Page 1 of 1

Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
by bowtie
Hi,
I was reading a very informative thread on 'neighborhood recommendations' in London on this site from December 2018, as the OP was planning a trip this June.
I was wondering if there were a 'best' and 'worst' month in which to plan a visit to London for a first-time traveler from the USA. I'm thinking of weather conditions, special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
Thanks.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:55 am
by Valuethinker
bowtie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
Hi,
I was reading a very informative thread on 'neighborhood recommendations' in London on this site from December 2018, as the OP was planning a trip this June.
I was wondering if there were a 'best' and 'worst' month in which to plan a visit to London for a first-time traveler from the USA. I'm thinking of weather conditions, special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
Thanks.
Not sure re special events. There is a lot going on in summer and it *mught* be easier to visit Houses of Parliament when in summer recess (August) but I am not sure.

August has relatively good weather but is manic w European tourists. Out in the suburbs and commuting things are quiet but tourist stuff is probably busy. You can get heat waves though and London is not air conditioned by American standards. The Edinburgh Festival also draws away a lot of the theatre and comedy scene.

I would land on September because weather is usually OK and everything is back up and running. The August Bank Holiday is the last weekend in August and that partial week is slow then things pick up.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 am
by rainyday1
May is my favorite month in London. Temperatures are up a bit, the sun is shining more regularly, and spring is magnificent there. Summer gets hot. Although the temps look good on a chart, As the previous poster noted, London is not well air-conditioned!

September is also nice. Europe in summer is hot and crowded in general, so I recommend avoiding the peak travel times.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:55 am
by Valuethinker
rainyday1 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 am
May is my favorite month in London. Temperatures are up a bit, the sun is shining more regularly, and spring is magnificent there. Summer gets hot. Although the temps look good on a chart, As the previous poster noted, London is not well air-conditioned!

September is also nice. Europe in summer is hot and crowded in general, so I recommend avoiding the peak travel times.
From the schools breakup (2nd week in July?) to the August Bank Holiday (last Monday in August) anything tourist related is manic - Natural History Museum etc. There are, however, lots of activities related to kids.

I do think it comes down to May or September, with early June or early October as alternatives. October can be a glorious month, it can also be a month of rain.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 am
by bob60014
April and early May and late September early October. The weather is good, you wont deal with the summer tourist season and the prices for hotels and air fares may be better.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:00 am
by deskjockey
Another vote for May or September. Also agree that April and October are good alternatives, but I would make sure not to go during the Easter school recess--tourist stuff is swamped, too, although not as bad as in August. If you don't mind the chill and short days, November and December are good times to go if your focus is on indoor activities (theater, museums, art galleries, etc.). It never gets really cold, hovering in the 40s and low 50s, rarely dipping near freezing.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:30 am
by ram
England is hosting the cricket world cup from May 30 to July 14 with important matches in London. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Cricket_World_Cup

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:36 am
by btenny
We visited England and London in November and early December in 2017. It was nice cool weather with a little rain. Crowds were not crazy and traffic was OK. We loved the Christmas markets everywhere and all the decorations. England goes crazy for Christmas decorations so all the small towns and streets and stores are decorated to the hilt. It is just beautiful.

https://www.theresident.co.uk/london-cu ... ts-london/

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/oxf ... decorating

https://www.timeout.com/london/things-t ... -in-london

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:08 pm
by yeahman
If you're interested in watching Parliament, go when it's in session.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:18 pm
by Orange44
I saw Thatcher by random chance and it was worth it. For some reason there was no line and we walked right into the galleries to see the "Iron Lady" . Good memory.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:33 pm
by mrspock
rainyday1 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:49 am
May is my favorite month in London. Temperatures are up a bit, the sun is shining more regularly, and spring is magnificent there. Summer gets hot. Although the temps look good on a chart, As the previous poster noted, London is not well air-conditioned!

September is also nice. Europe in summer is hot and crowded in general, so I recommend avoiding the peak travel times.
+1 on May...

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:01 pm
by DrGoogle2017
I like June/July. I was in May once and it was raining almost every single day. I don’t mind tourists.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:34 pm
by Watty
bowtie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
...special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
As far as I know she could live another 10+ years but the queen is 93 and if she dies while you are there I would expect a lot of disruptions in London.

Not much you can do about that except to have your hotel reservations far in advance. If you get reservations that can be cancelled you could change your plans to go someplace else in England if you wanted to.

Also keep up to date on what is going on with the Brexit.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:46 pm
by fortfun
bowtie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
Hi,
I was reading a very informative thread on 'neighborhood recommendations' in London on this site from December 2018, as the OP was planning a trip this June.
I was wondering if there were a 'best' and 'worst' month in which to plan a visit to London for a first-time traveler from the USA. I'm thinking of weather conditions, special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
Thanks.
We were there mid June last year. It was very nice. I've been there in spring--it's a bit chilly, and mid summer--which was a bit warm but not bad. I suspect fall could be very nice.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:50 pm
by BrooklynInvest
My favorite month to visit is September. After the kids are back at school, weather can still be warm.

Have a great time!

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm
by 3504PIR
I’ve visited London dozens of times and lived there for 2 years. In order I prefer Christmas season, September and April.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:38 am
by Valuethinker
Watty wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:34 pm
bowtie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
...special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
As far as I know she could live another 10+ years but the queen is 93 and if she dies while you are there I would expect a lot of disruptions in London.

Not much you can do about that except to have your hotel reservations far in advance. If you get reservations that can be cancelled you could change your plans to go someplace else in England if you wanted to.

Also keep up to date on what is going on with the Brexit.
She seems in good health and her mother lived well past 100 (on reaching 100 one receives a telegram from the monarch. So daughter sent a telegramme to mamah ;-)).

I had somewhat accidentally the privilege of being in the same room as Her Majesty for an hour or so 2 years ago. She seemed as fit as ever, on her feet the whole time.

Her husband, Philip, after all just gave up driving at age 96 after an accident ;-)

The plans for her death and funeral are a state secret alongside plans for nuclear war etc.

When Diana was killed they were caught out. They used the plans drawn up for the Queen Mother. For HM the British state has been preparing for a long time.

The Guardian had a The Long Read piece about it. People would only talk Off The Record.

It will begin with an announcement on the BBC.

The Nation will go into mourning. Doubtless her casket will be moved through all the great cathedral cities. York Liverpool Glasgow Edimburgh Cardiff etc.

The morning of her funeral will be a national holiday I expect. The Heads of State of the worlds countries will converge on St Paul's, chosen over Westminster because it can accommodate a bigger congregation.

The BBC will record its highest viewing ever.

It will be the end of the second Elizabethan era. A reign longer than any other monarch.

Anyways she can't die before 2021. The new tube line, the Elizabeth line, is delayed by 2 years and won't open until then ;-).

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 am
by Valuethinker
3504PIR wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm
I’ve visited London dozens of times and lived there for 2 years. In order I prefer Christmas season, September and April.
Crazy just before Xmas. Then on Christmas Eve and Xmas day it just dies. No public transport. Streets are empty. Almost nothing is open.

A lot of restaurants etc are closed xmas eve to New Year's eve. Tourist sites tend to be very busy.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
by DrGoogle2017
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am
by neilpilot
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
OTOH you can often find a cheap airfare on the actual holiday day. The last time we flew back from Europe (Barcelona) on Christmas day, not only was our ticket cheap but we were comped into Business class.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 am
by DrGoogle2017
neilpilot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
OTOH you can often find a cheap airfare on the actual holiday day. The last time we flew back from Europe (Barcelona) on Christmas day, not only was our ticket cheap but we were comped into Business class.
Good idea if I can convince my husband to skip celebrating Christmas Day. He will look at me like I was growing horns. The whole point of going to UK for Christmas season was to spend the holiday with his mom and dad, not to skip Christmas Day.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 am
by Valuethinker
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
Maybe it's a settled immigrant thing.

But I haven't been inside Harrods in 20 years. Is it nice?

John Lewis on Oxford Street? Yes. Fortnum & Mason's food hall? Yes.

Harrods? No. I hate the whole Knightsbridge area - tourist trap.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am
by Valuethinker
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
OTOH you can often find a cheap airfare on the actual holiday day. The last time we flew back from Europe (Barcelona) on Christmas day, not only was our ticket cheap but we were comped into Business class.
Good idea if I can convince my husband to skip celebrating Christmas Day. He will look at me like I was growing horns. The whole point of going to UK for Christmas season was to spend the holiday with his mom and dad, not to skip Christmas Day.
If you land at Heathrow on Christmas Day (is it even open?) then there is no public transport. How would one continue the journey - car rental? Not sure if any of the car rental places would be open?

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:23 am
by DrGoogle2017
Valuethinker wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
Maybe it's a settled immigrant thing.

But I haven't been inside Harrods in 20 years. Is it nice?

John Lewis on Oxford Street? Yes. Fortnum & Mason's food hall? Yes.

Harrods? No. I hate the whole Knightsbridge area - tourist trap.
It was years ago, where I discovered lots of stuff I didn’t know that they even existed. I haven’t been back recently since I retired, we don’t buy fancy stuff anymore.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:18 am
by neilpilot
Valuethinker wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
OTOH you can often find a cheap airfare on the actual holiday day. The last time we flew back from Europe (Barcelona) on Christmas day, not only was our ticket cheap but we were comped into Business class.
Good idea if I can convince my husband to skip celebrating Christmas Day. He will look at me like I was growing horns. The whole point of going to UK for Christmas season was to spend the holiday with his mom and dad, not to skip Christmas Day.
If you land at Heathrow on Christmas Day (is it even open?) then there is no public transport. How would one continue the journey - car rental? Not sure if any of the car rental places would be open?
I don't typically arrive Heathrow. I know, at least last year, that there was limited coach service between Gatwick and London on the 25th. When I flew from Barcelona on Christmas, the airport bus was certainly running (I don't recall if there was a reduced schedule). DrGoogle2017, just tell your husband that you will fly on New Years eve or day, for similar savings.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:59 pm
by bowtie
Thanks for all the info. Very interesting.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm
by 3504PIR
Valuethinker wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 am
3504PIR wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm
I’ve visited London dozens of times and lived there for 2 years. In order I prefer Christmas season, September and April.
Crazy just before Xmas. Then on Christmas Eve and Xmas day it just dies. No public transport. Streets are empty. Almost nothing is open.

A lot of restaurants etc are closed xmas eve to New Year's eve. Tourist sites tend to be very busy.
I should have been more clear, and I agree with you. By “Christmas season” I specifically mean from the middle November to about the week before Christmas. If you are not visiting family or very close friends for Christmas, it would be one of the more depressing places I can think of on Christmas Day. The streets are empty and everything is closed.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:47 pm
by montanagirl
Orange44 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:18 pm
I saw Thatcher by random chance and it was worth it. For some reason there was no line and we walked right into the galleries to see the "Iron Lady" . Good memory.
I was told spectators weren't allowed anymore unless they had some special connections, because of IRA terrorism . This was in 1986. I would have loved to watch during Question Time! 😕

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:21 am
by Valuethinker
3504PIR wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:41 am
3504PIR wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm
I’ve visited London dozens of times and lived there for 2 years. In order I prefer Christmas season, September and April.
Crazy just before Xmas. Then on Christmas Eve and Xmas day it just dies. No public transport. Streets are empty. Almost nothing is open.

A lot of restaurants etc are closed xmas eve to New Year's eve. Tourist sites tend to be very busy.
I should have been more clear, and I agree with you. By “Christmas season” I specifically mean from the middle November to about the week before Christmas. If you are not visiting family or very close friends for Christmas, it would be one of the more depressing places I can think of on Christmas Day. The streets are empty and everything is closed.
In the lead up to Xmas are all the works dos - colleagues have Xmas lunches or dinners. Every restaurant is fully booked, and the streets are full of loud and drunk suits, ditto the bars & pubs.

Christmas Day is truly strange in London. A city that never really sleeps suddenly switches off.

I agree there is a certain melancholy aspect to it - conversely there is this weird sense of relief.

The reason is the shutdown of public transport, I am sure. Getting a cab on Christmas Day is itself a trial-- they tend to be solidly booked.

Shopping goes manic from Boxing Day, even though that is also an official holiday. And Museums and Galleries, once they reopen, are also crazy - everyone tries to catch up on all the showings they missed.

Getting out of London before Christmas by road, rail or plane is a ticket to overcrowding and frustration. Also the rail tends to do engineering works that next week so you find yourself taking alternative buses, etc.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 am
by Valuethinker
To summarise:

- from the perspective of weather May and September are best, probably, with late April (but avoid the Easter Holiday - remember much of Europe takes a 10 day holiday over Easter) and early to mid October also possible. Weather in July and August should be hotter and drier *but* if you get a heatwave it's pretty tiring, and once the European schools break (early July) the tourist crowds get really overwhelming

- this is also true from the tourist perspective in that everything will be open and there are no European or British school holidays to screw everything up (there are Bank Holidays first and last Monday in May - not sure if the museums are open, then). Other Bank Holiday is last weekend in August.

- London is at its most depressing January- February ish, or if we have a bad bout of March or October-November rain. However it does not rain as much in London as people think. Remember though that we are 51 degrees N (look on a map) and so our winter nights are long by North American standards, and our summer days seem to go on forever

- events cause surges in hotel bookings. In particular football, FA Cup Final for example (at Wembley Stadium). Premier League Championship. So it's worth planning to avoid those if you can. Big conventions tend to be in London Docklands (Excel) so those hotels will book up.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:13 am
by cherijoh
Valuethinker wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:55 am
August has relatively good weather but is manic w European tourists. Out in the suburbs and commuting things are quiet but tourist stuff is probably busy. You can get heat waves though and London is not air conditioned by American standards. The Edinburgh Festival also draws away a lot of the theatre and comedy scene.

I would land on September because weather is usually OK and everything is back up and running. The August Bank Holiday is the last weekend in August and that partial week is slow then things pick up.
August would be my last choice because of the possibility of a heatwave. The London tube during a heatwave is intolerable IMO. (I hit a freak 2-day heatwave in London in early June years ago - I can't imagine an extended heatwave in August). And I live in a hot and humid city in the US south. :wink:

My favorite times to visit Europe are in the shoulder seasons - May and September. Weather is usually OK (although these days who can tell) and you aren't paying the summer premiums for airfare and hotels. Nor do you face the crowds you'll find in the peak season.

I just got back from a 2-week trip to France (Provence and Paris). Weather ranged from a day and a half of freak winds with windchill making it feel like upper 40s to low 50s in the wind (upper 50s to low 60s when protected from the wind) to sunny and upper 60s to mid 70s (the majority of the time). We had a few spurts of drizzle and one afternoon and early evening when it poured. Only the pouring rain kept me totally indoors, although I did spend less time outdoors during the windy period. The key is packing for a wide variety of conditions and researching options for what to do in inclement weather (museums, galleries, etc.).

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm
by DrGoogle2017
Just don’t go to Kew garden in August, it was very hot and humid, especially the hot house that grows Jack fruits.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 pm
by Didymograptus
I would go second week of September (8th to 14th). Schoolchildren are back at school, weather can still be good, it's the last week of the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 pm
by Xrayman69
bowtie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
Hi,
I was reading a very informative thread on 'neighborhood recommendations' in London on this site from December 2018, as the OP was planning a trip this June.
I was wondering if there were a 'best' and 'worst' month in which to plan a visit to London for a first-time traveler from the USA. I'm thinking of weather conditions, special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
Thanks.
As I have stated in a separate post, please understand the traffic NEVER ceases in London (2 am still traffic). Please be prepared to take public transit (the tube, which stops at 11:59 pm weekdays and may go a little linger Saturday night).

Summer months is warm in London and the tube.

Spring nice temperatures but may be cloudy or rain on a moments notice.

Stay near a tube station. Take a double deck tour and sit on top, you will have plenty of time to look as the traffic will not let it go very fast or far.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:28 am
by halfnine
Valuethinker wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 am
neilpilot wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:00 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 am
I’ve been to London many times around Christmas and NewYear, now I avoid going at this time anywhere. Crazy time to get cheap airfares. Probably more expensive than normal. But maybe best to go to Harrods and wait for the sale in January.
OTOH you can often find a cheap airfare on the actual holiday day. The last time we flew back from Europe (Barcelona) on Christmas day, not only was our ticket cheap but we were comped into Business class.
Good idea if I can convince my husband to skip celebrating Christmas Day. He will look at me like I was growing horns. The whole point of going to UK for Christmas season was to spend the holiday with his mom and dad, not to skip Christmas Day.
If you land at Heathrow on Christmas Day (is it even open?) then there is no public transport. How would one continue the journey - car rental? Not sure if any of the car rental places would be open?
If you leave the US on Christmas Day for a cheaper flight most likely you are going to end up in London the next day...Boxing Day. From experience, getting to/from the airport can also be a hastle on this day.

I will definitely concur with others. Spending Christmas or Boxing Day in London as a traveler is an experience better to be missed.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 am
by Valuethinker
cherijoh wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:13 am
Valuethinker wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:55 am
August has relatively good weather but is manic w European tourists. Out in the suburbs and commuting things are quiet but tourist stuff is probably busy. You can get heat waves though and London is not air conditioned by American standards. The Edinburgh Festival also draws away a lot of the theatre and comedy scene.

I would land on September because weather is usually OK and everything is back up and running. The August Bank Holiday is the last weekend in August and that partial week is slow then things pick up.
August would be my last choice because of the possibility of a heatwave. The London tube during a heatwave is intolerable IMO. (I hit a freak 2-day heatwave in London in early June years ago - I can't imagine an extended heatwave in August). And I live in a hot and humid city in the US south. :wink:

My favorite times to visit Europe are in the shoulder seasons - May and September. Weather is usually OK (although these days who can tell) and you aren't paying the summer premiums for airfare and hotels. Nor do you face the crowds you'll find in the peak season.

I just got back from a 2-week trip to France (Provence and Paris). Weather ranged from a day and a half of freak winds with windchill making it feel like upper 40s to low 50s in the wind (upper 50s to low 60s when protected from the wind) to sunny and upper 60s to mid 70s (the majority of the time). We had a few spurts of drizzle and one afternoon and early evening when it poured. Only the pouring rain kept me totally indoors, although I did spend less time outdoors during the windy period. The key is packing for a wide variety of conditions and researching options for what to do in inclement weather (museums, galleries, etc.).
May and September are good because the kids are back in school.

Agree heat waves in London, a city that has spotty to non existent AC, are rough.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:06 am
by Red Spot
bowtie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
Hi,
I was reading a very informative thread on 'neighborhood recommendations' in London on this site from December 2018, as the OP was planning a trip this June.
I was wondering if there were a 'best' and 'worst' month in which to plan a visit to London for a first-time traveler from the USA. I'm thinking of weather conditions, special events to be aware of in order to avoid crowds, etc.
Thanks.
July (5th, 1969)

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm
by sawdust60
If you want to visit Buckingham Palace: ...State Rooms which are open to visitors for 10 weeks each summer (20 July - 29 September 2019) and on selected dates during winter and spring. https://www.rct.uk/visit/the-state-room ... ham-palace

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm
by Socrates
March through May.....summer not good

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm
by California88
During the summer months it will stay light till about 10pm (which is wonderful) ... whereas in the winter it starts getting dark around 4pm.

Re: Best month to visit London?

Posted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 am
by AerialWombat
OP never stated a specific weather preference. :) Personally, I prefer cold and drizzle. I’m not a fan of London proper, but England and Scotland in general are best enjoyed Feb-April, in my humble opinion. It’s an opinion not commonly shared, however.