What non frugal things save money?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
unclescrooge

What non frugal things save money?

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 1:26 am

I decided to go to the bank for a wire transfer instead of doing it online.

This would cost me more time and an extra $10 in fees. But I was willing to spend this to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Having an extra set of eyes was worth it to me.

Making a mistake in a large wire to save $10 can cause a lot of grief!

As an added bonus the bank employee asked me which account I wanted to use. Apparently I had an account from 2006 with $5,000 that was dormant and I didn't even know existed! :shock:

Xrayman69

Re: What non frugal things save money?

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:52 am

Using your gym membership or activities that get your body or keep yourself fit. I know there are cheaper and “free” methods but seems physically going to a gym or walking 9 holes of golf pushing my bag is at least also enjoyable to an extent.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat May 11, 2019 9:37 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:26 am
As an added bonus the bank employee asked me which account I wanted to use. Apparently I had an account from 2006 with $5,000 that was dormant and I didn't even know existed! :shock:
You do a disservice to your avatar. Uncle Scrooge always knew where every penny was.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

FrugalProfessor

Post by FrugalProfessor » Sat May 11, 2019 10:19 am

Buy nice or by twice.

I used to be cheap. Now I'm frugal. I tend to buy nicer things now.
I blog. Taxes are the lowest hanging source of alpha.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Sat May 11, 2019 10:40 am

unclescrooge wrote:
I decided to go to the bank for a wire transfer instead of doing it online.

This would cost me more time and an extra $10 in fees. But I was willing to spend this to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Having an extra set of eyes was worth it to me.

Making a mistake in a large wire to save $10 can cause a lot of grief!

Using the " Buy Now " option on Amazon more often for smaller purchases instead of spending another 20 minutes putting items in my cart trying to find the absolute lowest price to save 3.00.Time is money

Top99%

Post by Top99% » Sat May 11, 2019 11:28 am

Buying pacific wild salmon at the grocery store is more expensive than farm raised salmon (or certainly chicken) but certainly less expensive than going out to eat for what will probably be an unhealthy meal. And I believe spending money on healthy and delicious food will pay off down the road in reduced health care costs. Shoes which cost more up front but are easier on your feet and/or re-soleable can also save money down the road.
Adapt or perish

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:28 am

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:37 am
unclescrooge wrote:
You do a disservice to your avatar. Uncle Scrooge always knew where every penny was.
My avatar is a reflection of my stinginess. Not my wealth :mrgreen:

When I was ten, I read a comic strip where Uncle Scrooge had a wall plaque that said "A penny saved is a penny earned".

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:19 am
Buy nice or by twice.

Whenever I say "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff", people correct me saying "you were never poor, just cheap".
:mrgreen:

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:28 am
You're probably doing OK if you forgot about 5k. For some that would be life-changing money, at least for a little while.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 am

Xrayman69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:52 am
Using your gym membership or activities that get your body or keep yourself fit. I know there are cheaper and “free” methods but seems physically going to a gym or walking 9 holes of golf pushing my bag is at least also enjoyable to an extent.
I paid $1,000 for 3 years of gym membership in 2005. Since then my renewal has been $99/year. It was a lot at the time, but now $99 seems like nothing. Plus my megacorp reimburses upto$300/yr.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:40 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am
unclescrooge wrote:
You're probably doing OK if you forgot about 5k. For some that would be life-changing money, at least for a little while.
I wasn't hurting for money at the time, but I wasn't rolling in it either. There were other more complicated things going on in my life at the time.

I was going through my old tax returns and my taxable income for 2008, 2009 and 2010 was -30k, 0 and -23k respectively. Could have definitely used the money then.

But I'm definitely doing ok now.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 am

unclescrooge wrote:
...Uncle Scrooge had a wall plaque that said "A penny saved is a penny earned".
I wish. In the upper tax brackets, after Federal, State, Social Security, and Medicare you have to "earn" two pennies to have one left to save.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 am

unclescrooge wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

When I was ten, I read a comic strip where Uncle Scrooge had a wall plaque that said "A penny saved is a penny earned".
If you were really stingy you would have split that large amount into a lot of small online transfers instead of spending $10 to wire it. :wink:

Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus » Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 pm

For men, good dress shoes, made from high quality leather, Goodyear welted. If you aren't paying at least 300 USD, you probably have a very inferior pair of shoes (or you found a great bargain).

While expensive, high quality leather shoes pay off long term. With cheaper shoes (approx 100-200 USD),made from inferior leather and poorly stitched, you can throw them in the trash after 1 year of usage. With high quality shoes, they can last a lifetime. Yes, you need to take care of them, and that is not free. But it's cheaper than buying new. The high quality leather can create a nice patina over time, as well.

Shoes made from higher quality leather are usually much more comfortable. It's a pleasure wearing them all day, unlike cheap shoes.

You will get a lot of compliments with a high quality shoe, trust me. Men don't really have a lot of options to impress with conservative dress, but shoes are one area that can make a big difference. You look better, people notice.

So great long term value.

I haven't bought new dress shoes in 4 years. I have about 6-7 pairs that I rotate regularly, clean and polish as needed, and get lots of compliments. Yes, the initial investment was high, but it's definitely paid off.

See here for a good breakdown: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/100-v ... shoes-men/

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 3:25 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 am
unclescrooge wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

If you were really stingy you would have split that large amount into a lot of small online transfers instead of spending $10 to wire it. :wink:
LOL.
I would've, but it was earnest money deposit in a 4plex. Didn't have a choice.

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Prahasaurus wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:22 pm
For men, good dress shoes, made from high quality leather, Goodyear welted. If you aren't paying at least 300 USD, you probably have a very inferior pair of shoes (or you found a great bargain).

While expensive, high quality leather shoes pay off long term. With cheaper shoes (approx 100-200 USD),made from inferior leather and poorly stitched, you can throw them in the trash after 1 year of usage. With high quality shoes, they can last a lifetime. Yes, you need to take care of them, and that is not free. But it's cheaper than buying new. The high quality leather can create a nice patina over time, as well.

Shoes made from higher quality leather are usually much more comfortable. It's a pleasure wearing them all day, unlike cheap shoes.

You will get a lot of compliments with a high quality shoe, trust me. Men don't really have a lot of options to impress with conservative dress, but shoes are one area that can make a big difference. You look better, people notice.

I haven't bought new dress shoes in 4 years. I have about 6-7 pairs that I rotate regularly, clean and polish as needed, and get lots of compliments. Yes, the initial investment was high, but it's definitely paid off.

See here for a good breakdown: https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/100-v ... shoes-men/
Indeed!
I open a pair of AE wingtip boots that are by far my favorite thing to wear. Unfortunately, we are a barefoot household otherwise I would never take them off.

https://bechad.com/products/allen-edmon ... ut-11-d-us

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 am
unclescrooge wrote:
I wish. In the upper tax brackets, after Federal, State, Social Security, and Medicare you have to "earn" two pennies to have one left to save.
You're confusing a penny earned with a penny saved.

A penny saved is post tax. :mrgreen:

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat May 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Prahasaurus wrote:

I've never spent close to $100 on a pair of dress shoes. I still regularly wear the pair I bought for my prom...23yrs ago. I'm sure high-end shoes are nice and they may get some added attention, but I always wonder what people are doing with there's when they say they don't last. My "cheap" dress shoes last me decades. I currently have 4 pairs, with the newest being ~3yrs old. I'm a young (38) exec in a large company, I've never had someone comment that my shoes were cheap; maybe they've thought it, but it certainly hasn't impacted my career progression.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat May 11, 2019 5:56 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 pm
JoMoney wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 am
unclescrooge wrote:
You're confusing a penny earned with a penny saved.

A penny saved is post tax. :mrgreen:
I'm not confused, Uncle Scrooge's plaque is. There is no transitive relation, a post-tax penny saved is more valuable than a pre-tax penny earned.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat May 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I worked with someone who was limping around the office for about 2 weeks. I asked what happened. He said he got hand made leather shoes and you have to break them in through the painful process of wearing them.

I just let him get on with it.
Prahasaurus wrote:

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sat May 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Time is money, they say. So we save money by paying someone to clean our house.

hidradenitis

Post by hidradenitis » Sat May 11, 2019 8:27 pm

"It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins."

-Unknown

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Xrayman69 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:52 am
+100

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 pm

hidradenitis wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:27 pm
"It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins."

-Unknown
:P

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:17 pm
Time is money, they say. So we save money by paying someone to clean our house.
Indeed. I save even more money since I got weekly cleaning service. :mrgreen:

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sat May 11, 2019 11:30 pm

Traveling by bicycle means no car rentals, train fares, or airplane tickets. Getting hosted for free saves boatloads of money on hotels (though it requires a lot of time to set-up and doesn’t always work) and let’s you live like a local.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:48 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 am
unclescrooge wrote:
My 65 year old rich friend and his wife complained that I taught his son when he was 12 years old as impressionable young man how to shop at the clearance area, the jackets were 70% off, he now in his late 38 with wife and two boys, his parents, sez their son is a cheapskate.

The 38 year old is not too far from his 65 year old dad, the fruit is not too far from the tree, and the tree, the 65 year old is a cheapskate as well his net wroth is approx 20 million.

celia

Post by celia » Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Something's wrong with that bank or their processes! Why didn't they warn you you earlier, then send the money to your state's unclaimed property? Accounts that haven't been touched for several years (3?, 5?, might be state-dependent?) are supposed to be turned over.

What if you had died and your estate did due diligence in locating all your accounts, including inquiring with the state, and this money was never located?

As for us, we recently bought a new car with lots of safety features built in, hoping it will minimize a future possible mishap (which could save expenses, health, and time).

Kayakr

Post by Kayakr » Sun May 12, 2019 7:42 am

A fiduciary financial planner versus a commissioned financial salesman.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun May 12, 2019 8:31 am

People in silicon valley spend boatloads on cost of living, but many save more than they otherwise could due to higher compensation

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 am

unclescrooge wrote:
That does not sound very frugal! How do you end up with $5K you do not know about? Have you lost gold recently. There are lots of TV shows about people loosing gold. I'm not sure how that happens . .

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun May 12, 2019 8:57 am

Cycle wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:31 am
People in silicon valley spend boatloads on cost of living, but many save more than they otherwise could due to higher compensation
Exactly.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun May 12, 2019 9:00 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Buy nice or by twice.

I agree. Nice things last twice as long. And you only have to shop once.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun May 12, 2019 9:03 am

unclescrooge wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

A penny saved is worthless unless you know where where that penny is !

Topic Author
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun May 12, 2019 9:10 am

celia wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Something's wrong with that bank or their processes! Why didn't they warn you you earlier, then send the money to your state's unclaimed property? Accounts that haven't been touched for several years (3?, 5?, might be state-dependent?) are supposed to be turned over.

What if you had died and your estate did due diligence in locating all your accounts, including inquiring with the state, and this money was never located?

As for us, we recently bought a new car with lots of safety features built in, hoping it will minimize a future possible mishap (which could save expenses, health, and time).
It was a corporate account in my name.

It doesn't show up under my login. I've been to the bank several times over the past decade and not one person mentioned it.

I'm just surprised they didn't start charging monthly fees and drain it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:50 pm
Prahasaurus wrote:

I've never spent close to $100 on a pair of dress shoes. I still regularly wear the pair I bought for my prom...23yrs ago. I'm sure high-end shoes are nice and they may get some added attention, but I always wonder what people are doing with there's when they say they don't last. My "cheap" dress shoes last me decades. I currently have 4 pairs, with the newest being ~3yrs old. I'm a young (38) exec in a large company, I've never had someone comment that my shoes were cheap; maybe they've thought it, but it certainly hasn't impacted my career progression.
My dad was a veterinarian. His everyday shoes during his working days had thick rubber soles with smooth leather tops. He certainly did not need or want $300 pair of shoes. I think you have to have a certain type of job to spend $$$ on shoes.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun May 12, 2019 9:48 am

If you don't get too carried away, good quality tools are well worth their price. In a similar way, good quality cars may be a better deal than just buying the cheapest one.

I would also argue that buying quality that will last IS frugal much of the time and that buying cheap is not always frugal.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:50 pm
Prahasaurus wrote:

My dad was a veterinarian. His everyday shoes during his working days had thick rubber soles with smooth leather tops. He certainly did not need or want $300 pair of shoes. I think you have to have a certain type of job to spend $$$ on shoes.
Oe maybe a shoe fetish? :shock: :P

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 am

1. Giving up income to raise kids that are emotionally strong
2. A house that supports my values
3. A safe car
4. A tennis racquet that protects your body
5. Shoes that protect your body
6. A tennis membership that keeps you healthy and broadens your network
7. Books
8. Philanthropy

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

I think many of the things highlighted in this thread are great examples - tools, clothing/shoes per se. Also I would put kitchen items on that list. LeCrueset and Staub cookware are excellent and when found on sale are (IMO) better than buying cheaper knockoff versions. I think with many things in the kitchen - that tends to be true in my experience...

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am

I bought LeCreuset bakeware once, or twice, or maybe three times I had to return because they cracked under pressure. Luckily I kept the receipt. Never get fooled by buying brand name items. They didn’t test it under extreme condition, I did.

moshe

Post by moshe » Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 am

Intermittent fast.

Also, "clean" keto forces you to eat much more at home as most restaurants near us add sugar to almost everything so we eat out much less often.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Sun May 12, 2019 11:01 am

FrugalProfessor wrote:
Buy nice or by twice.

"the stingy man spends the most"

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun May 12, 2019 2:07 pm

bradpevans wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:01 am
FrugalProfessor wrote:
Buy nice or by twice.

The title question is misleading.
As others have pointed out, frugal does not mean cheap.
Frugal is about value. Getting the most value for your money. And what you value most.
Frugal can mean spending more to get a good quality item that you will use for a long time. Frugal can mean NOT grabbing a bargain because you realize that something is not a bargain if you don't need it or are not going to use it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:15 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:07 pm
bradpevans wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:01 am
FrugalProfessor wrote:
Buy nice or by twice.

The title question is misleading.
As others have pointed out, frugal does not mean cheap.
Frugal is about value. Getting the most value for your money. And what you value most.
Frugal can mean spending more to get a good quality item that you will use for a long time. Frugal can mean NOT grabbing a bargain because you realize that something is not a bargain if you don't need it or are not going to use it.
This. Thank you.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 pm

My brother in law is an expert at buying older luxury cars and driving them a long time and selling for a little less than he paid. He is meticulous about maintenance and buys when he finds a good deal. Then he drives them for a few years before selling. He currently has a X5 BMW with 110K miles that he bought with 60K miles. It is still worth about what he paid. He just bought a older big MB. He figures he can drive it for 40K miles for little $$.

His daughter drives more and does a similar thing. She buys older luxury SUVs with 60K-80K miles and drives them for the next 80K+ miles. Her strategy is a nice car at a reasonable cost per mile.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

celia

Post by celia » Sun May 12, 2019 9:23 pm

GerryL wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:07 pm
Frugal can mean NOT grabbing a bargain because you realize that something is not a bargain if you don't need it or are not going to use it.
This reminds me of the time one of my kids got a certificate for a free take-out meal for reading a certain number of books. On the way home, I refused to go to their drive-thru since I would have to buy a meal for everyone else in the car while I was picking up the "free" one. (I saw this as a good marketing ploy for the company, but bad for the parents. Just give a coupon to the kids for something free, but since they can't collect on it by themselves, they can make money on the others that go along with the kid.)

Then my kids started to joke that I "was so cheap, I wouldn't even take something that was free." But I think they learned from it, since they often ignore "free" stuff too.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 pm

An Electric Dishwasher.

Preferring to hand wash dishes for all of my life, and resisting installing one in our "new" retirement home of 8 years (the hole under the cabinet is a great place for a trash can), I finally gave in and DW selected a super turbo deluxe model last year.

Yesterday, since DW is away, I used the dishwasher for the first time on my own. (had to read the instructions).
Verdict.
This is an outstanding modern convenience to get the crud off of pots and pans. :D

SCV_Lawyer

Post by SCV_Lawyer » Sun May 12, 2019 11:23 pm

If you drive a lot, buying a new EV car can actually save money. I was spending $5.5K/year in gas on driving 25K miles/year. I bought a Model 3 ($62K). Electricty for the same miles would be $800/year. But we produce excess energy from solar, so fuel costs are near zero. And the Model 3 is pretty much maintenance free. So over a 5-year period, I estimate I will save $32.5K on gas and maintenance (estimating $1k/year maintenance since the prior car was almost out of warranty). Add $10K for state/fed tax credit and $18K for trade-in, and the total 5-year out-of-pocket net cost after savings is $1,500 plus $6K sales tax, or $7.5K.

The 5-year resale value of the Tesla vs keeping my prior car for 5 more years is very likely to be > $7.5K, so buying the Tesla actually saves money over 5 years.