Computer issues, fix vs replace

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nursebee

Computer issues, fix vs replace

Post by 4nursebee » Sat May 11, 2019 3:44 am

My computer for a second time is giving me heartache. Text on the screen is screwy on most web pages, reloading the page helps but not for long. Frustrating to use. Basically half of each letter disappears. Last time I removed an update and the computer went back to normal. This time I can't clearly find the update though some windows defender files had updated, also it was when a Schwab update occurred. I think the computer is from 2016, AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 compute cores 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ, 12 GHz is what shows up as being the bones of things.

I am willing to consider many things. Previously we just bought new when things get wacky. We follow the markets using Schwab platforms with 10% or so of our funds in individual stocks. We use google sheets monthly for tracking of expenses. No camera. Wireless capable printing. 27 inch screen. Some video watching, news stuff. My spouse would NOT likely easily transition to a pad, I certainly prefer a good functioning keyboard for receipt tracking. I would miss the 27 inch screen, have it set at a nice height, 18 inches above the keyboard. No gaming. Some photo storage. We use chrome.

Any ideas on fixing?

Any idea on replacement? What to get?

I'd consider apple ipad except for the screen height preference.
Chromebook would have the same screen height issues.
A replacement small mini box computer might be ideal though we plug camera cards and other memory devices in, not sure those have the same ability.
REplacing a computer from 2016 seems a waste.
Our computer is a big box, going smaller would make things neater, free up storage.

Thanks
4nursebee

bluebolt

Re: Computer issues, fix vs replace

Post by bluebolt » Sat May 11, 2019 4:26 am

You could try backing up all your files and doing an OS reinstall. Assuming it's not a hardware problem, that should fix many issues.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 am

That's frustrating. I think I'd want a computer tech (got a wiz in the family?) good with windows to look at it before I gave up and got new hardware.

I have a couple questions that might be helpful.

Is the text "screwy" on just your web pages or on all applications?

If just the web pages, maybe it's a browser add-on or the browser that's the problem.

If all applications display "screwy" text, Is the display resolution set to the same as the monitor's? It might be a font rendering issue.

Posting more detail here will help, but I'm thinking a geek sitting down with your computer will get you fixed up quicker.

Good luck with it.

student

Post by student » Sat May 11, 2019 6:06 am

bluebolt wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:26 am
You could try backing up all your files and doing an OS reinstall. Assuming it's not a hardware problem, that should fix many issues.
+1. If you buy a new computer, you have to transfer your files too. Of course this takes longer as your computer has to download all the updates. Last time I did it, it took a day.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat May 11, 2019 6:11 am

bluebolt wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:26 am
This. Windows is notorious for getting corrupted and bloated over time. Purchase a Window 10 Pro license from ebay and reinstall after backing up your personal files.

Pro tip: Don't ever save files to the suggested Windows default locations! Create a folder like 'private' at the root of your C: drive and keep everything in there. Makes it very easy to recover from situations such as this.

Or move to Mac. I've had the same computer for the last 5 years and it still runs like new. You can plug in a big LCD monitor if you want viewing space (just don't buy it from Apple :wink: )

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat May 11, 2019 6:21 am

I would never buy a software license from Ebay...

Sounds to me like possibly a resolution issue. Figure out the native resolution of your monitor, make sure the display resolution is set to that.

If it's fine, could be an issue with scaling or similar.

If you open Word or Windows Text Editor, and the type is fine, then it's a MINOR PROBLEM THAT CAN BE FIXED. Do NOT buy a new computer.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:21 am

Sounds to me like possibly a resolution issue. Figure out the native resolution of your monitor, make sure the display resolution is set to that.

If you open Word or Windows Text Editor, and the type is fine, then it's a MINOR PROBLEM THAT CAN BE FIXED. Do NOT buy a new computer.
Why not buy from ebay? The licenses are completely legitimate.

We upgraded our son's HP computer and the factory OEM license would no longer work. Called HP, they wouldn't help us since the computer was no longer in factory spec. Called Microsoft, they wouldn't help us since the computer was from HP.

Used license from ebay, back in business! :beer

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 am

Sounds like an iMac would be perfect for you, if you ultimately replace. You can get a 27” monitor, excellent keyboard, no tower (CPU is built into the monitor), and Apple reliability. That’s what we did. We bought refurbished from the Apple Store to save some :moneybag
As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden. In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter.—C. Gardiner

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:47 am

4nursebee wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:44 am
My computer for a second time is giving me heartache. Text on the screen is screwy on most web pages, reloading the page helps but not for long. Frustrating to use. Basically half of each letter disappears.
Thanks
Hold on here, be sure you are attacking the right thing. You say this occurs on web pages, you reload and it gets better. What occurs when you use other programs on the computer, NOT web based? Is it the same issue or no problem. If it's just the browser, uninstall then reinstall or try a different browser. Depending on outcome then start looking at doing major fixes.

Also, if a desktop, check for loose video cable connections on the monitor and at the computer.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat May 11, 2019 7:52 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:51 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

Why not buy from ebay? The licenses are completely legitimate.

We upgraded our son's HP computer and the factory OEM license would no longer work. Called HP, they wouldn't help us since the computer was no longer in factory spec. Called Microsoft, they wouldn't help us since the computer was from HP.

Used license from ebay, back in business! :beer
You can't make a blanket statement that licenses, from ebay or elsewhere, are legitimate. Even with a license acquired from Microsoft you almost need a team of attorneys to figure out what you can and can't do with it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 11, 2019 8:16 am

A couple of points.

1) The first thing you should do when your computer is getting flaky is to make sure you have a good backup. There are various ways to do this but if you don't already have a good backup then get an external hard drive for about $50 and back it up. Ask if you don't know how to back it up, the built in windows backup program is terrible and there are better free alternatives.
4nursebee wrote:
I would miss the 27 inch screen, have it set at a nice height, 18 inches above the keyboard.
2) Unless you have an "all in one" system you can keep your current monitor and just get a new computer if you decide to get one.

3) If you happened to buy it from Costco with a Costco credit card then it would likely still be under their extended warranty.

4) Try a different web browser. I prefer Chrome. Also try uninstalling your web browser and then reinstalling it. For example uninstall Chrome then reinstall it.

5) There is no need to get a new license to reinstall windows. You would want to have a good backup but a year or so ago Microsoft added the ability to automatically reinstall Window. Look for "reset this PC" in the control panels. This will take many hours to run. You may need to reinstall any programs you added.
RickBoglehead wrote:
6) Totally agree. If this only happens in your browser then it is very likely a simple fix. Even if it happens in a few different programs it could still just be a setting or driver update and not a hardware problem.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 am

This is NOT a normal computer aging problem. I agree with the suggestion to at least try a computer geek first. Look on local bulletin boards for a "computer whisperer" near you. I'm assuming if one of your nearby relatives fit this description you'd have called them before you posted here.

Another possibility that may be within your technical abilities is to back up your personal files to an external hard drive, than reset the computer back to factory settings. The big problem with this is time, since after you do this, you have to let Windows apply 3 years of updates, plus re-install all programs (assuming you have the media and licenses). But a new computer is going to take some time to migrate to as well. One of the benefits of moving to the Apple ecosystem is that migration is very easy.

Just curious, what brand/model is the old computer? Same question for the monitor, and what is the connection (HDMI, DVI, VGA)?

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 am

If it is definitely just web pages have you at least cleared the cache and maybe deleted cookies, etc. Then restart the computer just to be sure. It is a stretch but it could be just that simple.

Also, what happens on an alternative browser. There is Internet Explorer, Chrome, and FireFox that can be had. It's a long time since I have had to flee to one of those when something didn't work on the other, but it can happen.

There are still brick and mortar computer service stores. You could have someone take a look at it.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 11, 2019 8:33 am

dbr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 am
There is Internet Explorer, Chrome, and FireFox that can be had.
Microsoft replace Internet Explorer with Microsoft Edge in part because Internet Explorer was old and had so many security problems. Internet Explorer is still around but I would avoid using it.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 am

Watty wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:33 am
dbr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 am
There is Internet Explorer, Chrome, and FireFox that can be had.
Microsoft replace Internet Explorer with Microsoft Edge in part because Internet Explorer was old and had so many security problems. Internet Explorer is still around but I would avoid using it.
Right, I would too, but in any case the trouble shooting process could begin with verifying that this is only a browser display problem and then see if it persists with a different browser. I don't think the OP has confirmed that display is fine for all other applications and for the operating system itself, such as correctly displaying the desktop and any of the system operating pages.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 am

I am with Clark Howard. cheap Chromebook for all internet activities and a decent desktop to save files.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:15 am

Every computer, laptop and tablet is prone to problems and failures. Some have minor annoyances that you might be able to live with. My 2012 HP Lattitude finally overheated one too many times. Graphics processor died. No screen, no external monitor. Dead. Sold it for escrap for $15 and moved to my mom's 2009 HP that she gave me when she went completely to a tablet. It has one of the signature vertical lines on the monitor and has annoying behavior of the track pad, but it works.

Son's power MAC battery failed, overheated, expanded and destroyed the keyboard, track pad and other components. Apple was useless until during one call, the words "It burned me" came out. They immediately authorized a dropoff at an apple store for free service. We only paid for a new battery. It was at pick up that they informed us that Apple requires that the battery be replaced every year ($149). Sorry, but I've always considered Apple products to be the $1,000 solution to the $300 problem.

All these computers are junk.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat May 11, 2019 9:22 am

Try installing and using a different browser. If that doesn't work backup your files and do a clean OS reinstall. From your description it sounds like a software issue, not a hardware problem.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat May 11, 2019 3:00 pm

That's a strange problem that I do not recall ever seeing.

As noted by several, if this only occurs when using a browser installing an alternate browser is the first thing to try.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:25 pm

You may be dealing with a hardware/driver problem. Aside from updating to the latest drivers, you might try disabling hardware acceleration in Windows and/or Chrome.

how do i change hardware acceleration in windows 10

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 07fa4578c0

Restart the computer if needed and see if it helps your situation. You might not even notice any speed difference.

FIX IT.
How to disable hardware acceleration in Google Chrome
If Chrome is having problems displaying visual elements on the screen, then turning off hardware acceleration may fix the problem. Here's how.

https://pureinfotech.com/disable-hardwa ... on-chrome/

Post by 123 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:11 pm

I agree with the recommendations to try an alternate browser.

That said it sounds like a video resolution setting issue (possibly related to the refresh rate). You might want to go to the AMD website and see if they have any diagnostics software or driver updates available. You may also want to check the settings in your video monitor and make sure they match your computer. You may want to took at the video control "app" for your computer. It sounds like it was sold as a gaming computer with high performance so that would indicate there's likely a separate program to control and adjust the video settings.

Make sure that the video display and refresh rates are the same on both the computer and the monitor.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 am

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... try4736974

I just did the following and think I found the fix. This was very frustrating!

When sites were open in MS Edge, did not notice, that is what prompted to search for chrome issues
4nursebee

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon May 13, 2019 6:20 am

4nursebee wrote:
My computer for a second time is giving me heartache. Text on the screen is screwy on most web pages, reloading the page helps but not for long. Frustrating to use. Basically half of each letter disappears. Last time I removed an update and the computer went back to normal. This time I can't clearly find the update though some windows defender files had updated, also it was when a Schwab update occurred. I think the computer is from 2016, AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 compute cores 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ, 12 GHz is what shows up as being the bones of things.

I am willing to consider many things. Previously we just bought new when things get wacky. We follow the markets using Schwab platforms with 10% or so of our funds in individual stocks. We use google sheets monthly for tracking of expenses. No camera. Wireless capable printing. 27 inch screen. Some video watching, news stuff. My spouse would NOT likely easily transition to a pad, I certainly prefer a good functioning keyboard for receipt tracking. I would miss the 27 inch screen, have it set at a nice height, 18 inches above the keyboard. No gaming. Some photo storage. We use chrome.

Any ideas on fixing?

A replacement small mini box computer might be ideal though we plug camera cards and other memory devices in, not sure those have the same ability.
Our computer is a big box, going smaller would make things neater, free up storage.

Thanks
What version of Windows are you running?

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon May 13, 2019 6:33 am

4nursebee wrote:

Any ideas on fixing?

Thanks
I would replace it. So many problems would make me question security as well as the hardware of the computer I am using for carrying out financial transactions. I personally think with computers you should just spend once and buy something nice that will last you for a while. I have always bought Apple for all my personal use, and highly recommend it. It costs more initially but you don't have to worry about buying another for sometime. Mine generally last 10 years, and the only reason to then upgrade it because applications themselves are not supporting the hardware anymore not because computer died down!

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:59 am

4nursebee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 am

When sites were open in MS Edge, did not notice, that is what prompted to search for chrome issues
:sharebeer

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:04 am

Replacing a computer barely 3 years old is not likely to be necessary. My parents still use my iMac from 2006. That is 13 years for those counting. It still works fine, although it is starting to have some issues supporting the latest web standards since software updates eventually dropped support for older hardware.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon May 13, 2019 7:28 am

Simple solution. Trash the unreliable crap machine and buy a iMac. More expensive but worth the extra cost, with a iMac having 10x less silly OS hassles and both Apple hardware and software being way more reliable and easy to use over time. I'm a former 30+ year DOS/Windows power user, switched to iMac in 2013 and would never run anything but a iMac again. Still using the same 2013 laptop as my main system and for this post. I haven't spent as much as 5 minutes total having to "maintain" the OS in last 6 years.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Mon May 13, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 am

Here is something else you can try, in windows create a new local account (skip the Microsoft account part), log out of your current account and log into the new account and see if the issue continues. This will prove out if your issue is with your local account profile or not. If it does not happen on your new account, you know the issue is with settings / software on your profile and you can go from there.

If it happens on the new account, if may by an issue with the OS itself. Try a different browser, reinstall your web browser.

Last resort backup ALL your files and perform a clean install of your OS.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 am

Download linux mint on it. See how it acts. Then reload windows. Going by the specs that computer has many years of life in it. All of this is free to do.

JiyuuSensei

Post by JiyuuSensei » Mon May 13, 2019 7:47 am

Most computers that have this problem that I repaired came from people who overclocked their CPU (make it work faster than the standard settings). Did you buy your computer from a normal store (or a computer store), or did you buy it from someone else that might have tinkered with it?

Could be a multitude of different reasons, but this one is the most common one that I've seen. If this is the case it could be an easy fix in a menu configuration.

golfer292

Post by golfer292 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am

I am using a 10 year old Dell. Two years ago it started acting up( mouse would freeze up and was having slow issue. I reinstalled windows by using settings, update and security, recovery. It allowed me to choose keeping my personal files or not keeping them. I backed them up on a external drive and did a clean new installation. That solved my problems (knock on wood). Its worth a try before buying a new computer.

daektr

Post by daektr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 am

+1 to all the folks suggesting to re-install Windows. Very unlikely anything is wrong with the hardware (and even if there was, you'd try this first to find out for sure). Be a shame to toss such a recent/powerful computer just due to a software problem.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Mon May 13, 2019 9:52 am

daektr wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:14 am
+1 to all the folks suggesting to re-install Windows. Very unlikely anything is wrong with the hardware (and even if there was, you'd try this first to find out for sure). Be a shame to toss such a recent/powerful computer just due to a software problem.
Last summer, after the disasterous forced W10 version upgrade, my PC was unstable to the point of uselessness.

Aftet many uncessful.attempts to fix the problem, including rolling-back the forced upgrade, I tried reinstalling with W10's Reset Windows feature (after redundant backups, of course). The procedure left the machine without drivers for neither the Ethernet port nor the Wireless adapter, thereby rendering it incapable of connecting to the internet, even to find the missing drivers!

So, I used the original reinstall media from 2013 (Windows 7 Ultimate) and installed W7. It now runs amazingly, and "they'll have to take Windows 7 out of my cold, dead hands."

I understand support for W7 ends in January. I'll take my chances.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon May 13, 2019 1:21 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:07 am

Glad you were able to find a cost effective fix! Thanks for posting for others. Also thanks to the responder that suggested a possible hardware acceleration browser issue.