing. (Folks pass away with unlabeled mixtures of things in their workshop, attic, or basement.) Store all chemicals in an area that cannot be accessed by kids. If it is a herbicide it is not good for you.

BTW, I'm a chemist.